• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:02
CEST 08:02
KST 15:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202614Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8908 users

Is the USA heading towards "Big Brother" Govt? - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 Next All
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
February 05 2013 17:51 GMT
#81
On February 06 2013 02:33 sc4k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 01:41 Barrin wrote:
On February 05 2013 23:18 PassiveAce wrote:
People who make threads like these have never lived in countries that can actually be described as totalitarian, and if they had, they wouldnt be making threads like this.

Some countries are going in that direction, and when that happens a lot of people really really want to deny it.

Trust me, people who make these kinds of threads don't feel comfortable doing it, but mentioning so can hurt their credibility for those in denial (distinctly counter-productive).

You're right, it's not totalitarian yet... so should we just shut up until it is? no offense but fuck what you just said


You are just going so over the top. In fact this entire thread is full of people who are going over the top. Some stuff in the US is a bit draconic but a lot of it comes down to the Bush era and the reaction to the threat of global terrorism. Which is understandable...and you are not on a slope to a totalitarian government...you really aren't.

I mean come on, England is so much more restrictive than your country...so so so much closer than your country to 'totalitarianism' in terms of the metrics you use. We are the leaders of CCTV everywhere. With the exception of the anti-terrorism laws, where the USA is insane (but we didn't have 9/11).

But still, both our countries on the scale are like:

Anarchy-------------------------USA---UK----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Totalitarian

When the other end is occupied by countries that actually are close to or at totalitarianism (Cuba, China, Iran etc)


this is true. there's a reason why V for Vendetta takes place in England, and why Robocop takes place in the states. tv dont lie son!
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
February 05 2013 17:51 GMT
#82
On February 06 2013 02:42 Stratos_speAr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:28 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 01:33 Barrin wrote:
I know the South are unfortunately going to be the last states to legalize it (lots of religious communities down here)... Florida in particular, where I live (REPRESENT~).

But you know what, the South had something to say about this "big brother" govt. and the more I learn about it the more I realize where my loyalties lie.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Slavery is one of the most detestable things humans are capable of.. but that is not what this flag is about.

My favorite politician explains it as well as I could:
+ Show Spoiler +


Let me be very clear: FUCK YOU Big Brother. Power and freedom to the states and the people. That's what I care about.

Legalize it.

What a joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, especially when it comes to popular symbology and the actuality of this cultish love for state governments that Ron Paul neophytes seem to oh so enjoy. You may think that flag means something positive, but many, many people do not share that perspective. Just know who else waves that flag in pride. Furthermore, what have state governments done to impress you so? Is it the gobbling up of federal dollars only to cut their own education budgets, the general handling of money like children, or is it the publishing of state state history books that gloss over Andersonville? Is it the elimination of the teaching of evolution from science classrooms, the partisan seat swapping in the state senate and house in order to further cut public service budgets or the wonderful gerrymandering taking place around the country in predominantly Red states? I guess there's lots to pick from.

The moment popular libertarianism realizes what makes Ron Paul a fucking idiot and Jon Huntsman a reasonable man is the moment that libertarianism actually stands a shot at having a positive impact on this country. In the meantime, go ahead and worship the pork barrel double dealer racist from the good city of Galveston, I'm sure that'll show big brother. If you can actually watch that piece of trash on covering up notions of racism with some Civil War romance novel, then you are already too far gone.

Oh yeah, as a fan of marijuana legalization, I'd like to hereby declare that a vast majority of potheads like myself are not bigoted racists with a poor sense of history like Barrin.


Some truth in this post. I don't get what's so great about state governments over federal government. If anything, states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh fuck just throw the entire south in there) show us that state governments can be absolutely atrocious. If anything, the federal government would be far better at running those states than their own state legislatures, and Congress is practically useless at the moment.


I really think you should include California in that list. That state's a mess, arguably worse than much of "the South."

