• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:41
CEST 05:41
KST 12:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7971 users

Gay Scout Resolution - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 Next All
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:04:53
June 07 2012 03:03 GMT
#41
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Have you seen Boy Scouts lately? In my troop there were only like 2 people I would consider masculine manly men, the rest of us were just nerds who happened to be into camping and most other scouts I've come across have been the same.
Holytornados
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1022 Posts
June 07 2012 03:03 GMT
#42
Gays have been discriminated against by scouts for a while now. This is a step in the right direction. I'm proud to say that I was a scout now-- One that is open and accepting of everyone.
CLG/Liquid ~~ youtube.com/reddedgaming
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#43
On June 07 2012 12:03 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 12:00 FabledIntegral wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.


Then stop the Federal funding!


eh, I could see the case for that. The thing is, they don't TEACH anti gay things, for instance. Such things are not often (if ever) mentioned. I think they do WAY more good than "harm". I think it's over doing it to take their funding.


Doesn't matter - they still discriminate heavily. They do a lot of good... for nonhomosexuals and nonatheists .
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#44
On June 07 2012 12:02 SpunXtainz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:51 iamahydralisk wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Oh you. Just because someone is gay doesn't make them feminine at all. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to tell most gay men from straight men from the way they act because most gay men aren't flamboyant at all.


I think it is a misjudgement that most gay men can't me told apart from straight ones. Almost all of the gay people I know are quite feminine.

How many gays have you meet just out of curiosity, i know some feminine gays, and some who go for the super buff gym rat look, and some who are in between, like most people. Its just that the feminine ones are the easiest to pick out of a crowd that leads to this line of thinking.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Thenerf
Profile Joined April 2011
United States258 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#45
Remember that it is a CHRISTAIN organization. The conerstone of any religion is defining good and bad and including/excluding things.

No I wouldn't exlude gay people, but I'm not christain so my opinion doesn't matter.
Every atom in your body was forged in a star. Quit being a pussy.
Holytornados
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1022 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#46
On June 07 2012 12:03 Falcynn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Have you seen Boy Scouts lately? In my troop there were only like 2 people I would consider masculine manly men, the rest of us were just nerds who happened to be into camping.


Not all gay people are feminine. That's a sweeping generalization to say that all gays are feminine.
CLG/Liquid ~~ youtube.com/reddedgaming
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#47
On June 07 2012 12:00 Jaaaaasper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:51 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:48 Jaaaaasper wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).


Made me chuckle.

Also, you're incorrect, as you yourself pointed out (and was previously cited earlier). If you refuse to believe in a higher power, then obviously you can't receive certain ranks. And that's totally their decision to make, but obviously it's discriminatory against certain atheists and agnostics.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics


I know several people who have gotten by on the technicality that i mentioned , that as long as we believe in some higher power, which my local council explains as beyond mans control, you can get any rank you earn. Officially you are correct, but most scouts and leaders prove of those technicalities, and also i was commenting on the fact that he said that they did not allow atheists, which is completely incorrect.


So if an atheist believes in psychics he can be a Boy Scout?

Or do you mean if he accepts physics, which has nothing to do with a higher spiritual power? Regardless, I get the technicality and I think that it's really silly... why even have the discriminatory law if you're going to loophole it with literally everything? I mean, I'm thankful they do... but they might as well get rid of it then. (I pray to Joe Pesci )
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
June 07 2012 03:04 GMT
#48
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.

EDIT: but I will say, the local leaders are the PRIMARY authority for joining. I personally heard my scoutmasters support the idea of gays in the BSA; there is no strict rule keeping done.


Then stop taking money from gay citizens in the form of federal funding.

That's the most important point, the next most important is it's not okay to promote the ideas of discrimination as okay because it's private or based on tradition. There are lots of awful, awful things we don't do anymore that we did when the boyscouts were founded, discriminating against gays is one of them.
Remember Violet.
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
June 07 2012 03:05 GMT
#49
The thing is Introvert, fostering a policy of exclusion based on differences in sexual or religious choices does exactly that. It breeds racism, bigotry and unease at fellow human beings. It's the same proud tradition that used to hang negros and burn young women for witchcraft.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
June 07 2012 03:05 GMT
#50
On June 07 2012 12:00 Jaaaaasper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:51 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:48 Jaaaaasper wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).


