• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:53
CEST 14:53
KST 21:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8392 users

Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Page 365

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 363 364 365 366 367 503 Next
This is a sensitive and complex issue, please do not make comments without first reading the facts, which are cataloged in the OP.

If you make an uninformed post, or one that isn't relevant to the discussion, you will be moderated. If in doubt, don't post.
QQKachoo
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States192 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 20:48:10
July 11 2013 20:45 GMT
#7281
On July 12 2013 05:32 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:29 QQKachoo wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:24 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:23 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:22 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


Need a definition of CONCEALED ???


Oh please. It's trivial to spot a concealed weapon on someone unless they're wearing particularly baggy clothes. I have seen people carrying before. It's super easy to spot.


Do you search purses ? You simply have no idea about much, apparently. Obviously, Trayvon wasn't able to realize GZ was armed, otherwise he wouldn't have done what he did.


I don't understand why he punched him in the first place. This is assuming Zimmerman didn't grab him first and the beginning of the altercation as stated is true.


How about because some "creepy ass cracker" was following him simply because he was "walking while black in a gated community" and he was upset at being treated in this way. Perhaps he wanted to beat him up for treating him this way, when he had done nothing wrong to deserve such a treatment ? It's pretty obvious that this black youth felt the GZ had wronged him by following him and calling the police on him. Is that hard to believe ? Because, to me, it's very likely what brought about the physical attack initiated by Trayvon.


can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious
@QKachoo
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 20:45 GMT
#7282
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:01 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:59 Millitron wrote:
[quote]
Zimmerman was legally allowed to follow Martin. You've never coincidentally been going the same direction as someone? That's indistinguishable from following.

Zimmerman was legally allowed to carry that gun. Carrying a gun does not mean he anticipated violence. You wear your seatbelt right? Do you anticipate getting in a car crash?


Umm...yes wearing a seat belt means you are anticipating a car crash.

No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ConGee
Profile Joined May 2012
318 Posts
July 11 2013 20:45 GMT
#7283
On July 12 2013 05:40 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:36 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:30 Klondikebar wrote:
Yeah now you're diverging from my point. I'm not talking about Martin knowing whether or not Zimmerman was carrying. I'm talking about the fact that Zimmerman was carrying at all. I'm saying people do not just walk around with guns. The ones I have seen were just kinda shoved in their pants and pretty clearly showing so it's not like the people that have them feel the need to hide them.

I'm saying it's unusual for Zimmerman to be carrying a gun at all unless he thought the probability of violence was unusually high. Given that probability, I feel that his actions were reckless and that he put himself in an unnecessary amount of danger.


Based on what you've written, I'll just conclude that you're woefully uninformed. Many more people than you realize "just walk around with guns". People who are concealed carry permit holders generally are armed by default, unless they know ahead of time they are going somewhere or will be in a situation where it's inappropriate, such as going out drinking. GZ was going to Target to shop. He was armed by default. He was already armed when he encountered TM.


Why the fuck would you take a gun to a Target?! Am I really the only person who thinks that's weird?! Thinking a gun is a necessity at all times is not normal unless you've been specifically trained to have one at all times (i.e. military). Maybe I'm just in the wrong crowd. But given how many times I've gone in public and not been the victim of random violence I think you'd have to be extraordinarily paranoid to think a gun would do more good than harm on a day to day basis. And this is coming from a Texan who prides himself on being the best shot in his family...most of whom are gun nuts.

"Time to go shopping for well priced home goods! Got my keys, wallet, phone, and gun!"


People with concealed permits bring their weapons everywhere. Remember the story a few years back where an elderly lady stopped a gunman IN A CHURCH by shooting him?



LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
July 11 2013 20:45 GMT
#7284
On July 12 2013 05:44 dAPhREAk wrote:did the court agree to instruct on manslaughter?

