• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:14
CEST 17:14
KST 00:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8579 users

[Champion] Master Yi - Page 15

Forum Index > LoL Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 20 Next All
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
August 03 2013 20:20 GMT
#281
I don't understand why you are buying shiv over PD if you have hydra?
Carrilord has arrived.
JeosAdn
Profile Joined September 2011
Costa Rica432 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 20:42:35
August 03 2013 20:35 GMT
#282
+ Show Spoiler +
For hilarious q->shyvdra burst ofc.


I like the item, cheaper and gives me magic damage. Maybe PD would be better tho
BlasiuS
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States2405 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-06 22:49:38
August 06 2013 20:03 GMT
#283
I've picked up Jungle Yi and wondering if anyone's had any revelations on builds for him in the past few days. My thoughts:

Jungling: Spirit Stone vs Madred's

I pick Spirit Stone. Madred's is most useful for champs that have an on-demand AS steroid (or champs that do most of their damage through autos). Yi doesn't (well, his ultimate, but that doesn't help with jungling). Also AFAIK his Q doesn't proc on hit effects. Double Strike does, but IMO that's not enough for me to choose Madred's. I max Q in the jungle first, and thus most of my clear damage comes from Q. Q benefits tremendously from Butcher, so that tips the scales in favor of SS for me. Plus it builds into SotEL, where madred's only builds into wriggle's which doesn't seem worth it to me.

I've also seen some high elo players forego a machete start and instead either get doran's blade, or long sword + 2 pot. Haven't tried that myself yet. Example: just this morning I watched TheOddOne jungle Yi and he went long sword + 2pot -> vamp scepter -> boots of speed -> BotRK and did fine.

Lifesteal + damage: BT vs. Hydra vs. BotRK
I feel like you should only get 1 of these, due to the need to get either crit if you want to continue building damage, or tanky items if you want to go bruiser. I go for BotRK since the upfront burst and chasing is just so strong on this item. Also the AS synergizes with Wuju Style active.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I feel like the BotRK is just better to 100-0 your first kill in a teamfight and start up your insane reset chain. I feel like a fully-stacked BT is probably comparable in damage though. But an early/mid-game cutlass is far superior than a BF Sword for ganks, so BotRK it is.

Hydra is unnecessary IMO, once you get some AD you clear an entire wave with one Q + some autos. Plus, as I'll mention down below, I usually get shiv as my crit item, which helps even more with waveclear.

Crit items: shiv vs. PD

Shiv is the superior choice here, since Yi's movement during Q builds up the shiv, and with his ult he becomes extremely mobile, so Yi charges up the shiv significantly faster than on most champions.

Other damage items:

I usually build jungle yi as ad carry, so my other crit items are youmuu's and IE. Youmuu's is extremely stat efficient on Yi, helps kill squishies faster for your first reset, the active is boss for chasing, and brutalizer is an excellent mid-game buildup item.

IE is really only for late-game or when I get fed, but if you already have crit (shiv + youmuu's) and need more damage then it's by far the best damage item.

edit: Haven't tried it but Executioner's Calling seems like it would be actually be worth it on yi against Mundo/Volibear/Aatrox/Swain(?)/any other sustain champs

Tank/Bruiser Items:

Haven't built yi as bruiser yet, but I'm guessing fratma's is probably the best combination of damage + tank stats. You get AD, crit, armor, health, and more cc to help chase. Even champs with escapes won't be able to outrun Icy + Highlander (+ youmuu + ghost).

edit: I also think QSS -> mercurial would be a good choice if you keep getting stunned/knocked up/knocked back/rooted in late-game.
next week on Everybody Loves HypnoToad:
Klonopin
Profile Joined July 2013
95 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-06 21:17:37
August 06 2013 21:15 GMT
#284
ive been jungling yi also with some success. ive been favoring wriggles as my life steal item, then shiv, then ie. ive gotten quadra kills just with wriggles and shiv. why wriggles? after a few levels one q will kill the small creeps, and then you can kill the main one very fast with wriggles.

you build does sound interesting though, i think i will try it next time i yi.

edit: I have seen some wriggles - youmuu rush yi's that have done very well also.
Slusher
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States19143 Posts
August 06 2013 21:58 GMT
#285
I don't understand the obsession with Shiv or BotrK on Yi.

BotrK is an amazing item because the active is amazing but ulted Yi runs at near double the movespeed of anyone on the map anyway, so the superior lifesteal/damage from hydra/BT is just better, honestly even wriggles is better.

