• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:04
CEST 16:04
KST 23:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7482 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 42

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 69 Next
VForce
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany90 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 23:53:08
November 16 2011 23:15 GMT
#821
I linked my memrise profile with my facebook profile so memrise just used my facebook picture. The thing is that I dont want that, but I cant put another picture there ( I get the same msg as Rimstalker). Is the only way to get rid of me fb picture to disable memrise in facebook again? It seems like other users have the problem of not being able to upload a picture as well. I tried .png and .jpg files with about 50-500 kb so size should not have been an issue.

Edit: just came across another issue. when doing my portugues word list everything is fine, if I do the "SAT essentials" everything is fine as long as I got every word perfectly right, if I make a spelling mistake the session freezes and I have to restart. Could it be that for some reason it takes the side more time/resources to check how much the word is wrong (ok i know that sounds wrong in itself but I dont have a better expression for it) and therefor at peaktimes crashes? Well whatever the reason its quite anoying, hope it can be fixed or if it is a result of to many users I will try to do the "SAT essentials" during another time of the day.
JoFritzMD
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia163 Posts
November 16 2011 23:59 GMT
#822
On November 16 2011 23:45 BurningLight wrote:
Im trying to learn the letter symbols, because I think it is the first step to learning korean because otherwise its just recognizing symbols with no meaning which I think will slow me down. anyway IM trying to find a good thing to associate the letters with. Its difficult to associate with phenomes because I honestly dont know the phenomes. maybe this is just the downside to self teaching.

Perhaps we should make a korean learning skype channel?


http://www.zkorean.com/hangul/appearance

I've been using this to remind me of what the characters are. I've been fine on consonants but I can't seem to get the vowels into my head >_<
"Guess what. All my strategies are made of balls." - Tasteless
Lynda
Profile Joined May 2010
649 Posts
November 17 2011 00:14 GMT
#823
TL-RainbowDash here, just started up and really liking it so far, seems like it will definitely help me to catch up on my German vocabulary quite a lot.
wchigo
Profile Joined September 2010
China71 Posts
November 17 2011 09:27 GMT
#824
TL-wchigo = Mandarin

I moved to China about six months ago and I have conversational knowledge of Cantonese but I don't know how to read or write in Chinese, but I basically knew no Putonghua (Mandarin) and even now, I barely know anything. I can pick up a few choice words here and there, and occasionally I can guess someone's intentions based on the situation, but other than that nada.

So this has been a huge boon for me. I was lazy and didn't really put much effort into learning since I didn't know where to start, but this is great. It helps me to learn the words in their original Chinese character form while also providing me with pinyin and some audio files for pronunciation. I feel like I've learnt more today in the hour or so I spent, on and off, than I have most of my time here. This is great, and it has given me motivation to seek out other tools to help me learn this language faster.

Cheers to TL for this thread, and cheers to memrise and its founders and contributors!
Rhodry
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany104 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-17 10:12:53
November 17 2011 10:12 GMT
#825
TL-Rhodry i started learning Mandarin and liking it so far :O Allthough theres not really a particular reason i learn mandarin ^^
TL+ Member
ArhK
Profile Joined July 2007
France287 Posts
November 17 2011 10:21 GMT
#826
Same here, spent 6 months in Shanghai, looking forward to go there, this website is a great way to learn, the whole "game / take care of your plants" is very well designed, kudos to the creators.
Kaiwa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2209 Posts
November 17 2011 15:52 GMT
#827
LOL... There's this one guy in the top 100 with the name: "Teamsolid". I lol'd xD
시크릿 / 씨스타 / 에이핑크 / 윤하 / 가비앤제이
BurningLight
Profile Joined September 2011
9 Posts
November 17 2011 20:05 GMT
#828
Im trying to learn the letter symbols, because I think it is the first step to learning korean because otherwise its just recognizing symbols with no meaning which I think will slow me down. anyway IM trying to find a good thing to associate the letters with. Its difficult to associate with phenomes because I honestly dont know the phenomes. maybe this is just the downside to self teaching.

Perhaps we should make a korean learning skype channel?

Sorry about the repost but my comment was overlooked I feel like i had a good topic for discussion or I wouldn't repost.
Adeny
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Norway1233 Posts
November 17 2011 23:22 GMT
#829
The japanese font is pretty bad, I prefer mine to be plain / not as stylized. Please add a setting to change fonts pr. account!
Pandaz
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia52 Posts
November 18 2011 01:42 GMT
#830
On November 18 2011 08:22 Adeny wrote:
The japanese font is pretty bad, I prefer mine to be plain / not as stylized. Please add a setting to change fonts pr. account!