I'd prefer state governments over one federal government simply on the basis of letting the states mess up so that they may learn from their mistakes on their own. Simply entrusting the power to one large government at the national level would be too easily tyrannized by the majority if you ask me. Would rather have more direct, community control of my local government.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
jdsowa
Profile Joined March 2011
405 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 17:54:45
February 05 2013 17:53 GMT
#83
With technological advances comes increasing automation which would presumably lead to a decreasing number of low level employment opportunities. The government will be responsible for caring for a larger and larger portion of society as this century goes on. I see that as an inevitability, but that's purely a welfare burden.

The 20th Century Big Brother paranoia stemmed from a fear that the government would take control of society to combat the erosion of morality and an increase in crime. Well, the problem with applying that to contemporary times is that morality has long since died, and crime has generally been on a downward trend since the massive flare up due to the Great Society's destruction of the black community.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 17:54 GMT
#84
On February 06 2013 02:51 cLAN.Anax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:42 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:28 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 01:33 Barrin wrote:
I know the South are unfortunately going to be the last states to legalize it (lots of religious communities down here)... Florida in particular, where I live (REPRESENT~).

But you know what, the South had something to say about this "big brother" govt. and the more I learn about it the more I realize where my loyalties lie.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Slavery is one of the most detestable things humans are capable of.. but that is not what this flag is about.

My favorite politician explains it as well as I could:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC68vTQwP8


Let me be very clear: FUCK YOU Big Brother. Power and freedom to the states and the people. That's what I care about.

Legalize it.

What a joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, especially when it comes to popular symbology and the actuality of this cultish love for state governments that Ron Paul neophytes seem to oh so enjoy. You may think that flag means something positive, but many, many people do not share that perspective. Just know who else waves that flag in pride. Furthermore, what have state governments done to impress you so? Is it the gobbling up of federal dollars only to cut their own education budgets, the general handling of money like children, or is it the publishing of state state history books that gloss over Andersonville? Is it the elimination of the teaching of evolution from science classrooms, the partisan seat swapping in the state senate and house in order to further cut public service budgets or the wonderful gerrymandering taking place around the country in predominantly Red states? I guess there's lots to pick from.

The moment popular libertarianism realizes what makes Ron Paul a fucking idiot and Jon Huntsman a reasonable man is the moment that libertarianism actually stands a shot at having a positive impact on this country. In the meantime, go ahead and worship the pork barrel double dealer racist from the good city of Galveston, I'm sure that'll show big brother. If you can actually watch that piece of trash on covering up notions of racism with some Civil War romance novel, then you are already too far gone.

Oh yeah, as a fan of marijuana legalization, I'd like to hereby declare that a vast majority of potheads like myself are not bigoted racists with a poor sense of history like Barrin.


Some truth in this post. I don't get what's so great about state governments over federal government. If anything, states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh fuck just throw the entire south in there) show us that state governments can be absolutely atrocious. If anything, the federal government would be far better at running those states than their own state legislatures, and Congress is practically useless at the moment.


I really think you should include California in that list. That state's a mess, arguably worse than much of "the South."

I'd prefer state governments over one federal government simply on the basis of letting the states mess up so that they may learn from their mistakes on their own. Simply entrusting the power to one large government at the national level would be too easily tyrannized by the majority if you ask me. Would rather have more direct, community control of my local government.

So when the states mess up at the cost of the mobility and quality of life of minorities and the poor, then what? Well at least its at the state level, amirite? The point is that state governments have and currently are showing exactly how they'd operate in the event of a lessening of the structure of the union; that is, cut public services, actively shape education to match an agenda, and play around in the state congress like children for votes.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Stratos_speAr
Profile Joined May 2009
United States6959 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:08:50
February 05 2013 17:56 GMT
#85
On February 06 2013 02:51 cLAN.Anax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:42 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:28 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 01:33 Barrin wrote:
I know the South are unfortunately going to be the last states to legalize it (lots of religious communities down here)... Florida in particular, where I live (REPRESENT~).

