• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:31
CEST 02:31
KST 09:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8543 users

Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Page 367

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 365 366 367 368 369 503 Next
This is a sensitive and complex issue, please do not make comments without first reading the facts, which are cataloged in the OP.

If you make an uninformed post, or one that isn't relevant to the discussion, you will be moderated. If in doubt, don't post.
LeroyJenkem
Profile Joined January 2012
36 Posts
July 11 2013 21:10 GMT
#7321
On July 12 2013 06:07 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.



Where can I read up on these "statistics"?
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
July 11 2013 21:12 GMT
#7322
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.

Again, I think that there are situations that warrant being armed. Like being in a dangerous neighborhood on a regular basis (not a gated community). But that is significantly higher than the simple non-zero possibility yall seem to think qualifies as rational.

I don't have a gun and doubt that I would buy one just because I think they are dangerous however I still see owning one and keeping it on you as a good safety measure provided you are able to keep your head straight.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:13 GMT
#7323
On July 12 2013 06:07 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.


My decision as to whether I will arm myself when I go out in public (subject to CC laws) and whether I choose to maintain weapons at home to defend against home invasion are not based on statistics of how often home invasions occur vs. the likelihood of accidents that occur across the population. My decision is made based on whether I want to protect myself against home invasion and the risk I assume in my personal circumstances, such as do I have children, do I have a safe place to keep the weapon, etc. I don't care about probabilities across the population.
FallDownMarigold
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3710 Posts
July 11 2013 21:14 GMT
#7324
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 21:14 GMT
#7325
On July 12 2013 06:07 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.

If you are refering to the statistics that gun control folks use to say that defending your house with a fire arm is more likely to cause injury, those have been debunked a long time ago. One of the methods they used allowed for any injury to count and also did not count any event when the gun was not fired.

Finally, I know I am not trained, but I also know there have been a series of break in for the last 2 years in my area. There is no way to get out of the house from our bedroom without injury. I would rather have the event be in my control than just hope they go away.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:16 GMT
#7326
On July 12 2013 06:09 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:06 Kaitlin wrote:
I'm not sure a grenade could be considered a self-defense weapon.


Well neither are nukes but that didn't stop the US and Russia.

It was supposed to be an outlier to showcase a ridiculous image in order for it to be compared to other objects that seem "normal"

Of course most people (today) would find a hand grenade as not an okay object for self defense. But somewhere between having a cellphone and having a hand grenade is where the argument of self defense weapons want to be.


Yeah, that's a totally intelligent post. /sarcasm

I said self-defense. Nukes are a "deterrent".
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:17:15
July 11 2013 21:16 GMT
#7327
On July 12 2013 06:07 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.


Myth: You are more likely to injure or kill yourself with a firearm intended for self defense

Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault or murder if you own & defend yourself with a gun

Source: The Value of Civilian Handgun Possession as a Deterrent to Crime or Defense Against Crime, Don B. Kates, 1991 American Journal of Criminal Law

Fact: 11% of police shootings kill an innocent bystander, only 2% of shootings by civilians kill an innocent person

Source: Shall Issue: the new wave of concealed handgun permit laws, Clayton Cramer, David Kopel, Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994

This is seriously teetering on the edge of a gun control debate. Don't we have a thread for that?
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
July 11 2013 21:16 GMT
#7328
On July 12 2013 06:14 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns

That is a terrifying point of view.
Is it just the US law that you say is perfect?
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 11 2013 21:17 GMT
#7329
On July 12 2013 06:16 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:09 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:06 Kaitlin wrote:
I'm not sure a grenade could be considered a self-defense weapon.


Well neither are nukes but that didn't stop the US and Russia.

It was supposed to be an outlier to showcase a ridiculous image in order for it to be compared to other objects that seem "normal"

Of course most people (today) would find a hand grenade as not an okay object for self defense. But somewhere between having a cellphone and having a hand grenade is where the argument of self defense weapons want to be.


Yeah, that's a totally intelligent post. /sarcasm

I said self-defense. Nukes are a "deterrent".


