• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:55
CEST 00:55
KST 07:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9100 users

GSL Open Mini Mafia II - Page 4

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 33 Next All
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
September 26 2012 13:27 GMT
#61
I don't see how discussing time zones or activity times is gonna bring us anywhere. just check the timezone of everyone and note it down, I'm even gonna help with you that (because I already made it for myself):

1) ShiaoPi (Taiwan)
2) Bluelightz (Indonesia)
3) iamperfection (US)
4) austinmcc (US)
5) strongandbig (US)
6) Ottoxlol (Unknown)
7) thrawn2112 (US)
8) Sinensis (US)
9) Phagga (Switzerland)

Further discussing this topic only gives scum the possibility to appear active without contributing.

On September 26 2012 22:11 austinmcc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Actually, I think this could be a nice point to get some discussion. Boxer claims. Need to go read GSL 1 to see how they played out that game if the setup rolled Boxer(s).

Sinensis can you pin down "later" to something more specific and give your thought process on why you'd want later claims?


I agree with Sinensis that Boxers should not claim early. Boxers claiming only gives good targets to scum (as Sinensis explained), gives scum more knowledge about the setup and gives town the amount of blues with powers, which is all bad. Town should not rely on blues to scum hunt anyway, so not knowing if there are any blues to help is preferable.
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
austinmcc
Profile Joined October 2010
United States6737 Posts
September 26 2012 13:43 GMT
#62
phagga,

On September 26 2012 21:58 austinmcc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 18:24 phagga wrote:
On September 26 2012 11:01 austinmcc wrote:
Random lynch still dumb, as always. I don't even like it as a discussion starter.

Small mini, and we're going to have to work to keep things active and make sure everyone is involved. I don't think we need some kind of warning requirement before hammering, because everyone needs to be active and you shouldn't be waiting until you might or might not get hammered to speak up and make a defense or actually post. Everyone should be on notice from D1 that we're instant majority, just like you signed up for, and you need to actually participate.


The bolded part is a good setup for scum to hammer a townie without warning.

Are you scum, austin?

Nope.

Moreover it's equally useful for a townie to hammer a scum without warning? A townie to hammer a townie? I don't know everyone's scum play here, but I'd imagine we have a few who blend in and try not to stick out. Hammering someone makes you stick out. Hammering someone with no warning whatsoever makes you stick out. If scum want to stick out and be visible, I don't have a problem with that.

Are you actually worried about scum hammering townies without warning? Do you think it likely that townies would hammer someone without warning?
Fe fi fo fum.
ShiaoPi
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
TAIWAN NUMBAH WAN5956 Posts
September 26 2012 13:52 GMT
#63
Well that was a quick read.

Some thoughts in no particular order first:
-random lynch is stupid. no need to discuss it imo
-it should be clear that if there is only one vote left to hammering someone, you should first off really think through the situation and then give appropiate reasons for the hammer. So please refrain from just sheeping in this instant majority lynch setup.
-I do not like the idea of boxer claiming day 1, and in no way does it confirm him as he could be counterclaimed by scum/boxer/crazy townie or there could be no boxer in the setup anyway. If there is a boxer claim it should be saved until it is of some real use (e.g. lylo stuff)

Now some directed stuff:
@SnB: Why did you suggest random lynch? I do not want to hear why Palmar does it in whatever other game he played. I am interested in your arguments.

@austin: There was no Boxer in GSL1, if I recall correctly it was the doc, parity cop setup.

@phagga: I don't like your opening post.

On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


you complain about lack of activity in this game, while having been inactive as well. You also jump on another person who has done nothing until then. The post is pretty much devoid of any meaning, besides opposition to random lynches. Nothing that screams scum right now, but still worthy to take a note of.
LiquidDota Staff@TW_ShiaoPi
TL+ Member
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
September 26 2012 13:53 GMT
#64
On September 26 2012 22:43 austinmcc wrote:
phagga,

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 21:58 austinmcc wrote:
On September 26 2012 18:24 phagga wrote:
On September 26 2012 11:01 austinmcc wrote:
Random lynch still dumb, as always. I don't even like it as a discussion starter.

