• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:31
CEST 16:31
KST 23:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8566 users

[Guide] Sleep and Insomnia - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
whatthefat
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States918 Posts
October 22 2011 00:09 GMT
#121
On October 18 2011 04:28 doss wrote:
What would be the result of someone having a 'higher-than-average' level of arousal in the Reticular Activating System?

Since the Reticular Activating System is involved in maintaining wake, it could potentially result in less sleep, or more difficulty getting to sleep. There are a lot of subfunctions within the RAS though (including regulation of REM vs. NREM sleep), so the answer would depend precisely on what is causing the higher-than-average level of arousal.
SlayerS_BoxeR: "I always feel sorry towards Greg (Grack?) T_T"
John Madden
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
American Samoa894 Posts
October 22 2011 00:47 GMT
#122
I have my milk every night
FOOTBALL
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24802 Posts
October 22 2011 05:08 GMT
#123
On October 18 2011 03:57 Gnight wrote:
Though I would like to not that it's more so for the "lighter cases" of Insomnia that this guide is meant too as for me the guide will not help me treat my Insomnia in any way, not that I expected anything else to be honest.

Yeah I have to admit this guide won't work for 100% of people reading it. What percent of people with insomnia do you classify as a 'lighter case' and therefore able to take advantage of this guide? I think the percentage is pretty high and that you are a pretty extreme case (from the sound of it).
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Haato
Profile Joined March 2011
Mexico81 Posts
October 22 2011 08:24 GMT
#124
On June 14 2009 10:35 micronesia wrote:

Finally, doing service for others (charity, helping somebody without compensation, what have you) typically improve how we feel about ourselves. Altruism reduces stress, improves positive emotions, improves attitudes and feelings of contentment about what we have, increases self-esteem and sense of well-being, and promotes social support which reduces anger and social isolation.


I find this quite true myself and when people praise you for being so selfless I just kind of laugh inside and know it's helping me be less negative for a while. It is a nice effect indeed.
Selfish maybe?
death is easy, comedy is hard
Kingsp4de20
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States716 Posts
October 22 2011 08:30 GMT
#125
wow, very informative thread. Excellent read! Thanks!!
Tabula`Rasa
Profile Joined September 2010
Singapore81 Posts
October 22 2011 09:52 GMT
#126
From a long time sufferer of insomnia, I'd like to say that was an excellent read. Thanks!
Ostracized
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada52 Posts
October 22 2011 13:39 GMT
#127
Good read, thanks. I got an average of 4.5 hours of sleep the last three nights.
freddievercetti
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
224 Posts
October 22 2011 13:44 GMT
#128
On October 22 2011 14:08 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2011 03:57 Gnight wrote:
Though I would like to not that it's more so for the "lighter cases" of Insomnia that this guide is meant too as for me the guide will not help me treat my Insomnia in any way, not that I expected anything else to be honest.

Yeah I have to admit this guide won't work for 100% of people reading it. What percent of people with insomnia do you classify as a 'lighter case' and therefore able to take advantage of this guide? I think the percentage is pretty high and that you are a pretty extreme case (from the sound of it).


I think I'm one of those lighter case that was able to take advantage of this guide. I installed F.lux which relaxed my eyes at night, started to stop playing until 12, instead reading some reddit stuff to slow the mind down(i kinda fall asleep by reading :<), and for a week I've been able to sleep at 12. I couldn't stay awake last night for more than the first 2 matches of MVP vs MMA >.
Nexi
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia182 Posts
October 22 2011 13:58 GMT
#129
Thank you Micronesia, this is helpful for me.
iSometric
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
2221 Posts
October 22 2011 14:22 GMT
#130
Is it normal to not fall asleep for 30-45 min sometimes during stressful days? Sometimes if I have something important the following day, I can't sleep for 60min+
strava.com/athletes/zhaodynasty
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24802 Posts
October 22 2011 14:38 GMT
#131
On October 22 2011 23:22 iSometric wrote:
Is it normal to not fall asleep for 30-45 min sometimes during stressful days? Sometimes if I have something important the following day, I can't sleep for 60min+

Yes, this is normal. But you should eventually get better about falling asleep, even on stressful days.

