• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:37
CEST 22:37
KST 05:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9294 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 5321

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5319 5320 5321 5322 5323 5993 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27446 Posts
October 18 2025 17:58 GMT
#106401
On October 19 2025 00:00 Sent. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2025 23:46 WombaT wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 LightSpectra wrote:
On October 17 2025 00:29 Razyda wrote:
I do agree that democrats only chance is to appeal to centrist. Thing is current iteration of democratic party lost them.
Covid, Hunter laptop, dragging Trump through courts entire election, celebrating murder, idiotic nazi rhetoric. On top of that they keep going, riots, attacks on federal agents (which are, whether you like it or not, officers of the law) and on top of that democrats politicians going out of their way to make said federal agents harder. Add government shutdown to it.

No centre person get behind this kind of stuff and fact that democrats behave like a bunch of spoiled brats doesnt help.


I love this comment. The American centrist is more concerned about a laptop that Republicans investigated and found no proof of wrongdoing than they are about the billion dollar bribe Qatar openly gave to Trump in the form of a jumbo jet that he publicly stated he would keep after the end of his presidency.

‘Centrist’

A centrist is like an intelligent person. They exist, but if someone claims to be thus themselves, they probably aren’t.


I feel attacked!

Haha not intended, it’s a rule of thumb that doesn’t always apply! Yanno what I mean I assume
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-18 18:10:49
October 18 2025 18:10 GMT
#106402
On October 19 2025 02:45 Fleetfeet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Should I go to my local No Kings protest? Are any of you going?

I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".


You have the roles of toddler and adult reversed, I feel.

How so?

On October 19 2025 02:49 Zambrah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Should I go to my local No Kings protest? Are any of you going?

I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?


Im not, I'm staying in and finishing out my playthrough of Persona 5 Royal

I'm not sure if we're supposed to be planning our escape or dressing up as inflatable unicorns, but based on the ratings, I guess I should look into this Persona series.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27446 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-18 18:15:46
October 18 2025 18:10 GMT
#106403
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Should I go to my local No Kings protest? Are any of you going?

I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".

Welcome to revolutionary movements. Or at least nascent protest ones.

They often start with diffuse, undirected dissatisfaction, sometimes they fade out through lack of direction, sometimes they coalesce into something more tangible.

Is this news?

Understandable sure, all got our lives to lead. Completely ridiculous coming from you, who’s happy to shame everyone else.

Methinks your accelerationist gambit failed, catastrophically and not only will you refuse to own it, you’ll refuse to help clean up the mess.

Just leave the genocide enablers to try eh?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Dan HH
Profile Joined July 2012
Romania9246 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-18 18:40:49
October 18 2025 18:39 GMT
#106404
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you. Moaning about a protest not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18449 Posts
October 18 2025 18:41 GMT
#106405
On October 19 2025 03:10 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Should I go to my local No Kings protest? Are any of you going?

I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".

Welcome to revolutionary movements. Or at least nascent protest ones.

They often start with diffuse, undirected dissatisfaction, sometimes they fade out through lack of direction, sometimes they coalesce into something more tangible.

Is this news?

Understandable sure, all got our lives to lead. Completely ridiculous coming from you, who’s happy to shame everyone else.

Methinks your accelerationist gambit failed, catastrophically and not only will you refuse to own it, you’ll refuse to help clean up the mess.

Just leave the genocide enablers to try eh?


I don't think that's true though, right? For actual revolutions?

If we exclude colonies revolting against their colonizer, which is a lot of the revolutions, we have:

France - lack of food
Russia - disastrous handling of WW1, including lack of food
China - it's complicated
Spain - monied elites having their way of life threatened by socialism stage a military coup
20th century South America and Africa, repeatedly - CIA + monied elites have their way of life threatened by socialism, so stage a military coup
Iran - it's complicated
Arab Spring - lack of food

Overall they don't start with diffuse undirected dissatisfaction. The only one of these I'd classify that way is the Iranian revolution. Most have fairly clear triggers: a bunch of rich assholes fear they won't be rich much longer if the government keeps doing what it's doing, or a popular uprising for very specific reasons; mostly an acute food shortage.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
October 18 2025 18:52 GMT
#106406
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
October 18 2025 18:58 GMT
#106407
On October 19 2025 03:10 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 02:45 Fleetfeet wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
[quote]
I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".


You have the roles of toddler and adult reversed, I feel.

How so?

Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 02:49 Zambrah wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:26 GreenHorizons wrote:
Should I go to my local No Kings protest? Are any of you going?

