• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:40
CEST 08:40
KST 15:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8739 users

Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Page 370

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 368 369 370 371 372 503 Next
This is a sensitive and complex issue, please do not make comments without first reading the facts, which are cataloged in the OP.

If you make an uninformed post, or one that isn't relevant to the discussion, you will be moderated. If in doubt, don't post.
Blacktion
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom1148 Posts
July 11 2013 22:55 GMT
#7381
On July 12 2013 07:45 iamperfection wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.

Why ?
im pretty sure the vast majority would probably be outraged here on tl.

Id be fucking disgusted.
Even if GZ is guilty, the prosecution has got nowhere near beyond reasonable doubt.
Theres no way the jury can convict without some serious bullshit behind closed doors.
Where's Boxer, there's victory! - figq
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 23:08 GMT
#7382
On July 12 2013 07:55 Blacktion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 07:45 iamperfection wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.

Why ?
im pretty sure the vast majority would probably be outraged here on tl.

Id be fucking disgusted.
Even if GZ is guilty, the prosecution has got nowhere near beyond reasonable doubt.
Theres no way the jury can convict without some serious bullshit behind closed doors.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape. Juries are weird, but they are the final ruling in the matter and he will have been judged by the peers. I disagree with their reasoning, but I don't fully believe Zimmerman's story that he was jumped and did nothing to escalate the conflict.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Microchaton
Profile Joined March 2011
France342 Posts
July 11 2013 23:13 GMT
#7383
"Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork."

Beg your pardon ? (Parisian here) If anything it's the contrary, a lot of people didn't have anything against nazis before the invasion or even agreed with their ideas (jews were despised pretty much everywhere + charismatic leader with strong ideas/authority at a time where the french political (and military) leaders weren't exactly at their strongest... But everybody was pretty mad when Paris was invaded, the people who actually "welcomed" the invaders were very few and far between, and very discreet at the beginning. If you meant Nazi apologists in the rest of the world, it also isn't really true it's just that a lot of people didn't want to take risks by betting on the wrong horse.


Anyway I'm going to be quite upset and disappointed if Zimmerman is convicted and I sort of want to be see what happens when he's acquitted.
Stormy
FallDownMarigold
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3710 Posts
July 11 2013 23:37 GMT
#7384
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.

I think you're probably confusing average opinion of all TL users with the opinions of the ones still talking loudest and most frequently in this thread. Just saying. Same applies to any thread about a particular topic. The ones who happen to be chirping away the most on a given topic dont necessarily represent an accurate sampling of TL overall

Just nitpicking, sorry
GreenGringo
Profile Joined July 2013
349 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 23:51:17
July 11 2013 23:47 GMT
#7385
On July 12 2013 08:13 Microchaton wrote:
Beg your pardon ? (Parisian here) If anything it's the contrary, a lot of people didn't have anything against nazis before the invasion or even agreed with their ideas (jews were despised pretty much everywhere + charismatic leader with strong ideas/authority at a time where the french political (and military) leaders weren't exactly at their strongest... But everybody was pretty mad when Paris was invaded, the people who actually "welcomed" the invaders were very few and far between, and very discreet at the beginning. If you meant Nazi apologists in the rest of the world, it also isn't really true it's just that a lot of people didn't want to take risks by betting on the wrong horse.
Well, I find it hard to believe that the French were pro-German when they were at war with Germany, and I don't think it's disputable that the Nazi occupation greatly accelerated the Nazification of French culture. But the details don't really matter. Point was, people tend to go along with power. It's true in the case of invading armies, who almost invariably (given ruthless enough tactics) bend the occupied people to their will. I fear we'll find that it's true in the case of baying mobs that threaten to riot and brand anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 00:18:30
July 12 2013 00:03 GMT
#7386
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Infernal_dream
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2359 Posts
July 12 2013 00:21 GMT
#7387
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.


It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.
ragz_gt
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
9172 Posts
July 12 2013 00:28 GMT
#7388
On July 12 2013 09:21 Infernal_dream wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.


It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.


Judge is allowing manslaughter charge now, no?
I'm not an otaku, I'm a specialist.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
July 12 2013 00:29 GMT
#7389
Well to be fair, what I think or what anyone here in this thread thinks doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

That being said I don't find it reasonable to doubt that Zimmerman initiated the conflict.

I know people will disagree and regardless of what I post for why people won't accept it so I won't bother and will just wait till the verdict comes out most likely.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 00:32:15
July 12 2013 00:30 GMT
#7390
On July 12 2013 09:28 ragz_gt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:21 Infernal_dream wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.


It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.


Judge is allowing manslaughter charge now, no?



Sure is. Contrary to the majority opinion of this threads posters
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
July 12 2013 00:39 GMT
#7391
On July 12 2013 07:55 Blacktion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 07:45 iamperfection wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.

Why ?
im pretty sure the vast majority would probably be outraged here on tl.

Id be fucking disgusted.
Even if GZ is guilty, the prosecution has got nowhere near beyond reasonable doubt.
Theres no way the jury can convict without some serious bullshit behind closed doors.


