• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:13
CEST 17:13
KST 00:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8704 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 5645

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5643 5644 5645 5646 5647 5994 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 17:16 GMT
#112881
On April 09 2026 02:11 Vivax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 01:50 LightSpectra wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:33 WombaT wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:17 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:15 WombaT wrote:
On April 08 2026 23:56 LightSpectra wrote:
I don't consider someone who compared Kamala Harris to Hitler and constantly repeats right-wing talking points to be an ally. That's an important thing to teach to passerbys, that fake left-wingers/tankies aren't on the same side as progressives and should rarely be assumed to be engaging in good faith.

I don’t think that lacking any pragmatic political instincts whatsoever necessarily means one is fake or not engaging in good faith

I wouldn’t ally with someone so perpetually wrong and incapable of compromise or admitting miscalculations, but I do think it comes from an earnest place

Basically Hanlon's Razor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Indeed.

I think it’s outright lunacy to think some socialist revolution is currently possible in a country to the right of most equivalent nations and who’ve elected a Fascist twice, but people can be simply wrong as opposed to malicious

Socialist revolution is necessary in the US (I think everyone here actually agrees and accepts that), that doesn't mean I don't also accept the real probability that I can earnestly work the rest of my life toward it without it succeeding in my lifetime. That has basically always been a recognized part of practicing revolutionary socialism understood through the Black Radical Tradition.

You guys set up these imaginary strawmen in your minds to kick around and chuckle among yourselves, and it's just disappointing of some pretty low standards in this context.


Expecting someone to have some consistency with things they have previously said isn't what "strawman" means. Your gaslighting would make more sense if you were doing it in real life, it doesn't work in a forum where it takes seconds to go into your post history and see you updating your beliefs.

Like, it was just last month you were insinuating that people who didn't use their guns to resist Trump were cowards. Do you think we just forgot that?


What's wrong with updating beliefs ?
Protesting remains the best tool. It's easy to get a warped view of what one thinks the population wants when living in the bubble of power, especially when it's highly unprofitable to be in disagreement.


Updating your beliefs is great. Changing your beliefs on the fly to get an advantage in an argument and then blatantly lying about it, not so much.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-08 17:20:34
April 08 2026 17:18 GMT
#112882
On April 09 2026 02:04 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 01:48 Billyboy wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:33 WombaT wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:17 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:15 WombaT wrote:
On April 08 2026 23:56 LightSpectra wrote:
I don't consider someone who compared Kamala Harris to Hitler and constantly repeats right-wing talking points to be an ally. That's an important thing to teach to passerbys, that fake left-wingers/tankies aren't on the same side as progressives and should rarely be assumed to be engaging in good faith.

I don’t think that lacking any pragmatic political instincts whatsoever necessarily means one is fake or not engaging in good faith

I wouldn’t ally with someone so perpetually wrong and incapable of compromise or admitting miscalculations, but I do think it comes from an earnest place

Basically Hanlon's Razor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Indeed.

I think it’s outright lunacy to think some socialist revolution is currently possible in a country to the right of most equivalent nations and who’ve elected a Fascist twice, but people can be simply wrong as opposed to malicious

Socialist revolution is necessary in the US (I think everyone here actually agrees and accepts that), that doesn't mean I don't also accept the real probability that I can earnestly work the rest of my life toward it without it succeeding in my lifetime. That has basically always been a recognized part of practicing revolutionary socialism understood through the Black Radical Tradition.

You guys set up these imaginary strawmen in your minds to kick around and chuckle among yourselves, and it's just disappointing of some pretty low standards in this context.

People do not want USSR, China, Cuba or Venezuela like you do. They don’t pretend that China is not genocidal or that any of those leaders actually were interested in socialism in any real way.

Until you actually discuss how your version of a revolution would create something different than has existed, no one agrees with you.

What people agree with is that the US government and system is fucked. But they want to keep the democracy part. Basically they want Nordic socialism and you want USSR socialism. It’s a drastic difference that you purposely ignore.

To expand upon your post, the other key point GH refuses to engage in+ Show Spoiler +
is that if you get a revolution you don't actually get to pick your brand of socialism. You can't say ahead of time "well I'd support a revolution to get Nordic socialism" because revolutions don't work that way. You can only say "I support a revolution to get the mystery box" and in the USSR, in China, in Cambodia, in Cuba, in Iran, in Venezuela, in Libya etc. the mystery box has always been a brutal and incompetent dictatorship.