I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?


Im not, I'm staying in and finishing out my playthrough of Persona 5 Royal

I'm not sure if we're supposed to be planning our escape or dressing up as inflatable unicorns, but based on the ratings, I guess I should look into this Persona series.


I cant recommend Persona unless you have 50 - 100 hours of time for it and/or dont have an addictive personality
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Dan HH
Profile Joined July 2012
Romania9246 Posts
October 18 2025 19:04 GMT
#106408
On October 19 2025 03:41 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:10 WombaT wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:36 Acrofales wrote:
[quote]
I would, but Spain is weirdly fond of their monarch so no local protests here.

Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".

Welcome to revolutionary movements. Or at least nascent protest ones.

They often start with diffuse, undirected dissatisfaction, sometimes they fade out through lack of direction, sometimes they coalesce into something more tangible.

Is this news?

Understandable sure, all got our lives to lead. Completely ridiculous coming from you, who’s happy to shame everyone else.

Methinks your accelerationist gambit failed, catastrophically and not only will you refuse to own it, you’ll refuse to help clean up the mess.

Just leave the genocide enablers to try eh?


I don't think that's true though, right? For actual revolutions?

If we exclude colonies revolting against their colonizer, which is a lot of the revolutions, we have:

France - lack of food
Russia - disastrous handling of WW1, including lack of food
China - it's complicated
Spain - monied elites having their way of life threatened by socialism stage a military coup
20th century South America and Africa, repeatedly - CIA + monied elites have their way of life threatened by socialism, so stage a military coup
Iran - it's complicated
Arab Spring - lack of food

Overall they don't start with diffuse undirected dissatisfaction. The only one of these I'd classify that way is the Iranian revolution. Most have fairly clear triggers: a bunch of rich assholes fear they won't be rich much longer if the government keeps doing what it's doing, or a popular uprising for very specific reasons; mostly an acute food shortage.

Many of the '89 revolutions started with diffuse dissatisfaction. Hell, East Germany had weekly pro-democracy demonstrations every monday.

The most recent revolution, Nepal's, was supposed to be a peaceful anti-corruption demonstration and was quite small initially. Some protesters threw rocks and authorities responded overzealously by shooting protesters, and that response made it become something orders of magnitude larger and more direct in the following days.
ChristianS
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3304 Posts
October 18 2025 19:04 GMT
#106409
On October 19 2025 03:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"

Indeed, I’m currently holding literature from a socialist org handed to me by a guy wearing a “socialism is the future” shirt. No clue if this org is any good but I don’t think it makes sense for aspiring socialists to be *unhappy* about millions of people taking to the streets to express their discontent with fascism.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Robert J. Hanlon
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
October 18 2025 19:25 GMT
#106410
On October 19 2025 04:04 ChristianS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"

Indeed, I’m currently holding literature from a socialist org handed to me by a guy wearing a “socialism is the future” shirt. No clue if this org is any good but I don’t think it makes sense for aspiring socialists to be *unhappy* about millions of people taking to the streets to express their discontent with fascism.

Yeah, I'm supporting people doing this locally and nationally.

I'm happy about millions taking to the streets. I'm still concerned inordinate amounts of energy is being carelessly wasted, in part, by not having the sort of clear articulable goals/demands that are typically expected (frequently by people attending these No Kings protests) of other protests.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
October 18 2025 19:29 GMT
#106411
On October 19 2025 04:04 Dan HH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:41 Acrofales wrote:
On October 19 2025 03:10 WombaT wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:35 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:17 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 01:02 ChristianS wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 00:25 ChristianS wrote:
On October 18 2025 23:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
[quote]
Just a little Kings as a treat?

No one here going, or maybe they're already at one?

I’m going

Edit: I don’t go every two weeks, but this one feels like it might be more valuable than most.

How so?

I'd have to skip a family gathering, and that just feels like a better use of my time frankly.

No argument here, be with your family. But immediately after the authoritarians try to intimidate everyone out of showing up is a good time to show up imo

I can't help but feel/wonder "show up for what?" "No Kings"? As Acro indicates, it's not exactly "Kings" that are the problem.

I’m not convinced that monarchists aren’t a pretty significant percentage of the problem. Some of them are self-identified monarchists, some would insist they’re not, but they all support unchecked personalist rule. In Europe they’d be recognized as such more quickly, but it’s been so long Americans don’t realize what they’re looking at.

