• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:24
CEST 09:24
KST 16:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8559 users

Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Page 368

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 366 367 368 369 370 503 Next
This is a sensitive and complex issue, please do not make comments without first reading the facts, which are cataloged in the OP.

If you make an uninformed post, or one that isn't relevant to the discussion, you will be moderated. If in doubt, don't post.
SKC
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil18828 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:30:46
July 11 2013 21:29 GMT
#7341
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.

It's terrible. There is a reason why every time a thread about a shooting or something similar is created, quickly there is a need to put a mod note saying gun control debate should be taken to the gun control thread. It's a debate that will never end, composed of rehashed arguments from people that will never change their minds. It only serves to clutter the thread and should be avoided whenever possible.

As you said so yourself, you are not talking about the case. So you probally shouldn't be talking about it in a thread specifically about this case.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:32:22
July 11 2013 21:31 GMT
#7342
nm
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 21:32 GMT
#7343
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Tewks44
Profile Joined April 2011
United States2032 Posts
July 11 2013 21:32 GMT
#7344
On July 12 2013 05:34 LeroyJenkem wrote:
Does anyone else feel like theres a hidden agenda behind this entire event / trial? Its obvious Zimmerman was charged solely for political reasons and to appease a certain percentage of the public. I just feel like the outcome of this trial has been predetermined (Zimmerman gets acquitted). And once he does theres a high chance of a certain percentage of the public rioting / protesting to the point it turns violent. Maybe im just being paranoid but this whole ordeal just smells a little bit fishy to me.



No, unless you're implying that the government has a hidden agenda to incite people to riot and engage in violent protest. I don't see how that does them any good.
"that is our ethos; free content, starcraft content, websites that work occasionally" -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 21:32 GMT
#7345
On July 12 2013 06:31 dAPhREAk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

its a concealed gun permit. likely nobody even saw the gun. why does that make him an asshole?


For the exact reason Plansix mentioned.
#2throwed
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:35:15
July 11 2013 21:34 GMT
#7346
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
Dosey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4505 Posts
July 11 2013 21:34 GMT
#7347
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

Eh, I'm still of the mind that you never know when or why you will need it. It doesn't have to necessarily be about thinking you are an action figure. What if a rabid German Shepherd were to attack you on your way out of target? I'll bet you sure wished you utilized your concealed carry permit while you're laying in a hospital bed nearly mauled to death. Is it likely for that to happen? No, but it is possible.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:35 GMT
#7348
On July 12 2013 06:32 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:31 dAPhREAk wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

its a concealed gun permit. likely nobody even saw the gun. why does that make him an asshole?


For the exact reason Plansix mentioned.

i didnt delete it fast enough. i thought you were talking about him taking it to target, but that was someone else.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:37:50
July 11 2013 21:35 GMT
#7349
On July 12 2013 06:32 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.


At no point did I ever say that. In fact I repeatedly said there were plenty of times I thought it was perfectly reasonable to carry a firearm. Even carry one at all times. And I also think it should be completely legal for a licensed person to carry a firearm. You all repeatedly straw manned my argument and really just made it impossible for me to get my point across.

I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.
#2throwed
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:40:45
July 11 2013 21:39 GMT
#7350
On July 12 2013 06:34 Dosey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

Eh, I'm still of the mind that you never know when or why you will need it. It doesn't have to necessarily be about thinking you are an action figure. What if a rabid German Shepherd were to attack you on your way out of target? I'll bet you sure wished you utilized your concealed carry permit while you're laying in a hospital bed nearly mauled to death. Is it likely for that to happen? No, but it is possible.


Look it's also possible that aliens will abduct me. Positing situations with mere non-zero possibility doesn't contribute to any meaningful discussion. And it doesn't make you rational for preparing for those situations.