Made me chuckle.

Also, you're incorrect, as you yourself pointed out (and was previously cited earlier). If you refuse to believe in a higher power, then obviously you can't receive certain ranks. And that's totally their decision to make, but obviously it's discriminatory against certain atheists and agnostics.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics


I know several people who have gotten by on the technicality that i mentioned , that as long as we believe in some higher power, which my local council explains as beyond mans control, you can get any rank you earn. Officially you are correct, but most scouts and leaders prove of those technicalities, and also i was commenting on the fact that he said that they did not allow atheists, which is completely incorrect.


Well, we're talking about official policies, so the fact that some troops or whatever can get by with ignoring the official policies is pretty irrelevant.

Eh, might as well:
Kerotan
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
England2111 Posts
June 07 2012 03:06 GMT
#51
On June 07 2012 12:02 SpunXtainz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:51 iamahydralisk wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Oh you. Just because someone is gay doesn't make them feminine at all. The truth is, you wouldn't be able to tell most gay men from straight men from the way they act because most gay men aren't flamboyant at all.


I think it is a misjudgement that most gay men can't me told apart from straight ones. Almost all of the gay people I know are quite feminine.

I can link you to LOTS of pictures of masculine gay men if you would like me to. But something tells me you wouldn't like that.
In addition.
Femininity doesn't equal a bad leader, masculine men do not have the monopoly on leadership skills I'm afraid.
Nerdette // External revolution - Internal revolution // Fabulous // I raise my hands to heaven of curiosity // I don't know what to ask for // What has it got for me? // Kerribear
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
June 07 2012 03:07 GMT
#52
On June 07 2012 12:03 Falcynn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:42 SpunXtainz wrote:
I think it is a dangerous step.

Apart from some of the other points raised here, scouts is supposed to be a masculine pasttime, where men prepare themselves for life. Allowing a feminine person to lead them...

Have you seen Boy Scouts lately? In my troop there were only like 2 people I would consider masculine manly men, the rest of us were just nerds who happened to be into camping.

That was my entire troop, and we won almost all of the awards given at every single camporee we attended.

for those that don't know, a camporee is when most or all of the scout troops in a district descend on a unsuspecting area and do a lot of somewhat scouting related activities, like try to pick up local girls and play with fire and sharp objects.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:11:49
June 07 2012 03:09 GMT
#53
On June 07 2012 12:04 Thenerf wrote:
Remember that it is a CHRISTAIN organization.


I feel like I've heard this before (I've even read that it was funded by Christian organizations at the start, and at other times in the past) but I don't recall seeing proof that the BSA was actually a Christian organization per se (as opposed to merely religious).

Source?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Selkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States530 Posts
June 07 2012 03:11 GMT
#54
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.



To address your points:

It's only some religions that have issues with gay people. Most (Roman) Catholics I know aren't bothered by it, and are even in favor of gay marriage. Upholding the ban "for religious reasons" is just as strong of an argument as taking down the ban "for religious reasons". Religion argues both ways, so that's not really a good point.

As for tradition- well, sure. That is an argument. Not a great one, but an argument.

I honestly don't see in what way the BSA is more than a group that does camping, and teaching of minor skills. (The badges- canoing, firestarting, etc etc etc.) How can they claim to be raising people to make ethical and moral choices when they themselves are extremely discriminatory in who they allow? How can they hold the moral high ground when they simply don't care what happens when scouts are bullying one another?

Eagle scouts I haven't heard nearly as many bad things about, and anyone who does manage to achieve that, I have a wary respect for. The rest? Not so much.

