• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:57
CEST 14:57
KST 21:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7060 users

No GOM Classic Season 4? - Page 16

Forum Index > News
401 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 21 Next All
shalafi
Profile Joined July 2008
394 Posts
September 15 2009 09:54 GMT
#301
They got what they deserved for allying Blizzard.
FastEddieV
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States614 Posts
September 15 2009 10:14 GMT
#302
GOM was the one tournament I turned into consistently. It will be missed.
platinum? more like leaf
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 10:15:32
September 15 2009 10:14 GMT
#303
On September 14 2009 17:47 p4NDemik wrote:
Honestly I won't miss the tournament as a whole very much - there's just so many games being played when PL/MSL/OSL all get running at full speed, and GOM was never something I would make time to watch.


Same here. I never watched GOM besides first seasons

And actually I got tired very fast of the commentating
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
September 15 2009 10:19 GMT
#304
On September 15 2009 10:05 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 09:29 NeverGG wrote:
That's a shame - GOM was a step in the right direction for giving foreign fans more access to the Korean proscene. I hope it manages to continue some form of league in the future. I can't get onto the 'fuck Kespa' band wagon myself because even though I don't agree with some of their recent policies (Especially FA and ceremonies.) they've given me press passes continually and been very supportive of my work here.

It's not exactly heroic of KeSPA to support volunteer work that is obviously in its self-interest.


Yeah and Kespa is just this big super-evil corporation that devours everything in it's path. Kespa has done alot of good for korean e-sports as well, something you might want to remember.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
thunk
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States6233 Posts
September 15 2009 10:31 GMT
#305
I'm with Pandemik on this one. It's a bummer to see Tasteless and SDM unable to cast but I could never get myself to watch the games, especially once they started to make it harder and harder for the average person to watch games, with loads chatter at the beginning and end of each video. There were some great games played, there just wasn't the same amount of hype and history in the GOMTV games.
Every time Jung Myung Hoon builds a vulture, two probes die. || My post count was a palindrome and I was never posting again.
HiOT
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Sweden1000 Posts
September 15 2009 10:48 GMT
#306
I know how blizzard can fix this. Easy. Agree to our terms or we will ban SCII and the Selling of ALL blizzard products to South Korea. An ban every ip that installs SCII due to the online requirement to install it. But this will never happen because of the money issue So Kespa and Blizzard can't agree? How the fuck could SCII be a major hit i Korea? I really hope blizzard plugs b.net in a grand final. And show that No-one fucks with our favorite company of all time. But I don't think blizzard cares that they loose Gomtv money due to their money milking of WoW.
Officially the founder of Team Property (:
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44321 Posts
September 15 2009 12:20 GMT
#307
On September 15 2009 07:00 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 06:45 Hinanawi wrote:
On September 15 2009 06:33 Chill wrote:
On September 15 2009 06:28 Hinanawi wrote:
I've yet to hear any valid reason for KeSPA's actions from any of its defenders. People say "They're just acting in self-interest, what's so wrong with that?", but their PURPOSE is supposed to be to promote the growth of E-sports.

What are you basing that on? Their purpose is to protect their company's interests and nothing else.


Nobody's saying they CAN'T work against the growth of e-sports, but people have a right to call them on it when they do, especially when they claim to be an organization that exists to prop up E-sports. I haven't seen anyone here say 'Let's sue KeSPA!', just a bunch of people saying 'KeSPA is fucking terrible', which is a fair opinion.

Besides, KeSPA is going to get reamed by Blizzard in the end anyway, like I said. They can enjoy their asshattery for one more year.

This is circular logic, based on the assumption that they were formed to promote e-sports. It is my position that they weren't, so they have no responsibility to promote e-sports, and they have no resposibility to act positively with competition.

Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 06:37 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Chill, I'm pretty sure that fighting Blizzard is not in their "best interests". I mean, with how much money they COULD make from SC2 getting big, I can't imagine this shit would be worth it even if they do "win" and get to keep the SC1 scene the way it is.

Even if they have to pay royalties, surely that's better than fucking up the stability of the Korean esports scene to the point where it might not even be viable anymore...