Small mini, and we're going to have to work to keep things active and make sure everyone is involved. I don't think we need some kind of warning requirement before hammering, because everyone needs to be active and you shouldn't be waiting until you might or might not get hammered to speak up and make a defense or actually post. Everyone should be on notice from D1 that we're instant majority, just like you signed up for, and you need to actually participate.


The bolded part is a good setup for scum to hammer a townie without warning.

Are you scum, austin?

Nope.

Moreover it's equally useful for a townie to hammer a scum without warning? A townie to hammer a townie? I don't know everyone's scum play here, but I'd imagine we have a few who blend in and try not to stick out. Hammering someone makes you stick out. Hammering someone with no warning whatsoever makes you stick out. If scum want to stick out and be visible, I don't have a problem with that.

Are you actually worried about scum hammering townies without warning? Do you think it likely that townies would hammer someone without warning?


Yes and Yes.

I would not be surprised if a townie cluelessly hammers another townie without warning. Worse stuff has happened in the History of TL Mafia. And if a townie can do it, scum can too, they will just look for a good excuse.
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
September 26 2012 14:01 GMT
#65
On September 26 2012 22:52 ShiaoPi wrote:
@phagga: I don't like your opening post.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


you complain about lack of activity in this game, while having been inactive as well. You also jump on another person who has done nothing until then. The post is pretty much devoid of any meaning, besides opposition to random lynches. Nothing that screams scum right now, but still worthy to take a note of.


I wrote pregame I would be inactive the first 9 hours due to sleep, which is pretty much how long I was inactive.

I frequently point out people who are not active, you can find this in any of my older games. It's a habit I have developed to make people aware that someone has been inactive for a longer time. I also like it as a reminder when scumhunting to see if the person has had several periods of long inactivity and what that could mean in the context of the game/thread.
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 26 2012 14:04 GMT
#66
Why is everyone talking about useless shit such as timezones?

If someone hammers another player without warning then what is a legitimate response? What reasonable punishment could you put in place to stop people from doing it? I say it's not too big of a deal. If someone hammers a player then we can speculate as to the legitimacy of their motivations afterwards. However if you're smart then don't fucking do it (hammer a player) unless you've got some badass fucking read that you have absolutely 0 doubts at all about. So in other words, don't fucking do it.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
ShiaoPi
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
TAIWAN NUMBAH WAN5956 Posts
September 26 2012 14:08 GMT
#67
everyone? Looked like austin and phagga to me. no one else.

Also it is useful to keep timezones in mind, no need to rage at someone not answering your question if he is asleep.
LiquidDota Staff@TW_ShiaoPi
TL+ Member
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 26 2012 14:10 GMT
#68
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Ottoxlol
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
735 Posts
September 26 2012 14:10 GMT
#69
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 26 2012 22:27 phagga wrote:
I don't see how discussing time zones or activity times is gonna bring us anywhere. just check the timezone of everyone and note it down, I'm even gonna help with you that (because I already made it for myself):

1) ShiaoPi (Taiwan)
2) Bluelightz (Indonesia)
3) iamperfection (US)
4) austinmcc (US)
5) strongandbig (US)
6) Ottoxlol (Unknown)
7) thrawn2112 (US)
8) Sinensis (US)
9) Phagga (Switzerland)

Further discussing this topic only gives scum the possibility to appear active without contributing.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 22:11 austinmcc wrote:
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Actually, I think this could be a nice point to get some discussion. Boxer claims. Need to go read GSL 1 to see how they played out that game if the setup rolled Boxer(s).

Sinensis can you pin down "later" to something more specific and give your thought process on why you'd want later claims?


I agree with Sinensis that Boxers should not claim early. Boxers claiming only gives good targets to scum (as Sinensis explained), gives scum more knowledge about the setup and gives town the amount of blues with powers, which is all bad. Town should not rely on blues to scum hunt anyway, so not knowing if there are any blues to help is preferable.


I'm EU, but on somewhat closer to us sleeping schedule fyi. I think we should give reasonable time for discussion to flow before lynching, we have 72 hours, fast lynching mostly favors scum in the beginning imo.

s&b,
On September 26 2012 10:33 strongandbig wrote:
I thought there might be enough new players in the game that the scum team wouldn't have seen palmar do it in the past and would thus take it seriously. It only needed one or two townies to go along with it to get them freaked out, but I guess the townies in this game don't know why palmar does it, either.


