• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:47
CEST 04:47
KST 11:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6520 users

[SC2] Passing the Torch - Page 9

Forum Index > News
182 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Prophecy3
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada223 Posts
July 29 2010 22:24 GMT
#161
The burden then is laid on us, the players.


We have the opportunity with the Internet to make a profound change in our community and barring any seriously bad decisions by Activision it should be for the better!

That being said; Here's to TL for never settling for less then best. Lets make it another stellar decade of starcraft!
Ignorance is Bliss? Indifferance is Atrocity.
FromEarthWithLove
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom8 Posts
July 30 2010 00:16 GMT
#162
I think SC2 will remove a lot of the newbs/hackers from BW - that has to be a good thing!
SuperDuper
Profile Joined July 2010
United States3 Posts
July 30 2010 02:05 GMT
#163
I like how sc2 is three days old and some people have the audacity to state that it looks to be a "boring/average game". That's like looking at an infant and saying "well... compared to your 12 year old brother you're gonna probably suck. Sorry bro."
cgrinker
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3824 Posts
July 30 2010 04:22 GMT
#164
That was the mission where you meet Kerrigan hater
G5
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States2921 Posts
July 30 2010 10:13 GMT
#165
On July 30 2010 09:16 FromEarthWithLove wrote:
I think SC2 will remove a lot of the newbs/hackers from BW - that has to be a good thing!


Wrong, it will remove newbs / hackers from SC2.
Oozo
Profile Joined December 2009
Finland432 Posts
July 30 2010 10:38 GMT
#166
On July 30 2010 05:33 Captain Calamity wrote:

This is a critical point

My play skills are very very bad (I was too old when brood war came out) however that dosent mean I cant enjoy watching the game.. and SC2 is better to watch than BW, and will make better TV.


I can't watch SC2 streams at all. Neither I can watch any tournaments they make. Really simple, its friggin booring. Seriously at this moment(maybe not in future of prosports in SC2) all I've seen is bashing the wall tactics. Make army composition (1-2-3 units of type usually), bash them to opponent, cross fingers for GG.

Thats not entertaining, and fairly intresting in competitive point. There is few fancy micro rushes(also some call them cheeses), but thats about it.

I really hope SC2 can introduce something new to the board, maybe new maps that bring diversity or new "must" micro, to give it "who is doing something right" factor. When I just see 2 masses of armys clashing and other GG, it gets boring in the long run.

Another aspect that is lacking severly is in Terran matchup where stationary battles and slowpushes make entertaining games, In SC2 its just too slow to keep up with anything.

As singleplayer game its overachieving and really fun game. Multiplayer esport game that is broadcasted, just "no". Let's wait till few expansions are up and we get to see more... maybe then (big maybe).
SKT for OSL!
Carnagath
Profile Joined July 2010
230 Posts
July 30 2010 11:23 GMT
#167
On July 30 2010 19:38 Jienny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2010 05:33 Captain Calamity wrote:

This is a critical point

My play skills are very very bad (I was too old when brood war came out) however that dosent mean I cant enjoy watching the game.. and SC2 is better to watch than BW, and will make better TV.


I can't watch SC2 streams at all. Neither I can watch any tournaments they make. Really simple, its friggin booring. Seriously at this moment(maybe not in future of prosports in SC2) all I've seen is bashing the wall tactics. Make army composition (1-2-3 units of type usually), bash them to opponent, cross fingers for GG.

Thats not entertaining, and fairly intresting in competitive point. There is few fancy micro rushes(also some call them cheeses), but thats about it.

I really hope SC2 can introduce something new to the board, maybe new maps that bring diversity or new "must" micro, to give it "who is doing something right" factor. When I just see 2 masses of armys clashing and other GG, it gets boring in the long run.

Another aspect that is lacking severly is in Terran matchup where stationary battles and slowpushes make entertaining games, In SC2 its just too slow to keep up with anything.