Yes.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
July 11 2013 20:48 GMT
#7285
On July 12 2013 05:40 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:36 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:30 Klondikebar wrote:
Yeah now you're diverging from my point. I'm not talking about Martin knowing whether or not Zimmerman was carrying. I'm talking about the fact that Zimmerman was carrying at all. I'm saying people do not just walk around with guns. The ones I have seen were just kinda shoved in their pants and pretty clearly showing so it's not like the people that have them feel the need to hide them.

I'm saying it's unusual for Zimmerman to be carrying a gun at all unless he thought the probability of violence was unusually high. Given that probability, I feel that his actions were reckless and that he put himself in an unnecessary amount of danger.


Based on what you've written, I'll just conclude that you're woefully uninformed. Many more people than you realize "just walk around with guns". People who are concealed carry permit holders generally are armed by default, unless they know ahead of time they are going somewhere or will be in a situation where it's inappropriate, such as going out drinking. GZ was going to Target to shop. He was armed by default. He was already armed when he encountered TM.


Why the fuck would you take a gun to a Target?! Am I really the only person who thinks that's weird?! Thinking a gun is a necessity at all times is not normal unless you've been specifically trained to have one at all times (i.e. military). Maybe I'm just in the wrong crowd. But given how many times I've gone in public and not been the victim of random violence I think you'd have to be extraordinarily paranoid to think a gun would do more good than harm on a day to day basis. And this is coming from a Texan who prides himself on being the best shot in his family...most of whom are gun nuts.

"Time to go shopping for well priced home goods! Got my keys, wallet, phone, and gun!"

No, it isn't a necessity, but it's always good to have a habit of doing things so you don't forget them when you need them
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
July 11 2013 20:48 GMT
#7286
What's this press conference about?
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
Dosey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4505 Posts
July 11 2013 20:48 GMT
#7287
On July 12 2013 05:40 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:36 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:30 Klondikebar wrote:
Yeah now you're diverging from my point. I'm not talking about Martin knowing whether or not Zimmerman was carrying. I'm talking about the fact that Zimmerman was carrying at all. I'm saying people do not just walk around with guns. The ones I have seen were just kinda shoved in their pants and pretty clearly showing so it's not like the people that have them feel the need to hide them.

I'm saying it's unusual for Zimmerman to be carrying a gun at all unless he thought the probability of violence was unusually high. Given that probability, I feel that his actions were reckless and that he put himself in an unnecessary amount of danger.


Based on what you've written, I'll just conclude that you're woefully uninformed. Many more people than you realize "just walk around with guns". People who are concealed carry permit holders generally are armed by default, unless they know ahead of time they are going somewhere or will be in a situation where it's inappropriate, such as going out drinking. GZ was going to Target to shop. He was armed by default. He was already armed when he encountered TM.


Why the fuck would you take a gun to a Target?! Am I really the only person who thinks that's weird?! Thinking a gun is a necessity at all times is not normal unless you've been specifically trained to have one at all times (i.e. military). Maybe I'm just in the wrong crowd. But given how many times I've gone in public and not been the victim of random violence I think you'd have to be extraordinarily paranoid to think a gun would do more good than harm on a day to day basis. And this is coming from a Texan who prides himself on being the best shot in his family...most of whom are gun nuts.

"Time to go shopping for well priced home goods! Got my keys, wallet, phone, and gun!"


You never know when you will need it. To quote my female colleague at my previous job: "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" You don't get a concealed carry license for the sole purpose of saying you have it, you actually put it to use.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 20:55:33
July 11 2013 20:49 GMT
#7288
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:01 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Umm...yes wearing a seat belt means you are anticipating a car crash.

No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

Concealed carry stats aside (although I still don't think I'm wrong) the only reason you'd carry a weapon around is if you thought violence was a big enough possibility that you figured the protection the weapon provided outweighed the potential danger it causes itself. It is a well known fact that the human brain grossly overestimates the probability that bad things will happen to us so it's no surprise that people on a day to day basis carry around guns convinced that they're gonna get to be batman for a day. But that doesn't change the fact that it's irrational and, in my opinion, weird as fucking hell to be that paranoid.

