• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:12
CEST 09:12
KST 16:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7172 users

Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Page 366

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 364 365 366 367 368 503 Next
This is a sensitive and complex issue, please do not make comments without first reading the facts, which are cataloged in the OP.

If you make an uninformed post, or one that isn't relevant to the discussion, you will be moderated. If in doubt, don't post.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 20:59 GMT
#7301
On July 12 2013 05:57 Rhino85 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:01 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Umm...yes wearing a seat belt means you are anticipating a car crash.

No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.


I live in Dallas as well and recently got my CHL. I carry everyday but that's because the sales territory I work is all of southeast Dallas. I sell windows to apartment buildings. After you measure as many windows that have bullet holes as I have you might change your mind about the need to protect yourself. How's that for anecdotal evidence?


It fits with mine just fine. Your expectation of violence is high enough that a weapon becomes a reasonable precaution. Again, you're an outlier.
#2throwed
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22638 Posts
July 11 2013 21:00 GMT
#7302
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

a knife is an ambiguous term. It could be a small knife for slicing an apple or a practical machette
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:02:54
July 11 2013 21:01 GMT
#7303
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.

Again, I think that there are situations that warrant being armed. Like being in a dangerous neighborhood on a regular basis (not a gated community). But that is significantly higher than the simple non-zero possibility yall seem to think qualifies as rational.
#2throwed
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:03:11
July 11 2013 21:01 GMT
#7304
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

No, I work at a place where we have reasonable people and no one is crazy. They also know that those sorts of policies don't do anything. I also have a letter opener at my desk that I could totally murder people with, but that doesn't matter.

What does this have to do with anything? Some people carry guns. One of my attornys carries a gun when he goes to site visits or home inspections, because there are some parts fo Boston that are messed up. He has never shot anyone, or pulled the gun.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22638 Posts
July 11 2013 21:03 GMT
#7305
On a different note. Assuming that Zimmerman is found Not Guilty is there any chance or even point in the prosecution appealing?
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:04 GMT
#7306
On July 12 2013 05:58 dAPhREAk wrote:
depo done. when did prosecutor's closing argument start?


It was supposed to be 1pm, but it was a bit late. Ended up about 1:45 or 2:00pm.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:04 GMT
#7307
On July 12 2013 06:03 Gorsameth wrote:
On a different note. Assuming that Zimmerman is found Not Guilty is there any chance or even point in the prosecution appealing?

on what basis?
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 11 2013 21:04 GMT
#7308
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.


If I walked around with a swiss army knife no one would bat an eyelash.

If I walked around with a grenade, people would be upset.

Some would say a grenade is too much while others would say a cell phone is not enough. Somewhere between too much protection and not enough protection is where the gun control argument and (specifically) concealed carry permits lie in.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:04 GMT
#7309
On July 12 2013 06:04 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:58 dAPhREAk wrote:
depo done. when did prosecutor's closing argument start?


It was supposed to be 1pm, but it was a bit late. Ended up about 1:45 or 2:00pm.

is it going on now? i am just getting a weird sound like someone is rewinding and then random tidbits of the closing arguments.
dotHead
Profile Joined October 2010
United States233 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:09:02
July 11 2013 21:05 GMT
#7310
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.

Again, I think that there are situations that warrant being armed. Like being in a dangerous neighborhood on a regular basis (not a gated community). But that is significantly higher than the simple non-zero possibility yall seem to think qualifies as rational.


A gated community, that has been robbed over and over. Hence him being upset about "them punks getting away" and him having called the cops almost 50 times previously.
Aint got time to bleed
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:06 GMT
#7311
No. It ended at least 1/2 hour ago. Resume at 8:30 tmrw with defense closing.
LeroyJenkem
Profile Joined January 2012
36 Posts
July 11 2013 21:06 GMT
#7312
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.


I think that most people with carry permits prefer to have their firearm on them at all times just in case something were to happen. Theres always a chance something could happen to you and your family and most people would rather be safe then sorry. Not that I think its a good idea to carry a firearm at all times but I can understand why most people would agree with the idea.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 21:06 GMT
#7313
On July 12 2013 06:04 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.


If I walked around with a swiss army knife no one would bat an eyelash.

If I walked around with a grenade, people would be upset.

Some would say a grenade is too much while others would say a cell phone is not enough. Somewhere between too much protection and not enough protection is where the gun control argument and (specifically) concealed carry permits lie in.


I'm not sure a grenade could be considered a self-defense weapon.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 21:07 GMT
#7314
On July 12 2013 06:01 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:57 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.

Must like the seat belt, you don't wear it for the times you don't crash. I have a shotgun at my house and shells near by for that reason. You don't prepare for the time people don't break in.


Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.
#2throwed
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:09:46
July 11 2013 21:07 GMT
#7315
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.