I thought so too at first, however, after a couple of days I don't even notice it anymore. I think it's also better in the long run to be able to recognise words in different fonts anyway.
davidohx
Profile Joined July 2010
United States114 Posts
November 18 2011 04:19 GMT
#831
Davidohx - Korean
Thanks for this. Lucky I checked the forums today :D
"A dream is like a virus" -Leonardo Dicaprio (Inception)
LanTAs
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1091 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 06:07:36
November 18 2011 06:05 GMT
#832
Yep, trying Mandarin, SAT Vocab, korean and jap

No more LoL or SC2 for me, time to do this XD

I'm as TL-LanTAs
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 18 2011 12:41 GMT
#833
On November 16 2011 13:13 DarkSider wrote:
Hey gregdetre,

I would really really like to have a way (directly on site) of seeing all the words in a wordlist. I'm only interested in the most basic words atm and there are several wordlists with assorted words and i'd like to ignore those instead learning 10 new words and seeing the next 10 are the most obscure things making me delete the entire wordlist. Maybe even add option of hiding/marking wordlists with comments so you don't have to browse all of them again when you want to search for a new wordlist.

Would be also awesome to view monthly top 100 X language learners and see what wordlists everybody is learning (past month or lifetime) and clicking on a name to see stats like wordlists ordered after time of planting / how much it took to harvest all the words in that particular wordlist/ total known words at that time(at harvest)/ average total words learned/day(at each harvest).


Those are some superb suggestions.

As a poster below suggests, you can see all the items in a wordlist if you click on the 'seeds' tab, and then 'view all items'. We should try and make that more salient.

We're working very hard to compile really great lists of the top 1000 or so beginner words in a bunch of languages, and then we'll expand out from there. At some point, we'll also try and add ratings to wordlists, so the best ones float to the top.

N.B. In the meantime, in a learning session, if you hover your mouse over the right side when you're being presented with a word, you'll see an 'ignore word' option, that'll skip over that word from then on.

We're working on leaderboards broken down by language, by wordlist, and eventually, by friends. I don't want to put a timeline on it, because we have a lot going on, but I definitely want these too!

Oh, and more stats stats stats! I love stats too. Though I will say this - we're careful about what stats we display. We used to highlight words-per-hour as a metric, but it kind of takes the joy out of things. It starts to feel like a helter-skelter Le Mans race, rather than an exhilarating drive in an Aston Martin through the countryside...
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 18 2011 12:43 GMT
#834
On November 16 2011 21:34 VForce wrote:
Would be interesting to know why they are farming that hardcore. Whether its really just because they want to be on top of the leaderboard of whether its really their way of learning. I am not sure if he reads this topic but I am looking at you TL-swAMi ^^ . This is not meant as an attack, I dont really care that much about the whole farming thing, it just baffels me

Edit: Oh and I think adding mems that others find helpful should definitely give some points, adding content for others should always be rewarded in some way I think.


You're spot on! We really want to highlight mem creation, since it's the best way to learn, it adds something that everyone benefits, and it's a tremendously satisfying (if weird) form of creativity. It deserves better recognition than we're giving it.

As it happens, you *do* get points every time someone uses or likes your mem, we just don't tell you about it yet
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 18 2011 12:45 GMT
#835
On November 17 2011 04:16 Hemula wrote:
Somehow I can't upload any photos as my avatar. Has anyone had similliar problem?


Yeah, the image uploading is buggy at the moment. This is a known problem, but we're working on some things that we feel are really important, and just haven't quite got round to fixing it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 18 2011 12:48 GMT
#836
On November 17 2011 08:15 VForce wrote:
I linked my memrise profile with my facebook profile so memrise just used my facebook picture. The thing is that I dont want that, but I cant put another picture there ( I get the same msg as Rimstalker). Is the only way to get rid of me fb picture to disable memrise in facebook again? It seems like other users have the problem of not being able to upload a picture as well. I tried .png and .jpg files with about 50-500 kb so size should not have been an issue.

Edit: just came across another issue. when doing my portugues word list everything is fine, if I do the "SAT essentials" everything is fine as long as I got every word perfectly right, if I make a spelling mistake the session freezes and I have to restart. Could it be that for some reason it takes the side more time/resources to check how much the word is wrong (ok i know that sounds wrong in itself but I dont have a better expression for it) and therefor at peaktimes crashes? Well whatever the reason its quite anoying, hope it can be fixed or if it is a result of to many users I will try to do the "SAT essentials" during another time of the day.


You're exactly right about this. When you get an answer obviously correct, the browser just tells you it's correct, and moves straight on. When you get it wrong, it has to check with the server, and do a load of lookups to see whether you typed something that we should consider correct anyway, or nearly correct, and under heavy load, that can have a delay.