Zimmerman doing something legal doesn't mean he wasn't irresponsible. The law allows us to do all sorts of irresponsible things. I think Zimmerman is kinda a racist asshole who acted irresponsibly.
#2throwed
dotHead
Profile Joined October 2010
United States233 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 20:50:29
July 11 2013 20:49 GMT
#7289
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:01 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:59 Millitron wrote:
[quote]
Zimmerman was legally allowed to follow Martin. You've never coincidentally been going the same direction as someone? That's indistinguishable from following.

Zimmerman was legally allowed to carry that gun. Carrying a gun does not mean he anticipated violence. You wear your seatbelt right? Do you anticipate getting in a car crash?


Umm...yes wearing a seat belt means you are anticipating a car crash.

No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

Texas has almost a million people with CHL's, while not a high percentage of the population, I would still say that shows that people do carry, or at least have the ability to.

It looks like there are only about 6 million chls in all of the USA, but it seems to be going up.

No point in arguing.
Aint got time to bleed
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
July 11 2013 20:50 GMT
#7290
On July 12 2013 05:44 dAPhREAk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:41 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:38 dAPhREAk wrote:
just got back to the office. what is the tl;dr version of today? there are 400 unread messages. o.O

The DA tried some BS, went for manslaughter, tried for 3rd degree murder via Child abuse. The Judge shot down the 3rd degree murder charge and said the DA was dumb. Close arguments started and the DA made the argument we all expected and may have pushed the truth slightly beyond what is reasonable.

Most of the debate in the thread has been about dumb stuff. How did you do in Court today? Get anyone sanctioned?

expert deposition. finished my questions in person, now im on phone for remainder. cant watch. =(

did the court agree to instruct on manslaughter? or are they doing all or nothing like some people are thinking?

Depositions SUCK, but at least your witness is an expert and not someone who had no idea what they should be answering. Getting people sanctioned is way more fun.

You didn't miss much really, just a lot of windbagging. At the end of the day, it is what we expected.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
LeroyJenkem
Profile Joined January 2012
36 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 20:53:34
July 11 2013 20:51 GMT
#7291
On July 12 2013 05:43 LegalLord wrote:
Is it really so implausible that a kid with a long history of fighting, angered by what he perceives to be a case of a creepy racist white man following him, possibly under the influence of drugs, would start a fight?

If nothing else, that turn of events is at the very least plausible.



Once again, in the REAL WORLD, you do not have the right to attack or start a fight with someone because they are creeping you out, or they are following you. It is a good explanation of why martin attacked him, but once again in the real world you cant just hit someone under any circumstances unless you are attacked first and have to defend yourself. I dont see how some people can hold the opinion that Martin was in the right to attack Zimmerman. If martin felt threatened then he should have called the police, not just start swinging.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-11 20:56:48
July 11 2013 20:52 GMT
#7292
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
[quote]
No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 20:52 GMT
#7293
On July 12 2013 05:45 QQKachoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:32 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:29 QQKachoo wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:24 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:23 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:22 Kaitlin wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
[quote]
How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


Need a definition of CONCEALED ???


Oh please. It's trivial to spot a concealed weapon on someone unless they're wearing particularly baggy clothes. I have seen people carrying before. It's super easy to spot.


Do you search purses ? You simply have no idea about much, apparently. Obviously, Trayvon wasn't able to realize GZ was armed, otherwise he wouldn't have done what he did.


I don't understand why he punched him in the first place. This is assuming Zimmerman didn't grab him first and the beginning of the altercation as stated is true.


How about because some "creepy ass cracker" was following him simply because he was "walking while black in a gated community" and he was upset at being treated in this way. Perhaps he wanted to beat him up for treating him this way, when he had done nothing wrong to deserve such a treatment ? It's pretty obvious that this black youth felt the GZ had wronged him by following him and calling the police on him. Is that hard to believe ? Because, to me, it's very likely what brought about the physical attack initiated by Trayvon.


can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious


I was serious. I wasn't justifying Trayvon's reason for punching Zimmerman in the face, just explaining why I think he did it. Of course it was absolutely unjustified, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It happened because Trayvon reacted in the way I described.
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
July 11 2013 20:53 GMT
#7294
On July 12 2013 05:51 LeroyJenkem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:43 LegalLord wrote:
Is it really so implausible that a kid with a long history of fighting, angered by what he perceives to be a case of a creepy racist white man following him, possibly under the influence of drugs, would start a fight?