I'll engage with plenty, but I think we all agreed me refusing to engage JimmiC/Billyboy despite the years of baits was the best option?

Part of the problem is that you guys have a (pretty wide) variety of shifting imaginary caricatures of what I actually support/believe because you've refused (for ~a decade) to develop anything resembling a cursory understanding of revolutionary socialism as understood through the lens of the Black Radical Tradition and that it is a (deeply) multigenerational project in basically every conception.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 17:20 GMT
#112883
Maybe you should devote your time to spreading black radical tradition instead of mocking and gawking at people when they find your beliefs inconsistent?
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
April 08 2026 17:43 GMT
#112884
On April 09 2026 02:20 LightSpectra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 02:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:04 KwarK wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:48 Billyboy wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:33 WombaT wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:17 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:15 WombaT wrote:
On April 08 2026 23:56 LightSpectra wrote:
I don't consider someone who compared Kamala Harris to Hitler and constantly repeats right-wing talking points to be an ally. That's an important thing to teach to passerbys, that fake left-wingers/tankies aren't on the same side as progressives and should rarely be assumed to be engaging in good faith.

I don’t think that lacking any pragmatic political instincts whatsoever necessarily means one is fake or not engaging in good faith

I wouldn’t ally with someone so perpetually wrong and incapable of compromise or admitting miscalculations, but I do think it comes from an earnest place

Basically Hanlon's Razor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Indeed.

I think it’s outright lunacy to think some socialist revolution is currently possible in a country to the right of most equivalent nations and who’ve elected a Fascist twice, but people can be simply wrong as opposed to malicious

Socialist revolution is necessary in the US (I think everyone here actually agrees and accepts that), that doesn't mean I don't also accept the real probability that I can earnestly work the rest of my life toward it without it succeeding in my lifetime. That has basically always been a recognized part of practicing revolutionary socialism understood through the Black Radical Tradition.

You guys set up these imaginary strawmen in your minds to kick around and chuckle among yourselves, and it's just disappointing of some pretty low standards in this context.

People do not want USSR, China, Cuba or Venezuela like you do. They don’t pretend that China is not genocidal or that any of those leaders actually were interested in socialism in any real way.

Until you actually discuss how your version of a revolution would create something different than has existed, no one agrees with you.

What people agree with is that the US government and system is fucked. But they want to keep the democracy part. Basically they want Nordic socialism and you want USSR socialism. It’s a drastic difference that you purposely ignore.

To expand upon your post, the other key point GH refuses to engage in+ Show Spoiler +
is that if you get a revolution you don't actually get to pick your brand of socialism. You can't say ahead of time "well I'd support a revolution to get Nordic socialism" because revolutions don't work that way. You can only say "I support a revolution to get the mystery box" and in the USSR, in China, in Cambodia, in Cuba, in Iran, in Venezuela, in Libya etc. the mystery box has always been a brutal and incompetent dictatorship.

I'll engage with plenty, but I think we all agreed me refusing to engage JimmiC/Billyboy despite the years of baits was the best option?

Part of the problem is that you guys have a (pretty wide) variety of shifting imaginary caricatures of what I actually support/believe because you've refused (for ~a decade) to develop anything resembling a cursory understanding of revolutionary socialism as understood through the lens of the Black Radical Tradition and that it is a (deeply) multigenerational project in basically every conception.


Maybe you should devote your time to spreading black radical tradition instead of mocking and gawking at people when they find your beliefs inconsistent?


I do. Socialist organizations with resources are very white in the US, so it is something that comes up pretty regularly. As far as around here, people insisted I was just making words up when I tried that. That said, I regularly reference aspects and I'm not opposed to discussing it more frequently/deeply. Perhaps I should have been more entertaining of IgnE's "class first" positions given the direction the thread took instead. I doubt it would have mattered though.

Just to be clear, when I say "mock and gawk" we're referencing different things.


"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-08 18:00:13
April 08 2026 17:57 GMT
#112885
I mean, you could spread it here, in this thread. "(X) makes sense according to (ideology) because of (reasons)."

As opposed to "you guys only think (X) doesn't make sense because you don't know anything about (ideology)", which not only does absolutely nothing to justify your position, it doesn't actually educate anyone about what (ideology) is or why it's worth paying attention to.

