• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:06
CEST 14:06
KST 21:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202618Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10313 users

Is the USA heading towards "Big Brother" Govt? - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Disengaged
Profile Joined July 2010
United States6994 Posts
February 05 2013 22:59 GMT
#141
I don't know what to think yet.

Only time will tell I guess.
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
February 05 2013 23:06 GMT
#142
On February 06 2013 07:53 sam!zdat wrote:
Well, that plus his definition of totalitarianism just sounds like absolutism to me


where's the power in a totalitarian state? god I'm glad I never had to pass an exam with this subject :D
It's sad tho that one of the main aspect of totalitarism, the fact that it's not the state which had the power, is ignored by 90% of the people talking about it.
His definition is perfect for an ideal fascist state tho, dunno if you can apply it on Italy tho since it's a tad complicated with the church and resilience of the italians.
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 23:09:58
February 05 2013 23:09 GMT
#143
the short answer: the totalitarian leader is a sort of empty-signifier who maintains the edifice precisely by insisting upon his own emptiness. He is sort of the exact inverse of the absolutist ruler?

the long answer: fuck if I know, go ask Arendt and Zizek.
shikata ga nai
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
February 05 2013 23:17 GMT
#144
I actually like Zizek's simple definition of future totalitarianism better. It will not be Orwell's 1984, it will not be Huxley's Brave New World, simply, it will be like China's and Singapore's form of capitalism aka East Asian Capitalism. Naomi Klein also talked about it quite it bit on Democracy Now! as well.
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
February 05 2013 23:19 GMT
#145
On February 06 2013 08:17 Shiragaku wrote:
I actually like Zizek's simple definition of future totalitarianism better. It will not be Orwell's 1984, it will not be Huxley's Brave New World, simply, it will be like China's and Singapore's form of capitalism aka East Asian Capitalism. Naomi Klein also talked about it quite it bit on Democracy Now! as well.


I really need to read first hand material from Zizek, because Arendt and Lefort are interesting from an historical and philosophical pov, but gosh, it's quite dated.
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 05 2013 23:24 GMT
#146
Yeah, stuff from the 50s is starting to seem really dated, although Arendt is a beautiful soul who is always worth reading, even if she's trying to solve some different problems than those facing us today. I would recommend Zizek's first book, "The Sublime Object of Ideology," and also "The Plague of Fantasies" as introductions. He's so much fun! I just received "Did Someone Say Totalitarianism?" today, so I can't comment on its quality yet, although that might turn out to be more directly relevant to the discussion here
shikata ga nai
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
February 05 2013 23:26 GMT
#147
I think the main issue is that liberals think of the conservatives as the "evil empire" type of government. Especially after Bush. It's to the point that they can't even bother to see how much more "evil empire" shit is happening under Obama then it ever did in Bush. And it gets zero publicity.

So my thoughts is definitely yes, it will become a bigger "big brother" government, and it will happen right in front of our eyes (as it is now with Obama).
Chance favors the prepared mind.
TheFrankOne
Profile Joined December 2010
United States667 Posts
February 05 2013 23:30 GMT
#148
Like what sort of "evil empire" stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
February 05 2013 23:43 GMT
#149
On February 06 2013 08:24 sam!zdat wrote:
Yeah, stuff from the 50s is starting to seem really dated, although Arendt is a beautiful soul who is always worth reading, even if she's trying to solve some different problems than those facing us today. I would recommend Zizek's first book, "The Sublime Object of Ideology," and also "The Plague of Fantasies" as introductions. He's so much fun! I just received "Did Someone Say Totalitarianism?" today, so I can't comment on its quality yet, although that might turn out to be more directly relevant to the discussion here


i fall in love with arendt when I read this in the introduction of the antisemitism: I'll try to deal with this issue with zeal of the political analyst and the rigor of the historian.
When you're studying both these matters <3
Zest fanboy.
StateOfDelusion
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
18 Posts
February 05 2013 23:45 GMT
#150
On February 06 2013 08:26 Pufftrees wrote:
I think the main issue is that liberals think of the conservatives as the "evil empire" type of government. Especially after Bush. It's to the point that they can't even bother to see how much more "evil empire" shit is happening under Obama then it ever did in Bush. And it gets zero publicity.

So my thoughts is definitely yes, it will become a bigger "big brother" government, and it will happen right in front of our eyes (as it is now with Obama).

Yeah, it is a depressing truth that the average person cares more about their political "team" winning than about actual principles or policies.
Seldentar
Profile Joined May 2011
United States888 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-06 00:01:05
February 05 2013 23:57 GMT
#151
On February 06 2013 04:36 Gaga wrote:


you are already there...


“Inverted totalitarianism unlike classical totalitarianism does not revolve around a demagogue or charismatic leader, it finds expression in the anonymity of the corporate state. It purports to cherish democracy, patriotism and the constitution while manipulating internal levers to subvert and thwart democratic process.”

Sounds like the current state of America to me. Thanks for posting that video.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
February 05 2013 23:58 GMT
#152
On February 06 2013 08:45 StateOfDelusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 08:26 Pufftrees wrote:
I think the main issue is that liberals think of the conservatives as the "evil empire" type of government. Especially after Bush. It's to the point that they can't even bother to see how much more "evil empire" shit is happening under Obama then it ever did in Bush. And it gets zero publicity.