I would never underestimate humanity's collective capacity to be completely unreasonable.

ConGee
Profile Joined May 2012
318 Posts
July 12 2013 00:40 GMT
#7392
On July 12 2013 09:28 ragz_gt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:21 Infernal_dream wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.


It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.


Judge is allowing manslaughter charge now, no?


Self-defense is an absolute defense against manslaughter. They haven't been able to disprove Zimmerman's account of self-defense (John Good's testimony, autopsy, and injuries), so it should be stricken if they rule according to the instructions.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
July 12 2013 00:49 GMT
#7393
On July 12 2013 09:40 ConGee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:28 ragz_gt wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:21 Infernal_dream wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.


It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.


Judge is allowing manslaughter charge now, no?


Self-defense is an absolute defense against manslaughter. They haven't been able to disprove Zimmerman's account of self-defense (John Good's testimony, autopsy, and injuries), so it should be stricken if they rule according to the instructions.

There is a difference between what the judge allows and the verdict the jury renders.......
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Microchaton
Profile Joined March 2011
France342 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 10:53:23
July 12 2013 00:49 GMT
#7394
[B]On July 12 2013 08:47 GreenGringo wrote:Well, I find it hard to believe that the French were pro-German when they were at war with Germany, and I don't think it's disputable that the Nazi occupation greatly accelerated the Nazification of French culture. But the details don't really matter. Point was, people tend to go along with power. It's true in the case of invading armies, who almost invariably (given ruthless enough tactics) bend the occupied people to their will. I fear we'll find that it's true in the case of baying mobs that threaten to riot and brand anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.


Sigh I'm sure you know the history of my country better than myself, regardless of my masters degree in history. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread, it's already been diverted too much by various debates.


How does the jury sequestration work, are they forbidden to use the internet/their phones, constantly escorted and isolated in a hotel room and unable to speak with one another ?
Stormy
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
July 12 2013 00:51 GMT
#7395
On July 12 2013 09:49 Microchaton wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]On July 12 2013 08:47 GreenGringo wrote:Well, I find it hard to believe that the French were pro-German when they were at war with Germany, and I don't think it's disputable that the Nazi occupation greatly accelerated the Nazification of French culture. But the details don't really matter. Point was, people tend to go along with power. It's true in the case of invading armies, who almost invariably (given ruthless enough tactics) bend the occupied people to their will. I fear we'll find that it's true in the case of baying mobs that threaten to riot and brand anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.


Sigh I'm sure you know the history of my country better than myself, regardless of my masters degree in history. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread, it's already been diverted too much by various debates.


How does the jury sequestration, are they forbidden to use the internet/their phones, constantly escorted and isolated in a hotel room and unable to speak with one another ?

Unless something is different with Florida and I'm not aware of it, yes, this is correct.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 00:53:03
July 12 2013 00:52 GMT
#7396
On July 12 2013 09:49 Microchaton wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]On July 12 2013 08:47 GreenGringo wrote:Well, I find it hard to believe that the French were pro-German when they were at war with Germany, and I don't think it's disputable that the Nazi occupation greatly accelerated the Nazification of French culture. But the details don't really matter. Point was, people tend to go along with power. It's true in the case of invading armies, who almost invariably (given ruthless enough tactics) bend the occupied people to their will. I fear we'll find that it's true in the case of baying mobs that threaten to riot and brand anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.


Sigh I'm sure you know the history of my country better than myself, regardless of my masters degree in history. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread, it's already been diverted too much by various debates.


How does the jury sequestration, are they forbidden to use the internet/their phones, constantly escorted and isolated in a hotel room and unable to speak with one another ?


And here continues the stereotype of the arrogant American who think they know more about other people's country than the people who are from that country.

On topic, I didn't know juries were ever forbidden from speaking to each other.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 00:54:29
July 12 2013 00:53 GMT
#7397
On July 12 2013 09:52 plogamer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:49 Microchaton wrote:
[B]On July 12 2013 08:47 GreenGringo wrote:Well, I find it hard to believe that the French were pro-German when they were at war with Germany, and I don't think it's disputable that the Nazi occupation greatly accelerated the Nazification of French culture. But the details don't really matter. Point was, people tend to go along with power. It's true in the case of invading armies, who almost invariably (given ruthless enough tactics) bend the occupied people to their will. I fear we'll find that it's true in the case of baying mobs that threaten to riot and brand anyone who disagrees with them as a racist.


Sigh I'm sure you know the history of my country better than myself, regardless of my masters degree in history. Anyway I don't want to derail this thread, it's already been diverted too much by various debates.


How does the jury sequestration, are they forbidden to use the internet/their phones, constantly escorted and isolated in a hotel room and unable to speak with one another ?


And here continues the stereotype of the arrogant American who think they know more about other people's country than the people who are from that country.

On topic, I didn't know juries were ever forbidden from speaking to each other.

They are allowed to talk with one another during deliberations.