Why would scum freak out with random lynch? Sorry if I interpret random lynch in a different way, but that would give them a free pass to vote without any reasoning.

austin:
Why would a Boxer claim be any good for town atm?


austinmcc
Profile Joined October 2010
United States6737 Posts
September 26 2012 14:34 GMT
#70
On September 26 2012 23:10 Ottoxlol wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 26 2012 22:27 phagga wrote:
I don't see how discussing time zones or activity times is gonna bring us anywhere. just check the timezone of everyone and note it down, I'm even gonna help with you that (because I already made it for myself):

1) ShiaoPi (Taiwan)
2) Bluelightz (Indonesia)
3) iamperfection (US)
4) austinmcc (US)
5) strongandbig (US)
6) Ottoxlol (Unknown)
7) thrawn2112 (US)
8) Sinensis (US)
9) Phagga (Switzerland)

Further discussing this topic only gives scum the possibility to appear active without contributing.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 22:11 austinmcc wrote:
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Actually, I think this could be a nice point to get some discussion. Boxer claims. Need to go read GSL 1 to see how they played out that game if the setup rolled Boxer(s).

Sinensis can you pin down "later" to something more specific and give your thought process on why you'd want later claims?


I agree with Sinensis that Boxers should not claim early. Boxers claiming only gives good targets to scum (as Sinensis explained), gives scum more knowledge about the setup and gives town the amount of blues with powers, which is all bad. Town should not rely on blues to scum hunt anyway, so not knowing if there are any blues to help is preferable.


I'm EU, but on somewhat closer to us sleeping schedule fyi. I think we should give reasonable time for discussion to flow before lynching, we have 72 hours, fast lynching mostly favors scum in the beginning imo.

s&b,
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 10:33 strongandbig wrote:
I thought there might be enough new players in the game that the scum team wouldn't have seen palmar do it in the past and would thus take it seriously. It only needed one or two townies to go along with it to get them freaked out, but I guess the townies in this game don't know why palmar does it, either.


Why would scum freak out with random lynch? Sorry if I interpret random lynch in a different way, but that would give them a free pass to vote without any reasoning.

austin:
Why would a Boxer claim be any good for town atm?



I don't think it would atm. I didn't advocate a D1 claim. It's not an IC role since there's no mod-confirmation, but I hope that if we've got a boxer it's not something that gets claimed only in case of mislynch. Depending on how our lynches go, there's some value to just claiming it D2 or D3 and giving us a little insight into the setup, a possible confirmed townie, etc.

Before anyone says Boxer claims give scum insight into the setup, they already have way more than we do. They know whether or not they have an RB, so for scum, this setup is a random role between only TWO options (either the two RB options or the two non-RB options). Town has no knowledge like that at this point.

Fe fi fo fum.
Bluelightz
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Indonesia2463 Posts
September 26 2012 14:58 GMT
#71
@Thrawn,

Why are you complaining that people are discussing about useless stuff while you proposed an equally useless random lynch argument?
Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, Radiation Is Good Because Nuclear bombs go BOOM | I love TL Mafia! ♥ http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31 ♥| Mvp is most boss
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
September 26 2012 15:16 GMT
#72
On September 26 2012 06:07 thrawn2112 wrote:
sup. how about that LoL? I fear we may all be out of a job soon

On September 26 2012 06:38 thrawn2112 wrote:
i would be down for rando lynch

i will flip a coin.

heads it's me, and tails it's you?

On September 26 2012 11:34 thrawn2112 wrote:
most boring start to a mafia game i've been a part of yet. at least we're not spending forever talking about lurkers tho

who wants me to write walls of text barf text this game? don't test me, i'll do it.

On September 26 2012 23:10 thrawn2112 wrote:
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying



So much for talking about "useless shit". Also I was trying to shut the discussion about time zones down immediatly.

