• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:16
CEST 12:16
KST 19:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8345 users

getting drunk on xmas, the bad way.

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Duke
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States1106 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-12-25 15:20:35
December 25 2007 15:19 GMT
#1
Now that I've got your attention with that opener that no doubt shows "getting drunk on xmas" on the tab, I'm going to brief you on my shitty situation, because all my friends are busy with their family shit.

My dad is an alcoholic, and for three years in a row, he's been drunk on christmas day(I'm underage so this sucks extremely). This day is especially bad, because my aunt and uncle are supposed to be picking us up in 3 hours to go to the family party @ their place. The family knows he's an alcoholic but it just seems fucked up to call them up right now and say we can't go because he's passed out drunk.
Some of you will probably say, 'well you can go without him!' Whenever my dad's drunk i usually take care of him, making sure he doesn't fall down flights of stairs, tying his shoes so he can go outside and smoke, etc... I'll skip a little cause I got off my train of thought

My grandparents said especially yesterday that "if you don't show up, we'll know it's because the gifts we got you sucked" -- they said this because me and my dad have a history of avoiding family gatherings from lacking motivation due to depression or anxiety related issues. so I feel 23902352x worse because of something my dad can't get a grip on. this sucks a lot.

anyway, back to a paragraph earlier, I'd be waaay too anxious leaving him alone when he's piss drunk.

tl;dr - alcoholism tears apart families

also, I don't write blogs because they'd always be about depressing shit and no one wants to read that all the time.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-12-25 15:35:10
December 25 2007 15:34 GMT
#2
This is a shitty Christmas for TL.

When your aunt and uncle arrive tell them the situation, and if your grandparents don't like it, their loss.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
December 25 2007 15:44 GMT
#3
Get the guy some help already. Don't just aid him in it, help him get it under control.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
Tadzio
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
3340 Posts
December 25 2007 16:25 GMT
#4
Its hard for me to grasp the idea of someone that's so drunk that he can't tie shoe laces or safely navigate a staircase... yet he's still awake. That's some hardcore drunk. I'd suggest going without him, and consider staging an intervention of some kind in the near future. Best of luck to you.
Oxygen
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
Canada3581 Posts
December 25 2007 16:27 GMT
#5
Dude, I speak from some experience... not as bad as yours, but gl, it will get better.
Dont drink and derive. TSL: Made with Balls.
MiniRoman
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Canada3953 Posts
December 25 2007 16:39 GMT
#6
My gf's dad is a severe alcoholic with some random suicidal tendancies. It's no fucking good. Never realized how bad it actually was (always knew it was bad but it was never like real, my uncle is an alcoholic but again never effects me so I never bothered much) until I got close with her family. My condolances to you, sucks hard.
Nak Allstar.
omgbnetsux
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States3749 Posts
December 25 2007 16:51 GMT
#7
Try to get your dad to AA somehow.
berated-
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1134 Posts
December 25 2007 16:55 GMT
#8
Situations like this are always hard, and I hope that things work out the best. I think explaining to your aunt and uncle like someone suggested is the best route to go. Its shitty to hear this on christmas and even though we're only through the internet, I just want you to know that I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all here for you as much as possible and wish you a merry x-mas more than anything. I sincerely hope your day turns out for the best and you are able to do what makes you happy on this day. Best of luck.
OctoPuSs
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
Canada5279 Posts
December 25 2007 17:15 GMT
#9
Man your situation is even worse than mine. I think he has reached a point where you need to force him into a program. Best of luck lad.
Depression is just a sarcastic state of mind. Liquid`HerO Fighting!
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
December 25 2007 17:31 GMT
#10
Tell your aunt and uncle and get them to help you, you shouldn't be taking care of your drunk father on Christmas. Do you live only with your father? Someone should have intervened by now, your family should be helping you, not leaving you to take care of your drunk father.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
BoGardFurY
Profile Joined November 2005
United States68 Posts
December 25 2007 17:48 GMT
#11
maybe your Father wouldn't drink so much if you weren't such an pussy. My X-mas is so much better knowing you exist and are miserable. Hit the bottle buy a gun and become a hero.
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
December 25 2007 17:53 GMT
#12
On December 26 2007 02:48 BoGardFurY wrote:
maybe your Father wouldn't drink so much if you weren't such an pussy. My X-mas is so much better knowing you exist and are miserable. Hit the bottle buy a gun and become a hero.


you're an asshole.
davidgurt
Profile Joined September 2006
United States1355 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-12-25 18:00:21
December 25 2007 17:59 GMT
#13
On December 26 2007 02:48 BoGardFurY wrote:
maybe your Father wouldn't drink so much if you weren't such an pussy. My X-mas is so much better knowing you exist and are miserable. Hit the bottle buy a gun and become a hero.