If nothing else, that turn of events is at the very least plausible.



Once again, in the REAL WORLD, you do not have the right to attack or start a fight with someone because they are creeping you out, or they are following you. It is a good explanation of why martin attacked him, but once again in the real world you cant just hit someone under any circumstances unless you are attacked first and have to defend yourself. I dont see how some people can hold the opinion that Martin was in the right to attack Zimmerman.

Who said it was right for him to do so?
I certainly don't think it is.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
July 11 2013 20:54 GMT
#7295
On July 12 2013 05:51 LeroyJenkem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:43 LegalLord wrote:
Is it really so implausible that a kid with a long history of fighting, angered by what he perceives to be a case of a creepy racist white man following him, possibly under the influence of drugs, would start a fight?

If nothing else, that turn of events is at the very least plausible.



Once again, in the REAL WORLD, you do not have the right to attack or start a fight with someone because they are creeping you out, or they are following you. It is a good explanation of why martin attacked him, but once again in the real world you cant just hit someone under any circumstances unless you are attacked first and have to defend yourself. I dont see how some people can hold the opinion that Martin was in the right to attack Zimmerman. If martin felt threatened then he should have called the police, not just start swinging.


Stop responding to people who are trying to explain why Trayvon did what he did as if they are justifying what Trayvon did. Of course Trayvon was wrong to do it. These are merely explanations as to why he did it, not justifications.
LeroyJenkem
Profile Joined January 2012
36 Posts
July 11 2013 20:55 GMT
#7296
On July 12 2013 05:53 LegalLord wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:51 LeroyJenkem wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 LegalLord wrote:
Is it really so implausible that a kid with a long history of fighting, angered by what he perceives to be a case of a creepy racist white man following him, possibly under the influence of drugs, would start a fight?

If nothing else, that turn of events is at the very least plausible.



Once again, in the REAL WORLD, you do not have the right to attack or start a fight with someone because they are creeping you out, or they are following you. It is a good explanation of why martin attacked him, but once again in the real world you cant just hit someone under any circumstances unless you are attacked first and have to defend yourself. I dont see how some people can hold the opinion that Martin was in the right to attack Zimmerman.

Who said it was right for him to do so?
I certainly don't think it is.


I apologize then. I misunderstood you and thought you were saying that in your opinion Martin was in the right. Sorry.
Klondikebar
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2227 Posts
July 11 2013 20:57 GMT
#7297
On July 12 2013 05:52 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
[quote]

Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

I have a knife in my bag right now. I am in the office. Do you know why I have it? Because I don't know when I will need a knife. Same with fire and tape.

None fo this stuff is illegal or unreasonable. I don't know what you are fishing for. Just because it doesn't make sense to you does mean there is something wrong.


Is it not against company policy to have a knife on the premises? I'd get fired on the spot if they discovered anything like that in my bag.
#2throwed
Rhino85
Profile Joined February 2011
United States90 Posts
July 11 2013 20:57 GMT
#7298
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:01 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 04:59 Millitron wrote:
[quote]
Zimmerman was legally allowed to follow Martin. You've never coincidentally been going the same direction as someone? That's indistinguishable from following.

Zimmerman was legally allowed to carry that gun. Carrying a gun does not mean he anticipated violence. You wear your seatbelt right? Do you anticipate getting in a car crash?


Umm...yes wearing a seat belt means you are anticipating a car crash.

No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.


