• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:18
CEST 03:18
KST 10:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7936 users

[Patch 3.09: Spirit Guard Udyr Patch] General Discussion -…

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 339 Next
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 16 2013 14:57 GMT
#2001
On July 16 2013 23:44 Zdrastochye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2013 23:25 Requizen wrote:
On July 16 2013 23:10 nojitosunrise wrote:
On July 16 2013 22:27 Requizen wrote:
Except, even as someone who still prefers League to Dota and likes SC2 about equally, LoL really only got where it was by chance. If DotA had been open beta sooner, or if League hadn't gotten a massive popularity boost for whatever reason (probably streams and the like,), it could be completely backwards. There's a lot of circumstances that put League in the right spot while making DotA play second fiddle.
.


Ya no it didn't. LoL got where it is today because their developers gave a damn about their community. No other game developer comes close to Riot's commitment to their community. Heck, the only reason LoL was at WCG 2010 was because every begged Riot for a tournament.

Plenty of developers deeply care about their community without seeing the same results as LoL. Riot had the perfect storm of factors that made their game so successful.
  • They started riding the f2p model early on, before a lot of other games caught on. Now the market is awash in them.
  • Lots of MMOs were dying, and people were looking for a new way to spend all their time. Enter MOBAs. DotA2 was still in closed beta and very elitist, new players didn't want to have to go back to WC3, and HoN was shit. LoL was good (not as good as it is now), and was open and free.
  • At the same time, solo streaming had really started to come into its own as a source of income during WoL's heyday. Sure people were doing it before on things like CS and the like, but SC2 had kind of made it skyrocket. LoL players were getting huge into it to, Regi and HSGG making their name in VoDs and streams alongside tourneys.
  • Speaking of tourneys and SC2, having WoL pump up eSports hype in the west left room for someone else to step in. In the western market, you really only had the choice of BW/SC2 or shooters. With DotA2 in Beta and LoL gaining momentum, it filled that opening quite nicely, bringing in lots of casuals and viewers.


I'm not saying Riot's amazing community involvement has nothing to do with it, it helped the process immensely. But LoL was there at just the perfect time to bring in all the stream viewing, eSport loving, ex-MMO and SC2 players that were looking for a free and fun game. If the beta had started 2 years earlier or later, we would not be seeing the same situation.


That's such a peculiar way to look at it. I mean, I guess your point is the timing was right, but the game was out for awhile, grew a small collection of loyal fans who really loved it, and it really started ballooning in player base months after it was a thing. I'd argue that League MADE it the right time for LoL. They made an entertaining game, and even if people were liking a different game, they left it to come play LoL. Idk about anyone else, but I was palying other games before I played LoL, and then I subsequently stopped playing the other games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. These statements of "well DotA and SC players must feel silly because we won by being the better game" are just patently false. LoL isn't intrinsically better than either, it just hit this sweet spot that made it far more marketable and presentable. SC2, while less intensive than BW, is still a harder and deeper game in most aspects. DotA is pretty much a similar game with a lot of different mechanics, some easier, some harder, some just different. I was just arguing against the idea that LoL "won" by being so much better than the "eSports competition", when that's not entirely the case.
It's your boy Guzma!
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
July 16 2013 15:02 GMT
#2002
On July 16 2013 23:42 SoulSever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2013 23:39 Alaric wrote:
Obligatory "Vileroze has time".


Was more or less expecting someone to say that. In case it wasn't clear, I don't intend on trying to make it as a pro
Though if I'm a stay at home dad, maybe I'll have time?

I actually wrote a blog on this very recently.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 16 2013 15:04 GMT
#2003
On July 17 2013 00:02 WaveofShadow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2013 23:42 SoulSever wrote:
On July 16 2013 23:39 Alaric wrote:
Obligatory "Vileroze has time".


Was more or less expecting someone to say that. In case it wasn't clear, I don't intend on trying to make it as a pro
Though if I'm a stay at home dad, maybe I'll have time?

I actually wrote a blog on this very recently.