We're doing 2 big things to improve this situation: avoid the roundtrip to the server by computing more in the browser, and generally improve performance on the site (server upgrades, optimizing bottlenecks etc.).
SWAT-Kat
Profile Joined July 2011
United States311 Posts
November 18 2011 21:15 GMT
#837
TL-SWAT-Kat learning French and Korean.
Perhaps at some point I'll start Mandarin and/or Japanese, maybe even Russian. They even have medical terms! (Why am I excited about that?) This site is so brilliant, yet so simple!
HerroPreaseTN
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway71 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 22:03:53
November 18 2011 21:58 GMT
#838
I was just playing some 2v2 with a German friend of mine and was trying to show off a bit of what I had learned from memrise. However, the response wasn't quite what I was expecting xD

The first word which was clearly wrong, was the German word "bezeichnen". According to memrise, it means "disguise" in English. However, the actual meaning of the word is that of "calling someone" or the likes. As I understood it, to shout "hey" to someone in order to attract their attention.

After checking some words with google translate, I came to find that a lot of the words were not ideally translated.

I REALLY love the site and the service it provides, but it's not really ideal if I have to control check every word I learn just to be sure if I was taught correctly. And if taught incorrectly, I would have to both unlearn the incorrect and then learn the correct word afterwards.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've come to understand the site is still in its early stages so this is not really something that will make me leave the beloved site. Checking extra for the time being is worth it <3

EDIT: I've started going through Norwegian and thus far found one word poorly translated (forrige - last: "previous" is far more correct than "last"). In case someone's learning Norwegian
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
November 18 2011 23:31 GMT
#839
On November 19 2011 06:58 HerroPreaseTN wrote:
I was just playing some 2v2 with a German friend of mine and was trying to show off a bit of what I had learned from memrise. However, the response wasn't quite what I was expecting xD

The first word which was clearly wrong, was the German word "bezeichnen". According to memrise, it means "disguise" in English. However, the actual meaning of the word is that of "calling someone" or the likes. As I understood it, to shout "hey" to someone in order to attract their attention.

After checking some words with google translate, I came to find that a lot of the words were not ideally translated.

I REALLY love the site and the service it provides, but it's not really ideal if I have to control check every word I learn just to be sure if I was taught correctly. And if taught incorrectly, I would have to both unlearn the incorrect and then learn the correct word afterwards.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've come to understand the site is still in its early stages so this is not really something that will make me leave the beloved site. Checking extra for the time being is worth it <3

EDIT: I've started going through Norwegian and thus far found one word poorly translated (forrige - last: "previous" is far more correct than "last"). In case someone's learning Norwegian


I think it depends mostly on the wordlist you are using. Different lists sometimes contain different translations. I noticed a bit of blatantly wrong stuff in one list that is correct in another that I started.
Forward
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 23:53:11
November 18 2011 23:44 GMT
#840
I noticed something similar with the Spanish words I am studying, the 'Basic Spanish' includes 'parado', which is given as 'standing', but really the meaning of it is in the direction of 'frozen' or 'in stasis', and the native Spanish speaker I asked told me no one uses it like that, it means 'unemployed'.

Some other problems with 'my' wordlist:

- inconsistencies with article/no article
- inconsistencies with declination: Some words are given as 'rubio/a', others are given as 'alumno' - 'student (masculin)'
- the sound files for some entries are mixed up (haber and tener I think were the two)

quality control is a bitch - are there any plans to reward that kind of stuff? In any case, I think I would be willing to pay money to get really good wordlists. Or maybe at least give a quick and painless way to flag an entry for review, and reviewing and editing gives extra rewards.
Here be Dragons
Prev 1 40 41 42 43 44 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 258
MaxPax 211
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 65738
Calm 4028
Shuttle 3399
Bisu 1746
FanTaSy 1517
EffOrt 703
Mini 594
Soma 479
Rush 448
Stork 340
[ Show more ]
Light 272
firebathero 255
Hyuk 235
Snow 204
ZerO 160
Soulkey 128
Barracks 111
actioN 110
Zeus 85
Last 80
Killer 70
Dewaltoss 68
hero 64
Mong 57
Sea.KH 54
Pusan 50
Hyun 43
Shinee 41
Bale 37
Free 36
ToSsGirL 31
Shine 29
Yoon 23
PianO 21
Sharp 21
Aegong 20
zelot 20
sorry 18
yabsab 16
HiyA 12
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7380
Dendi841
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1369
kRYSTAL_99
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko449
crisheroes287
Other Games
gofns54145
singsing2157
B2W.Neo722
hiko428
byalli270
DeMusliM250
Hui .190
Livibee186
Liquid`VortiX131
Mew2King78
Rex53
ZerO(Twitch)14
Trikslyr5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV250
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1494
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 11m
Replay Cast
8h 56m
OSC
1d 8h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 19h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.