• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:08
CEST 15:08
KST 22:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7789 users

Q&A w/ Chris Sigaty & David Kim - Page 19

Forum Index > News
388 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 Next All
price
Profile Joined December 2010
United States297 Posts
October 24 2011 15:35 GMT
#361
Do they want SC2 to be a game or to become a sport? I think the best thing that they could do would be to release "pro" edition of SC2 with the additional features that tournaments need. I assume piracy would still be a worry, but if they removed single player & b.net from this version (maybe having only one computer in the lan hub connecting to b.net), wouldn't that solve the problem? Am I missing something? Is this a lot of work on the coding side?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
IheartBANELINGS
Profile Joined October 2011
United States8 Posts
October 24 2011 15:46 GMT
#362
On October 22 2011 14:48 Senzlol wrote:
Remember in warcraft 3 how there was open tournaments every week or few days.... i sure miss that.

i'm suprized no one else mentioned it


i so agree with this. those things were so fun and cometitive that was IMO one of the best/fun in-game ideas that blizzard ever had
Terran needs moar skill pl0cks
Fuzzymonkey
Profile Joined March 2010
United States28 Posts
October 24 2011 17:25 GMT
#363
Where can I find the full interview?
fourColo
Profile Joined June 2011
United States363 Posts
October 24 2011 17:42 GMT
#364
On October 25 2011 00:35 price wrote:
Do they want SC2 to be a game or to become a sport? I think the best thing that they could do would be to release "pro" edition of SC2 with the additional features that tournaments need. I assume piracy would still be a worry, but if they removed single player & b.net from this version (maybe having only one computer in the lan hub connecting to b.net), wouldn't that solve the problem? Am I missing something? Is this a lot of work on the coding side?


Relative to the amount of programmers and money they have? It's practically free compared to, say, making their map editor or their graphics engine or creating all the 3d models and textures in the game.
Alakaslam
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States17336 Posts
October 24 2011 18:26 GMT
#365
How about different ladder rankings for different races?
If you think Elon Musk is a Nazi, it is because YOU radicalized him!
Nausea
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden807 Posts
October 24 2011 19:50 GMT
#366
"on the list" means they will never add it to the game. It's basically a list of things that wont make or break if the game sells. Therefor they wont be putting any manpower on it.
Set it ablaze!
mufin
Profile Joined May 2010
United States616 Posts
October 24 2011 20:24 GMT
#367
Following the sc2 lan debate for the past year, Blizzard's answer to the problem has pretty much evolved into "no... because fuck you".

Kennigit even worded it in a way to ask if the community could do ANYTHING to get offline play into sc2. Blizzards response? still "fuck you".
I only make 5 actions per minute. But since I use all my time deliberating and planning, my 5 actions are so brutally devastating that children cry out and grown men weep.
furerkip
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States439 Posts
October 24 2011 21:01 GMT
#368
Sorry, don't intend to troll, but this is my first internet game, so what exactly is LAN... >_>'
Fuzzymonkey
Profile Joined March 2010
United States28 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 21:19:37
October 24 2011 21:19 GMT
#369
LAN = Local Area Network. In short its a way of playing multi-player games without using the internet. This means that you are not at the mercy of bad connections from ISPs which are not your fault. See: MLG Dallas.
price
Profile Joined December 2010
United States297 Posts
October 24 2011 21:24 GMT
#370
On October 25 2011 06:19 Fuzzymonkey wrote:
LAN = Local Area Network. In short its a way of playing multi-player games without using the internet. This means that you are not at the mercy of bad connections from ISPs which are not your fault. See: MLG Dallas.


Didn't IPL3, NASL finals, and other tourneys suffer from issues, too? From what I remember, MLG had to fork over a bundle to improve their connectivity, too.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
MildSeven
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada311 Posts
October 24 2011 21:48 GMT
#371
hots so far away still, i am sure when it comes out, much more than what can be discussed will come into fruition
Coeus1
Profile Joined May 2010
Finland160 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-24 21:53:36
October 24 2011 21:52 GMT
#372
On October 24 2011 09:19 fourColo wrote:
.....better. Riot can do reconnecting, are they smarter than all of blizzard? Probably not. Riot's pretty rich too but nowhere near as rich as Blizzard. I think everyone feels like saying "If I were in charge of hundreds of programmers and had unlimited money, I would do X, Y, and Z which are really obvious and easy and it would make the game so much better".


This reminds me..
If you work/are close to the industry, you know that everyone thinks he/she is a game designer.

Anyway, unfortunately in a big company like Blizzard adding a feature is not like one guy coding new feature in Minecraft over the weekend and BAM it's there.

You have this battle.net team that handles those million concurrent users and then the SC2 team. Already during development they had disputes on what to do and how (or so i read).

I have no idea how their whole process goes. But looks like it's a pain in the ass to get anything new implemented in the game. Anything except balance changes / unit changes, because they knew from the start that it's a big deal.