Well playing MOBAs/RTSs isn't viable, but being a single player gamer is still pretty attainable. Probably can't rock the loud surround sound on Halo, but nothing's keeping you from sitting on the couch with a controller while the kid plays.
It's your boy Guzma!
Zergneedsfood
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10671 Posts
July 16 2013 15:06 GMT
#2004
On July 16 2013 23:53 ticklishmusic wrote:
I was never completely satisfied with SC2 after years of BW, but I know I used to shit on League when I played SC2.

Can't remember the last time I went to a SC2 forum or watched a stream now though, heh.


All I remember back when the LoL bashing was going on was that it was mostly SC2 players, which I thought was hilariously ironic.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ Make a contract with me and join TLADT | Onodera isn't actually a girl, she's just a doormat you walk over to get to the girl. - Numy 2015
Zdrastochye
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Ivory Coast6262 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-16 15:19:12
July 16 2013 15:18 GMT
#2005
On July 16 2013 23:57 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2013 23:44 Zdrastochye wrote:
On July 16 2013 23:25 Requizen wrote:
On July 16 2013 23:10 nojitosunrise wrote:
On July 16 2013 22:27 Requizen wrote:
Except, even as someone who still prefers League to Dota and likes SC2 about equally, LoL really only got where it was by chance. If DotA had been open beta sooner, or if League hadn't gotten a massive popularity boost for whatever reason (probably streams and the like,), it could be completely backwards. There's a lot of circumstances that put League in the right spot while making DotA play second fiddle.
.


Ya no it didn't. LoL got where it is today because their developers gave a damn about their community. No other game developer comes close to Riot's commitment to their community. Heck, the only reason LoL was at WCG 2010 was because every begged Riot for a tournament.

Plenty of developers deeply care about their community without seeing the same results as LoL. Riot had the perfect storm of factors that made their game so successful.
  • They started riding the f2p model early on, before a lot of other games caught on. Now the market is awash in them.
  • Lots of MMOs were dying, and people were looking for a new way to spend all their time. Enter MOBAs. DotA2 was still in closed beta and very elitist, new players didn't want to have to go back to WC3, and HoN was shit. LoL was good (not as good as it is now), and was open and free.
  • At the same time, solo streaming had really started to come into its own as a source of income during WoL's heyday. Sure people were doing it before on things like CS and the like, but SC2 had kind of made it skyrocket. LoL players were getting huge into it to, Regi and HSGG making their name in VoDs and streams alongside tourneys.
  • Speaking of tourneys and SC2, having WoL pump up eSports hype in the west left room for someone else to step in. In the western market, you really only had the choice of BW/SC2 or shooters. With DotA2 in Beta and LoL gaining momentum, it filled that opening quite nicely, bringing in lots of casuals and viewers.


I'm not saying Riot's amazing community involvement has nothing to do with it, it helped the process immensely. But LoL was there at just the perfect time to bring in all the stream viewing, eSport loving, ex-MMO and SC2 players that were looking for a free and fun game. If the beta had started 2 years earlier or later, we would not be seeing the same situation.


That's such a peculiar way to look at it. I mean, I guess your point is the timing was right, but the game was out for awhile, grew a small collection of loyal fans who really loved it, and it really started ballooning in player base months after it was a thing. I'd argue that League MADE it the right time for LoL. They made an entertaining game, and even if people were liking a different game, they left it to come play LoL. Idk about anyone else, but I was palying other games before I played LoL, and then I subsequently stopped playing the other games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad thing. These statements of "well DotA and SC players must feel silly because we won by being the better game" are just patently false. LoL isn't intrinsically better than either, it just hit this sweet spot that made it far more marketable and presentable. SC2, while less intensive than BW, is still a harder and deeper game in most aspects. DotA is pretty much a similar game with a lot of different mechanics, some easier, some harder, some just different. I was just arguing against the idea that LoL "won" by being so much better than the "eSports competition", when that's not entirely the case.


DotA is unquestionably harder to play. I just wanted to squash that rumor right now that League takes as much effort to play as DotA. They're similar from a strategic point of view, but DotA has a lot higher mechanical floor AND ceiling.

