• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:43
CEST 21:43
KST 04:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12539 users

Worldwide Federation of Gaming - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
July 13 2009 21:24 GMT
#101
"establish the first governing body of competitive gaming"

maybe someone should tell him about kespa (along with whatever else is out there)
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
July 13 2009 21:29 GMT
#102
On July 14 2009 06:16 heyoka wrote:
Any game that has prize money has people who are professionals playing only that, how is this surprising to a community that supports a 10 year old video game that has next to no money at all in non-Korean tournaments?


The problem is when the prize money goes to competitive gamers who are forced to play non-competitive games because 'that's where the competition is'.

Who should decide which games are competitive enough to be worthy of a professional scene? Should it be some jackass non-gamer with a lot of money taking suggestions from whoever signs up for his scam first?
Or should it be the gamers themselves, us, the community that follows our individual games?

If a game is just bad, then a community will never develop, and a professional scene will never come into existence. Good games, on the other hand, harbor good communities. These communities already exist. Why not throw prize money at these communities, and let them battle it out their own way? All we need is the prize and the publicity, we already have everything else.

Picking games to be competitive for any reason other than the fact that they are good, tested, balanced games that are also fun to watch pros play is a bad move.


Anyway I've jumped off topic of the response I wanted to post, but I also want to agree that e-sports, like regular sports, should be developed in a game-by-game basis.
I would consider myself a huge e-sports fan. But I would never, EVER watch e-sports competitions of games I don't play. I don't play CS, so I'll never watch CS, and any competition involving CS would lose my interest before they can make money back advertising to me.
The problem is there is a conflict of interest whenever there is a multi-game competition. Community members are individually part of a handful of gaming audiences, each audience is game specific, so why try to mold all of it together?

It's not rocket science, the same idea applies to traditional sports. You'd never see a competition where one minute a team is playing another team in football and the next they're playing basketball.
good vibes only
barth
Profile Joined March 2008
Ireland1272 Posts
July 13 2009 21:47 GMT
#103
How is this even possible... :/
"Somebody you are talking to disappears mid sentence, and the universe shoots you because you talked to someone that wasn`t there." - MasterOfChaos
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
July 13 2009 21:55 GMT
#104
Yu Gi Oh has a fucking LOT of money behind it. I wouldn't shit on it.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
Ronald_McD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada807 Posts
July 13 2009 22:01 GMT
#105
This worries me
Not because it's going to die really fast, I know that
But because after all these failed projects and leagues, who's honestly going to take Esports seriously outside of Korea?
People are going to think that it just doesn't work; When really there's just a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Unfortunately 'gaming' and 'pro gaming' are very two different things. This guy just wants to throw a bunch of nerds in a room with a bunch of random games and have us watch who's the best at whatever. There's no room to sit and hone your skills for specific games, which is what makes for interesting matches for the audience to spectate. Not to mention the games have to be spectator friendly in the first place... I just don't see anyone having a good time watching Guitar Hero 3 being played (the sad part is that I'm probably wrong... I've heard of Guitar Hero 3 pro gamers?)
FUCKING GAY LAGS
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
July 14 2009 02:41 GMT
#106
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.
Trezeguet
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2656 Posts
July 14 2009 02:43 GMT
#107
I love how you can pay 10$ now for stuff you might get in the future. That is the ultimate swindle.
Shivaz
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1783 Posts
July 14 2009 02:44 GMT
#108
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.
ActualSteve
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States627 Posts
July 14 2009 02:44 GMT
#109
On July 14 2009 06:55 L wrote:
Yu Gi Oh has a fucking LOT of money behind it. I wouldn't shit on it.


If I were an Indian overlord who owns hundreds of sweatshops, I wouldn't be proud of the way I make my bread.

I would feel the same way if I played 12 and 40 year olds (the latter being there to "activate their trap cards" on the former!) for money.
You are now breathing manually.
daz
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada643 Posts
July 14 2009 02:45 GMT
#110
On July 14 2009 06:29 Meta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 06:16 heyoka wrote:
Any game that has prize money has people who are professionals playing only that, how is this surprising to a community that supports a 10 year old video game that has next to no money at all in non-Korean tournaments?


The problem is when the prize money goes to competitive gamers who are forced to play non-competitive games because 'that's where the competition is'.

Who should decide which games are competitive enough to be worthy of a professional scene? Should it be some jackass non-gamer with a lot of money taking suggestions from whoever signs up for his scam first?
Or should it be the gamers themselves, us, the community that follows our individual games?

