• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:34
CEST 21:34
KST 04:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7435 users

No GOM Classic Season 4? - Page 14

Forum Index > News
401 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 21 Next All
AlTheCake
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada1071 Posts
September 14 2009 23:54 GMT
#261
GESPA STRIKES AGAIN
Gnaix
Profile Joined February 2009
United States438 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-14 23:55:37
September 14 2009 23:55 GMT
#262
In Korea, you don't fuck kespa, kespa fucks you!
one thing that sc2 has over bw is the fact that I can actually manage my hotkeys
InToTheWannaB
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4770 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 00:01:15
September 14 2009 23:59 GMT
#263
I honestly think the whole thing comes down to this. Kespa wants to be BKespa(The blizzard Korean E-sports association.) The people at Kespa just want to know they will have a job once SC2 comes out. By being a pain in the ass now. They are just hoping Blizzard will rather cut a deal with them rather then fight them. Blizzard likely will too. Kespa has already been doing this a long time, and have all there people in place. Kespa may never again be called "kespa", but i bet at some point blizzard will just uses there infrastructure and slaps there name over it.
When the spirit is not altogether slain, great loss teaches men and women to desire greatly, both for themselves and for others.
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
September 15 2009 00:26 GMT
#264
On September 15 2009 08:52 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 08:33 Machine[eh] wrote:
On September 14 2009 17:47 p4NDemik wrote:
Honestly I won't miss the tournament as a whole very much - there's just so many games being played when PL/MSL/OSL all get running at full speed, and GOM was never something I would make time to watch. I will however miss the chances to see unique/old-timer gamers in proper televised matches and not just prelims.


This is exactly how I feel about this.

I mean, GOM was good, but it always came after MSL/OSL/PL in prestige and excitement. Hopefully something good comes from this and we can get more English commentary on MSL/OSL/PL.

I'd argue that there's already an overabundance of English commentary on non-GOM leagues. The demand GOM satisfied wasn't English commentary in general, but live, professional (in terms of mic quality, the casters' presence at GOM's studio), and conveniently available English commentary.

I am downplaying GOM's importance a bit, so I'd like to check myself by saying that, especially after reading all of the comments from new BW fans who were drawn by the tournament, I agree that it's been the most significant development in the foreign BW scene in the past few years. GOM bridged the gap between foreigner and Korean like no other tournament.


Exactly. GOM brings in people who otherwise would never watch or play starcraft. They were willing to drop a lot of money (building a studio, hiring people who actually sound professional) to target a market that Korea has otherwise been totally unable or unwilling to tap. I don't think you can overstate just how important it was that they made actual headway into hitting the foreign market, and its unreal how they were treated by the other businesses.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
September 15 2009 00:29 GMT
#265
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
September 15 2009 00:29 GMT
#266
On September 15 2009 08:59 InToTheWannaB wrote:
I honestly think the whole thing comes down to this. Kespa wants to be BKespa(The blizzard Korean E-sports association.) The people at Kespa just want to know they will have a job once SC2 comes out. By being a pain in the ass now. They are just hoping Blizzard will rather cut a deal with them rather then fight them. Blizzard likely will too. Kespa has already been doing this a long time, and have all there people in place. Kespa may never again be called "kespa", but i bet at some point blizzard will just uses there infrastructure and slaps there name over it.


Given how absolutely incompetent Kespa has been as a governing body over the last year in their own leagues (DQs, the hilarious attempt at "free agency") this seems way less likely than this just being another case of overall ineptitude.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
RyanS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States620 Posts
September 15 2009 00:55 GMT
#267
We will have to wait for more official news about this, a twitter post is not exactly confirmation.

We also do not know how the players feel about this. I think the players would be mixed about this. Some might be way too busy to practice for all of the leagues, while other lesser known players might want as many opportunities as possible to show what they have. Or players may want the opportunity to win as much prize money as possible. Of course we as foreign fans want GOM, but maybe the majority of the players do not.

If the majority of the players do in fact want this tournament, I think the only way to stop the kespa bullshit is a protest. If all teams/players agreed to just sit in the booths and not play when the games started during proleague regular season then that would get the point across pretty well. I'm not sure if they would ever do something like that or if everyone would agree with it though.
Avidkeystamper
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States8556 Posts
September 15 2009 00:59 GMT
#268
I don't know about Korean, but judging from the fans here, if KeSPA and Blizzard would ever set up separate leagues in SC2, KeSPA's would lose by a landslide in terms of support.
Jaedong
hiro protagonist
Profile Joined January 2009
1294 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 01:01:34
September 15 2009 01:00 GMT
#269
hmmmm, conundrum.