Edit: Though this differs state to state.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Myrddraal
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia937 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-12 01:08:49
July 12 2013 00:55 GMT
#7398
On July 12 2013 09:29 GreenHorizons wrote:
Well to be fair, what I think or what anyone here in this thread thinks doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

That being said I don't find it reasonable to doubt that Zimmerman initiated the conflict.

I know people will disagree and regardless of what I post for why people won't accept it so I won't bother and will just wait till the verdict comes out most likely.


For the record I have pretty much the same stance as you on this. I only started looking at this thread again a few days ago after noticing that the trial had commenced. I had initially written Zimmerman off as guilty but as more information came out became uncertain.

I thought I saw something earlier about getting the phone conversation between Trayvon and his friend, is anything happening with that? If that managed to capture the audio of the initial conflict that could shed some light on whether GZ initiated contact intentionally, because I find it really hard to believe that Trayvon first ran away, then doubled back to initiate.

Either way, if Zimmerman gets off scott free I would find that extremely fucked up. I can understand that there might not be enough evidence for murder, but you shouldn't be able to stalk someone, get in a fight with them, shoot them, and get off free just because nobody else saw it and you say that they are the one that started it.

On July 12 2013 07:55 Blacktion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 07:45 iamperfection wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.

Why ?
im pretty sure the vast majority would probably be outraged here on tl.

Id be fucking disgusted.
Even if GZ is guilty, the prosecution has got nowhere near beyond reasonable doubt.
Theres no way the jury can convict without some serious bullshit behind closed doors.


I find your attitude disgusting, even if it is technically correct.

"Even if he is guilty, I would be disgusted if the legal system manages to convict someone without absolute proof"

Without the first part I wouldn't have a problem, but saying that you would prefer someone who is guilty to get off just because there is not enough evidence available seems messed up to me.

[stranded]: http://www.indiedb.com/games/stranded
ConGee
Profile Joined May 2012
318 Posts
July 12 2013 00:57 GMT
#7399
On July 12 2013 09:49 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 09:40 ConGee wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:28 ragz_gt wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:21 Infernal_dream wrote:
On July 12 2013 09:03 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 12 2013 07:43 GreenGringo wrote:
I predict that if Zimmerman is found guilty, the general opinion at TL will switch overnight from 95% pro-Zimmerman to 50% either way. Kind of like when Paris fell to the Germans and then opinion started to be divided and all these Nazi apologists sprung up out of the woodwork.



I am sure you will see some backtracking and/or berating of the jury because they didn't see what TL posters saw.

I don't at all find Zimmerman's multiple accounts believable or reasonable.

So for me much of what people here are presuming is reasonable is capable of being dismissed as unreasonable.

As a result I find it totally possible and reasonably likely he gets convicted of something, however I do find it highly unlikely it will be murder 2

And for those who think it totally unreasonable, the justice system has made it clear otherwise. So if there is a bias from the judge that doesn't adhere to the law the appeal acquittal would likely get granted with little fanfare.

The idea that the case should have never been granted is a view held by some on TL and the failed PD but the judge knew this would be highly scrutinized; if it was remotely as obvious as TL posters make it sound that it should of been thrown out, it would have been.

Simply put the vast majority here are simply wrong about whether the case should of been brought in the first place so I don't put a whole lot of value in their assessments of the potential verdicts.

L
It doesn't really matter if you believe Zimmerman or not. You have to believe beyond reasonable doubt (100% sure in your head) that it's murder. If you don't believe 100% that it's murder then you can't convict him.


Judge is allowing manslaughter charge now, no?


Self-defense is an absolute defense against manslaughter. They haven't been able to disprove Zimmerman's account of self-defense (John Good's testimony, autopsy, and injuries), so it should be stricken if they rule according to the instructions.

There is a difference between what the judge allows and the verdict the jury renders.......


Meant that the jury should drop the charge, don't know why I used 'stricken'.
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
July 12 2013 00:59 GMT
#7400
On July 12 2013 09:55 Myrddraal wrote:
Either way, if Zimmerman gets off scott free I would find that extremely fucked up. I can understand that there might not be enough evidence for murder, but you shouldn't be able to stalk someone, get in a fight with them, shoot them, and get off free just because nobody else saw it and you say that they are the one that started it.

You can convict an infinite number of innocent people if you use this like of thinking. That's why the standards for conviction are so high.
The story, as Zimmerman tells it, holds up quite well. He most certainly should not go to jail on the opinion that he shouldn't have been following a suspected burglar.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Prev 1 368 369 370 371 372 503 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 440
Hyuk 246
Leta 214
Hyun 95
Hm[arnc] 26
ZergMaN 14
Shinee 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm221
League of Legends
JimRising 751
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King98
Other Games
summit1g8620
WinterStarcraft519
ArmadaUGS73
Nina67
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick799
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream162
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2317
League of Legends
• Rush1470
• Lourlo1198
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 21m
INu's Battles
5h 21m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 21m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 21m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 21m
Replay Cast
16h 21m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.