• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:23
CEST 14:23
KST 21:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10067 users

TL Mafia: Boot Camp - Page 2

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
November 12 2010 06:38 GMT
#21
One of the key elements of mafiascum's great system is that they have 2 reasonably experienced players per game (9 total) who are there to help teach, lead the way, and prevent basic newbie mistakes (less emphasis on winning at all costs). This isn't really a big deal if it's just a normal game, as it'd just be...a regular non-theme game, but when we do a new blood game I think it's important to have some people clearly known as experienced guides, 2-5ish?

Also a possibility: having in game coaches one on one. Basically you talk to someone experienced (who's not playing) during the game for advice on how to think, what to look for, etc. Thoughts on this? It'd clearly be limited to a small amount of people per game. I've done it before with a couple people and it helped them immensely.

And Coag, the problem with the mass of hosts is that everyone wants to host their own cute idea (read: theme) and so we end up with over a dozen theme games, many of which kooky or imbalanced, and no normal ones. I'm sure there are plenty of people that prefer normal games but if there's 2-4 games being hosted that are all theme, what choice do they have?
Liquipedia
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
November 12 2010 06:41 GMT
#22
On November 12 2010 15:38 Ver wrote:
Also a possibility: having in game coaches one on one. Basically you talk to someone experienced (who's not playing) during the game for advice on how to think, what to look for, etc. Thoughts on this? It'd clearly be limited to a small amount of people per game. I've done it before with a couple people and it helped them immensely.

I can agree with this, but it does increase the coach's work immensely. As long as one of the coach's can be like "yo I have enough people"

Low supply high demand!
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
November 12 2010 06:48 GMT
#23
Well they don't have to do that much and they can just make it clear how much they are willing to do beforehand so nobody is disappointed. Even just reminding someone every so often to 'stop, think, don't respond to every little point, focus on the important things' would help a large number of people immensely.

Also just to clarify, one coach has only one player per game to work with. I don't think it'd be good if they had insider knowledge or had to consider things from multiple perspectives.

In terms of practical results I've seen it helps immensely if someone is there with you to talk about things going down, rather than simply going over things afterwards (also important but different).
Liquipedia
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
November 12 2010 06:51 GMT
#24
Er wait you're talking about coaching players in the game?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
November 12 2010 06:53 GMT
#25
Yes
Liquipedia
EsbenPM
Profile Joined April 2006
Denmark364 Posts
November 12 2010 08:04 GMT
#26
I'd definately be up for this as a way to get started on mafia (I played Pyrrs game like 2 years ago but died early and got busy afterwards).
Hi
RebirthOfLeGenD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
USA5860 Posts
November 12 2010 08:10 GMT
#27
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.
Be a man, Become a Legend. TL Mafia Forum Ask for access!!
DarthThienAn
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2734 Posts
November 12 2010 08:24 GMT
#28
Dude if you give me 50 minerals and 100 gas, I can be an overseer too?
www.cstarleague.com | Love is like playing the piano. First you must learn to play by the rules, then you must forget the rules and play from your heart.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
November 12 2010 08:24 GMT
#29
On November 12 2010 17:10 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.

We've actually been doing team Mafia sets. I like those.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
November 12 2010 08:37 GMT
#30
On November 12 2010 17:10 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.


too bad you suck lol
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
November 12 2010 08:40 GMT
#31
On November 12 2010 17:37 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2010 17:10 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.


too bad you suck lol

Can I write your name down Ace?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
November 12 2010 08:47 GMT
#32
you just did
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
RebirthOfLeGenD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
USA5860 Posts
November 12 2010 09:33 GMT
#33
On November 12 2010 17:24 flamewheel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2010 17:10 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.

We've actually been doing team Mafia sets. I like those.