And maybe all the core guys are already doing something more important which slows things down. You can't just let some noob programmer implement your group replay system because it requires changes to many places and rewriting some of the code. *speculating*

Anyway, small developers seem to be more agile with these things.
xxx
GathFox
Profile Joined September 2010
United States58 Posts
October 25 2011 02:23 GMT
#373
Group replays are most important to me. That will allow me and my buds to share replays and have more in depth analysis of them.
I will be able to point out exactly what your talking about and wont have to go through the hassle of e-mailing replays. Otherwise the way my cousin shows me his replays is he comes over to my house and takes along his entire desktop with its monster screen lol.
wise men win before they fight while the ignorant fight to win
aethereality
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada62 Posts
October 25 2011 03:58 GMT
#374
On October 25 2011 06:52 Coeus1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 24 2011 09:19 fourColo wrote:
.....better. Riot can do reconnecting, are they smarter than all of blizzard? Probably not. Riot's pretty rich too but nowhere near as rich as Blizzard. I think everyone feels like saying "If I were in charge of hundreds of programmers and had unlimited money, I would do X, Y, and Z which are really obvious and easy and it would make the game so much better".


This reminds me..
If you work/are close to the industry, you know that everyone thinks he/she is a game designer.

Anyway, unfortunately in a big company like Blizzard adding a feature is not like one guy coding new feature in Minecraft over the weekend and BAM it's there.

You have this battle.net team that handles those million concurrent users and then the SC2 team. Already during development they had disputes on what to do and how (or so i read).

I have no idea how their whole process goes. But looks like it's a pain in the ass to get anything new implemented in the game. Anything except balance changes / unit changes, because they knew from the start that it's a big deal.

And maybe all the core guys are already doing something more important which slows things down. You can't just let some noob programmer implement your group replay system because it requires changes to many places and rewriting some of the code. *speculating*

Anyway, small developers seem to be more agile with these things.



That's actually really good insight, I'd never considered that. Even working for a large, non-gaming-related corporation, I can definitely see that viewpoint. Executives aren't flexible at all. SHAREHOLDERS SHAREHOLDERS SHAREHOLDERS, basically.

Anyway, I'm super excited for group replays! What a great avenue to make fun of my scrub friends.
pretensile
Profile Joined August 2010
135 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-25 11:17:00
October 25 2011 11:00 GMT
#375
It's easy for us to shake our pitchforks and heap abuse on Blizzard for being uncaring, soulless cashvacuums, but do you know what I actually do when I look for someone to blame? I stand in front the mirror, look myself in the eye, and shake my head sadly in disgust. Because even though I swore I wouldn't shell out $150-200 for a single game, even though I begged my friends to hold off on purchasing Wings of Liberty until there was a price reduction (a pipe dream, in retrospect) -- who was the one who ultimately ended up meekly handing over $60 and saying, "Thank you, Blizzard"? That's right: Me.

At the end of the day, we're all complicit with Blizzard in its handling of these hot-button issues. Sure, we might mumble and grumble and gnash our teeth -- but grumbling never cost Blizzard a cent: our dollars and financial support speak loudest. Why implement LAN at all if including it would surely cost them some sales, but excluding it doesn't lose them a single transaction? Similarly, why include multiple ID support (even though Broodwar had limitless IDs per game copy, if memory serves) when people and teams will happily snap up smurf accounts with nary a complaint?

The power is supposed to be in our hands as the consumers, not Blizzard's. What's the ultimate solution then? I am not certain; but I doubt it was showing up in droves at the Anaheim Convention Center to shower Browder and Co. with thunderous applause! (Where were the pickets demanding LAN, and therefore tarnishing Blizzard's reputation at their very own signature event?)

As for action on my own part, I don't know what to do, though I'm open to suggestions. I have a strong feeling I'll end up caving to peer pressure and becoming Blizzard's (un)willing accomplice yet again with Heart of the Swarm's release. And when that happens, it'll be back to looking at myself in the mirror with disdain whenever I think of why there isn't LAN in Starcraft 2.
TeH_CaRnAg3
Profile Joined March 2010
United States239 Posts
October 25 2011 15:10 GMT
#376
working with pros in hots beta is smart. Hopefully our concerns with the new units and balance issues can be solved or at least helped by their presence
I stole leonardo dicaprios ladder points
D_K_night
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada615 Posts
October 25 2011 22:37 GMT
#377
On October 23 2011 19:58 Roflhaxx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2011 12:36 Sinensis wrote:
On October 22 2011 12:23 Plansix wrote:
On October 22 2011 12:18 Sinensis wrote:
On October 22 2011 12:18 Plansix wrote:
On October 22 2011 12:16 Sinensis wrote:
Marketplace and microtransactions higher up on "the list" than stupid basic stuff like clans, group replay, and being able to watch pro games on their client? Are they short on cash or something? Why not just release another special edition mount if that's the case?

I sort of wish Valve would make an SC clone.


And force you to install a store on your computer to play their game?


What do you think Blizzard marketplace is?