Which mod wants to give him one-way ticket to Disneyland for his Christmas gift?
There's crashing?
grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
December 25 2007 18:02 GMT
#14
On December 26 2007 02:48 BoGardFurY wrote:
maybe your Father wouldn't drink so much if you weren't such an pussy. My X-mas is so much better knowing you exist and are miserable. Hit the bottle buy a gun and become a hero.


The /b/ attitude barely works over there and it sure as fucking hell won't work here, fuck off
We make signature, then defense it.
[cF]TridenT
Profile Joined August 2004
United States665 Posts
December 25 2007 18:14 GMT
#15
Im probably going to try to get piss drunk to help numb the pain of what just happened to me.. Every present I opened this morning reminded me of my ex girlfriend.. I just want to get away from everything today :\.. But to your situation that sucks.. maybe it will help prevent me from gettin stupid drunk around the family because of how it will make them feel.. :\ gah i hate life so much right now...
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
BombSniffingDog
Profile Joined October 2007
Turkmenistan107 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-12-25 19:15:47
December 25 2007 19:09 GMT
#16
Trident, the sun will come out tomorrow!

OP I can relate to your depression anxiety issues. This year and last year I have spent christmas by myself in my studio apartment because I am too fucked up in the head to go see my family who I haven't seen in over 2 years. My girlfriend even invited me over to her house ( I have been with her a year ) and I declined because of depression/anxiety issues. Fuck, I just met her mother for the first time and I have been with her for a year. It was kinda strange, but easy once it was actually happening. I psyche myself out alot. Anyway I am pretty sure at this point I am going to die a lonely old man. I think I am numb to the whole concept of 'family' and I think it's really sad and selfish of me. I think if I ever got the courage to actually speak to my father again, it would be alot easier to go to my grandparents house with all my family. I miss the macaroni salad and the chicken wings the wood pellet stove and the nice comforting atmosphere, but all of that seems so distant now, since I am fucked up in the head and burn bridges left and right. Anyway, hope everyone here is grateful for their families, have a merry christmas!

Edit: and just as I finished typing this, my dad sent me a text message ( he got my cell from my sister ) that said ' merry christmas luv u dad '. I am not going to respond, just because I am that selfish and fucked up. Sometimes I feel I am incapable of caring about anything but myself and it is the w o r s t feeling in the world. OP hope you don't mind me talking here, my point was I can relate to the depression and anxiety issues. Hopefully one day when I have a family on my own I will be a great father and a great husband. Hopefully I am not numb to love and compassion like I am now, or else, what is this life really for?
GranDim
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
Canada1214 Posts
December 25 2007 19:30 GMT
#17
On December 26 2007 04:09 BombSniffingDog wrote:
Trident, the sun will come out tomorrow!

OP I can relate to your depression anxiety issues. This year and last year I have spent christmas by myself in my studio apartment because I am too fucked up in the head to go see my family who I haven't seen in over 2 years. My girlfriend even invited me over to her house ( I have been with her a year ) and I declined because of depression/anxiety issues. Fuck, I just met her mother for the first time and I have been with her for a year. It was kinda strange, but easy once it was actually happening. I psyche myself out alot. Anyway I am pretty sure at this point I am going to die a lonely old man. I think I am numb to the whole concept of 'family' and I think it's really sad and selfish of me. I think if I ever got the courage to actually speak to my father again, it would be alot easier to go to my grandparents house with all my family. I miss the macaroni salad and the chicken wings the wood pellet stove and the nice comforting atmosphere, but all of that seems so distant now, since I am fucked up in the head and burn bridges left and right. Anyway, hope everyone here is grateful for their families, have a merry christmas!

Edit: and just as I finished typing this, my dad sent me a text message ( he got my cell from my sister ) that said ' merry christmas luv u dad '. I am not going to respond, just because I am that selfish and fucked up. Sometimes I feel I am incapable of caring about anything but myself and it is the w o r s t feeling in the world. OP hope you don't mind me talking here, my point was I can relate to the depression and anxiety issues. Hopefully one day when I have a family on my own I will be a great father and a great husband. Hopefully I am not numb to love and compassion like I am now, or else, what is this life really for?


Just respond now.
nemY
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States3119 Posts
December 25 2007 19:44 GMT
#18
On December 26 2007 04:09 BombSniffingDog wrote:
Trident, the sun will come out tomorrow!