But you know what, the South had something to say about this "big brother" govt. and the more I learn about it the more I realize where my loyalties lie.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Slavery is one of the most detestable things humans are capable of.. but that is not what this flag is about.

My favorite politician explains it as well as I could:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC68vTQwP8


Let me be very clear: FUCK YOU Big Brother. Power and freedom to the states and the people. That's what I care about.

Legalize it.

What a joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, especially when it comes to popular symbology and the actuality of this cultish love for state governments that Ron Paul neophytes seem to oh so enjoy. You may think that flag means something positive, but many, many people do not share that perspective. Just know who else waves that flag in pride. Furthermore, what have state governments done to impress you so? Is it the gobbling up of federal dollars only to cut their own education budgets, the general handling of money like children, or is it the publishing of state state history books that gloss over Andersonville? Is it the elimination of the teaching of evolution from science classrooms, the partisan seat swapping in the state senate and house in order to further cut public service budgets or the wonderful gerrymandering taking place around the country in predominantly Red states? I guess there's lots to pick from.

The moment popular libertarianism realizes what makes Ron Paul a fucking idiot and Jon Huntsman a reasonable man is the moment that libertarianism actually stands a shot at having a positive impact on this country. In the meantime, go ahead and worship the pork barrel double dealer racist from the good city of Galveston, I'm sure that'll show big brother. If you can actually watch that piece of trash on covering up notions of racism with some Civil War romance novel, then you are already too far gone.

Oh yeah, as a fan of marijuana legalization, I'd like to hereby declare that a vast majority of potheads like myself are not bigoted racists with a poor sense of history like Barrin.


Some truth in this post. I don't get what's so great about state governments over federal government. If anything, states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh fuck just throw the entire south in there) show us that state governments can be absolutely atrocious. If anything, the federal government would be far better at running those states than their own state legislatures, and Congress is practically useless at the moment.


I really think you should include California in that list. That state's a mess, arguably worse than much of "the South."

I'd prefer state governments over one federal government simply on the basis of letting the states mess up so that they may learn from their mistakes on their own. Simply entrusting the power to one large government at the national level would be too easily tyrannized by the majority if you ask me. Would rather have more direct, community control of my local government.


There is far, far more tyranny by the majority in individual southern states (see the plethora of pro-Christian and anti-liberal laws out there in the south) than done by the federal government. Furthermore, de-centralization doesn't magically protect you from tyranny of the majority; that's (partially) what the Bill of Rights does. Finally, no one is saying that we should give all of the power to the federal government, but it's long past time to stop looking at the federal government as the boogey-man and state legislatures as mystical forces for good. They aren't.

Oh, and letting states mess up doesn't just let them "learn from their mistakes". It comes at a huge cost, usually paid by the poor, non-white, and non-Christians in these southern states. Furthermore, it inevitably saps more federal dollars and resources that initially come from well-off and well-managed states from the Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and Northeast.
A sound mind in a sound body, is a short, but full description of a happy state in this World: he that has these two, has little more to wish for; and he that wants either of them, will be little the better for anything else.
Jisall
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2054 Posts
February 05 2013 18:06 GMT
#86
The U.S. will never become a totalitarian state. Checks and balances insure it. The closest we have gotten to a king/totalitarian government is FDR during WW2. Our only 4 term president, who after him we capped the term limit at two. When FDR tried to stack the supreme court in order to get his way, checks and balances were there to stop him.

The rise in the seeming control of government might just be the illusion created by this information age we are in. We are giving out more and more information online, and the government can monitor the internet for security purposes. The right to privacy was never in the bill or rights or the constitution (thats france), however recently an ethical debate has arose about it.

3 wings of government, independent and each power hungry makes certain that the government will never become totalitarian. Conspiracy theories will be conspiracy theories, it will never come into fruition tho.