I think what JWD said about the teams backing down as apposed to kespa interfering seems more realistic. with so many leagues, and proleague becoming so important that every match maters, there is just no room for another league without it hindering the players involved. you could tell by the end of GOM season 3 that some players were stressed to the max, and GOM was last on the list of important things.

Now, if GOM could become a league for B teamers (who have much more time on there hands and could do with the experience of some TV matches) that would be fucking great!
"I guess if you climb enough off-widths, one of these days, your gonna get your knee stuck and shit your pants. Its just an odds thing really" -Jason Kruk
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 01:03:38
September 15 2009 01:01 GMT
#270
On September 15 2009 07:00 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 06:45 Hinanawi wrote:
On September 15 2009 06:33 Chill wrote:
On September 15 2009 06:28 Hinanawi wrote:
I've yet to hear any valid reason for KeSPA's actions from any of its defenders. People say "They're just acting in self-interest, what's so wrong with that?", but their PURPOSE is supposed to be to promote the growth of E-sports.

What are you basing that on? Their purpose is to protect their company's interests and nothing else.


Nobody's saying they CAN'T work against the growth of e-sports, but people have a right to call them on it when they do, especially when they claim to be an organization that exists to prop up E-sports. I haven't seen anyone here say 'Let's sue KeSPA!', just a bunch of people saying 'KeSPA is fucking terrible', which is a fair opinion.

Besides, KeSPA is going to get reamed by Blizzard in the end anyway, like I said. They can enjoy their asshattery for one more year.

This is circular logic, based on the assumption that they were formed to promote e-sports. It is my position that they weren't, so they have no responsibility to promote e-sports, and they have no resposibility to act positively with competition.

Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 06:37 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Chill, I'm pretty sure that fighting Blizzard is not in their "best interests". I mean, with how much money they COULD make from SC2 getting big, I can't imagine this shit would be worth it even if they do "win" and get to keep the SC1 scene the way it is.

Even if they have to pay royalties, surely that's better than fucking up the stability of the Korean esports scene to the point where it might not even be viable anymore...

We can speculate all we want. Being nice and letting Blizzard into the Korean market now isn't going to affect Blizzard's actions with SC2. Business isn't nice. If they're going to get muscled out of SC2, they need ground to stand on, which they've maintained.

Situation 1: KeSPA works with Blizzard now. Blizzard takes some of their market. SC2 comes out and Blizzard takes the remaining majority of their market.

Situation 2: KeSPA denies Blizzard. SC2 comes out and progamers have to make a choice of being on an SC1 team or a completely separate SC2 team.

Situation 2 is way better for KeSPA, which is what they've done. Why would you expect them to lie down when Blizzard has done nothing to get these leagues going, and is only now showing up trying to capitalize.

As far as I've understood it, Blizzard has no interest in actually taking over ALL of it - they just want a cut. I mean, if that was the case, then *of course* they'd have to fight, but as best I understand this is nowhere near what is happening.

Of course, it's all speculation as you said...

If they didn't decide to go to war with Blizzard, they would still have OSL and MSL, and those leagues would STILL be the top dogs. GOM is small in Korea - why would things be so different for SC2?

Now they are faced with a situation where instead of a setback they could be faced with total collapse...
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
September 15 2009 01:05 GMT
#271
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.
✌
sYz-Adrenaline
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States1850 Posts
September 15 2009 01:07 GMT
#272
can we like sign a petition or something? lol btw Happy birthday JWD
Can you feel the rush?
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
September 15 2009 01:36 GMT
#273
On September 15 2009 10:05 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.


How is it in their self-interest? I don't work for them or any of their sites. To me personally, it's been a massive help. Also it's not always volunteer work. I'm currently interning with Fomos and working for TL.net. Without Kespa's help I would not have been able to cover any of the finals for the last two years.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
September 15 2009 01:59 GMT
#274
gom has the biggest prize winnings though right? =/
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
September 15 2009 02:02 GMT
#275
I'm waiting for GTR's post.
Moderator<:3-/-<
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
September 15 2009 02:04 GMT
#276
On September 15 2009 10:36 NeverGG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 10:05 JWD wrote:
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.