Even though I felt like I made a lot of progress myself a few years ago, I still sometimes am a bit too excited to go to bed the day before some big thing too.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
ZeeMan
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia66 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-22 15:19:18
October 22 2011 15:15 GMT
#132
Good guide. I end up going to sleep later and later every day since I'm not tired, until I'm going to sleep at midday and waking up at 11pm. Eventually I get back to normal, then it starts again. It sucks when I have events to go to. Since I'm doing work from home I don't have to get up at any specific time. I've tried setting my alarm but I'm always incredibly tired when it goes off and I go back to sleep.

I'll try getting off the PC a couple of hours before I should go to sleep. Probably read for a couple of hours. Unfortunately I do all my reading on my ipad now haha so I might have to buy some real books.

I haven't yet put in a real effort in order to stop it, but this guide has inspired me to give it a go.
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
October 26 2011 07:40 GMT
#133
Well, I'm not really an insomniac, I think, but the last few nights, I wake up in the middle of the night, and can't get back to sleep. Then it starts to become a patturn, until I break it. Get a few good nights of sleep, then boom, happens again. Rinse, repeat. Very annoying.
Gnight
Profile Joined September 2011
77 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 13:21:15
October 26 2011 13:05 GMT
#134
On October 22 2011 14:08 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2011 03:57 Gnight wrote:
Though I would like to not that it's more so for the "lighter cases" of Insomnia that this guide is meant too as for me the guide will not help me treat my Insomnia in any way, not that I expected anything else to be honest.

Yeah I have to admit this guide won't work for 100% of people reading it. What percent of people with insomnia do you classify as a 'lighter case' and therefore able to take advantage of this guide? I think the percentage is pretty high and that you are a pretty extreme case (from the sound of it).



I am sorta tempted to say that I am a part of the 1% and that this guide will only work for the other 99% of the people who suffer from Insomnia. xD
But seriously said, while those numbers may not even be that off, I don't have a real idea on how much people suffer from Insomnia and to what "degree", so it's hard to put forth numbers. If I have to take a estimation either way, I think that the "lighter" cases that can take advantage of this guide would be around the 70-80% of the people who suffer from Insomnia, at the very least.

Even so, that is a estimation with no actual base to go on, so I might be way off. Though, I don't think it should really matter how many people you can help. Even if only 1% who suffer from Insomnia manage to take advantage of this guide it wasn't a waste, heck even if this guide managed to help just 1 person I wouldn't find it a waste. ^ ^

Seeing the replies and all, it's without a doubt more then 1 person who found the guide a great help, on top of that comes the fact that your guide can do more then just try to help people who suffer from Insomnia. It's a nice read with tons of information regarding Insomnia that people can take advantage to inform themselves on the subject.

Either way, the guide was anything but a waste of my time, once again my thanks.


(Ps, my advice is still to get the topic moved to the Health & Fitness section or get one of the topics there to put a link to this guide in their OP for easier access. But that's not up to me to decide. >.<)
“Sleep is like the unicorn - it is rumored to exist, but I doubt I will see any”
A x i o M
Profile Joined March 2011
United States78 Posts
October 26 2011 18:40 GMT
#135
Really helpful stuff. I've been struggling with insomnia for a while now. Thanks Micro!
"Get thee to a nunnery...dick." -Day[9] | "Sup son." -SelecT | “If anyone ever doubts your passion towards eSports, tell them you were here in 2011 at Blizzcon and watched the GSL Finals. Thank you very much. I love you all.” -Jun Kyu Park
Razith
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada431 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 19:00:40
October 26 2011 18:59 GMT
#136
I was teaching myself to lucid dream and one of the side effects was insomnia, which caused a lot of problems for me. I tried really hard to break out of it but I would find myself staring at the ceiling for hours before eventually falling asleep and waking up multiple times throughout the night. I don't know if I had true insomnia, but here is what helped me break out of it and start falling asleep normal.