I'm a democratic-socialist and when someone doesn't know what that entails, I get more specific about its goals, history, and justification because I think it's a good thing if more people either hold the same ideology, or at least have a positive opinion about it. If I were an anti-democratic-socialist (and immensely bored) I would say stupid shit and then throw that term in people's faces so they associate it with idiocy and gaslighting.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-08 18:05:34
April 08 2026 18:04 GMT
#112886
On April 09 2026 02:57 LightSpectra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 02:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:20 LightSpectra wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:04 KwarK wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:48 Billyboy wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:33 WombaT wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:17 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:15 WombaT wrote:
[quote]
I don’t think that lacking any pragmatic political instincts whatsoever necessarily means one is fake or not engaging in good faith

I wouldn’t ally with someone so perpetually wrong and incapable of compromise or admitting miscalculations, but I do think it comes from an earnest place

Basically Hanlon's Razor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

Indeed.

I think it’s outright lunacy to think some socialist revolution is currently possible in a country to the right of most equivalent nations and who’ve elected a Fascist twice, but people can be simply wrong as opposed to malicious

Socialist revolution is necessary in the US (I think everyone here actually agrees and accepts that), that doesn't mean I don't also accept the real probability that I can earnestly work the rest of my life toward it without it succeeding in my lifetime. That has basically always been a recognized part of practicing revolutionary socialism understood through the Black Radical Tradition.

You guys set up these imaginary strawmen in your minds to kick around and chuckle among yourselves, and it's just disappointing of some pretty low standards in this context.

People do not want USSR, China, Cuba or Venezuela like you do. They don’t pretend that China is not genocidal or that any of those leaders actually were interested in socialism in any real way.

Until you actually discuss how your version of a revolution would create something different than has existed, no one agrees with you.

What people agree with is that the US government and system is fucked. But they want to keep the democracy part. Basically they want Nordic socialism and you want USSR socialism. It’s a drastic difference that you purposely ignore.

To expand upon your post, the other key point GH refuses to engage in+ Show Spoiler +
is that if you get a revolution you don't actually get to pick your brand of socialism. You can't say ahead of time "well I'd support a revolution to get Nordic socialism" because revolutions don't work that way. You can only say "I support a revolution to get the mystery box" and in the USSR, in China, in Cambodia, in Cuba, in Iran, in Venezuela, in Libya etc. the mystery box has always been a brutal and incompetent dictatorship.

I'll engage with plenty, but I think we all agreed me refusing to engage JimmiC/Billyboy despite the years of baits was the best option?

Part of the problem is that you guys have a (pretty wide) variety of shifting imaginary caricatures of what I actually support/believe because you've refused (for ~a decade) to develop anything resembling a cursory understanding of revolutionary socialism as understood through the lens of the Black Radical Tradition and that it is a (deeply) multigenerational project in basically every conception.


Maybe you should devote your time to spreading black radical tradition instead of mocking and gawking at people when they find your beliefs inconsistent?


I do. Socialist organizations with resources are very white in the US, so it is something that comes up pretty regularly. As far as around here, people insisted I was just making words up when I tried that. That said, I regularly reference aspects and I'm not opposed to discussing it more frequently/deeply. Perhaps I should have been more entertaining of IgnE's "class first" positions given the direction the thread took instead. I doubt it would have mattered though.

Just to be clear, when I say "mock and gawk" we're referencing different things.




I mean, you could spread it here, in this thread+ Show Spoiler +
. "(X) makes sense according to (ideology) because of (reasons)."

As opposed to "you guys only think (X) doesn't make sense because you don't know anything about (ideology)", which not only does absolutely nothing to justify your position, it doesn't actually educate anyone about what (ideology) is or why it's worth paying attention to.


I'm a democratic-socialist and when someone doesn't know what that entails, I get more specific about its goals, history, and justification because I think it's a good thing if more people either hold the same ideology, or at least have a positive opinion about it.+ Show Spoiler +
If I were an anti-democratic-socialist (and immensely bored) I would say stupid shit and then throw that term in people's faces so they associate it with idiocy and gaslighting.

I do.

Are you a democratic-socialist or a social democrat?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 18:07 GMT
#112887
The former, and I made several posts in this thread about Clement Attlee's premiership being the model for domestic policy.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17892 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-08 18:30:14
April 08 2026 18:12 GMT
#112888
Today's NYT article goes a long way towards explaining Rubio's Freudian slip that an imminent Israeli attack on Iran prompted the USA to start the war.

Here is the article
https://www.nytimes.com/2026/04/07/us/politics/trump-iran-war.html
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
April 08 2026 18:15 GMT
#112889
On April 09 2026 01:25 hitthat wrote:
Aaaaand the fun resumes after short half-time. And this time I cannot blame Trump "directly" for that.