Meanwhile all you have done (besides the quotes above) is talking about hammering someone, and you are just echoing others. How about you start contributing some?
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
iamperfection
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States9648 Posts
September 26 2012 15:49 GMT
#73
On September 27 2012 00:16 phagga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 06:07 thrawn2112 wrote:
sup. how about that LoL? I fear we may all be out of a job soon

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 06:38 thrawn2112 wrote:
i would be down for rando lynch

i will flip a coin.

heads it's me, and tails it's you?

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 11:34 thrawn2112 wrote:
most boring start to a mafia game i've been a part of yet. at least we're not spending forever talking about lurkers tho

who wants me to write walls of text barf text this game? don't test me, i'll do it.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 23:10 thrawn2112 wrote:
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying



So much for talking about "useless shit". Also I was trying to shut the discussion about time zones down immediatly.

Meanwhile all you have done (besides the quotes above) is talking about hammering someone, and you are just echoing others. How about you start contributing some?

you were trying to shut down discussion by talking about it?

To me it looked more like one of those posts that people do in order to look like their contributing. So what do you say to that?

look now were actually talking about something!!! yay
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=406168&currentpage=78#1551
phagga
Profile Joined February 2012
Switzerland2194 Posts
September 26 2012 15:54 GMT
#74
On September 27 2012 00:49 iamperfection wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 27 2012 00:16 phagga wrote:
On September 26 2012 06:07 thrawn2112 wrote:
sup. how about that LoL? I fear we may all be out of a job soon

On September 26 2012 06:38 thrawn2112 wrote:
i would be down for rando lynch

i will flip a coin.

heads it's me, and tails it's you?

On September 26 2012 11:34 thrawn2112 wrote:
most boring start to a mafia game i've been a part of yet. at least we're not spending forever talking about lurkers tho

who wants me to write walls of text barf text this game? don't test me, i'll do it.

On September 26 2012 23:10 thrawn2112 wrote:
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying



So much for talking about "useless shit". Also I was trying to shut the discussion about time zones down immediatly.

Meanwhile all you have done (besides the quotes above) is talking about hammering someone, and you are just echoing others. How about you start contributing some?

you were trying to shut down discussion by talking about it?

To me it looked more like one of those posts that people do in order to look like their contributing. So what do you say to that?

look now were actually talking about something!!! yay


I specifically wrote:

On September 26 2012 22:27 phagga wrote:
I don't see how discussing time zones or activity times is gonna bring us anywhere. just check the timezone of everyone and note it down, I'm even gonna help with you that (because I already made it for myself):

1) ShiaoPi (Taiwan)
2) Bluelightz (Indonesia)
3) iamperfection (US)
4) austinmcc (US)
5) strongandbig (US)
6) Ottoxlol (Unknown)
7) thrawn2112 (US)
8) Sinensis (US)
9) Phagga (Switzerland)

Further discussing this topic only gives scum the possibility to appear active without contributing.


(Emphasis is mine). So yes, I was trying to shut that discussion down by giving him some raw information and making it clear that further discussing this topic will not be productive. And noone was talking about this topic afterwards, so I guess I made myself clear enough.
"A person who does not concern himself with politics has already made the political choice he was so anxious to spare himself: he is serving the ruling party." - Max Frisch
iamperfection
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States9648 Posts
September 26 2012 16:07 GMT
#75
On September 27 2012 00:54 phagga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 27 2012 00:49 iamperfection wrote:
On September 27 2012 00:16 phagga wrote:
On September 26 2012 06:07 thrawn2112 wrote:
sup. how about that LoL? I fear we may all be out of a job soon

On September 26 2012 06:38 thrawn2112 wrote:
i would be down for rando lynch

i will flip a coin.

heads it's me, and tails it's you?

On September 26 2012 11:34 thrawn2112 wrote:
most boring start to a mafia game i've been a part of yet. at least we're not spending forever talking about lurkers tho

who wants me to write walls of text barf text this game? don't test me, i'll do it.

On September 26 2012 23:10 thrawn2112 wrote:
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying



So much for talking about "useless shit". Also I was trying to shut the discussion about time zones down immediatly.

Meanwhile all you have done (besides the quotes above) is talking about hammering someone, and you are just echoing others. How about you start contributing some?

you were trying to shut down discussion by talking about it?