The exact same thing. I love Steam to death and think it is awesome. I am just pointing out that Valve does a lot of the stuff it does for free because they install a store on your PC and then make money off you buying stuff.

Blizzard is looking for some of that. Money coming in after release means better support for a given game.


Activision Blizzard revenue: $4.768 billion per year (US dollars per year) (trailing 12-month value as of June 30, 2011)

Valve's isn't half of that.

And still Valve makes better games =/


but there's still no RTS from Valve, why is that
Canada
A x i o M
Profile Joined March 2011
United States78 Posts
October 26 2011 01:07 GMT
#378
+ Show Spoiler +
On October 25 2011 20:00 pretensile wrote:
It's easy for us to shake our pitchforks and heap abuse on Blizzard for being uncaring, soulless cashvacuums, but do you know what I actually do when I look for someone to blame? I stand in front the mirror, look myself in the eye, and shake my head sadly in disgust. Because even though I swore I wouldn't shell out $150-200 for a single game, even though I begged my friends to hold off on purchasing Wings of Liberty until there was a price reduction (a pipe dream, in retrospect) -- who was the one who ultimately ended up meekly handing over $60 and saying, "Thank you, Blizzard"? That's right: Me.

At the end of the day, we're all complicit with Blizzard in its handling of these hot-button issues. Sure, we might mumble and grumble and gnash our teeth -- but grumbling never cost Blizzard a cent: our dollars and financial support speak loudest. Why implement LAN at all if including it would surely cost them some sales, but excluding it doesn't lose them a single transaction? Similarly, why include multiple ID support (even though Broodwar had limitless IDs per game copy, if memory serves) when people and teams will happily snap up smurf accounts with nary a complaint?

The power is supposed to be in our hands as the consumers, not Blizzard's. What's the ultimate solution then? I am not certain; but I doubt it was showing up in droves at the Anaheim Convention Center to shower Browder and Co. with thunderous applause! (Where were the pickets demanding LAN, and therefore tarnishing Blizzard's reputation at their very own signature event?)

As for action on my own part, I don't know what to do, though I'm open to suggestions. I have a strong feeling I'll end up caving to peer pressure and becoming Blizzard's (un)willing accomplice yet again with Heart of the Swarm's release. And when that happens, it'll be back to looking at myself in the mirror with disdain whenever I think of why there isn't LAN in Starcraft 2.

Wiser words have never been said.
"Get thee to a nunnery...dick." -Day[9] | "Sup son." -SelecT | “If anyone ever doubts your passion towards eSports, tell them you were here in 2011 at Blizzcon and watched the GSL Finals. Thank you very much. I love you all.” -Jun Kyu Park
Sweetfrost
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden213 Posts
October 26 2011 15:20 GMT
#379
I think it's positive that they will try to arrange some sort of LAN for the tournaments at least. It's horrible to see a player get dropped or a laging game in a major match!
Before practice, we ate Kimchi soup made my MMA. His cooking has made me so depressed that I think we may lose GSTL." -Miya
VsTerminus
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada42 Posts
October 26 2011 23:54 GMT
#380
On October 22 2011 11:55 Dental Floss wrote:
Its really weird that they see group replays being less important than the marketplace. Its such basic functionality!

When I read that I thought about the fact that blizzard has put profitability ahead of consumer satisfaction.

It's somewhat sad to see that with how great of a game SC2 is, the Dev team seems to be focusing more on their profitability rather than what the fans and players want from it.

Clan support, Lan support, Name Changes, all of these should be a priority prior to HotS. These things should've been a priority the minute WoL launched and/or the moment it boomed as big as it has.

Prev 1 17 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 177
Rex101
ComeBackTV 87
SteadfastSC63
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
CosmosSc2 22
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech129
Rex 101
SteadfastSC 63
CosmosSc2 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50359
Hyuk 1499
Jaedong 923
Soma 456
Horang2 394
Soulkey 394
EffOrt 375
BeSt 375
Mini 344
actioN 314
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Last 296
Light 269
Zeus 247
ggaemo 235
Larva 189
910 163
Rush 135
Snow 132
ZerO 105
Killer 97
Pusan 73
Mind 70
Shine 49
JYJ 45
Free 42
Creator 41
hero 39
Sharp 37
Shinee 33
sorry 26
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
Yoon 23
HiyA 14
Terrorterran 13
yabsab 12
Noble 12
Sacsri 8
Icarus 7
Rock 4
Dota 2
Gorgc9437
Dendi756
Counter-Strike
markeloff414
edward4
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1683
crisheroes1337
Other Games
gofns42035
singsing2041
olofmeister1279
B2W.Neo753
hiko404
byalli334
Pyrionflax289
XBOCT282
DeMusliM242
ArmadaUGS96
Mew2King84
Liquid`VortiX55
QueenE29
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1876
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream120
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH342
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1813
Other Games
• WagamamaTV183
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
20h 52m
OSC
23h 52m
Stellar Fest
23h 52m
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 23h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.