I'm shocked that as of now Seems likely is at 93, way more then Ha! yeah right at 40. People need to calm down. The information age has presented us with challenges towards keeping a balanced government, however we will figure them out.
Monk: Because being a badass is more fun then playing a dude wearing a scarf.. ... Ite fuck it, Witch Doctor cuz I like killing stuff in a timely mannor.
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:14:20
February 05 2013 18:11 GMT
#87
If the U.S. becomes a totalitarian state, it will have George Orwell's face everything with his quotes warning us against totalitarianism.

Also,

“We are approaching a new authoritarian society. It will not be the old style fascism. It will be like Terry Gillian’s Brazil. Society that will be openly hedonistic and half crazy. Italy’s Berusconi came pretty close to this in my opinion.” –Slavoj Zizek

This makes more sense in my opinion given how in 1984, you were expected to pledge loyalty to the state and show it while in modern society, it seems more apathetic.
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
February 05 2013 18:14 GMT
#88
On February 06 2013 02:54 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:51 cLAN.Anax wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:28 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 01:33 Barrin wrote:
I know the South are unfortunately going to be the last states to legalize it (lots of religious communities down here)... Florida in particular, where I live (REPRESENT~).

But you know what, the South had something to say about this "big brother" govt. and the more I learn about it the more I realize where my loyalties lie.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Slavery is one of the most detestable things humans are capable of.. but that is not what this flag is about.

My favorite politician explains it as well as I could:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC68vTQwP8


Let me be very clear: FUCK YOU Big Brother. Power and freedom to the states and the people. That's what I care about.

Legalize it.

What a joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, especially when it comes to popular symbology and the actuality of this cultish love for state governments that Ron Paul neophytes seem to oh so enjoy. You may think that flag means something positive, but many, many people do not share that perspective. Just know who else waves that flag in pride. Furthermore, what have state governments done to impress you so? Is it the gobbling up of federal dollars only to cut their own education budgets, the general handling of money like children, or is it the publishing of state state history books that gloss over Andersonville? Is it the elimination of the teaching of evolution from science classrooms, the partisan seat swapping in the state senate and house in order to further cut public service budgets or the wonderful gerrymandering taking place around the country in predominantly Red states? I guess there's lots to pick from.

The moment popular libertarianism realizes what makes Ron Paul a fucking idiot and Jon Huntsman a reasonable man is the moment that libertarianism actually stands a shot at having a positive impact on this country. In the meantime, go ahead and worship the pork barrel double dealer racist from the good city of Galveston, I'm sure that'll show big brother. If you can actually watch that piece of trash on covering up notions of racism with some Civil War romance novel, then you are already too far gone.

Oh yeah, as a fan of marijuana legalization, I'd like to hereby declare that a vast majority of potheads like myself are not bigoted racists with a poor sense of history like Barrin.


Some truth in this post. I don't get what's so great about state governments over federal government. If anything, states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh fuck just throw the entire south in there) show us that state governments can be absolutely atrocious. If anything, the federal government would be far better at running those states than their own state legislatures, and Congress is practically useless at the moment.


I really think you should include California in that list. That state's a mess, arguably worse than much of "the South."

I'd prefer state governments over one federal government simply on the basis of letting the states mess up so that they may learn from their mistakes on their own. Simply entrusting the power to one large government at the national level would be too easily tyrannized by the majority if you ask me. Would rather have more direct, community control of my local government.

So when the states mess up at the cost of the mobility and quality of life of minorities and the poor, then what? Well at least its at the state level, amirite? The point is that state governments have and currently are showing exactly how they'd operate in the event of a lessening of the structure of the union; that is, cut public services, actively shape education to match an agenda, and play around in the state congress like children for votes.


Point to those states and say, "See? They messed up big time. Here's why. We shouldn't be like that." Other states will let their bad policies fail and learn from the mistakes. Improvement is not ideal; sometimes you have to let others implement a bad policy in a different state in order to see why it would be terrible for the state/country. That said, we should be wise to not repeat the failures that history exposes to us.