So my thoughts is definitely yes, it will become a bigger "big brother" government, and it will happen right in front of our eyes (as it is now with Obama).

Yeah, it is a depressing truth that the average person cares more about their political "team" winning than about actual principles or policies.


At which point we're not really much better than the Byzantines with their Blues and Greens.
shikata ga nai
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
February 06 2013 00:00 GMT
#153
On February 06 2013 08:26 Pufftrees wrote:
I think the main issue is that liberals think of the conservatives as the "evil empire" type of government. Especially after Bush. It's to the point that they can't even bother to see how much more "evil empire" shit is happening under Obama then it ever did in Bush. And it gets zero publicity.

So my thoughts is definitely yes, it will become a bigger "big brother" government, and it will happen right in front of our eyes (as it is now with Obama).

Welcome to the media. The things Bush never got a free pass on, Obama does (Preaches against the Patriot Act, quietly extends the majority of its provisions. Guantanamo Bay suddenly dropped out of the news. Etc). As long as it isn't a Republican doing it. Republicans stand for most of what Democrats do, but a little less of the same. That's why we talk about the conservative wing of the Republican party (as opposed to RINO's primarily, as well as the "screw the social legislation" crowd) and the liberal wing of the Democratic party (though most of the conservative conservative Democrats left from the McGovern to Mondale era, the modern use of the term being more the centrist leaning Democrats.)

I dislike the trend of execute orders (Immigration), recess appointments, and governing by state agency instead of elected representatives. That trend, I believe, ends in a system more directly resembling totalitarianism. You stuff the bureaucracy and the courts with your appointed agents, so that whatever parties control Congress, you control the majority of the state's power.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
darthfoley
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States8004 Posts
February 06 2013 00:00 GMT
#154
Dude the second ammendment is fucking pointless if the US gov ever got serious about an overthrow. 2 M1 Carbines and a handgun isn't going to stop a fucking tank lol

I do not believe we will ever become a totalitarian state, but things like the Patriot Act and other retarded bills make it seem somewhat plausible in the distant future.
watch the wall collide with my fist, mostly over problems that i know i should fix
Slaughter
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States20255 Posts
February 06 2013 00:17 GMT
#155
There will always come a time when the citizens step back and say "no more" it can be peaceful or it can be violent but it always happens at some point in a countries history (usually more then once) as the balance between government being big and small fluctuates. At the moment most Americans are ok overall but of course they have their grievances. Will the US become a state like North Korea or some of the regimes we have seen in the past? No way.

So in a sense the OP is sensationalist and overblown with some truths to it.

IF the US does go in that direction it will be more like Brave New World where the populace is distracted enough by BS and pop culture than 1984 rule by force.
Never Knows Best.
sCnDiamond
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany340 Posts
February 06 2013 01:21 GMT
#156
On February 06 2013 09:00 darthfoley wrote:
I do not believe we will ever become a totalitarian state, but things like the Patriot Act and other retarded bills make it seem somewhat plausible in the distant future.

Take a look at what they've done to the NSA whistleblowers and the "Wikileaks-tainted" and what has been done to them, you'll realize it's not in the somewhat distant future, but already happening.
formerly spinnaker.
Narobz
Profile Joined September 2012
United States20 Posts
February 06 2013 01:27 GMT
#157
Something fishy is happening, can't pin point it yet, but here is a quote about Nazi Germany as it happened.
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.
- Martin Niemöller
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 06 2013 01:28 GMT
#158
It's ok, I'll speak for you dude.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
aksfjh
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4853 Posts
February 06 2013 01:31 GMT
#159
On February 06 2013 10:27 Narobz wrote:
Something fishy is happening, can't pin point it yet, but here is a quote about Nazi Germany as it happened.
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the socialists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.
- Martin Niemöller

Let me know when they come for ANY group...
archonOOid
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1983 Posts
February 06 2013 01:34 GMT
#160
What is happening today? There is a sense from every point of view that the world is going in the wrong direction. The economy, the environment and in the political sphere. I think it started in the year 2000 with the y2k bug followed by 9/11 and from there on out it's all going downhill.
I'm Quotable (IQ)
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko276
LamboSC2 213
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24732
Calm 5990
Rain 1977
Bisu 1278
FanTaSy 992
Horang2 509
Jaedong 490
Rush 349
BeSt 316
Soma 252
[ Show more ]
Stork 223
Zeus 199
Mini 177
Light 115
Larva 110
Free 108
Snow 93
ZerO 90
Mong 88
Pusan 80
Barracks 77
Mind 73
910 69
Killer 46
Hyun 41
Sea.KH 38
ToSsGirL 36
NaDa 27
Shinee 26
Bale 24
Sexy 24
Hm[arnc] 20
Noble 15
sorry 15
Aegong 10
Terrorterran 10
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7899
Counter-Strike
fl0m2299
olofmeister966
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King88
Other Games
gofns30481
singsing1849
B2W.Neo629
dupreeh401
crisheroes268
ZerO(Twitch)3
hiko0
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2658
• Nemesis2100
Other Games
• WagamamaTV164
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 54m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 54m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.