As singleplayer game its overachieving and really fun game. Multiplayer esport game that is broadcasted, just "no". Let's wait till few expansions are up and we get to see more... maybe then (big maybe).


Oh, so BW is more entertaining to watch? For example the Flash vs Jaedong games where the whole "action" of every game was whether Flash was going to successfully wall off his fast expo and defend it against 5 hydras? Come on, seriously. Also, the fact that you call SC2 "too slow" tells me that you've probably never played it.
"If you can chill, chill". -Tyler
palexhur
Profile Joined May 2010
Colombia730 Posts
July 30 2010 15:48 GMT
#168

Oh, so BW is more entertaining to watch? For example the Flash vs Jaedong games where the whole "action" of every game was whether Flash was going to successfully wall off his fast expo and defend it against 5 hydras? Come on, seriously. Also, the fact that you call SC2 "too slow" tells me that you've probably never played it.


So everyone who says that SC2 is boring to watch has never played the game or just hate the world or blah blah?, for me SC2 is a hell of boring game to watch and I got the game, I even got a new pc in order to play it, but you are only a fanboy who just wants to criticize the people because it is free on the internet.
Carnagath
Profile Joined July 2010
230 Posts
July 30 2010 16:28 GMT
#169
On July 31 2010 00:48 palexhur wrote:

Show nested quote +
Oh, so BW is more entertaining to watch? For example the Flash vs Jaedong games where the whole "action" of every game was whether Flash was going to successfully wall off his fast expo and defend it against 5 hydras? Come on, seriously. Also, the fact that you call SC2 "too slow" tells me that you've probably never played it.


So everyone who says that SC2 is boring to watch has never played the game or just hate the world or blah blah?, for me SC2 is a hell of boring game to watch and I got the game, I even got a new pc in order to play it, but you are only a fanboy who just wants to criticize the people because it is free on the internet.


No, everyone who says it's too slow has never played it. Also, you're criticizing me right now if I'm not mistaken, so touche.
"If you can chill, chill". -Tyler
Oozo
Profile Joined December 2009
Finland432 Posts
July 30 2010 18:48 GMT
#170
On July 30 2010 20:23 Carnagath wrote:

Oh, so BW is more entertaining to watch? For example the Flash vs Jaedong games where the whole "action" of every game was whether Flash was going to successfully wall off his fast expo and defend it against 5 hydras? Come on, seriously. Also, the fact that you call SC2 "too slow" tells me that you've probably never played it.



I have played it, since beta.

I have watched it since beta.

And if you clearly decide game in just if Flash just defended game against JD.... Man just no, no... There is just more, much more. And no I am not Flash fan, instead im Fantasy fan. Looks more in to the BW game. There is such much more in to the game(like micro and macro).

This statement seems like you have not actually watched game. (ps. its starcraft: BW)
SKT for OSL!
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9558 Posts
July 30 2010 19:10 GMT
#171
On July 29 2010 01:55 Saracen wrote:
I like SC2 because it's so much smoother. My drones don't glitch out when I try to pull them out of the mineral line or when they try to build hatcheries. I actually like MBS and infinite select and automine because I can focus my attention on cutesy stuff that I wasn't able to do in BW. That said, SC2 still doesn't (yet) have the strategic depth of BW, but I don't think I'll be going back as long as the SC2 competitive scene remains alive.

So YOU'RE the culprit in teamliquid news team that is responsible for all this anti-bw propaganda!

haha just kidding, but seriously though, to an old BW player like me, who cares about SC2 just as much as he cares for W3 (read none), this news post certainly can tick off the wrong buttons ^^.

Just as many other people here I'm sure, I'm here for BW, so bidding a fond farewell to BroodWar would mean bidding a fond farewell to Teamliquid and that is one thing I sure as hell don't want to happen!