On February 06 2013 02:56 Stratos_speAr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 02:51 cLAN.Anax wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:42 Stratos_speAr wrote:
On February 06 2013 02:28 farvacola wrote:
On February 06 2013 01:33 Barrin wrote:
I know the South are unfortunately going to be the last states to legalize it (lots of religious communities down here)... Florida in particular, where I live (REPRESENT~).

But you know what, the South had something to say about this "big brother" govt. and the more I learn about it the more I realize where my loyalties lie.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Slavery is one of the most detestable things humans are capable of.. but that is not what this flag is about.

My favorite politician explains it as well as I could:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEC68vTQwP8


Let me be very clear: FUCK YOU Big Brother. Power and freedom to the states and the people. That's what I care about.

Legalize it.

What a joke. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, especially when it comes to popular symbology and the actuality of this cultish love for state governments that Ron Paul neophytes seem to oh so enjoy. You may think that flag means something positive, but many, many people do not share that perspective. Just know who else waves that flag in pride. Furthermore, what have state governments done to impress you so? Is it the gobbling up of federal dollars only to cut their own education budgets, the general handling of money like children, or is it the publishing of state state history books that gloss over Andersonville? Is it the elimination of the teaching of evolution from science classrooms, the partisan seat swapping in the state senate and house in order to further cut public service budgets or the wonderful gerrymandering taking place around the country in predominantly Red states? I guess there's lots to pick from.

The moment popular libertarianism realizes what makes Ron Paul a fucking idiot and Jon Huntsman a reasonable man is the moment that libertarianism actually stands a shot at having a positive impact on this country. In the meantime, go ahead and worship the pork barrel double dealer racist from the good city of Galveston, I'm sure that'll show big brother. If you can actually watch that piece of trash on covering up notions of racism with some Civil War romance novel, then you are already too far gone.

Oh yeah, as a fan of marijuana legalization, I'd like to hereby declare that a vast majority of potheads like myself are not bigoted racists with a poor sense of history like Barrin.


Some truth in this post. I don't get what's so great about state governments over federal government. If anything, states like Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi (oh fuck just throw the entire south in there) show us that state governments can be absolutely atrocious. If anything, the federal government would be far better at running those states than their own state legislatures, and Congress is practically useless at the moment.


I really think you should include California in that list. That state's a mess, arguably worse than much of "the South."

I'd prefer state governments over one federal government simply on the basis of letting the states mess up so that they may learn from their mistakes on their own. Simply entrusting the power to one large government at the national level would be too easily tyrannized by the majority if you ask me. Would rather have more direct, community control of my local government.


There is far, far more tyranny by the majority in individual southern states (see the plethora of pro-Christian and anti-liberal laws out there in the south) than done by the federal government. Furthermore, de-centralization doesn't magically protect you from tyranny of the majority; that's (partially) what the Bill of Rights does. Finally, no one is saying that we should give all of the power to the federal government, but it's long past time to stop looking at the federal government as the boogey-man and state legislatures as mystical forces for good. They aren't.

Oh, and letting states mess up doesn't just let them "learn from their mistakes". It comes at a huge cost, usually paid by the poor, non-white, and non-Christians in these southern states. Furthermore, it inevitably saps more federal dollars and resources that initially come from well-off and well-managed states from the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, and Northeast.


I would rather have a majority tyranny relegated to the state level than drag the whole country into it. I would also rather not see states sap so many federal dollars in the first place.

State governments are far from perfect, but I still see them as preferable to one centralized government that thinks it better knows what's "better" for me. Citizens have a proportionally stronger voice at the local level, so that they can more strongly discuss the issues that more closely matter to them; that's why I espouse stronger state and city governments as opposed to a larger federal one.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 05 2013 18:20 GMT
#89
On February 06 2013 03:06 Jisall wrote:
The U.S. will never become a totalitarian state. Checks and balances insure it. The closest we have gotten to a king/totalitarian government is FDR during WW2. Our only 4 term president, who after him we capped the term limit at two. When FDR tried to stack the supreme court in order to get his way, checks and balances were there to stop him.