Shiv makes sense for 2 things, poke, and Trynd, because Trynd gets near 100% crit w/o PD, on Yi who is getting most of his damage from Autos the attack speed and extra crit is relevant.

opinions.
Carrilord has arrived.
Complete
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1864 Posts
August 06 2013 22:08 GMT
#286
Does Yi Q proc eldar lizard?
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
August 06 2013 22:13 GMT
#287
It's rare that Yi actually gets to attack with 100% of his attack speed because he's melee. Furthermore, each Alpha Strike charges up a LOT of Shiv's counter, and Shiv rewards you when you can't attack a standing-still target and have to move between attacks.
Kinie
Profile Joined December 2011
United States3106 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-06 22:29:04
August 06 2013 22:26 GMT
#288
Yi's Q procs Elder Lizard. And ppl go nuts over Shiv because his Q procs it, and almost instantly refills the Shiv. If done right, you will literally see Shiv going off every 1-2 seconds as you Q through their entire team. Personally, I love Ghostblade simply because you get a mini-Highlander that stacks with the first one, so you can chase down (or run away from) literally ANYONE on the map really easily. And Ghostblade + BT + Highlander means you will chunk down so many people.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 06 2013 23:23 GMT
#289
Met my first Yi in ranked (don't play often) Wow. The guy just melted people. If we were at all low and you saw highlander activated and an alpha strike, you may as well got up to get some food or something. BT+Shiv+IE+PD. If he ever got stopped that was another but wow, if your (non-slow) cc was on cooldown... gg.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
JeosAdn
Profile Joined September 2011
Costa Rica432 Posts
August 07 2013 00:45 GMT
#290
So shiv>pd, and hydra's buildup makes infinitely better than bt... It seems like my build is a winner!

Honestly though, I want to know if anyone has tried stopping at 2 offensive items and then going randuins+visage. It makes your team fight so much better, since you don't instantly blow up, and w is useful again.
zer0das
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States8519 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-07 04:18:01
August 07 2013 02:31 GMT
#291
I find the timing for Yi's defensive items is extremely awkward. Something like bloodthirster/ghost blade/zerkers is 6600 gold, which only really leaves enough time for one major defensive item before the average game finishes. Given this timing window, I think GA is the best defensive item you can buy as Yi. The reset is incredibly valuable. I suppose you could split your cash between Warden's Mail, a giant's belt, and a negatron, which is pretty much identical to GA in cost, but you have more health. I don't know if that's any better though.

Also I tried Shiv out, and I think its quite strong. It charges almost instantly because:

1. Alpha strike movement counts, and if you land it on 4 targets its approximately 40% worth of charge.
2. Double strike counts as two autos netting you another 20% worth of charge.
3. You move obscenely fast when you're using Highlander.

So a few more autos while moving, and you get another shiv proc. I don't really think it replaces ghost blade, but it serves as a nice compliment. Thinking a core of BT/shiv/ghostblade lets you explode squishes so quickly, it may be worth it to get this over defensive items...

So maybe zerkers/BT/shiv/ghostblade/GA/randuins as a 6 item build.

I hate hydra on Yi, I really don't see any reason to get it, it just doesn't compliment his kit as well as BT, given how much he autos and benefits from raw AD. I guess the build path is a little smoother? But it costs more, so that's kind of a wash. Not a huge fan of BotRK either because it doesn't really give enough raw AD, and I don't think Yi has problems bursting down an individual target. It may be more worthwhile against tankier targets, but I'm not especially convinced (and those aren't really your targets as Yi unless they're the only ones left).
ZataN
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand414 Posts
August 07 2013 03:36 GMT
#292
Played a game with a Yi jungle, he really had no impact on early game, just farmed up and mabey had one or two successful ganks.

Suddenly get to mid game and Yi gets two quads outta nowhere, and finishes the game up with a penta.

And im sitting on cait with the same amount of kills (before the quads/pentas) and way more cs, wondering how Yi did it. Like i was not even in the fights most of the time, we would 4v5 and come out on top as long as yi got the resets.

Silly champ.
CJ BABY | FAKER > PAWN BELIEVE IT
Brambled
Profile Joined July 2010
United States750 Posts
August 07 2013 04:49 GMT
#293
So how are you guys opening up with lane Yi?
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
August 07 2013 06:12 GMT
#294
I like Flask openings. Allows you to hit Alpha pretty often if you need to and sustain against harassers and trades without having to blow Meditate.
It's your boy Guzma!
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
August 08 2013 07:25 GMT
#295
Not sure if I'm a decent Yi player or if he's just broken as shit. But he's carrying me up the ranks >.>

I've become a believer in Hydra/Shiv. Very smooth build and you clear like a mofo. Zephyr first was pretty bad, but I still like BT/Zephyr combo. I did an IE/Shiv build as well that nuked shit, but that really requires you to be ahead.
It's your boy Guzma!
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-08 10:53:44
August 08 2013 10:53 GMT
#296
On August 08 2013 16:25 Requizen wrote:
Not sure if I'm a decent Yi player or if he's just broken as shit. But he's carrying me up the ranks >.>

A bit of both I think.
- considering I've seen all sorts of Yi builds hard carry something seems a bit off.