Since you didn't read what I wrote, let me repeat it.

"It was supposed to be an outlier to showcase a ridiculous image"
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:18 GMT
#7330
On July 12 2013 06:16 ComaDose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:14 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns

That is a terrifying point of view.
Is it just the US law that you say is perfect?

he is being snarky.
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
July 11 2013 21:18 GMT
#7331
On July 12 2013 06:16 ComaDose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:14 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns

That is a terrifying point of view.
Is it just the US law that you say is perfect?

The point is that that is the law... in a legal case.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:21:33
July 11 2013 21:19 GMT
#7332
Basing personal protection decisions based on "statistics" would lead one to take off their seatbelt as soon as they are 2 miles from their home, since statistics are that a significant majority of traffic accidents occur within 2 miles of your home.

#totallylogicalthinking

edit: On second thought, we are so far off track from the Zimmerman case, I'm going to refrain from continuing these arguments.
Dosey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4505 Posts
July 11 2013 21:22 GMT
#7333
On July 12 2013 06:19 Kaitlin wrote:
Basing personal protection decisions based on "statistics" would lead one to take off their seatbelt as soon as they are 2 miles from their home, since statistics are that a significant majority of traffic accidents occur within 2 miles of your home.

#totallylogicalthinking

edit: On second thought, we are so far off track from the Zimmerman case, I'm going to refrain from continuing these arguments.

Well... we''re no more off track than the prosecutions closing arguments were.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 21:23 GMT
#7334
On July 12 2013 06:16 Fruscainte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:07 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.


Myth: You are more likely to injure or kill yourself with a firearm intended for self defense

Fact: You are far more likely to survive a violent assault or murder if you own & defend yourself with a gun

Source: The Value of Civilian Handgun Possession as a Deterrent to Crime or Defense Against Crime, Don B. Kates, 1991 American Journal of Criminal Law

Fact: 11% of police shootings kill an innocent bystander, only 2% of shootings by civilians kill an innocent person

Source: Shall Issue: the new wave of concealed handgun permit laws, Clayton Cramer, David Kopel, Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994

This is seriously teetering on the edge of a gun control debate. Don't we have a thread for that?

To be fair to the police, those stats have always been like that. They are involved with a lot more shootings as a whole and they are never clear cut.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
July 11 2013 21:23 GMT
#7335
On July 12 2013 06:18 dAPhREAk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:16 ComaDose wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:14 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns

That is a terrifying point of view.
Is it just the US law that you say is perfect?

he is being snarky.
oh good. i was scared.
On July 12 2013 06:18 LegalLord wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:16 ComaDose wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:14 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Safety and other precautions? Doesn't fuckin matter, it's legal to own and carry guns. Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached to carrying guns

That is a terrifying point of view.
Is it just the US law that you say is perfect?

The point is that that is the law... in a legal case.
No i believe the written point was "Because it's legal it obviously follows that there aren't any legitimate concerns attached[...]"
I didn't mean to insinuate the law should bend for this case or anything. But I hope we can all agree it shouldnt be imune to scrutiny due to being a law.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 11 2013 21:24 GMT
#7336
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:27 GMT
#7337
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 21:28 GMT
#7338
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 11 2013 21:29 GMT
#7339
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.


I'm not talking about the case (as I said, not this case) nor am I talking about America (as I said, "or the US as a whole)

I find its always the same people bringing up gun control things. It's interesting, gives TL a certain flavor.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 21:29 GMT
#7340
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.
#2throwed
Prev 1 365 366 367 368 369 503 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings59
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 138
SpeCial 121
CosmosSc2 45
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1618
Rain 1593
Artosis 651
910 60
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm127
League of Legends
Doublelift3405
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox250
Other Games
summit1g8873
shahzam544
JimRising 441
C9.Mang0340
PiGStarcraft288
Maynarde131
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick898
BasetradeTV163
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP70
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie795
• Shiphtur191
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 29m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 29m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 29m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.