What does a king have to do with totalitarianism? Also (since I am pretty sure many people here do not understand this), totalitarianism is not the opposite to democracy. Historically, totalitarianism is due to political extremism.

I chose to quote your post (rather than the many others) because you mentioned a king. Ironically in the case of the USA, having a king would reduce the chance of talking pigs taking over. The thing that could potentially push the USA towards political extremism is the distrust that people have for politicians from the other party, which means that roughly half the population distrusts the head of state and are therefore pushed towards the far right (when there is a democrat president) or the left (when there is a republican president).
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:23:31
February 05 2013 18:20 GMT
#90
--- Nuked ---
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
February 05 2013 18:30 GMT
#91
Talking from experience, those who tend to be so confident in what they say is the truth and realizing it will wake you up are often the ones who tend to be the most brainwashed. This is pretty universal for all ideologies.

I think a better way to approach the notion of truth is being damn sure that the red pill you swallowed was not a blue bill dyed red.
shell
Profile Joined October 2010
Portugal2722 Posts
February 05 2013 18:32 GMT
#92
I feel like it should the the other way around, americans should take more attention and control over their government that seems to act by and for big companys, control their finance world and military actions. USA seem to be under the influence of big lobbys instead of the will and interest of the people.

But i do agree with gun control, it's not freedom to have heavy machine guns with more then 10000 bullets in your home. It's stupidity and asking for trouble.

I'm "ok" with people owning guns, specially in a country that is so "into" guns and where they take such a importance in it's culture, but to have whatever war weapons you want and thousands off bullets it's stupid and dangerous.

TLDR: gun control OK! Instead of more government control there should be more people controling the state, big enterprise and wallstreet
BENFICA || Besties: idra, Stephano, Nestea, Jaedong, Serral, Jinro, Scarlett || Zerg <3
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
February 05 2013 18:33 GMT
#93
--- Nuked ---
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 18:36 GMT
#94
On February 06 2013 03:20 Barrin wrote:
I'm not a bigoted racist you little shit, I literally called slavery one of the most detestable things we can do. You have no idea how much effort I've put into denying racism with people I know in my culture, or of my success, but this isn't about that so what the fuck?

---

FYI the state I've lived my whole life is one of the relatively few that actually pays more than it gets. But of course I understand you... if Big Brother wasn't so big there wouldn't be so much money to gobble up!

Notice that I said the states AND the people... and when it comes to the people there un-sarcastically is a lot to to pick from which I did my best to summarize here: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=389345

If the people don't like the way it is in a certain state then they can just move to a new state no big deal. The problem is when Big Brother messes around with too much within every single state. I personally think most of these problems would be well on their way to being solved if it weren't for the overabundant of resources spent on the military-industrial complex.

P.S. And no I do not claim to have a "great sense of history", but I do claim that I try very hard to learn every day.

If I have no idea how much effort you've put into denying racism with people you know in your culture, than it is entirely due to you putting a flag before the ideas that you want it to represent. If you were truly so concerned with the image of your culture, you would not so slavishly adhere to some outdated relic that meaningfully only stands for racism and historical denialism, when in turn you could be, you know, defending actual people instead of flags or ideologies.

Also, I am not a little shit, I am a rather large man.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
February 05 2013 18:40 GMT
#95
On February 06 2013 03:33 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:30 Shiragaku wrote:
Talking from experience, those who tend to be so confident in what they say is the truth and realizing it will wake you up are often the ones who tend to be the most brainwashed. This is pretty universal for all ideologies.

I think a better way to approach the notion of truth is being damn sure that the red pill you swallowed was not a blue bill dyed red.