In Plansix's case where his neighborhood has had several breakins, the possibility is greater than simple non-zero so it might be rational for him to prepare for a break in. I would imagine that a trip to target or the grocery store in a nice neighborhood where you've never experienced violence before, does not rank anywhere close to that situation.
#2throwed
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
July 11 2013 21:40 GMT
#7351
On July 12 2013 06:35 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:32 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.


At no point did I ever say that. In fact I repeatedly said there were plenty of times I thought it was perfectly reasonable to carry a fire arm. Even carry one at all times. You all repeatedly straw manned my argument and really just made it impossible for me to get my point across.

I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.


Look, I agree that there are people who take guns with them all day because it makes them feel more powerful and it makes them feel like an action hero. I agree that some people are a bit irrational in their fear of being mugged on a day to day basis. I disagree with your notion that you're somehow only qualified to carry a firearm if you're in immediate danger of violence because of your place of living or have been a victim of violence before. You don't know when tragedy will strike.

I think one of the things that comes with a CCW is responsibility. Responsibility on your own part, some basic common fucking sense. If you're going out to buy some milk on a 5 minute errand in your upper class neighborhood I agree open or concealed carrying for the hell of it is kind of silly and dare I say a bit irresponsible. Keeping a gun in your glove compartment at all times isn't irresponsible. Taking your gun with you when you're going to be patrolling the streets all night for your neighborhood watch position isn't far too unreasonable. I think GZ is a bit of a tryhard but I don't think it's unreasonable.
PanzerKing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States483 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:42:42
July 11 2013 21:40 GMT
#7352
On July 12 2013 06:34 PassiveAce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.


What's the basis for this statement? I don't think that a public defender or assigned counsel is any worse than the average retained attorney. Sure if you want a Ron Kuby or Ben Brafman, or even a less-famous but well-reputed lawyer like Doug Rankin, you're going to be paying out the nose. But your average middle-of-the-road retained criminal defense attorney isn't necessarily any better than a public defender or assigned counsel in my experience.
http://tkrmx.blogspot.com/
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 21:42 GMT
#7353
On July 12 2013 06:40 Fruscainte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:35 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:32 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.


At no point did I ever say that. In fact I repeatedly said there were plenty of times I thought it was perfectly reasonable to carry a fire arm. Even carry one at all times. You all repeatedly straw manned my argument and really just made it impossible for me to get my point across.

I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.


Look, I agree that there are people who take guns with them all day because it makes them feel more powerful and it makes them feel like an action hero. I agree that some people are a bit irrational in their fear of being mugged on a day to day basis. I disagree with your notion that you're somehow only qualified to carry a firearm if you're in immediate danger of violence because of your place of living or have been a victim of violence before. You don't know when tragedy will strike.

I think one of the things that comes with a CCW is responsibility. Responsibility on your own part, some basic common fucking sense. If you're going out to buy some milk on a 5 minute errand in your upper class neighborhood I agree open or concealed carrying for the hell of it is kind of silly and dare I say a bit irresponsible. Keeping a gun in your glove compartment at all times isn't irresponsible. Taking your gun with you when you're going to be patrolling the streets all night for your neighborhood watch position isn't far too unreasonable. I think GZ is a bit of a tryhard but I don't think it's unreasonable.


I do not know where you get this notion but it is certainly not mine.
#2throwed
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:43 GMT
#7354
On July 12 2013 06:40 PanzerKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:34 PassiveAce wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.


What's the basis for this statement? I don't think that a public defender is any worse than the average retained attorney. Sure if you want a Ron Kuby or Ben Brafman, or even a less-famous but well-reputed lawyer like Doug Rankin, you're going to be paying out the nose. But your average middle-of-the-road retained criminal defense attorney isn't necessarily any better than a public defender in my experience.

there is no basis for the statement. just another idiot on the internet who wants to post shit based on watching too much Law & Order or The Wire.
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
July 11 2013 21:45 GMT
#7355
On July 12 2013 06:42 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:40 Fruscainte wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:35 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:32 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.