How is it in their self-interest? I don't work for them or any of their sites. To me personally, it's been a massive help. Also it's not always volunteer work. I'm currently interning with Fomos and working for TL.net. Without Kespa's help I would not have been able to cover any of the finals for the last two years.

KeSPA gave you a pass to cover their event. How is that anything to be thankful for?

It's like a company allowing a news reporter to interview them.
Moderator
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 02:10:54
September 15 2009 02:08 GMT
#277
On September 15 2009 11:04 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 10:36 NeverGG wrote:
On September 15 2009 10:05 JWD wrote:
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.


How is it in their self-interest? I don't work for them or any of their sites. To me personally, it's been a massive help. Also it's not always volunteer work. I'm currently interning with Fomos and working for TL.net. Without Kespa's help I would not have been able to cover any of the finals for the last two years.

KeSPA gave you a pass to cover their event. How is that anything to be thankful for?

It's like a company allowing a news reporter to interview them.


I *knew* you'd have to chime in about this. I'm thankful for it and I'd like to hope that some people here on TL.net are too.

If you're not thankful for the time, money and effort I've put into getting those press passes and reporting on my free time for TL then maybe it's easier for me not to bother in the future. Some of the moderation staff here are very helpful, but you seem to feel the need to comment about anything I say that doesn't fit your views and then blame me for your lack of support towards someone who is volunteering to help TL in the best way she can.

Would you rather they didn't help me and then we had no photo coverage? Not everything about Kespa is bad - they just make some terrible decisions regarding the actual leagues.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
September 15 2009 02:11 GMT
#278
On September 15 2009 11:08 NeverGG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 11:04 Chill wrote:
On September 15 2009 10:36 NeverGG wrote:
On September 15 2009 10:05 JWD wrote:
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.


How is it in their self-interest? I don't work for them or any of their sites. To me personally, it's been a massive help. Also it's not always volunteer work. I'm currently interning with Fomos and working for TL.net. Without Kespa's help I would not have been able to cover any of the finals for the last two years.

KeSPA gave you a pass to cover their event. How is that anything to be thankful for?

It's like a company allowing a news reporter to interview them.


I *knew* you'd have to chime in about this. I'm thankful for it and I'd like to hope that some people here on TL.net are too.

If you're not thankful for the time, money and effort I've put into getting those press passes and reporting on my free time for TL then maybe it's easier for me not to bother in the future. Some of the moderation staff here are very helpful, but you seem to feel the need to comment about anything I say that doesn't fit your views.

Would you rather they didn't help me and then we had no photo coverage? Not everything about Kespa is bad - they just make some terrible decisions regarding the actual leagues.

I like your pictures. I comment positively often on them. I commented once negatively and you've never let it go.

That being said, I don't see how you feel like you owe anything to kespa. You're doing all the legwork. You should feel like kespa owes you something, not the other way around.
Moderator
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 02:13:50
September 15 2009 02:12 GMT
#279
Look, don't take his words to mean something he didn't mean for them to. I think you know he (and everyone else) are very glad to have someone like you on our site; there's really not a lot of people able to fill your role, as I'm sure you know.

It is in KeSPA's best interest to help you cover their events as best they can tho.

It's totally understandable why you would personally feel grateful for it, and I think everyone appreciates the results of it all, but it is not an altruistic act (by KeSPA).
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Integra
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Sweden5626 Posts
September 15 2009 02:16 GMT
#280
You guys still understand that the odds are rather high that SDM's twitter account simply has been stolen and someone is posting crap just so piss people off...?
"Dark Pleasure" | | I survived the Locust war of May 3, 2014
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM906
TaKeTV 317
TKL 308
IndyStarCraft 181
BRAT_OK 97
ZombieGrub73
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1030
TKL 330
IndyStarCraft 201
MaxPax 193
BRAT_OK 103
ZombieGrub74
JuggernautJason43
Nathanias 30
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 674
ggaemo 156
White-Ra 134
firebathero 78
Barracks 62
910 51
Shine 28
Killer 27
Trap 25
yabsab 7
Counter-Strike
Fnx 804
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0166
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8876
crisheroes1702
Liquid`Hasu1553
Trikslyr66
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4652
summit1g3853
singsing1613
Beastyqt835
shahzam440
B2W.Neo349
ArmadaUGS137
KnowMe132
UpATreeSC84
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream424
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 187
• Reevou 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 23
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• FirePhoenix13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade879
Other Games
• Shiphtur338
• imaqtpie136
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 26m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.