I know, I meant we continue doing them but applying your bootcamp mentality to them. The idea is learning from veteran players, like the last team melee mafia I played in it was me and BC, we just picked our friends and played it out basically. I was suggesting we do the same concept get a list of noobs and pair them with a bunch of prepicked veterans.
Be a man, Become a Legend. TL Mafia Forum Ask for access!!
RebirthOfLeGenD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
USA5860 Posts
November 12 2010 09:33 GMT
#34
On November 12 2010 17:37 Ace wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2010 17:10 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
To further this idea what we could do is have this as a standard F11 set up where we do another team mafia style where we team up newer guys with some of the forum veteran's so they get the idea of how to act and someone to consult. I know when I first started I learned a lot playing AS mafia because I had other (Sometimes) more experienced players who I could bounce ideas back off of, one of probably the biggest improvements I got was from actually becoming friends with other mafia players like BC and being able to throw around ideas. I think a team melee mafia idea fundamentally supports that very well while encouraging growth and feedback.

I do enjoy cooky games like insane mafia as I have said before, but it really gets fun when you have a bunch of guys who have been around the block a few times. I think some of the mod kills or lack of activity was due in part to people being confused or overwhelmed by the set up overall which having a good mafia background helps you to grasp fundamental concepts that will guide you throw even a wacky set up.


too bad you suck lol

haterrrrrrrrr and to think, I thought we bonded.
Be a man, Become a Legend. TL Mafia Forum Ask for access!!
Node
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States2159 Posts
November 12 2010 10:01 GMT
#35
After Haunted and Insane Mafia, as well as the current ongoing Assassin in the Palace, I'd love a standard game + coaching to get more in the groove. I've had fun in the games I've been in, but with the ridiculously large number of players and posts along with wacky rules it's all a bit overwhelming.

In other words, sign me up!
whole lies with a half smile
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
November 12 2010 13:10 GMT
#36
I'm definitely in for this when it starts.

The only games I've played were Haunted, Insane, and an IRC on #wolf. I would definitely like a little bit of teaching in a standard game if I can get it.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
Nemesis
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2568 Posts
November 12 2010 13:12 GMT
#37
I'd be interested in this, but hopefully this starts after a lot of the games going on right now finish.
Lee Young Ho fighting! KT P are just CHINTOSSTIC.
Veldril
Profile Joined August 2010
Thailand1817 Posts
November 12 2010 18:14 GMT
#38
I would also love training too. I feel I suck so hard in Mafia, lol. Standard game with a lot of training should be really good.
Without love, we can't see anything. Without love, the truth can't be seen. - Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
November 12 2010 18:30 GMT
#39
On November 12 2010 19:01 Node wrote:
After Haunted and Insane Mafia, as well as the current ongoing Assassin in the Palace, I'd love a standard game + coaching to get more in the groove. I've had fun in the games I've been in, but with the ridiculously large number of players and posts along with wacky rules it's all a bit overwhelming.

In other words, sign me up!

IMO you are one of the best newbies
RIP Aaliyah
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
November 12 2010 22:00 GMT
#40
Reception is good enough. We should be able to do one pretty soon.

All we need to get this going then are hosts and formats. Anyone willing to host/co host? For formats we'll figure something out shortly but we can do it one of two ways:

1) One standard formula with previous acceptable deviations used. Host can deviate a bit as well, just needs to contact someone from balance crew to make sure it works okay.

2) A number of standard formulas per player count that host randomly picks. (what mafiascum does)
Liquipedia
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 919
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings236
CranKy Ducklings SOOP17
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech50
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42889
Shuttle 12388
FanTaSy 1747
Hyuk 1175
BeSt 564
Horang2 534
Pusan 347
Mini 323
Stork 255
EffOrt 197
[ Show more ]
Last 157
Zeus 151
Killer 136
Mind 92
sorry 63
Hyun 62
Snow 53
ggaemo 49
PianO 48
Soma 48
Sea.KH 45
ToSsGirL 36
hero 30
Hm[arnc] 29
Bale 29
Aegong 19
JYJ 18
zelot 15
Sacsri 10
NaDa 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi915
XcaliburYe363
Counter-Strike
fl0m2021
byalli939
x6flipin442
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu218
Other Games
gofns41343
singsing3081
B2W.Neo1044
Hui .147
Livibee136
ArmadaUGS83
Mew2King62
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• swagsyndrome_0
League of Legends
• Nemesis498
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 37m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 37m
Replay Cast
10h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 37m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 37m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.