At no point did I ever say that. In fact I repeatedly said there were plenty of times I thought it was perfectly reasonable to carry a fire arm. Even carry one at all times. You all repeatedly straw manned my argument and really just made it impossible for me to get my point across.

I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.


Look, I agree that there are people who take guns with them all day because it makes them feel more powerful and it makes them feel like an action hero. I agree that some people are a bit irrational in their fear of being mugged on a day to day basis. I disagree with your notion that you're somehow only qualified to carry a firearm if you're in immediate danger of violence because of your place of living or have been a victim of violence before. You don't know when tragedy will strike.

I think one of the things that comes with a CCW is responsibility. Responsibility on your own part, some basic common fucking sense. If you're going out to buy some milk on a 5 minute errand in your upper class neighborhood I agree open or concealed carrying for the hell of it is kind of silly and dare I say a bit irresponsible. Keeping a gun in your glove compartment at all times isn't irresponsible. Taking your gun with you when you're going to be patrolling the streets all night for your neighborhood watch position isn't far too unreasonable. I think GZ is a bit of a tryhard but I don't think it's unreasonable.


I do not know where you get this notion but it is certainly not mine.


I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.

PanzerKing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States483 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:47:01
July 11 2013 21:46 GMT
#7356
On July 12 2013 06:43 dAPhREAk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:40 PanzerKing wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:34 PassiveAce wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.


What's the basis for this statement? I don't think that a public defender is any worse than the average retained attorney. Sure if you want a Ron Kuby or Ben Brafman, or even a less-famous but well-reputed lawyer like Doug Rankin, you're going to be paying out the nose. But your average middle-of-the-road retained criminal defense attorney isn't necessarily any better than a public defender in my experience.

there is no basis for the statement. just another idiot on the internet who wants to post shit based on watching too much Law & Order or The Wire.


It struck me as a funny statement because if someone believes that all public defenders are bad, that person presumably believes that any lawyer choosing public service over the private sector must be bad. Therefore, all prosecutors are also bad because they could be in private practice. Also, all judges are bad because they too could be in private practice. Obviously that can't be correct, so the statement's inaccuracy is apparent on its face.
http://tkrmx.blogspot.com/
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:51:46
July 11 2013 21:49 GMT
#7357
On July 12 2013 06:45 Fruscainte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:42 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:40 Fruscainte wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:35 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:32 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:29 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:28 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:27 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:24 Thieving Magpie wrote:
I think the tendency for this thread to shift towards gun control is enlightening. Not to this case, or the US as a whole, but on TL in general.


I'm not particularly enlightened. It's just that certain people seem to take issue with George Zimmerman's right to have been armed in this case, a right which even BDLR conceded in his closing, but yet people argue that it was wrong and should lead to his conviction. It's a demonstration of people's inability to understand the law as it applies to this case.

It is super annoying. I think GZ is an idiot for bringing his gun to Target..because, I think anyone who brings a gun to go get milk is just silly and thinks they are an action hero. However, I don't think it is reason for him to be guilty of anything.


I never said it made him guilty. I said it made him an asshole.

You implied a lot of stuff, including that he had some sort of guilty for carrying around the gun, or that anyone carrying a fire arm is a jerk and shouldn't do it unless they are going into a war zone.


At no point did I ever say that. In fact I repeatedly said there were plenty of times I thought it was perfectly reasonable to carry a fire arm. Even carry one at all times. You all repeatedly straw manned my argument and really just made it impossible for me to get my point across.

I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.


Look, I agree that there are people who take guns with them all day because it makes them feel more powerful and it makes them feel like an action hero. I agree that some people are a bit irrational in their fear of being mugged on a day to day basis. I disagree with your notion that you're somehow only qualified to carry a firearm if you're in immediate danger of violence because of your place of living or have been a victim of violence before. You don't know when tragedy will strike.