Cheers!
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
July 30 2010 21:07 GMT
#172
On July 30 2010 19:38 Jienny wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 30 2010 05:33 Captain Calamity wrote:

This is a critical point

My play skills are very very bad (I was too old when brood war came out) however that dosent mean I cant enjoy watching the game.. and SC2 is better to watch than BW, and will make better TV.


I can't watch SC2 streams at all. Neither I can watch any tournaments they make. Really simple, its friggin booring. Seriously at this moment(maybe not in future of prosports in SC2) all I've seen is bashing the wall tactics. Make army composition (1-2-3 units of type usually), bash them to opponent, cross fingers for GG.

Thats not entertaining, and fairly intresting in competitive point. There is few fancy micro rushes(also some call them cheeses), but thats about it.

I really hope SC2 can introduce something new to the board, maybe new maps that bring diversity or new "must" micro, to give it "who is doing something right" factor. When I just see 2 masses of armys clashing and other GG, it gets boring in the long run.

Another aspect that is lacking severly is in Terran matchup where stationary battles and slowpushes make entertaining games, In SC2 its just too slow to keep up with anything.

As singleplayer game its overachieving and really fun game. Multiplayer esport game that is broadcasted, just "no". Let's wait till few expansions are up and we get to see more... maybe then (big maybe).

I was of the same opinion until I watched the Tester v Rainbow set from the KotB semifinals. Some of the play was very odd, but it was more entertaining than a lot of what I'd seen up to that point.
Moderator
lepape
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada557 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-31 04:16:02
July 31 2010 02:04 GMT
#173
I also fit in the ''watching SC2 is boring to watch'' category. Even playing it after a few weeks was getting boring (and no, not because I got crushed).

I think the main problem with SC2 right now, not mentionning Battle.net 2.0, is the lack of oh shit units. Units like vultures, reavers, lurkers, defilers, spectacular units that can turn the tide of the game in just a few seconds.

In SC2, I can think of Banelings in this category, maybe hellions... that's about it. Last time I watched games, Reapers, DTs were semi-viable, High Templars lost the ''one storm wonder'' aspect of the show, it seems all about armies clashing into another, it feels repetitive.

I still have a lot of faith in Blizzard and I'm sure expansions will fix most of our complaints, but for now, I couldnt care less about SC2 and it's competitive scene.
Nonsense
Profile Joined July 2010
United States53 Posts
July 31 2010 06:05 GMT
#174
what if you have a tournament to see who can throw the stone the furthest? does that count?
Carnagath
Profile Joined July 2010
230 Posts
July 31 2010 08:15 GMT
#175
On July 31 2010 11:04 lepape wrote:
I also fit in the ''watching SC2 is boring to watch'' category. Even playing it after a few weeks was getting boring (and no, not because I got crushed).

I think the main problem with SC2 right now, not mentionning Battle.net 2.0, is the lack of oh shit units. Units like vultures, reavers, lurkers, defilers, spectacular units that can turn the tide of the game in just a few seconds.

In SC2, I can think of Banelings in this category, maybe hellions... that's about it. Last time I watched games, Reapers, DTs were semi-viable, High Templars lost the ''one storm wonder'' aspect of the show, it seems all about armies clashing into another, it feels repetitive.

I still have a lot of faith in Blizzard and I'm sure expansions will fix most of our complaints, but for now, I couldnt care less about SC2 and it's competitive scene.


I know what you mean, but SC2 has plenty of "oh shit" units. Units like Hellions, Reapers, Banshees, blink Stalkers and Warp Prisms (and in my opinion the yet horribly underused Nydus Worm) were especially designed for constant harassment and massive damage and they are very "oh shit" if used correctly (see TLO and Whitera). High Templars may not melt everything instantly now, but they are still VERY "oh shit", they decimate low-hp units and can feedback critical Tier 3 units for massive damage. Colossus is also very "oh-shit". Also, pretty much every late army composition feels more "oh-shit", because it needs to be scouted early and countered in a meaningful and imaginative way, not merely via Scourge, Psi or Lockdown.
"If you can chill, chill". -Tyler
Fu-Fo-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7 Posts
July 31 2010 10:15 GMT
#176
Thank you. Nice article.
Vreck
Profile Joined July 2010
Denmark9 Posts
July 31 2010 10:46 GMT
#177
I hear alot of talk about whether or not e-Sports can be forced onto a game like SC2. But I see that people here aren't really taking anything other than the RTS Starcraft franchise into account.