To me it looked more like one of those posts that people do in order to look like their contributing. So what do you say to that?

look now were actually talking about something!!! yay


I specifically wrote:

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 22:27 phagga wrote:
I don't see how discussing time zones or activity times is gonna bring us anywhere. just check the timezone of everyone and note it down, I'm even gonna help with you that (because I already made it for myself):

1) ShiaoPi (Taiwan)
2) Bluelightz (Indonesia)
3) iamperfection (US)
4) austinmcc (US)
5) strongandbig (US)
6) Ottoxlol (Unknown)
7) thrawn2112 (US)
8) Sinensis (US)
9) Phagga (Switzerland)

Further discussing this topic only gives scum the possibility to appear active without contributing.


(Emphasis is mine). So yes, I was trying to shut that discussion down by giving him some raw information and making it clear that further discussing this topic will not be productive. And noone was talking about this topic afterwards, so I guess I made myself clear enough.

it just struck me as weird.

also

If bh would be so kind to add the filter links to the player list it would be greatly appreciated
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=406168&currentpage=78#1551
strongandbig
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4858 Posts
September 26 2012 17:35 GMT
#76
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 10:33 strongandbig wrote:
I thought there might be enough new players in the game that the scum team wouldn't have seen palmar do it in the past and would thus take it seriously. It only needed one or two townies to go along with it to get them freaked out, but I guess the townies in this game don't know why palmar does it, either.


I asked why YOU wanted to random lynch not why Palmar sometimes random lynches. Palmar isn't even in this game. Why are you dodging? I'm not going to go searching for a random Palmar post about mafia and I'm not going to let you drop Palmar's name like that's an excuse to do something that is widely reguarded as a bad move.


.... Ugh

So the thing about random lynching is you never want to actually random lynch, it doesn't give you enough info for layer. But what you can do is, if you can get a little momentum going for a random lynch, it freaks scum the fuck out if they don't know what's going on. They know that unless they fuck up, there is little chance for them to get lynched normally on day 1. The information advantage and the ability for their teammates to push other bandwagons guarantee that. So when they think a random lynch might actually happen, they start to behave weirdly and you can pick that out.
"It's the torso" "only more so!"
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
September 26 2012 17:35 GMT
#77
Filters are now in the player list. Enjoy!
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 26 2012 18:35 GMT
#78
On September 27 2012 00:16 phagga wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 06:07 thrawn2112 wrote:
sup. how about that LoL? I fear we may all be out of a job soon

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 06:38 thrawn2112 wrote:
i would be down for rando lynch

i will flip a coin.

heads it's me, and tails it's you?

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 11:34 thrawn2112 wrote:
most boring start to a mafia game i've been a part of yet. at least we're not spending forever talking about lurkers tho

who wants me to write walls of text barf text this game? don't test me, i'll do it.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 23:10 thrawn2112 wrote:
yeah but I'd assume that goes without saying



So much for talking about "useless shit". Also I was trying to shut the discussion about time zones down immediatly.

Meanwhile all you have done (besides the quotes above) is talking about hammering someone, and you are just echoing others. How about you start contributing some?


Do you actually think those posts aren't contributions or are you just jumpy because I ragged on something you were posting about? I see you've made a nice spin-doctored and out of context version of my filter. Serious question btw
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
September 26 2012 18:51 GMT
#79
On September 27 2012 02:35 strongandbig wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 10:33 strongandbig wrote:
I thought there might be enough new players in the game that the scum team wouldn't have seen palmar do it in the past and would thus take it seriously. It only needed one or two townies to go along with it to get them freaked out, but I guess the townies in this game don't know why palmar does it, either.


I asked why YOU wanted to random lynch not why Palmar sometimes random lynches. Palmar isn't even in this game. Why are you dodging? I'm not going to go searching for a random Palmar post about mafia and I'm not going to let you drop Palmar's name like that's an excuse to do something that is widely reguarded as a bad move.


.... Ugh

So the thing about random lynching is you never want to actually random lynch, it doesn't give you enough info for layer. But what you can do is, if you can get a little momentum going for a random lynch, it freaks scum the fuck out if they don't know what's going on. They know that unless they fuck up, there is little chance for them to get lynched normally on day 1. The information advantage and the ability for their teammates to push other bandwagons guarantee that. So when they think a random lynch might actually happen, they start to behave weirdly and you can pick that out.


