• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:19
CEST 02:19
KST 09:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8137 users

Gay Scout Resolution - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 Next All
PassionFruit
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
294 Posts
June 07 2012 02:43 GMT
#21
They're a private organization. So my opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant. I respect people's rights to organize for whatever purpose, even if it is discriminatory or opposed to my own values. I think the BSA should allow it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the BSA should do it. It's all up to the BSA members and their own beliefs whether or not to follow through. Not me. Not you. Not Obama. Just them.
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 04:08:29
June 07 2012 02:48 GMT
#22
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).
Edit:
Also, a lot of the scouts i have talked too just apply dadt resumes on it, as if its not confirmed bsa can't do anything about it, and some of the troops i have talked to just ignore it, as long as council officials don't find out, its fine. The highest ranks of adult leadership of boyscouting tend to be highly conservative, but people lower on the chain have been dancing around them for awhile. The troop i was in had a openly gay scout, and we didn't kick him out, as long as he kept of councils radar, we were fine with it.
Not all boyscouts are like the senior adult leaders, and neither are all of the younger adult leaders.

All of my arguments are based on my troop and council which does not quit follow official bsa policy, so my argument is for the troop and council i was a part of, not scouting on a national level. If you are not from my troop and council, ignore my arguments, we have never really been as bigoted as we were supposed to be.
I am not going to put this in all of my posts, but I am hoping that by putting it in the first one i can make this clear and still get to bed on time.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
June 07 2012 02:48 GMT
#23
I've found boyscouts to be a bunch of bullies, and I predict that they'll veto the measure.
1Eris1
Profile Joined September 2010
United States5797 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 02:51:11
June 07 2012 02:50 GMT
#24
On June 07 2012 11:43 PassionFruit wrote:
They're a private organization. So my opinion on the matter is pretty irrelevant. I respect people's rights to organize for whatever purpose, even if it is discriminatory or opposed to my own values. I think the BSA should allow it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the BSA should do it. It's all up to the BSA members and their own beliefs whether or not to follow through. Not me. Not you. Not Obama. Just them.


This is my opinion too, but they do recieve federal funding so I have to be opposed to the ban.

It's gays or the pay, BSA.
Known Aliases: Tyragon, Valeric ~MSL Forever, SKT is truly the Superior KT!
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
June 07 2012 02:51 GMT
#25
On June 07 2012 11:48 Jaaaaasper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).


Made me chuckle.

Also, you're incorrect, as you yourself pointed out (and was previously cited earlier). If you refuse to believe in a higher power, then obviously you can't receive certain ranks. And that's totally their decision to make, but obviously it's discriminatory against certain atheists and agnostics.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
iamahydralisk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States813 Posts
June 07 2012 02:51 GMT
#26
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Oh you. Just because someone is gay doesn't make them feminine at all. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to tell most gay men from straight men from the way they act because most gay men aren't flamboyant at all.
"well if youre looking for long term, go safe, if you expect it to end either way, go risky. wow. just like sc2" - friend of mine when I asked him which girl to pick
b0mBerMan
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan289 Posts
June 07 2012 02:51 GMT
#27
On June 07 2012 11:36 ThePiedPiper wrote:
As long as no raping occurs, im fine with anything. Second that stuff occurs, kick them out

this is really your reply?
ObliviousNA
Profile Joined March 2011
United States535 Posts
June 07 2012 02:53 GMT
#28
Hmm. Does anyone have more concrete stats about federal funding? School's holding fundraisers hardly counts... If they receive any federal funding I'm all for repealing this asinine policy. If they don't... well, I will just continue to not buy boy-scout cookies :D
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but no one knows why. In our lab, theory and practice are combined: nothing works and no one knows why.
Leeto
Profile Joined August 2007
United States1320 Posts
June 07 2012 02:54 GMT
#29
I wonder why they can't just go with a form of DADT policy. Someone's sexual orientation shouldn't be a problem unless they're really flagrant about it.
logikly
Profile Joined February 2009
United States329 Posts
June 07 2012 02:54 GMT
#30
I dont know about this one. I have to think about it. its not a religious event to keep them out by their right of their beliefs. hmmm
함은정,류화영,남규리
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 02:58:35
June 07 2012 02:55 GMT
#31
On June 07 2012 11:42 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.


No homosexuals, atheists/ agnostics/ and no girls:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies

BSA for the win.

EDIT: Any identity can be a Girl Scout- even boys.


Not everything you read on the internet is true. They do allow girls. That much I know for a fact, I've met a girl who was in a division of Boy Scouts before.

edit: And I am a Boy Scout myself.
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:01:23
June 07 2012 02:57 GMT
#32
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.