This went through unremarked but yeah, ceasefire never started. Israel insisted on continuing in Lebanon and Iran refused to reopen strait it the Israeli attacks continued. No ships have passed and the US proposal was contingent on ships passing.

All that happened was Trump’s deadline expired and so he announced an extension.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
April 08 2026 18:22 GMT
#112890
On April 09 2026 03:15 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 01:25 hitthat wrote:
Aaaaand the fun resumes after short half-time. And this time I cannot blame Trump "directly" for that.

This went through unremarked but yeah, ceasefire never started. Israel insisted on continuing in Lebanon and Iran refused to reopen strait it the Israeli attacks continued. No ships have passed and the US proposal was contingent on ships passing.

All that happened was Trump’s deadline expired and so he announced an extension.
Israel no caring about any deal between the US and Iran (or indeed them actively sabotaging it) is the least surprising thing to happen this year.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2026-04-08 18:30:02
April 08 2026 18:24 GMT
#112891
On April 09 2026 03:07 LightSpectra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 03:04 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:57 LightSpectra wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:20 LightSpectra wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 02:04 KwarK wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:48 Billyboy wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:43 GreenHorizons wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:33 WombaT wrote:
[quote]
Indeed.

I think it’s outright lunacy to think some socialist revolution is currently possible in a country to the right of most equivalent nations and who’ve elected a Fascist twice, but people can be simply wrong as opposed to malicious

Socialist revolution is necessary in the US (I think everyone here actually agrees and accepts that), that doesn't mean I don't also accept the real probability that I can earnestly work the rest of my life toward it without it succeeding in my lifetime. That has basically always been a recognized part of practicing revolutionary socialism understood through the Black Radical Tradition.

You guys set up these imaginary strawmen in your minds to kick around and chuckle among yourselves, and it's just disappointing of some pretty low standards in this context.

People do not want USSR, China, Cuba or Venezuela like you do. They don’t pretend that China is not genocidal or that any of those leaders actually were interested in socialism in any real way.

Until you actually discuss how your version of a revolution would create something different than has existed, no one agrees with you.

What people agree with is that the US government and system is fucked. But they want to keep the democracy part. Basically they want Nordic socialism and you want USSR socialism. It’s a drastic difference that you purposely ignore.

To expand upon your post, the other key point GH refuses to engage in+ Show Spoiler +
is that if you get a revolution you don't actually get to pick your brand of socialism. You can't say ahead of time "well I'd support a revolution to get Nordic socialism" because revolutions don't work that way. You can only say "I support a revolution to get the mystery box" and in the USSR, in China, in Cambodia, in Cuba, in Iran, in Venezuela, in Libya etc. the mystery box has always been a brutal and incompetent dictatorship.

I'll engage with plenty, but I think we all agreed me refusing to engage JimmiC/Billyboy despite the years of baits was the best option?

Part of the problem is that you guys have a (pretty wide) variety of shifting imaginary caricatures of what I actually support/believe because you've refused (for ~a decade) to develop anything resembling a cursory understanding of revolutionary socialism as understood through the lens of the Black Radical Tradition and that it is a (deeply) multigenerational project in basically every conception.


Maybe you should devote your time to spreading black radical tradition instead of mocking and gawking at people when they find your beliefs inconsistent?


I do. Socialist organizations with resources are very white in the US, so it is something that comes up pretty regularly. As far as around here, people insisted I was just making words up when I tried that. That said, I regularly reference aspects and I'm not opposed to discussing it more frequently/deeply. Perhaps I should have been more entertaining of IgnE's "class first" positions given the direction the thread took instead. I doubt it would have mattered though.

Just to be clear, when I say "mock and gawk" we're referencing different things.




I mean, you could spread it here, in this thread+ Show Spoiler +
. "(X) makes sense according to (ideology) because of (reasons)."

As opposed to "you guys only think (X) doesn't make sense because you don't know anything about (ideology)", which not only does absolutely nothing to justify your position, it doesn't actually educate anyone about what (ideology) is or why it's worth paying attention to.


I'm a democratic-socialist and when someone doesn't know what that entails, I get more specific about its goals, history, and justification because I think it's a good thing if more people either hold the same ideology, or at least have a positive opinion about it.+ Show Spoiler +
If I were an anti-democratic-socialist (and immensely bored) I would say stupid shit and then throw that term in people's faces so they associate it with idiocy and gaslighting.