Makes sense. I'll try to remember that for future games.

On Septem[spoiler]ber 26 2012 22:11 austinmcc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2012 17:23 Sinensis wrote:
On September 26 2012 15:28 phagga wrote:
Wow, 9 hours into the game and we don't even have 2 pages.

I am against a random lynch because in an instant majority game it might shortcut the discussion and therefore won't be helpfull. Also, there is the trust issue.

Sinensis, why dont you want the Boxers to claim?

Also, where is Bluelightz? 4am has long past.


I've been thinking of Boxer as a mayor type role. Claiming Day 1 is bad cause then Boxer probably dies night 1 and ESPORTS along with it. It's better to save it for later in the game when we're in a pinch.

Actually, I think this could be a nice point to get some discussion. Boxer claims. Need to go read GSL 1 to see how they played out that game if the setup rolled Boxer(s).

Sinensis can you pin down "later" to something more specific and give your thought process on why you'd want later claims?


I can't pin down later to a specific moment but I think if/when Boxer claims it should accomplish something significant. Something more significant than just having a confirmed townie. Once everyone knows who Boxer is it's very unlikely we'll be able to save him; there is only one possible setup with both Boxer AND medic. An example of a good time for Boxer to claim would be if several people were voting him and it is close to majority lynch; he can claim to help prove his innocence.
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
September 26 2012 19:42 GMT
#80
Okay given the two pages I have to work with, so far my FoS is at austinmcc. I'll break down why:

On September 26 2012 11:01 austinmcc wrote:

Random lynch still dumb, as always. I don't even like it as a discussion starter.

Moreover it's equally useful for a townie to hammer a scum without warning? A townie to hammer a townie? I don't know everyone's scum play here, but I'd imagine we have a few who blend in and try not to stick out. Hammering someone makes you stick out. Hammering someone with no warning whatsoever makes you stick out. If scum want to stick out and be visible, I don't have a problem with that.

We've got 9 players. We've got a couple different timezones represented. We can't be waiting for someone to have hammer-1 votes and then ask them to pick things up at that point. The time zone thing is really going to affect our ability to build votes on players and find a time where the majority of thread could even be around to hear someone try and defend themselves.




"Random lynch still dumb." While I disagree with a random lynch, it is how it's presented that I have a problem with. He just says it's "dumb." Not why it's dumb or better why -he- thinks it's dumb. Just dumb. This is not indicative of alignment and I think it's dodgy.

He goes on to say that hammering someone makes you stick out, and since it makes you stick out scum wouldn't do it. This is "too scummy to be scum" reasoning and is wrong. Under no circumstances should someone town aligned be advocating hammering, and he says he has -no problem with it-. All it does is cut discussion short every time. This is the biggest red flag to me.


I don't think it would atm. I didn't advocate a D1 claim. It's not an IC role since there's no mod-confirmation, but I hope that if we've got a boxer it's not something that gets claimed only in case of mislynch. ++++Depending on how our lynches go, there's some value to just claiming it D2 or D3 and giving us a little insight into the setup, a possible confirmed townie, etc.++++

Before anyone says Boxer claims give scum insight into the setup, they already have way more than we do. They know whether or not they have an RB, so for scum, this setup is a random role between only TWO options (either the two RB options or the two non-RB options). Town has no knowledge like that at this point.


This is the other post I got a red flag from and that's because I personally don't believe it's worth it for Boxer to claim D2 or D3 for no reason. Hypothetical situations if Boxer claims:
The best that could happen is that we luckily have a medic, Boxer is safe, and there is no role blocker leaving us with a confirmed townie; there is a 33% chance of this outcome. The other possibility is that there isn't a medic and Boxer(s) are vulnerable; there is a 66% chance of this outcome.

All things considered I think if Boxer is among us he needs to stay anonymous until he can save himself/someone else by claiming.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O155
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1074
ZZZero.O 155
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm122
League of Legends
Doublelift5296
JimRising 693
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5573
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN2999
KnowMe206
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1017
• Shiphtur184
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6m
CranKy Ducklings1
Afreeca Starleague
11h 6m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 6m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 6m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.