EDIT: but I will say, the local leaders are the PRIMARY authority for joining. I personally heard my scoutmasters support the idea of gays in the BSA; there is no strict rule keeping done.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
IrOnKaL
Profile Joined June 2011
United States340 Posts
June 07 2012 02:57 GMT
#33
At least each group can decide on it's own. Meaning most will probably still not allow it.
Archas
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6531 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:09:55
June 07 2012 02:59 GMT
#34
On June 07 2012 11:36 ThePiedPiper wrote:
As long as no raping occurs, im fine with anything. Second that stuff occurs, kick them out

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Homosexuality is nothing at all like malicious pedophilia, so why the hell are you making a connection between the two? And phrasing it in a way that implies rape will eventually occur if a homosexual is inducted as a Boy Scout official?! I'm sorry, but your thought process is simply ludicrous.

As for the controversy itself, I personally think it is immoral to bar homosexuals (or athiests, or Muslims, or whatever minority) access to any sort of institution under such flimsy grounds as "it's tradition". However, as is mentioned earlier in the thread, the BSA is a private organization, so they have the power to do so. Even so, I don't like it, and I dearly wish that this practice of theirs is abolished so that anyone who wishes to join (within reason, of course) is permitted to.

On June 07 2012 11:53 ObliviousNA wrote:
Hmm. Does anyone have more concrete stats about federal funding? School's holding fundraisers hardly counts... If they receive any federal funding I'm all for repealing this asinine policy. If they don't... well, I will just continue to not buy boy-scout cookies :D

Fortunately, you have a delicious alternative in Girl Scout cookies. Thin Mints... mmmm...
The room is ripe with the stench of bitches!
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:03:17
June 07 2012 02:59 GMT
#35
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

What nonsense lol I was a boyscout for half a year and I've never claimed or pretended to be any religion. Not once was my religion considered important or was I instructed to lie about it. I'm aware the official policy is against it. I'm also aware the official law is to arrest anyone that smokes marijuana but it's not like that is universally enforced either

The thing is, organizations like the Boy Scouts are lead locally while adhering to national standards. What that ends up meaning is there is a lot of room for Don't ask Don't tell kind of stuff. Scout leaders, as long as they don't parade around their dissent, can get away with allowing homosexuals, atheists, communists and what have you to join.

However, it is a repugnant policy that walked hand in hand with the racist and bigoted mentalities of the last century. It's about time we put to rest such blind hatred (or worse, indifference)
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
June 07 2012 02:59 GMT
#36
On June 07 2012 11:53 ObliviousNA wrote:
Hmm. Does anyone have more concrete stats about federal funding? School's holding fundraisers hardly counts... If they receive any federal funding I'm all for repealing this asinine policy. If they don't... well, I will just continue to not buy boy-scout cookies :D


They mainly sell popcorn, lol.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:03:19
June 07 2012 03:00 GMT
#37
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.


Then stop the Federal funding!

On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...


Masculine past time? I don't know where you are, but where I am (I'm not saying I necessarily approve, although I do unconsciously view it sometimes as such) located it's usually laughed at by peers as being something childish. It's usually heavily ridiculed by females as well as simply dorky.

Kinda like video games are. Not everyone thinks that way, but in general, the stereotype of the nerd who plays video games exist, regardless of whether it's true. Same goes to say for boy scouts. I sort of have that perception (it's an extremely childish/dorky activity), although I try to realize it's a stereotype, and since I don't know much about it, it in fact could be potentially badass.
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
June 07 2012 03:00 GMT
#38
On June 07 2012 11:51 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:48 Jaaaaasper wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).


Made me chuckle.

Also, you're incorrect, as you yourself pointed out (and was previously cited earlier). If you refuse to believe in a higher power, then obviously you can't receive certain ranks. And that's totally their decision to make, but obviously it's discriminatory against certain atheists and agnostics.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics


I know several people who have gotten by on the technicality that i mentioned , that as long as we believe in some higher power, which my local council explains as beyond mans control, you can get any rank you earn. Officially you are correct, but most scouts and leaders prove of those technicalities, and also i was commenting on the fact that he said that they did not allow atheists, which is completely incorrect.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
SpunXtainz
Profile Joined June 2012
Australia13 Posts
June 07 2012 03:02 GMT
#39
On June 07 2012 11:51 iamahydralisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Oh you. Just because someone is gay doesn't make them feminine at all. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to tell most gay men from straight men from the way they act because most gay men aren't flamboyant at all.


I think it is a misjudgement that most gay men can't me told apart from straight ones. Almost all of the gay people I know are quite feminine.
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:03:33
June 07 2012 03:03 GMT
#40
On June 07 2012 12:00 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.


Then stop the Federal funding!


eh, I could see the case for that. The thing is, they don't TEACH anti gay things, for instance. Such things are not often (if ever) mentioned. I think they do WAY more good than "harm". I think it's over doing it to take their funding.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings100
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O156
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 171
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 957
ZZZero.O 156
Bale 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
League of Legends
Doublelift5143
JimRising 743
Counter-Strike
minikerr18
Other Games
summit1g10484
FrodaN2558
C9.Mang0285
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1202
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP98
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 41m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
10h 41m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 41m
Replay Cast
22h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 10h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.