First of all I gave myself realistic chances. From the hour I woke up, I added on 16 hours and concluded that for a fair chance I shouldn't be falling asleep until then. This my be different for others but I was trying to fall asleep at 1am after waking up at 12pm.

Secondly, I read the changes my body went through when entering sleep, such as slower breathing, slower heart rate and lower body temperature. So I turned on my fan / window or stayed above my covers, and focused on my breathing and heart beat and trying to lower them. I would take big deep breaths through my mouth and let them out slowly through through my nose.

Combining these two things allowed me to shift from feeling stressful in bed to calm quite easily and I would now start catching myself drift off. At this stage I just recognized this as okay and correct and eventually I just started drifting into sleep.

Brought down the time it took me to sleep from an hour+ to under 30 minutes on most nights. Hope this helps someone.
Flowtax
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands42 Posts
October 26 2011 20:13 GMT
#137
Im glad this is bumped. Just finished reading part 1. Thanks Micro !
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Ayaz2810
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2763 Posts
October 27 2011 02:12 GMT
#138
Since this thread is here, I figure it gives me a chance to address something that may or may not be some kind of insomnia.

Lately, I wake up every day feeling miserably tired. I work from 2PM - midnight, so I typically fall asleep around 1 AM. Lately though, I have been feeling like total ass when I have to get up. I usually have to get up sometime between 8 and 9. If left alone, I will sleep until nearly 11 AM. Sometimes I have even passed that mark. I fall asleep quickly, and don't ever recall waking up or anything, but something is clearly wrong. It might have more to do with the quality of sleep I'm getting rather than the amount. I just don't know.

Has anyone experienced this? Are there any physicians who post on TL who might know something? If it is something like sleep apnea, how can I confirm it?

Also, I read the OP hoping there would be something similar to my issue. No luck =(
Vrtra Vanquisher/Tiamat Trouncer/World Serpent Slayer
tuestresfat
Profile Joined December 2010
2555 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-27 03:28:11
October 27 2011 03:27 GMT
#139
I guess I fit the bill, just 3 days ago (sunday) I couldn't get any sleep whatsoever. Lay around in bed for a good 5 hours before giving up which sucks because I can't afford to miss any of my monday lectures. Ended up having to stay up for 28 hours straight o.o and this isn't exactly a rare occurrence either =/

edit:
oh and thanks to OP, i read the entire guide. and thanks to whoever bumped this lol
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
August 25 2012 16:19 GMT
#140
Finally got around to reading this, I'm betting it's going to be super helpful. Thanks for writing it
brood war for life, brood war forever
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 354
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33413
Bisu 2990
Shuttle 1721
Hyuk 1321
EffOrt 695
Mini 683
Larva 347
Soma 286
ZerO 257
firebathero 241
[ Show more ]
hero 92
Zeus 91
Last 85
Sexy 80
Mong 42
Hyun 42
Killer 39
Pusan 35
Trap 34
Bale 33
ToSsGirL 33
Hm[arnc] 31
Aegong 27
PianO 27
sorry 24
zelot 16
Rock 14
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Sacsri 8
JulyZerg 8
Icarus 7
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7203
qojqva1425
Dendi959
Counter-Strike
fl0m2053
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1355
crisheroes901
Liquid`Hasu551
Lowko401
Other Games
singsing2636
B2W.Neo1298
Beastyqt334
Livibee204
Hui .195
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS91
Mew2King85
KnowMe82
elazer58
CosmosSc2 25
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream56
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 37
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7341
• WagamamaTV197
League of Legends
• Jankos1884
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 29m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 29m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 29m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 29m
INu's Battles
21h 29m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.