I think one of the things that comes with a CCW is responsibility. Responsibility on your own part, some basic common fucking sense. If you're going out to buy some milk on a 5 minute errand in your upper class neighborhood I agree open or concealed carrying for the hell of it is kind of silly and dare I say a bit irresponsible. Keeping a gun in your glove compartment at all times isn't irresponsible. Taking your gun with you when you're going to be patrolling the streets all night for your neighborhood watch position isn't far too unreasonable. I think GZ is a bit of a tryhard but I don't think it's unreasonable.


I do not know where you get this notion but it is certainly not mine.


Show nested quote +
I think that someone who thinks that a gun is a good accessory for their day to day activities in situations where they've never seen or been the victim of violence is irrational and, like you said, probably fancies themselves an action hero.



Yeah. That's very different than what you said.

1. Qualification to carry a firearm does not then immediately mean you are rational for deciding to carry one. Zimmerman was clearly qualified, but I do not think he was rational for thinking he needed a gun to go shopping at target.
2. You do not have to be the victim of violence in the past. I'm talking about violence in general. You don't have to be the guy who was shot at the grocery store. But has anyone been shot at your grocery store? Has someone even tried to rob it? has there been any criminal activity there that a firearm would deter or stop at all?
#2throwed
PassiveAce
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States18076 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 21:52:23
July 11 2013 21:49 GMT
#7358
On July 12 2013 06:40 PanzerKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:34 PassiveAce wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.


What's the basis for this statement? I don't think that a public defender or assigned counsel is any worse than the average retained attorney. Sure if you want a Ron Kuby or Ben Brafman, or even a less-famous but well-reputed lawyer like Doug Rankin, you're going to be paying out the nose. But your average middle-of-the-road retained criminal defense attorney isn't necessarily any better than a public defender or assigned counsel in my experience.

Public defenders are severely overworked and underpaid. Retaining your own attorney in criminal matters is much better then relying on state provided counsel.

If you were on trial for murder would you rely on whatever random public defender was chosen for you?
Call me Marge Simpson cuz I love you homie
scott31337
Profile Joined January 2013
United States2979 Posts
July 11 2013 21:53 GMT
#7359
Judge is allowing manslaughter verdict as well. I think they may find him guilty for that. No riots

THIS WAGON IS HITTING MAFIA FOR SURE BOYS!
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 21:54 GMT
#7360
On July 12 2013 06:49 PassiveAce wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 06:40 PanzerKing wrote:
On July 12 2013 06:34 PassiveAce wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:12 Blacktion wrote:
Is the state paying for GZs defense too?

LOL
no.
Public defenders are by and large atrocious, you can get one, but you dont want one.


What's the basis for this statement? I don't think that a public defender or assigned counsel is any worse than the average retained attorney. Sure if you want a Ron Kuby or Ben Brafman, or even a less-famous but well-reputed lawyer like Doug Rankin, you're going to be paying out the nose. But your average middle-of-the-road retained criminal defense attorney isn't necessarily any better than a public defender or assigned counsel in my experience.

Public defenders are severely overworked and underpaid. Retaining your own attorney in criminal matters is much better then relying on state provided counsel.

If you were on trial for murder would you rely on whatever random public defender was chosen for you?

unless someone can afford $300-400/hr, you are completely offbase saying that people should reject public defenders even with their large caseloads. cheap criminal attorneys tend to be the bottom feeders of the bar that feed off poor clients who dont know any better.
Prev 1 366 367 368 369 370 503 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech135
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 357
Leta 165
Dewaltoss 111
sSak 55
Bale 35
Aegong 32
NotJumperer 28
ZergMaN 26
yabsab 12
Noble 11
[ Show more ]
Icarus 7
League of Legends
JimRising 566
Reynor40
Other Games
summit1g10453
olofmeister264
Sick204
Nina77
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick765
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1231
• Jankos515
• Stunt477
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 36m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 36m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 36m
Replay Cast
15h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.