But yes, I haven’t gone to more of these because of the overwhelming “Now what?” feeling they leave you with (and don’t seem to have much of an answer to).

I know there's no way it would ever be my dream list, but if there was just some basic "these 3 things are what we're demanding and we're all going to stay out here occupyish style until we get it" I think it would significantly help that "now what?" feeling.

Obviously not all ~5 - 10 million people that protest today can do that, but we could all (including the millions that are supportive but otherwise occupied/live elsewhere) collectively support the million or so that could with our support.

Instead, this feels more like letting your kid throw a tantrum so they tire themselves out and then fall asleep. It's easier than forcing them to stop or winning the argument rationally. Meanwhile, the reality is their tantrum isn't stopping you from doing what you want anyway, so you might as well "let them get it out of their system".

Welcome to revolutionary movements. Or at least nascent protest ones.

They often start with diffuse, undirected dissatisfaction, sometimes they fade out through lack of direction, sometimes they coalesce into something more tangible.

Is this news?

Understandable sure, all got our lives to lead. Completely ridiculous coming from you, who’s happy to shame everyone else.

Methinks your accelerationist gambit failed, catastrophically and not only will you refuse to own it, you’ll refuse to help clean up the mess.

Just leave the genocide enablers to try eh?


I don't think that's true though, right? For actual revolutions?

If we exclude colonies revolting against their colonizer, which is a lot of the revolutions, we have:

France - lack of food
Russia - disastrous handling of WW1, including lack of food
China - it's complicated
Spain - monied elites having their way of life threatened by socialism stage a military coup
20th century South America and Africa, repeatedly - CIA + monied elites have their way of life threatened by socialism, so stage a military coup
Iran - it's complicated
Arab Spring - lack of food

Overall they don't start with diffuse undirected dissatisfaction. The only one of these I'd classify that way is the Iranian revolution. Most have fairly clear triggers: a bunch of rich assholes fear they won't be rich much longer if the government keeps doing what it's doing, or a popular uprising for very specific reasons; mostly an acute food shortage.

Many of the '89 revolutions started with diffuse dissatisfaction. Hell, East Germany had weekly pro-democracy demonstrations every monday.

The most recent revolution, Nepal's, was supposed to be a peaceful anti-corruption demonstration and was quite small initially. Some protesters threw rocks and authorities responded overzealously by shooting protesters, and that response made it become something orders of magnitude larger and more direct in the following days.
And we known Trump has no problem ordering people protesting him to be shot. The only thing stopping it from happening is police/military refusing the order.
Former Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said President Donald Trump inquired about shooting protesters amid the unrest that took place after George Floyd's murder in 2020.
www.npr.org
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Dan HH
Profile Joined July 2012
Romania9246 Posts
October 18 2025 19:34 GMT
#106412
On October 19 2025 03:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"

Fair enough if you've been trying that. These movements are unpredictable, you can have a single wrong move by authorities turn the tide against the state in a quick blitz, or you can have up to a few years of buildup to a boiling point, or you can have the whole thing fizzle out and people give up hope.

For the US I'm expecting the midterms to be the key moment. The current admin and the people following their illegal and immoral orders are not acting the way someone would if they would expect power to realistically transfer hands and open up the possibility of them being held to account.

But even leaving the ethics aside, their incompetence in handling trade, medical care and the decrease in quality of public services in general makes it unrealistic for them to win fair elections. They'll have to resolve this contradiction, and to me it's mostly a question of how far they would have to go to ensure continued control of Congress and the public response to that.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12014 Posts
October 18 2025 22:14 GMT
#106413
On October 19 2025 04:34 Dan HH wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 03:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"

Fair enough if you've been trying that. These movements are unpredictable, you can have a single wrong move by authorities turn the tide against the state in a quick blitz, or you can have up to a few years of buildup to a boiling point, or you can have the whole thing fizzle out and people give up hope.

For the US I'm expecting the midterms to be the key moment. The current admin and the people following their illegal and immoral orders are not acting the way someone would if they would expect power to realistically transfer hands and open up the possibility of them being held to account.

But even leaving the ethics aside, their incompetence in handling trade, medical care and the decrease in quality of public services in general makes it unrealistic for them to win fair elections. They'll have to resolve this contradiction, and to me it's mostly a question of how far they would have to go to ensure continued control of Congress and the public response to that.