The girl scouts sell me delicious cookies. The boyscouts don't do anything for the community. (Again: Eagle scout's community projects are an exception. ONLY the Eagle scouts are doing it- not the boy scouts)

Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:21:52
June 07 2012 03:11 GMT
#55
On June 07 2012 12:04 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 12:00 Jaaaaasper wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:51 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:48 Jaaaaasper wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:38 Sofestafont wrote:
Also don't allow atheists I believe.

Incorrect, i am openly agnostic, which matters in my area, and i was allowed in. My atheist friend made eagle scout. The only rule boy scouts has aginest atheists is that you must believe in a higher power of some kind to receive the rank of eagle scout, the highest rank in boy scouts. All you have to do is say you believe in a higher power. (i.e. you can say yes, and think of the laws of psychics or whatever) You just say yes and move on, they don't interrogate you about it (or should not at least).


Made me chuckle.

Also, you're incorrect, as you yourself pointed out (and was previously cited earlier). If you refuse to believe in a higher power, then obviously you can't receive certain ranks. And that's totally their decision to make, but obviously it's discriminatory against certain atheists and agnostics.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies#Position_on_atheists_and_agnostics


I know several people who have gotten by on the technicality that i mentioned , that as long as we believe in some higher power, which my local council explains as beyond mans control, you can get any rank you earn. Officially you are correct, but most scouts and leaders prove of those technicalities, and also i was commenting on the fact that he said that they did not allow atheists, which is completely incorrect.


So if an atheist believes in psychics he can be a Boy Scout?

Or do you mean if he accepts physics, which has nothing to do with a higher spiritual power? Regardless, I get the technicality and I think that it's really silly... why even have the discriminatory law if you're going to loophole it with literally everything? I mean, I'm thankful they do... but they might as well get rid of it then. (I pray to Joe Pesci )


they say nothing of a higher spiritual power, only a higher power, and that only applies to becoming an eagle scout, not being a boyscout. You can be a atheist boyscout, and there are a lot of them, but unless you play the loop hole, you can't be a eagle scout, which i agree is bullcrap. The reason we have said loop hole and have not gotten rid of said stupid rule is there are a fair number of extreme conservatives who have been scouters for their entire lives, and thus drag us back into the 20th and even 19th century, not because the majority of boy scouts agree with them.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
June 07 2012 03:11 GMT
#56
On June 07 2012 12:04 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 12:03 Introvert wrote:
On June 07 2012 12:00 FabledIntegral wrote:
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.



Then stop the Federal funding!


eh, I could see the case for that. The thing is, they don't TEACH anti gay things, for instance. Such things are not often (if ever) mentioned. I think they do WAY more good than "harm". I think it's over doing it to take their funding.


Doesn't matter - they still discriminate heavily. They do a lot of good... for nonhomosexuals and nonatheists .


I would argue for everyone. They are NOT openly discriminating. It's just part of the rules. They are using the money for the good of everyone, not just "nonhomosexuals" and "nonatheists".

On June 07 2012 12:04 TwoToneTerran wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.

EDIT: but I will say, the local leaders are the PRIMARY authority for joining. I personally heard my scoutmasters support the idea of gays in the BSA; there is no strict rule keeping done.


Then stop taking money from gay citizens in the form of federal funding.

That's the most important point, the next most important is it's not okay to promote the ideas of discrimination as okay because it's private or based on tradition. There are lots of awful, awful things we don't do anymore that we did when the boyscouts were founded, discriminating against gays is one of them.


They aren't "promoting" anything. They have an an official policy, one which MANY of my leaders disagreed with personally. This is not some atrocity. The bad thing would be pressuring them into a position that comprises the organizations ideals. I think it's also worth pointing it is almost entirely a volunteer based operation. They don't have employees running around monitoring homosexual join attempts.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
DoubleReed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4130 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:16:06
June 07 2012 03:14 GMT
#57
On June 07 2012 12:09 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 12:04 Thenerf wrote:
Remember that it is a CHRISTAIN organization.


I feel like I've heard this before (I've even read that it was funded by Christian organizations at the start, and at other times in the past) but I don't recall seeing proof that the BSA was actually a Christian organization per se (as opposed to merely religious).

Source?