And how does one approach that?

In your case, I would question the notion of what is means to be a cult member by watching other cult members. Since I assume you are anti-communist, listen to Maoists and Stalinists. A good start would be MaoistRebelNews.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 18:48:47
February 05 2013 18:43 GMT
#96
--- Nuked ---
Shiragaku
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong4308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 19:15:48
February 05 2013 18:53 GMT
#97
On February 06 2013 03:43 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:40 Shiragaku wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:33 Barrin wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:30 Shiragaku wrote:
Talking from experience, those who tend to be so confident in what they say is the truth and realizing it will wake you up are often the ones who tend to be the most brainwashed. This is pretty universal for all ideologies.

I think a better way to approach the notion of truth is being damn sure that the red pill you swallowed was not a blue bill dyed red.

And how does one approach that?

In your case, I would question the notion of what is means to be a cult member by watching other cult members. Since I assume you are anti-communist, listen to Maoists and Stalinists. A good start would be MaoistRebelNews.

I have questioned what it means to be a cultist for years, and I have indeed started listening to such people.

---

If I were you I would question the notion of whether or not what symbols someone chooses to express their thoughts completely reflects their actual thoughts.

I was hoping for more of a general approach btw.

I try, but self-examination is one of the hardest things to do in the world.

The method I try to do is what Avital Ronnel said which is generally, when people claim to know, such as calling someone a fascist, communist, or the Axis of Evil, you are ready to kill them. Basically, be careful with "knowing."

Also, I am aware of the potential comments about this post.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
February 05 2013 18:54 GMT
#98
On February 06 2013 03:43 Barrin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2013 03:40 Shiragaku wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:33 Barrin wrote:
On February 06 2013 03:30 Shiragaku wrote:
Talking from experience, those who tend to be so confident in what they say is the truth and realizing it will wake you up are often the ones who tend to be the most brainwashed. This is pretty universal for all ideologies.

I think a better way to approach the notion of truth is being damn sure that the red pill you swallowed was not a blue bill dyed red.

And how does one approach that?

In your case, I would question the notion of what is means to be a cult member by watching other cult members. Since I assume you are anti-communist, listen to Maoists and Stalinists. A good start would be MaoistRebelNews.

I have questioned what it means to be a cultist for years, and I have indeed started listening to such people.

---

If I were you I would question the notion of whether or not what symbols someone chooses to express their thoughts completely reflects their actual thoughts. Indeed if you were to take your own advice I think you'd think twice before "assuming" I was anything - it seems like you who claims to know so much tbh.

I was hoping for more of a general approach btw. That's how Socrates would've wanted it.

It is not intellectually expedient to ask "second guess" questions before taking a first guess, and what else is someone to do when faced with a giant Confederate flag image, a Ron Paul video entitled "The South was Right", and a bunch of "FUCK BIG BROTHER" quips that do not amount to constructive criticism? You entered into the discussion with symbols and ideology, and now we are to actively second guess the very things you put forward why? If your perspective is more about people and culture, then the onus is on you to make that clear to other posters, and you probably ought to focus on using language instead of symbols if you want to avoid misunderstandings. THAT is what Socrates would have wanted.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-05 19:32:47
February 05 2013 19:31 GMT
#99
--- Nuked ---
Mefano
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden190 Posts
February 05 2013 19:34 GMT
#100
lol the government should represent the people not be a different entity. In a democracy this shouldn't be a problem.
Yo
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 139
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3970
Sharp 428
Mong 83
Dewaltoss 76
sorry 17
Noble 10
Icarus 8
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King179
Other Games
summit1g8362
WinterStarcraft603
C9.Mang0281
Sick157
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 26
• StrangeGG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2277
League of Legends
• Lourlo1070
• Stunt360
Other Games
• Shiphtur603
Upcoming Events
OSC
16h 58m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 3h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.