I do.

Are you a democratic-socialist or a social democrat?

The former, and I made several posts in this thread about Clement Attlee's premiership being the model for domestic policy.

Okay, so you consider yourself a democratic socialist. You've pointed to Clement Attlee's premiership as a model for domestic policy.

When you say "as a model for domestic policy" what do you mean? Setting aside the nuances (particularly the wartime influences) others raised when you mentioned it before for now, I want to get a clearer picture of what you're saying.

Are you saying you want to see the next Democratic nominee run on that platform, that it's basically what you see as the end goal of democratic socialism, or perhaps you see it (British society under Attlee's premiership) as reflective of what a society on a path to replacing capitalism (which you support) and embracing democratic socialism might look like within our lifetimes? Something else? I genuinely agree with you that the goals, history, and justifications of democratic socialism are valuable to discuss as they apply to contemporary US politics and having more people hold/have positive opinions about democratic socialism is a good thing.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 18:43 GMT
#112892
On April 09 2026 03:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
Are you saying you want to see the next Democratic nominee run on that platform,


Ideally yes, although I don't think that's a realistic expectation for 2028.

that it's basically what you see as the end goal of democratic socialism,


It's the best possible starting point for further collectivization. The end goal is a Star Trek future.

or perhaps you see it (British society under Attlee's premiership) as reflective of what a society on a path to replacing capitalism (which you support) and embracing democratic socialism might look like within our lifetimes?


I don't want to imply that all sorts of problems that existed in the UK circa 1945-1951 (e.g. colonialism, conservative Christian mores about single motherhood and homosexuality, etc.) are negligible, so I wouldn't word it like this. Only that on a purely economic level, it's feasible to nationalize 20% of the economy within six years without major societal disruptions or violence.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
April 08 2026 19:27 GMT
#112893
On April 09 2026 03:43 LightSpectra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 03:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
Are you saying you want to see the next Democratic nominee run on that platform,


Ideally yes, although I don't think that's a realistic expectation for 2028.

Show nested quote +
that it's basically what you see as the end goal of democratic socialism,


It's the best possible starting point for further collectivization. The end goal is a Star Trek future.

Show nested quote +
or perhaps you see it (British society under Attlee's premiership) as reflective of what a society on a path to replacing capitalism (which you support) and embracing democratic socialism might look like within our lifetimes?


I don't want to imply that all sorts of problems that existed in the UK circa 1945-1951 (e.g. colonialism, conservative Christian mores about single motherhood and homosexuality, etc.) are negligible, so I wouldn't word it like this. Only that on a purely economic level, it's feasible to nationalize 20% of the economy within six years without major societal disruptions or violence.

Would it be fair to think of it as something other than a "starting point" if it's not something you believe can even be on the only viable party platform years from now? Nevermind what it would actually take to get through Congress?

I'm sure others will touch on this (Walter Rodney does in How Europe Underdeveloped Africa), but I don't believe you can honestly say "without major societal disruptions or violence" unless you just don't count a lot of humans that endured major societal disruptions and violence as part of facilitating the British economy generally.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 19:45 GMT
#112894
On April 09 2026 04:27 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 03:43 LightSpectra wrote:
On April 09 2026 03:24 GreenHorizons wrote:
Are you saying you want to see the next Democratic nominee run on that platform,


Ideally yes, although I don't think that's a realistic expectation for 2028.

that it's basically what you see as the end goal of democratic socialism,


It's the best possible starting point for further collectivization. The end goal is a Star Trek future.

or perhaps you see it (British society under Attlee's premiership) as reflective of what a society on a path to replacing capitalism (which you support) and embracing democratic socialism might look like within our lifetimes?


I don't want to imply that all sorts of problems that existed in the UK circa 1945-1951 (e.g. colonialism, conservative Christian mores about single motherhood and homosexuality, etc.) are negligible, so I wouldn't word it like this. Only that on a purely economic level, it's feasible to nationalize 20% of the economy within six years without major societal disruptions or violence.

Would it be fair to think of it as something other than a "starting point" if it's not something you believe can even be on the only viable party platform years from now?


It's a starting point for an administration to pursue from the moment they're in power.

Nevermind what it would actually take to get through Congress?


Depends on what Congress looks like in this hypothetical scenario.