The bullshit video talks about how it was sort of taken over by the Mormons later on, but I don't think it's officially Christian. It is officially bigoted though.

It's officially a Patriotic organization, so it gets federal funding.

Federal funding should not be issued to discriminatory organizations. They lose that right to discriminate when they receive public funding. Either give up the public funding, or stop discriminating.
Jaaaaasper
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States10225 Posts
June 07 2012 03:15 GMT
#58
On June 07 2012 12:11 Selkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.



To address your points:

The girl scouts sell me delicious cookies. The boyscouts don't do anything for the community. (Again: Eagle scout's community projects are an exception. ONLY the Eagle scouts are doing it- not the boy scouts)


Eagle projects are done planned by the eagle scout, and the entire troop pitches in for the labor and fundraising ( at least in my old troop) And every single troop that i have ever come across does at least one community service day per year, and that is mandatory for all the scouts to attend. I never made eagle scout, but i have over 300 logged hours of community service though boy scouts alone, and though i have more than most, every single rank advancement in boy scouting has required community service hours.
Hey do you want to hear a joke? Chinese production value. | I thought he had a aegis- Ayesee | When did 7ing mad last have a good game, 2012?
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
June 07 2012 03:19 GMT
#59
This is the most obvious question in history. Tradition is great and all, unless it's random, exclusionary, and unnecessary. When the only argument left for tradition is; "because it's tradition", then it's a terrible tradition.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-07 03:23:59
June 07 2012 03:20 GMT
#60
On June 07 2012 12:11 Selkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2012 11:57 Introvert wrote:
I'm an Eagle Scout. I generally like tradition, and given that the Boy Scouts is (was) a religious group, I hope they uphold it. The same thing with the ban on atheists. No reason to pressure a group to change their ways (based on the fundamentals of it's founding) for the "time" or else they would also have to allow atheists. The BSA as a whole is more than just a group of people who go on camping trips. This is what separates us from the girls scouts, as well. if someone wants these things, they can start their own organization.



To address your points:

It's only some religions that have issues with gay people. Most (Roman) Catholics I know aren't bothered by it, and are even in favor of gay marriage. Upholding the ban "for religious reasons" is just as strong of an argument as taking down the ban "for religious reasons". Religion argues both ways, so that's not really a good point.

As for tradition- well, sure. That is an argument. Not a great one, but an argument.

I honestly don't see in what way the BSA is more than a group that does camping, and teaching of minor skills. (The badges- canoing, firestarting, etc etc etc.) How can they claim to be raising people to make ethical and moral choices when they themselves are extremely discriminatory in who they allow? How can they hold the moral high ground when they simply don't care what happens when scouts are bullying one another?

Eagle scouts I haven't heard nearly as many bad things about, and anyone who does manage to achieve that, I have a wary respect for. The rest? Not so much.

The girl scouts sell me delicious cookies. The boyscouts don't do anything for the community. (Again: Eagle scout's community projects are an exception. ONLY the Eagle scouts are doing it- not the boy scouts)



In anything of this nature, you are going to have dropouts. That doesn't put a bad mark on the BSA, just those who quit.

you are right, many religious people don't, but the religious ideals at it's founding were this way. I suppose if the vast majority of leaders consider it the right step, then... well I don't know. it wouldn't really be the Scouts anymore. I mean the pledge mentions God, but I suppose they could allow atheists in. It is just one of those things. it's hard to argue this without getting into the bigger topic of gay rights in general (forcing Churches to hold gay weddings, photographers can't refuse to do a gay wedding, etc). They can chose, and I don't see why they NEED to do this if it is in opposition to what it was founded on. just because that was over a 100 years ago makes no difference. My arguments sound bad because I'm trying to keep this narrow.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 23 24 25 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 256
ProTech125
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 174
Bale 25
Terrorterran 19
Noble 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm226
League of Legends
JimRising 818
Counter-Strike
taco 349
Other Games
summit1g13474
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1278
BasetradeTV169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream55
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo669
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 19m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
7h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 19m
Replay Cast
19h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 7h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.