Not that you state that, but I also don't get it when people try to argue against it.
Hey! How you doin'?
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
July 16 2013 15:28 GMT
#2006
I guess I'm gunna go play dota 2 for awhile until this comcast thing blows over. Kinda ridiculous that almost EVERY game I've played has been affected by this ISP/Riot Conflict. Riot says its not them, Comcast says it isn't them. I'd rather play league, but I can't Ice Skate (this is the packet loss thing) and play .
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
July 16 2013 15:31 GMT
#2007
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 16 2013 15:31 GMT
#2008
--- Nuked ---
Zdrastochye
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Ivory Coast6262 Posts
July 16 2013 15:33 GMT
#2009
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.
Hey! How you doin'?
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
July 16 2013 15:40 GMT
#2010
--- Nuked ---
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
July 16 2013 15:51 GMT
#2011
On July 17 2013 00:33 Zdrastochye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.


Well Oranges are clearly superior to Apples.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
July 16 2013 15:53 GMT
#2012
On July 17 2013 00:02 WaveofShadow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2013 23:42 SoulSever wrote:
On July 16 2013 23:39 Alaric wrote:
Obligatory "Vileroze has time".


Was more or less expecting someone to say that. In case it wasn't clear, I don't intend on trying to make it as a pro
Though if I'm a stay at home dad, maybe I'll have time?

I actually wrote a blog on this very recently.

Wave is pretty much the TL LoL resident gamer dad.
Moderator
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
July 16 2013 15:53 GMT
#2013
agreed there but apple juice is just as good as orange juice what the fucks up with that?
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 16 2013 15:54 GMT
#2014
On July 17 2013 00:51 ticklishmusic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2013 00:33 Zdrastochye wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.


Well Oranges are clearly superior to Apples.

Both suck, eat Grapes instead.
It's your boy Guzma!
thenexusp
Profile Joined May 2009
United States3721 Posts
July 16 2013 15:54 GMT
#2015
Eh, different maps aren't really necessary. Starcraft needs them because otherwise there are basically only 9 different starting states (TvZ, TvT, etc.) (maybe times 3 if it's a 4 player map) and that gets stale after a while. For League of Legends, you could list the 5 champions on each team and you would be able to pinpoint the exact professional game that was played from that information alone.

And there's already TT and Dominion, which are meant to be competitive maps even if not enough balance attention is being paid to them.
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
July 16 2013 15:54 GMT
#2016
On July 17 2013 00:54 Requizen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2013 00:51 ticklishmusic wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:33 Zdrastochye wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.


Well Oranges are clearly superior to Apples.

Both suck, eat Grapes instead.

Smite sucks
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
July 16 2013 15:55 GMT
#2017
On July 17 2013 00:54 WaveofShadow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2013 00:54 Requizen wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:51 ticklishmusic wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:33 Zdrastochye wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.


Well Oranges are clearly superior to Apples.

Both suck, eat Grapes instead.

Smite sucks


Smite sucks, LoL sucks, DotA sucks, SC2 sucks, Solstice Arena is the only true gamer's game.
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
July 16 2013 15:55 GMT
#2018
On July 17 2013 00:54 WaveofShadow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2013 00:54 Requizen wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:51 ticklishmusic wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:33 Zdrastochye wrote:
On July 17 2013 00:31 ticklishmusic wrote:
I think by virtue of being a RTS SC2 is going to be more difficult that most if not all MOBA's because of the necessity of multitasking. I won't say SC2 is *harder* that League persay, but playing 3 games of SC2 with maximum intensity takes a lot more out of me than 3 games of League at max.

Then you can just go through and list all the differences like teamplay vs. solo, constant patching and itnroduction of new champs, map pool, etc.


I think what you're getting at is that it's an apples and oranges comparison.


Well Oranges are clearly superior to Apples.

Both suck, eat Grapes instead.

Smite sucks

I was talking about TF2, the true eSport.
It's your boy Guzma!
kongoline
Profile Joined February 2012
6318 Posts
July 16 2013 15:58 GMT
#2019
you all wrong quake is the real esport shame its pretty much dead now
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
July 16 2013 15:59 GMT
#2020
TF2 competitive was pretty fun back in the day before hats and all that. Gravelpit OP
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 339 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 47
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm227
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g8885
JimRising 684
PiGStarcraft445
ViBE151
ArmadaUGS100
Mew2King88
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1279
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• davetesta55
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 42m
INu's Battles
10h 42m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
13h 42m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 42m
Replay Cast
21h 42m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 9h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.