If we look at the FPS industry, the first Counter-Strike was just a mod (unforced, as BW was) with no intention of becoming integrated with e-Sports. But it grew to become one of the most dominant FPS games in e-Sport culture.

Along came Counter-Strike: Source. This game had no single-player and was actually "forced" as an e-Sport game by Valve. And to this day, it still is played at very high competitive levels. So the whole "a game cannot be forced into e-Sports" is an invalid statement.

Sure, CSS is nowhere near Starcraft in terms of mainstream in Korea, but that doesn't make my conclusion any less true. You also have to remember (if you were ever part of the early CSS days) that Counter-Strike: Source had very limited to no support from the community (because CS 1.6 was still very viable in e-Sports), when it was released... It was made what it is purely from the people establishing tournaments and leagues.
ReDTerraN
Profile Joined July 2009
Sweden88 Posts
August 01 2010 00:10 GMT
#178
the emperor :,)

come to sc2!!
I support the emperor! not false GODS!
IntrepidFool
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1 Post
August 01 2010 01:09 GMT
#179
After reading this wonderful article and every reply, I feel compelled to chime in. I loved SC/BW back in the day and will always have fond memories. (Heck, I even installed BW and started playing it again about a year or so ago when I began actively following the SC2 news.) I still occasionally watch a podcast to check out the pro scene and feel the nostalgia. But, in my opinion, the SC2 haters have it wrong right now. I know, change is hard. But, be honest with yourselves, BW is NOT going to attract new players. It just isn't. Instead of bashing SC2, you should be helping make it (or another game) better - as the OP stated with the whole torch passing idea. It (or another game) is the future of eSports (if there is a future). Holding onto the past and pretending change won't happen doesn't make it so.

I'd also like to address the idea of podcasts/streamed BW games being better than SC2 games. This is just silly. The ONLY reason someone would prefer to watch a BW game is because they have intimate knowledge of the game/players/etc. (I would wager dollars to donuts that if you showed 10 players new to SC replays of BW and SC2 all 10 would prefer to watch SC2.) SC2 is better looking, smoother, has many cool statistics screens for replays, seems to have greater variety of openings/strategies, lots of cool harassment opportunities, appears to require more countering/adapting to opponent choices, and is new enough to where everyone is just learning how to play it. I played BW for years, but the fast-paced, aggressive style of gameplay at the tournament and diamond level in SC2 is more interesting to watch than what I've seen lately in BW. While I am continually amazed by the crazy micro top BW players display, the games still have a 'been there, done that' feel for me. Personally, while I love good micro, I think skill in gaming is more than just this. It has been very cool how many games that appeared 'over' in SC2 have flip-flopped (often multiple times) before someone actually won. Also, it is nice to hear genuine excitement in the podcasters voices as they comment on these SC2 matches. To me, this just makes for a better viewing experience.

I'm hoping that SC2 brings another decade of relevance to the franchise.

Just my $.02.
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
August 01 2010 22:06 GMT
#180
I find it funny that people say there's no criticism on Starcraft 2 on this site and it's all hype. Reading most of the threads here, the general consensus seems to me that SC2 is already dead on arrival. So are people just glossing over almost every single thread here?
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2510
NotJumperer 10
Dota 2
monkeys_forever878
NeuroSwarm214
Other Games
summit1g6194
Coldzera 781
Day[9].tv738
JimRising 690
C9.Mang0362
PiGStarcraft266
ArmadaUGS34
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick952
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream344
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv738
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
7h 13m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
21h 13m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.