Again, I think that there are situations that warrant being armed. Like being in a dangerous neighborhood on a regular basis (not a gated community). But that is significantly higher than the simple non-zero possibility yall seem to think qualifies as rational.


Why does he need a reason to carry a firearm if:

1) He's perfectly within his Constitutional and Legal rights to do so

2) He has his concealed carry permit

It doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood he's in. He's allowed to carry a firearm, and apparently needed it in his "completely safe" gated community.

You don't know when something could happen. Some people like to be prepared to defend their or their families lives if the time calls, which it might when they are completely off their guard. If you don't feel that risk, you're within your rights not to carry a firearm but you don't have the right to go around saying "OH YOU SHOULDNT BE ABLE TO CARRY A PISTOL BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN A GATED COMMUNITY!"
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
July 11 2013 21:09 GMT
#7316
On July 12 2013 06:06 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:04 Thieving Magpie wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.


If I walked around with a swiss army knife no one would bat an eyelash.

If I walked around with a grenade, people would be upset.

Some would say a grenade is too much while others would say a cell phone is not enough. Somewhere between too much protection and not enough protection is where the gun control argument and (specifically) concealed carry permits lie in.


I'm not sure a grenade could be considered a self-defense weapon.


Well neither are nukes but that didn't stop the US and Russia.

It was supposed to be an outlier to showcase a ridiculous image in order for it to be compared to other objects that seem "normal"

Of course most people (today) would find a hand grenade as not an okay object for self defense. But somewhere between having a cellphone and having a hand grenade is where the argument of self defense weapons want to be.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
DeepElemBlues
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States5080 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:27:31
July 11 2013 21:09 GMT
#7317
On July 12 2013 06:01 Klondikebar wrote:
Ok so apparently for most of you a simple non-zero possibility of needing an object is grounds for carrying. I think yall are irrational and I think that's more likely to cause problems than solve them. But I'm clearly not in the same company so I'm gonna go back to just reading the thread now.

Again, I think that there are situations that warrant being armed. Like being in a dangerous neighborhood on a regular basis (not a gated community). But that is significantly higher than the simple non-zero possibility yall seem to think qualifies as rational.


So... facts be damned, your feelings > facts?

Ok one last post because I really don't like this analogy. Seatbelts aren't going to hurt you. Statistically you are more likely to harm yourself or someone you know with that shotgun than you are to prevent a home invasion. And before you go saying "I'm trained!" or "I'm not that dumb!" that's exactly what everyone thinks. In a normally distributed large sample size on a scale of 0-10, you're somewhere between 4-6.


Seatbelts can and do injure people including mortal injuries if they aren't put on properly. Just the way guns can and do injure people including mortal injuries if they are not used properly.

In 2010 ~600 people were killed in gun accidents and ~71,000 people injured; saying that you are statistically more likely to accidentally shoot yourself or someone else than defend your home is a delightful way to lie with statistics. I don't recall defending home invasions to be the only way guns are employed in self-defense against crime; an honest argument would acknowledge that it is unclear whether you are more likely statistically to accidentally shoot yourself or someone else with a gun than it would be you defending yourself with a gun from crime at any place or time.

How generous of you, with little if any facts, to bless us with averageness, whether a little bit below, a little bit above, right there in the middle. No doubt you are at least an 8.

In a country of 300 million guns that about 100 million of the population have regular access to daily and ~70,000+ accidents resulting from that access, and 300 million people total in the country, that's a chance of being accidentally shot in a given year at less than one-tenth of one percent. The percentages we're talking about here are so low that talking about which is more likely is kind of pointless.
no place i'd rather be than the satellite of love
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
July 11 2013 21:09 GMT
#7318
On July 12 2013 05:58 dAPhREAk wrote:
depo done. when did prosecutor's closing argument start?

it started abut 1:35 or so and ended around 4:15 or something. Defense starts their closing argument tommorrow morning at 8:30 I believe and then they give jury instructions and they are off to make a verdict.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
July 11 2013 21:10 GMT
#7319
I feel this has gotten completelly outside the actual topic and into gun control, which has a separate thread for a very good reason.
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
July 11 2013 21:10 GMT
#7320
I guess for society to function LAW == FACTS
but I dont think anyone has 100% confidence in the law.
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
Prev 1 364 365 366 367 368 503 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 155
Hyun 54
sorry 50
NotJumperer 47
Bale 37
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 10
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto177
League of Legends
JimRising 531
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g7697
Coldzera 720
ceh9446
WinterStarcraft401
C9.Mang0259
Sick132
olofmeister128
NeuroSwarm89
ViBE19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick592
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2289
League of Legends
• Rush1056
• Jankos546
• Stunt403
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 48m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3h 48m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
16h 48m
Patches Events
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.