If a game is just bad, then a community will never develop, and a professional scene will never come into existence. Good games, on the other hand, harbor good communities. These communities already exist. Why not throw prize money at these communities, and let them battle it out their own way? All we need is the prize and the publicity, we already have everything else.

Picking games to be competitive for any reason other than the fact that they are good, tested, balanced games that are also fun to watch pros play is a bad move.


Anyway I've jumped off topic of the response I wanted to post, but I also want to agree that e-sports, like regular sports, should be developed in a game-by-game basis.
I would consider myself a huge e-sports fan. But I would never, EVER watch e-sports competitions of games I don't play. I don't play CS, so I'll never watch CS, and any competition involving CS would lose my interest before they can make money back advertising to me.
The problem is there is a conflict of interest whenever there is a multi-game competition. Community members are individually part of a handful of gaming audiences, each audience is game specific, so why try to mold all of it together?

It's not rocket science, the same idea applies to traditional sports. You'd never see a competition where one minute a team is playing another team in football and the next they're playing basketball.


this is because these things are typically started by some old businessmen trying to cash in on a fad who think all video games are the same thing.
Some eat to remember, some smash to forget. 2009msl.com
ActualSteve
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States627 Posts
July 14 2009 02:45 GMT
#111
On July 14 2009 06:24 LosingID8 wrote:
"establish the first governing body of competitive gaming"

maybe someone should tell him about kespa (along with whatever else is out there)


maybe he knows and wants to form the first democratic governing body of competitive gaming ... because we all know the bloc that KeSPA would fall into.
You are now breathing manually.
GGQ
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Canada2653 Posts
July 14 2009 02:52 GMT
#112
On July 14 2009 11:44 Shivaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.


Extremely skilled yugioh players will tend to win tournaments or at least place highly in them. Perhaps not as consistently as in Starcraft, but consistently enough that you cannot simply call yugioh 'luck dependent'. I used to play weekly in local tournaments at my city's card shop; $5 entry fee with the money being split among the top three finishers. It was basically free money for me because there was only one other kid who was playing at my skill level.

Anyways, theres not much more to say about how bad this WWFOG idea is and how certainly it's going to tank. It's trying to be way too much, way too soon.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
July 14 2009 02:55 GMT
#113
On July 14 2009 11:44 Shivaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.

Do you not see how similar that is to what an NFL fan that doesn't respect starcraft would say about starcraft? Seriously?
Elric
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom1327 Posts
July 14 2009 03:11 GMT
#114
What a huge joke. If it weren't for the video for the rich fool, I'd think it was a huge troll. So many things are wrong...

and sorry.. is that guy's nickname really 'Triforce Gamemaster'?????!!!!!!!!! LOL I'm confused.
Faronel
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States658 Posts
July 14 2009 03:23 GMT
#115
Yu-Gi-Oh does have some skill, and the best players get paid more than top SCers

That being said... this idea is complete bullshit. I wonder how much this guy is gonna gain from people paying 10dollars for this bullshit.
C'est la vie...
Shivaz
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1783 Posts
July 14 2009 03:34 GMT
#116
On July 14 2009 11:55 Lemonwalrus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 11:44 Shivaz wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.

Do you not see how similar that is to what an NFL fan that doesn't respect starcraft would say about starcraft? Seriously?


So you are saying I shouldn't bash on Yu-Gi-Oh because I don't understand the game, like how an NFL fans bash on Starcraft and may not understand it? Before you start assuming things, I have played Yu-Gi-Oh before, maybe not serious enough to be entering tourneys but I did play it for a while when I was 12-13 years old (lol). The reason I say its luck dependent is because it depends on the cards you draw, which comes from your deck. Now yes people will say "your deck is how you build it, and better plays will build a better deck", but in Yu-Gi-Oh some cards are just better than others, these "staple" cards are in every half decent deck. Thus leaving not alot of room for variety, and if you decide to build your deck around a dragon theme its going to be very similar to the next guy who builds a dragon theme, because like I said some cards are just better. The cards also progressively gets better each new booster pack, which is basically why I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh. To stay competitive you literally are forced to buy new cards. (when I played Yu-Gi-Oh a 4 star monster had 1600 attack max, and when I stopped keeping up with Yu-Gi-Oh cards 4 star monsters had 1900 attack).

Basically what I am saying is I can't respect a game where new cards coming out keeps being better than older ones, atleast in magic you can build a decent deck using old cards and play it against someone with new cards. In Yu-Gi-Oh you can't, unless of course the old card is one of those "staple" cards.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-14 03:49:19
July 14 2009 03:48 GMT
#117
On July 14 2009 12:34 Shivaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 11:55 Lemonwalrus wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:44 Shivaz wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.