I live in Dallas as well and recently got my CHL. I carry everyday but that's because the sales territory I work is all of southeast Dallas. I sell windows to apartment buildings. After you measure as many windows that have bullet holes as I have you might change your mind about the need to protect yourself. How's that for anecdotal evidence?
The object of war is not to die for your country but make the other bastard die for his.
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
July 11 2013 20:58 GMT
#7299
depo done. when did prosecutor's closing argument start?
Dosey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4505 Posts
July 11 2013 20:58 GMT
#7300
On July 12 2013 05:49 Klondikebar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2013 05:45 Plansix wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:43 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:40 dotHead wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:21 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:18 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:16 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:12 SKC wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:09 Klondikebar wrote:
On July 12 2013 05:02 Millitron wrote:
[quote]
No, it means you are aware it is a possibility and want to be prepared, not that you expect it to happen.


Yeah...you're not disagreeing with me. If all you want is a non-zero possibility then we should all be carrying guns at all times and that would be effing weird. Zimmerman must have considered the possibility of violence high enough that a gun was necessary.

Bear in mind that many police forces outside the states don't even consider the possibility of violence high enough to warrant a gun in their own day to day activities. That threshold has to be high. High enough that I think Zimmerman was going to...help the violence along. I think he got lucky that Martin overreacted and that's the only reason he's getting off.

He did bad, but Martin did worse.

How did he get lucky that Martin overreacted? His live got pretty much screwed because of it, even if he is not convicted.

If Martin had not overreacted, nothing would have happened. Do you seriously believe he would randomly shoot him for no reason just because he was carrying a gun?


Just because he was carrying a gun? No
I think he was looking for trouble based on his arrogant actions combined with the fact that he was carrying a gun in a role (neighborhood watchmen) that doesn't use guns.

And I use lucky in a relative sense here. had Martin not overreacted but violence still happened, Zimmerman would be guilty.

How exactly do you think violence would still happen had Martin not attacked him? Zimmerman would aproach him, arrogantly, in your own words, maybe even hold him until the police arrives, and nothing would happen. He could be accused of racism or being a vigilante, but I don't believe there is evidence that Zimmermann would actually attack him.


Because Martin would, justifiably, resist being held, especially if Zimmerman's only claim to hold him was that he "looked suspicious."

And again, ya'll are like totally missing the "carrying a gun" thing. Even in Texas it's not normal to just see people carrying guns. It's still rare even here. It's effing weird that he was carrying a gun, license or no.


I lived in Dallas for almost 15 years, and I think almost everyone I knew had a CHL, and carried daily (Including myself). I now live in Philadelphia, where I would say about half of everyone I know carrys.


I've lived in Dallas for 24 years and scarce few people I know actually carry their guns on a daily basis even if they have licenses. Now, tons of cars have guns in them. But actual on person guns...nope.

We can both play the anecdotal numbers game about Texas. I bet I win.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in china? The man had a gun, it was legal and he could carry it legally. You can't claim that people have weird intent when they are doing something that is totally allowed by law. If he had stabbed Martin, we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Yes we would. I'd be saying "why the fuck did Zimmerman think he needed a knife?!"

Again, it is entirely legal to carry a knife (within blade inch limits per your states laws) and you would never know when you actually need a knife. So you would be just as wrong for this line of thought.
Prev 1 363 364 365 366 367 503 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1462
WardiTV728
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko479
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6875
Bisu 2308
Jaedong 964
EffOrt 511
Horang2 461
actioN 337
Mini 243
ZerO 199
Larva 157
ggaemo 128
[ Show more ]
Pusan 122
Mind 107
Barracks 80
Shinee 68
Sharp 64
Bale 62
Yoon 55
Hyun 55
Snow 54
Killer 40
Dewaltoss 36
hero 34
ToSsGirL 33
Sacsri 23
NotJumperer 19
scan(afreeca) 19
sorry 18
zelot 18
Noble 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc2943
qojqva1208
Dendi1070
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1115
markeloff84
Other Games
hiko622
B2W.Neo438
crisheroes280
DeMusliM219
Pyrionflax188
Livibee127
QueenE77
Mew2King60
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV968
League of Legends
• Jankos1956
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 7m
Patches Events
1d 3h
The PondCast
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.