We can speculate all we want. Being nice and letting Blizzard into the Korean market now isn't going to affect Blizzard's actions with SC2. Business isn't nice. If they're going to get muscled out of SC2, they need ground to stand on, which they've maintained.

Situation 1: KeSPA works with Blizzard now. Blizzard takes some of their market. SC2 comes out and Blizzard takes the remaining majority of their market.

Situation 2: KeSPA denies Blizzard. SC2 comes out and progamers have to make a choice of being on an SC1 team or a completely separate SC2 team.

Situation 2 is way better for KeSPA, which is what they've done. Why would you expect them to lie down when Blizzard has done nothing to get these leagues going, and is only now showing up trying to capitalize.

Because ultimately KeSPA don't have the power in this argument. They're using their nuclear option by taking away the players but Blizzard can up the licensing fee beyond their range if they want. As someone already put it, KeSPA said "we don't like it so we're gonna take our ball and go home when Blizzard can just go fine, we'll take your court home with us". Being able to establish a virtual monopoly on the players is impressive but having a real monopoly on the game itself is better. We'll see how long the players boycott GOM if Blizzard refuses to renew the license for OGN and MBC to broadcast Starcraft.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
September 15 2009 12:40 GMT
#308
On September 15 2009 21:20 Kwark wrote:
Because ultimately KeSPA don't have the power in this argument. They're using their nuclear option by taking away the players but Blizzard can up the licensing fee beyond their range if they want.

It's funny how people think OGN / MBC / Kespa actually pay Blizzard for broadcasting rights. I don't have any definite confirmation on whether they do or not, but I don't think they pay a dime. They just do it.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13525 Posts
September 15 2009 12:40 GMT
#309
Kespa is playing with fire. If they piss Blizzard off too much they just take away gaming rights and then they lose the SC jewel in their crown (as Kwark says).

Kespa has way more to lose than Blizzard here and needs to exercise a bit more thought imo.
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13525 Posts
September 15 2009 12:42 GMT
#310
I'd say they would zatic. No way Blizzard is going to let them reap so much from their intellectual property.

It's pretty much the same reason they shut down Game-i back in the day.
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
September 15 2009 12:49 GMT
#311
I believe it when I see it. You guys should never underestimate the _huge_ costs and risks involved in actually dragging Kespa (a state backed organization) to the courts. It's not like Blizzard can just force them to stop because they don't like it.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
September 15 2009 13:01 GMT
#312
I don't think there's much of a fee, if there is a fee at all, because SC isn't that profitable. Blizzard can't take an amount from them that'd be worth the risk of SC in Korea collapsing since the SC phenomenon in Korea is worth quite a lot to Blizzard.

If KeSPA has competition in SC2, and that competition might include Blizzard themselves as they prepare to host their own leagues, then KeSPA could definitely be muscled out. But right now, there isn't really any muscling out going on because they're not in competition right now. The terms of their ongoing relationship could be adjusted but it's too fragile.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
wiesel
Profile Joined September 2008
Germany727 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 13:07:11
September 15 2009 13:05 GMT
#313
On September 15 2009 21:49 zatic wrote:
I believe it when I see it. You guys should never underestimate the _huge_ costs and risks involved in actually dragging Kespa (a state backed organization) to the courts. It's not like Blizzard can just force them to stop because they don't like it.


I don't think a korean court would ever allow Blizzard to force a stop on Tv rights. And afaik Blizzard can't lead a process from the united states.
Khenra
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands885 Posts
September 15 2009 13:52 GMT
#314
I can't believe it! GOM was my favourite tournament of them all.. It's the reason I started playing starcraft and started reading this forum!

The professional English casting made it a special league. Now there won't be any league I can follow, except for some random games commentated by the amateur casters (which do a GREAT job, by the way). The games are fun to watch, but what I'm missing is the spirit of the competition as a whole. Who will advance, who will face Flash, etc.