Do you not see how similar that is to what an NFL fan that doesn't respect starcraft would say about starcraft? Seriously?


So you are saying I shouldn't bash on Starcraft because I don't understand the game, like how an Soccer fans bash on The NFL and may not understand it? Before you start assuming things, I have played Starcraft before, maybe not serious enough to be entering tourneys but I did play it for a while when I was 12-13 years old (lol). The reason I say its luck dependent is because it depends on the units you build, which comes from your race. Now yes people will say "your race what you choose, and better plays will not play protoss", but in starcraft some units are just better than others, these "staple" unites are in every half decent matchup. Thus leaving not alot of room for variety, and if you decide to Overpool its going to be very similar to the next guy who Overpools, because like I said some units are just better. The units also progressively gets better each new expansion, which is basically why I stopped playing starcraft. To stay competitive you literally are forced to buy broodwar. (when I played starcraft a 125 mineral unit did 20 damage (Dragoon), and when I stopped keeping up with starcraft 125 mineral units did 40 damage and were invisible).

Basically what I am saying is I can't respect a game where new units coming out keeps being better than older ones.

Shivaz
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada1783 Posts
July 14 2009 03:53 GMT
#118
On July 14 2009 12:48 Lemonwalrus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 14 2009 12:34 Shivaz wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:55 Lemonwalrus wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:44 Shivaz wrote:
On July 14 2009 11:41 Lemonwalrus wrote:
I don't play yugioh, but I just love how followers of professional sc shit all over the idea of professional yugioh.

Hypocrites.


yugioh is mostly luck dependent and how much you are willing to shell out into buying the cards.

Do you not see how similar that is to what an NFL fan that doesn't respect starcraft would say about starcraft? Seriously?


So you are saying I shouldn't bash on Starcraft because I don't understand the game, like how an Soccer fans bash on The NFL and may not understand it? Before you start assuming things, I have played Starcraft before, maybe not serious enough to be entering tourneys but I did play it for a while when I was 12-13 years old (lol). The reason I say its luck dependent is because it depends on the units you build, which comes from your race. Now yes people will say "your race what you choose, and better plays will not play protoss", but in starcraft some units are just better than others, these "staple" unites are in every half decent matchup. Thus leaving not alot of room for variety, and if you decide to Overpool its going to be very similar to the next guy who Overpools, because like I said some units are just better. The units also progressively gets better each new expansion, which is basically why I stopped playing starcraft. To stay competitive you literally are forced to buy broodwar. (when I played starcraft a 125 mineral unit did 20 damage (Dragoon), and when I stopped keeping up with starcraft 125 mineral units did 40 damage and were invisible).

Basically what I am saying is I can't respect a game where new units coming out keeps being better than older ones.



I lol'd at this response because its so bad. When people play Starcraft they all get to use the same units each time and thats different from Yu-Gi-Oh, where in Yu-Gi-Oh if you don't want to buy new cards you can't play competitively, and the people that can afford the cards often think they are the better player.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
July 14 2009 03:57 GMT
#119
So my response is bad because it shows how dumb all but one of the lines in your argument are?

I'll admit that the cost of new cards is a barrier to entry for new players, but that wasn't your main point, or at least I assume it wasn't because it was relegated to one sentence and one parenthetical aside at the bottom of the paragraph.
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
July 14 2009 03:58 GMT
#120
Also, as I feel it is hard to be sure with text, just for everyone's information, I am not attacking Shivaz personally, nor do I mean to come off as a dick, and if either of those seem to be the case I apologize.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #3
LiquipediaDiscussion
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1446
TKL 478
IndyStarCraft 292
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1446
TKL 478
IndyStarCraft 292
EmSc Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23664
Calm 2286
Shuttle 355
Mini 168
White-Ra 147
ZZZero.O 110
firebathero 77
scan(afreeca) 19
soO 12
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc11484
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1387
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4251
Liquid`Hasu594
MindelVK27
Other Games
summit1g6123
Liquid`RaSZi2259
fl0m1635
FrodaN1407
B2W.Neo745
olofmeister654
Khaldor478
Beastyqt342
Livibee185
crisheroes133
Pyrionflax120
Mew2King63
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick771
BasetradeTV211
StarCraft 2
angryscii 21
EmSc Tv 10
EmSc2Tv 10
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 29
• Adnapsc2 12
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach43
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• blackmanpl 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1290
• Shiphtur691
• WagamamaTV332
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 17m
Replay Cast
3h 17m
OSC
16h 17m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.