OP I can relate to your depression anxiety issues. This year and last year I have spent christmas by myself in my studio apartment because I am too fucked up in the head to go see my family who I haven't seen in over 2 years. My girlfriend even invited me over to her house ( I have been with her a year ) and I declined because of depression/anxiety issues. Fuck, I just met her mother for the first time and I have been with her for a year. It was kinda strange, but easy once it was actually happening. I psyche myself out alot. Anyway I am pretty sure at this point I am going to die a lonely old man. I think I am numb to the whole concept of 'family' and I think it's really sad and selfish of me. I think if I ever got the courage to actually speak to my father again, it would be alot easier to go to my grandparents house with all my family. I miss the macaroni salad and the chicken wings the wood pellet stove and the nice comforting atmosphere, but all of that seems so distant now, since I am fucked up in the head and burn bridges left and right. Anyway, hope everyone here is grateful for their families, have a merry christmas!

Edit: and just as I finished typing this, my dad sent me a text message ( he got my cell from my sister ) that said ' merry christmas luv u dad '. I am not going to respond, just because I am that selfish and fucked up. Sometimes I feel I am incapable of caring about anything but myself and it is the w o r s t feeling in the world. OP hope you don't mind me talking here, my point was I can relate to the depression and anxiety issues. Hopefully one day when I have a family on my own I will be a great father and a great husband. Hopefully I am not numb to love and compassion like I am now, or else, what is this life really for?


I'd respond just to at least let them know you're alive.
Folca
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
2235 Posts
December 25 2007 20:01 GMT
#19
On December 26 2007 02:48 BoGardFurY wrote:
maybe your Father wouldn't drink so much if you weren't such an pussy. My X-mas is so much better knowing you exist and are miserable. Hit the bottle buy a gun and become a hero.

People like you ruin Christmas
Dea : one time when he was playing vs the comps he asked me "how do I make that flying unit that makes the other stuff invisible" and I reply "ur playing terran zomg"
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
December 25 2007 20:16 GMT
#20
On December 26 2007 04:44 nemY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2007 04:09 BombSniffingDog wrote:
Trident, the sun will come out tomorrow!

OP I can relate to your depression anxiety issues. This year and last year I have spent christmas by myself in my studio apartment because I am too fucked up in the head to go see my family who I haven't seen in over 2 years. My girlfriend even invited me over to her house ( I have been with her a year ) and I declined because of depression/anxiety issues. Fuck, I just met her mother for the first time and I have been with her for a year. It was kinda strange, but easy once it was actually happening. I psyche myself out alot. Anyway I am pretty sure at this point I am going to die a lonely old man. I think I am numb to the whole concept of 'family' and I think it's really sad and selfish of me. I think if I ever got the courage to actually speak to my father again, it would be alot easier to go to my grandparents house with all my family. I miss the macaroni salad and the chicken wings the wood pellet stove and the nice comforting atmosphere, but all of that seems so distant now, since I am fucked up in the head and burn bridges left and right. Anyway, hope everyone here is grateful for their families, have a merry christmas!

Edit: and just as I finished typing this, my dad sent me a text message ( he got my cell from my sister ) that said ' merry christmas luv u dad '. I am not going to respond, just because I am that selfish and fucked up. Sometimes I feel I am incapable of caring about anything but myself and it is the w o r s t feeling in the world. OP hope you don't mind me talking here, my point was I can relate to the depression and anxiety issues. Hopefully one day when I have a family on my own I will be a great father and a great husband. Hopefully I am not numb to love and compassion like I am now, or else, what is this life really for?


I'd respond just to at least let them know you're alive.


"thanks dad, love you too, have a great one."

not hard.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 9879
StarCastTV_EN223
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings42
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 5825
Jaedong 2428
EffOrt 1718
actioN 880
BeSt 661
Soma 444
Killer 438
Horang2 438
Pusan 296
ZerO 265
[ Show more ]
Stork 171
Zeus 144
Rush 90
soO 76
HiyA 67
JYJ 56
Mong 32
Shinee 31
ToSsGirL 31
Barracks 28
Bale 28
NaDa 23
Sexy 22
Sharp 21
sorry 20
Terrorterran 20
JulyZerg 12
Noble 9
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc2731
XaKoH 341
Counter-Strike
edward67
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes978
WinterStarcraft828
Other Games
gofns46311
singsing1308
olofmeister1189
ceh9549
byalli295
Livibee201
Pyrionflax156
ArmadaUGS31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick524
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream412
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 153
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• StrangeGG 44
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1861
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 44m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.