All in all, this would be a great miss!
This signature is ruining eSports.
DefMatrixUltra
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1992 Posts
September 15 2009 14:13 GMT
#315
@Everyone saying "I don't like GOM" or "I only watched X player" or "x season" because "blah":

The GOM Starcraft tournaments are... stay with me here... Starcraft tournaments. Even if 'no team takes them seriously', we still get some very good games out of them.

For those of you that dislike the commentary:

1. Turn the sound down.

2. New players (and I don't mean players that finally got C+ either...) start out by watching these tournaments. That's how a lot of people get into progaming these days. You have to start somewhere, and English commentary is a really good place to start. The Starcraft community can only benefit from GOM's efforts.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 14:52:02
September 15 2009 14:26 GMT
#316
One more tweet from Daniel Lee: "I just want to point out that I said 'as of now' meaning it's pending, nothing was stated on the record."

In the context he used it, "as of now" could not have been interpreted to mean "pending", so I can't see this as anything but a weak attempt to back down from his previous statements.

Edit: I see this tweet is already in the OP!
✌
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44321 Posts
September 15 2009 14:32 GMT
#317
On September 15 2009 21:40 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2009 21:20 Kwark wrote:
Because ultimately KeSPA don't have the power in this argument. They're using their nuclear option by taking away the players but Blizzard can up the licensing fee beyond their range if they want.

It's funny how people think OGN / MBC / Kespa actually pay Blizzard for broadcasting rights. I don't have any definite confirmation on whether they do or not, but I don't think they pay a dime. They just do it.

Starcraft belongs to Blizzard, I don't know if they do get licensing fees but they have the right to charge them. KeSPA can't legally profit from the sale of someone elses intellectual property without their consent.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-15 14:33:17
September 15 2009 14:32 GMT
#318
Yeah that didn't make sense to me either.
EDIT: @JWD's 'as of now' analysis
Their are four errors in this sentance.
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
September 15 2009 14:38 GMT
#319
On September 15 2009 23:26 JWD wrote:
One more tweet from Daniel Lee: "I just want to point out that I said 'as of now' meaning it's pending, nothing was stated on the record."

In the context he used it, "as of now" could not have been interpreted to mean "pending", so I can't see this as anything but a weak attempt to back down from his previous statements.

Edit: I see this is already in the OP!


ya thats what i figured as well
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
September 15 2009 14:57 GMT
#320
On September 15 2009 22:01 Liquid`NonY wrote:
If KeSPA has competition in SC2, and that competition might include Blizzard themselves as they prepare to host their own leagues, then KeSPA could definitely be muscled out. But right now, there isn't really any muscling out going on because they're not in competition right now. The terms of their ongoing relationship could be adjusted but it's too fragile.


I was under the impression that it was confirmed KeSPA would have competition for SC2. I'm reasonably sure Daniel said explicitly in a cast over the spring/summer (trying to remember where, Valor maybe?) that Blizzard was planning on organizing everything worldwide themselves and leaving Korean governing bodies in the dust. We also know Blizzard has a 10 man "esports team" or whatever which might support that (or maybe its really just 12 Karunes to post on rumor forums LOL).
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1065
WardiTV763
OGKoka 278
Rex145
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 401
OGKoka 278
Rex 145
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2278
Horang2 1372
Shuttle 1325
EffOrt 644
Jaedong 579
BeSt 495
Soma 414
Mini 327
Light 219
Stork 216
[ Show more ]
ZerO 190
ggaemo 150
Rush 117
Zeus 99
Killer 78
Barracks 73
Hyun 64
Shine 63
Sea.KH 45
Shinee 31
Bale 27
ToSsGirL 26
Mong 23
Aegong 23
sorry 21
soO 19
Sexy 17
Sacsri 16
PianO 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
zelot 9
HiyA 8
yabsab 7
Icarus 7
Noble 7
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
qojqva1773
Dendi1566
BananaSlamJamma282
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin683
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes350
Other Games
singsing2238
olofmeister1253
hiko667
B2W.Neo658
Lowko341
Sick225
Pyrionflax197
ArmadaUGS89
Mew2King41
Liquid`VortiX6
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream537
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH288
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2139
Other Games
• WagamamaTV239
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 4m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 4m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 4m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.