I still run him with Muramana (go max CDR and a lot AS so I need a colossal manapool), the single target damage become simply rediculous. Starting with Tear makes laningphase so easy, only time I don't get it is if I get first blood - then I go for a snowbally item like Brutalizer. Against harass champions I plop some points into meditate before focusing on his E - still max Q first - and bank on my lategame power.

Regarding building him bruiserish - Visage + Randuins - that is how I prefer going for lategame where the enemy team otherwise have the option to just simply blow you up instantly.

On August 07 2013 13:49 Brambled wrote:
So how are you guys opening up with lane Yi?

At the moment it honestly seems like you can start whatever you want if you just get a bit of sustain be it Flask or whatever. So just go with your gut-instinct.



Which runes do you guys use? Personally I go AS reds, LS quints, Armor and the standard Flat/Scaling MR (against AD composition I get flat CDR blues to start with 10%).


Completely unrelated to League: In english do you use " - blablabla - " as often in danish when you make a small in-sentence speculative/thought/mention as in Danish?
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
sylverfyre
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8298 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-08 11:13:37
August 08 2013 11:12 GMT
#297
On August 08 2013 19:53 Jek wrote:

Completely unrelated to League: In english do you use " - blablabla - " as often in danish when you make a small in-sentence speculative/thought/mention as in Danish?

I don't see it often, but it's still usable. I usually use parentheses instead, but either work.

Shiv sounds great on Yi, not convinced he needs a pushing item like hydra but I guess there's no reason not to.
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
August 08 2013 11:13 GMT
#298
Completely unrelated to League: In english do you use " - blablabla - " as often in danish when you make a small in-sentence speculative/thought/mention as in Danish?


Generally

sentence sentence sentence ( tangent/comment/stray thought) sentence sentence sentence

sentence sentence sentence- example or clarification of subject under discussion- sentence sentence sentence

so like

I like master yi (I know, I know, so does everyone) because he's really cool

I like master yi- particularly with the recent update- and I feel he's in a really good spot right now.

That said, I don't think it's a particularly formal thing.
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
August 08 2013 16:30 GMT
#299
On August 08 2013 20:12 sylverfyre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2013 19:53 Jek wrote:

Completely unrelated to League: In english do you use " - blablabla - " as often in danish when you make a small in-sentence speculative/thought/mention as in Danish?

I don't see it often, but it's still usable. I usually use parentheses instead, but either work.

Shiv sounds great on Yi, not convinced he needs a pushing item like hydra but I guess there's no reason not to.

Hydra isn't necessarily just for pushing. There was math somewhere in GD recently, but basically Hydra is amazing on any AD melee champion. It has a much smoother build path than BT or IE as well, which helps in his mid-game, which can have issues.

From a pure power perspective, AD/Crit stuff like IE/Shiv/LW is more powerful, or maybe something like BT/Zephyr/LW, but you can't necessarily just farm to BFS like a marksman can every game. For example, Teemo is the fucking bane of my existence top lane. Getting to a BFS in any decent amount of time requires lots of ganks or a shitty Teemo.
It's your boy Guzma!
Jek
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark2771 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-08 16:49:15
August 08 2013 16:48 GMT
#300
On August 09 2013 01:30 Requizen wrote:
For example, Teemo is the fucking bane of my existence top lane. Getting to a BFS in any decent amount of time requires lots of ganks or a shitty Teemo.

Last time I played vs a Teemo I defaulted to "turn Yi into a manaless champion" aka Tear build. Free Q farm and meditate whenever it's off CD takes care of his harass.

Yeah I know. I'm in love with Tear.
- think it's a solid situational item on him. I'm just a bad that cannot manage mana without it and thus almost always want it.
It's Elo not ELO - Every statiscian playing League
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem186
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 186
Railgan 89
trigger 46
IndyStarCraft 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 52791
Shuttle 8678
BeSt 758
Horang2 493
actioN 235
Larva 201
Sexy 187
ggaemo 138
Soma 137
Last 117
[ Show more ]
Mind 95
Zeus 79
Sea.KH 60
hero 58
Hyun 54
Killer 47
Aegong 46
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
PianO 22
Rock 19
NaDa 12
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5056
qojqva2655
Dendi1432
420jenkins476
Fuzer 106
Counter-Strike
fl0m3347
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1177
Liquid`Hasu817
MindelVK3
Other Games
B2W.Neo968
singsing713
Beastyqt609
Mlord472
byalli378
ArmadaUGS212
Livibee211
Hui .192
KnowMe123
QueenE68
Mew2King52
CosmosSc2 30
Chillindude20
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick796
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream60
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 53
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2947
League of Legends
• Nemesis2803
Other Games
• WagamamaTV218
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 46m
Replay Cast
7h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 46m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 46m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.