I'm sure others will touch on this (Walter Rodney does in How Europe Underdeveloped Africa), but I don't believe you can honestly say "without major societal disruptions or violence" unless you just don't count a lot of humans that endured major societal disruptions and violence as part of facilitating the British economy generally.


I am aware that Britain was a colonial empire at the time. I am assuming you aware that Attlee was the one who began the decolonization process. So what are you implying here? Nationalizing healthcare, steel, etc. would have failed if there wasn't a colonial empire underpinning it? Or perhaps, there's no point in pursuing socialism because some people somewhere in the global economy will still be exploited?
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
April 08 2026 19:47 GMT
#112895
I am once again begging you to remember that Attlee led Britain during WW2.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 19:53 GMT
#112896
On April 09 2026 04:47 KwarK wrote:
I am once again begging you to remember that Attlee led Britain during WW2.


He was deputy PM in a coalition government that was entirely focused on the war and didn't become the actual PM until July 26, 1945. Japan's surrender was announced the next month, before any major policies were enacted. The first nationalizations started in 1946.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
April 08 2026 20:00 GMT
#112897
On April 09 2026 04:53 LightSpectra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 04:47 KwarK wrote:
I am once again begging you to remember that Attlee led Britain during WW2.


He was deputy PM in a coalition government that was entirely focused on the war and didn't become the actual PM until July 26, 1945. Japan's surrender was announced the next month, before any major policies were enacted. The first nationalizations started in 1946.

Which represented a substantial reduction in the proportion of the labour force working for the state.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3265 Posts
April 08 2026 20:04 GMT
#112898
What's the implication? Nationalization only works if there's a labor shortage? I'm not going to spend time replying to an argument you're only insinuating.
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
April 08 2026 20:16 GMT
#112899
On April 09 2026 05:04 LightSpectra wrote:
What's the implication? Nationalization only works if there's a labor shortage? I'm not going to spend time replying to an argument you're only insinuating.

To you, the economy was already state run. People were already getting government issued food rations, a large share of the national product was seized by the government for collective use, a large part of the workforce was already directly or indirectly employed by the state including millions of men in uniform. When compared to the starting point Attlee moved the UK economy away from state control. But even if we ignore that, the Attlee model is inseparable from the cultural context, you can’t meaningfully imagine it outside of a national calamity on the scale of WW2.

And also to GH who seems to want to make this about imperial exploitation, 1945 wasn’t a great time for the British Empire. Colonial treasure wasn’t pouring in to subsidize British socialist programs.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
April 08 2026 20:24 GMT
#112900
On April 09 2026 03:22 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2026 03:15 KwarK wrote:
On April 09 2026 01:25 hitthat wrote:
Aaaaand the fun resumes after short half-time. And this time I cannot blame Trump "directly" for that.

This went through unremarked but yeah, ceasefire never started. Israel insisted on continuing in Lebanon and Iran refused to reopen strait it the Israeli attacks continued. No ships have passed and the US proposal was contingent on ships passing.

All that happened was Trump’s deadline expired and so he announced an extension.
Israel no caring about any deal between the US and Iran (or indeed them actively sabotaging it) is the least surprising thing to happen this year.

Israel will do whatever Trump tells them. Netanyahu has left himself with no other option. Lebanon wasn't part of the ceasefire. At least in the understanding of the Trump administration.
Prev 1 5643 5644 5645 5646 5647 5994 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 454
BRAT_OK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32278
Bisu 2971
Shuttle 1753
Hyuk 1168
EffOrt 627
Mini 492
Larva 447
ZerO 354
Soma 333
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Zeus 120
hero 116
Sexy 66
Hyun 46
Last 43
Mong 40
Trap 38
Pusan 36
PianO 34
Killer 32
Bale 29
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 27
Hm[arnc] 22
sorry 20
zelot 15
Terrorterran 14
Rock 12
Sacsri 10
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7875
qojqva1768
Dendi979
Counter-Strike
fl0m2923
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1499
crisheroes998
Liquid`Hasu548
Lowko463
Other Games
singsing2115
B2W.Neo1263
Beastyqt504
Hui .219
Livibee213
Mlord154
Liquid`VortiX148
KnowMe110
ArmadaUGS104
elazer83
Mew2King81
CosmosSc2 21
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 31
• poizon28 25
• Adnapsc2 11
• mYiSmile111
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8826
• WagamamaTV268
League of Legends
• Jankos1977
Other Games
• Shiphtur170
Upcoming Events
FEL
47m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 47m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 47m
INu's Battles
20h 47m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.