It is important to know that they always have an easy out. Trump can just do a blanket pardon, and then no one will hold them accountable. So it is theoretically possible that they actually accept losing, though i don't think it is very likely.
Razyda
Profile Joined March 2013
1059 Posts
October 18 2025 23:16 GMT
#106414
On October 19 2025 07:14 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2025 04:34 Dan HH wrote:
On October 19 2025 03:52 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 19 2025 03:39 Dan HH wrote:
He's sort of right, one-day protests without demands are the least effective. Though I wouldn't call them useless, millions of people showing disapproval is important for the cultural direction of how things evolve even if they don't have immediate tangible results.

But like.. go and tell them about it? Go and find the local organizers and have a chat with them and shoot your shot, or grab a megaphone and tell the crowd you'll be there every evening and ask whoever can do that as well to join you.+ Show Spoiler +
Moaning about direct action not being actiony enough on a Starcraft forum where there's 0 of the organizers and maybe 1 other person from your city is less than what they're doing.

Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as to say "useless", but "wasted" for sure.

I mean, I have (particularly during the George Floyd uprising). But that's good in that it is at least an argument for going if I hadn't/wasn't having these discussions with local organizers already.

From what I'm hearing from friends at protests is that it would be a pretty promising recruitment ground for more effective actions/organizing because of all the people wondering "now what?"

Fair enough if you've been trying that. These movements are unpredictable, you can have a single wrong move by authorities turn the tide against the state in a quick blitz, or you can have up to a few years of buildup to a boiling point, or you can have the whole thing fizzle out and people give up hope.

For the US I'm expecting the midterms to be the key moment. The current admin and the people following their illegal and immoral orders are not acting the way someone would if they would expect power to realistically transfer hands and open up the possibility of them being held to account.

But even leaving the ethics aside, their incompetence in handling trade, medical care and the decrease in quality of public services in general makes it unrealistic for them to win fair elections. They'll have to resolve this contradiction, and to me it's mostly a question of how far they would have to go to ensure continued control of Congress and the public response to that.


It is important to know that they always have an easy out. Trump can just do a blanket pardon, and then no one will hold them accountable. So it is theoretically possible that they actually accept losing, though i don't think it is very likely.


Biden is prime example of this. I believe he granted Fauci pardon since 2014 for some reason.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
October 18 2025 23:19 GMT
#106415
Good thing he did, seeing as how blatantly Trump is weaponizing the justice system to go after his perceived enemies.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
October 18 2025 23:23 GMT
#106416
"For some reason" seeing how trumps year of vengence is going it seems pretty justified.

A better example is richard nixon, dude literally did crimes but he was allowed to step down without punishment in exchange for the pardon.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
LightSpectra
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3263 Posts
October 18 2025 23:43 GMT
#106417
Really don't think MAGAts want to play the "pardons are proof of guilt" game lmfao
"don't try to pull a LightSpectra-Trumper"
Razyda
Profile Joined March 2013
1059 Posts
October 18 2025 23:53 GMT
#106418
On October 19 2025 08:19 micronesia wrote:
Good thing he did, seeing as how blatantly Trump is weaponizing the justice system to go after his perceived enemies.


Simply fantastic.
Trump should now announce that at the end of his term he will pardon everyone who votes for candidates he support. Since like 1925 to be safe. Picture of face, driving license, and ballot, in the same frame is required. You know, just to make sure that Democrats wont drag people through courts.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24801 Posts
October 18 2025 23:57 GMT
#106419
Considering Trump's the only president to so blatantly weaponize the criminal justice system so far, there's no need to "both sides" this yet.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Razyda
Profile Joined March 2013
1059 Posts
October 19 2025 00:04 GMT
#106420
On October 19 2025 08:57 micronesia wrote:
Considering Trump's the only president to so blatantly weaponize the criminal justice system so far, there's no need to "both sides" this yet.


You cant be serious now? How many court cases he faced since he started running for president?
Prev 1 5319 5320 5321 5322 5323 5993 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech144
UpATreeSC 141
JuggernautJason74
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 227
Dewaltoss 107
Hyuk 69
Bale 18
League of Legends
Doublelift1635
Counter-Strike
fl0m1223
Fnx 780
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King96
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4713
crisheroes1009
Khaldor978
Liquid`Hasu625
Other Games
summit1g7137
FrodaN2303
shahzam403
KnowMe377
XBOCT334
C9.Mang0188
ArmadaUGS130
ZombieGrub43
Trikslyr31
CosmosSc2 23
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV269
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream53
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2746
Other Games
• imaqtpie845
• Shiphtur291
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 24m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 24m
Online Event
14h 24m
FEL
19h 24m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 24m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 24m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.