• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:51
CEST 09:51
KST 16:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9427 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 43

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 69 Next
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
November 19 2011 00:57 GMT
#841
This is actually really cool.
TL-Retgery(Japanese, German, maybe french)
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
pushthebutton
Profile Joined August 2011
12 Posts
November 19 2011 01:45 GMT
#842
just started aswell, thx for the tip TL

trying to get some understanding of mandarin and improve my english vocabulary, would like to do more but thats the best i can do atm

and yeah the wordlists are not all that great, maybe that'll fix itself as the site's gettin more popular and more people actually contribute.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
November 19 2011 15:12 GMT
#843
I've started doing Japanese at the N-1/N-2 level and will be doing some Spanish. I'm also doing a comprehensive review of Chinese characters.

If anyone would be interested in maintaining some vocal lists with me, I'd be interested.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Faruep
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Germany100 Posts
November 19 2011 15:28 GMT
#844
On November 19 2011 06:58 HerroPreaseTN wrote:
I was just playing some 2v2 with a German friend of mine and was trying to show off a bit of what I had learned from memrise. However, the response wasn't quite what I was expecting xD

The first word which was clearly wrong, was the German word "bezeichnen". According to memrise, it means "disguise" in English. However, the actual meaning of the word is that of "calling someone" or the likes. As I understood it, to shout "hey" to someone in order to attract their attention.

After checking some words with google translate, I came to find that a lot of the words were not ideally translated.

I REALLY love the site and the service it provides, but it's not really ideal if I have to control check every word I learn just to be sure if I was taught correctly. And if taught incorrectly, I would have to both unlearn the incorrect and then learn the correct word afterwards.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've come to understand the site is still in its early stages so this is not really something that will make me leave the beloved site. Checking extra for the time being is worth it <3

EDIT: I've started going through Norwegian and thus far found one word poorly translated (forrige - last: "previous" is far more correct than "last"). In case someone's learning Norwegian


"bezeichnen" means to give something a name or an adjective, or to identify something as characteristic.
for example:
"Er hat ihn als Schwein bezeichnet" - "He called him a pig"
That use is quite formal though, when speaking to a buddy of yours you would not use it but rather say "Er hat ihn ein Schwein genannt".

For example sport journalistst often say "Dieser Fehler ist bezeichnend für ihre gesamte Leistung in diesem Spiel."
it means "This mistake is characteristic for their entire effort in this match."

Hope I could help..^^

HerroPreaseTN
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway71 Posts
November 19 2011 15:53 GMT
#845
You taught me something and prevented my post from misleading others, so yes, it was very helpful. Thanks =)
Djin)ftw(
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Germany3357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 18:30:28
November 19 2011 16:00 GMT
#846
Another bug, when you finished learning all the words in a word list you can still plant new seeds. Of course they are words one already knows t.t

I definitely want a "Congrats. There are no more words to be learned in this list. Try another one!" or something like that.

Btw: fuck yeah I can finally read Cyrillic. I started learning Russian in the 8th grade or so, and now, like 15 years later, I finally did it and learned this retarded alphabet. Whooooooaaaaa

€: I'd also like to group the plants in my garden. I mean come now, what is this? Just a collection of plants?
Now that i realized that you can categorize chinese characters by the the radicals they depend on I want to group them that way. You know, to see how many radicals i already know and what words/characters I can build.
"jk CLG best mindgames using the baron to counterthrow" - boesthius
SWAT-Kat
Profile Joined July 2011
United States311 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 19:54:33
November 19 2011 19:49 GMT
#847
On November 20 2011 01:00 Djin)ftw( wrote:
Btw: fuck yeah I can finally read Cyrillic. I started learning Russian in the 8th grade or so, and now, like 15 years later, I finally did it and learned this retarded alphabet. Whooooooaaaaa


Haha, coming from a Roman alphabet, Cyrillic is definitely confusing. "All the P's are actually R's and all the B's are actually V's, let alone all the crazy new letters! WTF?!" When I took a semester of Russian, I distinctly remember feeling as if my brain was imploding.

Also, my professor told us to make sure we don't write "срать" whenever we meant "спать". "спать" is the Russian word for "to sleep" and is pronounced "spaht". However, if one makes the all-too-common beginner error and writes a Roman alphabet "p" instead, suddenly it becomes "срать", which is pronounced "sraht" and means "to shit/defecate". LOL
VincentNew
Profile Joined November 2011
9 Posts
November 20 2011 14:08 GMT
#848
Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 20 2011 15:25 GMT
#849
On November 20 2011 01:00 Djin)ftw( wrote:
€: I'd also like to group the plants in my garden. I mean come now, what is this? Just a collection of plants?
Now that i realized that you can categorize chinese characters by the the radicals they depend on I want to group them that way. You know, to see how many radicals i already know and what words/characters I can build.


[Memrise co-founder here]

That is a great idea. We have this really rich dependency graph of all the words in Chinese (and eventually other languages) that help you learn other words, but we aren't really visualizing it yet. It's a little way off before we'll be able to build this, but it would definitely be cool.
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 20 2011 15:31 GMT
#850
On November 20 2011 00:28 Faruep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 06:58 HerroPreaseTN wrote:
I was just playing some 2v2 with a German friend of mine and was trying to show off a bit of what I had learned from memrise. However, the response wasn't quite what I was expecting xD

The first word which was clearly wrong, was the German word "bezeichnen". According to memrise, it means "disguise" in English. However, the actual meaning of the word is that of "calling someone" or the likes. As I understood it, to shout "hey" to someone in order to attract their attention.

After checking some words with google translate, I came to find that a lot of the words were not ideally translated.

I REALLY love the site and the service it provides, but it's not really ideal if I have to control check every word I learn just to be sure if I was taught correctly. And if taught incorrectly, I would have to both unlearn the incorrect and then learn the correct word afterwards.

Unless I'm mistaken, I've come to understand the site is still in its early stages so this is not really something that will make me leave the beloved site. Checking extra for the time being is worth it <3

EDIT: I've started going through Norwegian and thus far found one word poorly translated (forrige - last: "previous" is far more correct than "last"). In case someone's learning Norwegian


"bezeichnen" means to give something a name or an adjective, or to identify something as characteristic.
for example:
"Er hat ihn als Schwein bezeichnet" - "He called him a pig"
That use is quite formal though, when speaking to a buddy of yours you would not use it but rather say "Er hat ihn ein Schwein genannt".

For example sport journalistst often say "Dieser Fehler ist bezeichnend für ihre gesamte Leistung in diesem Spiel."
it means "This mistake is characteristic for their entire effort in this match."

Hope I could help..^^



[Memrise co-founder here]

We're working very hard to improve quality control, but we know we have a lot of work to do. We'd love to include you in the effort - you could start by posting a comment on the word page. We read those pretty carefully, and make changes as soon as we can. Eventually, if you wanted to become an official volunteer, you'll get permissions to edit and curate more widely. Drop ben@memrise.com a line if you're interested.
VForce
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany90 Posts
November 20 2011 15:46 GMT
#851
First of all I really like it that nearly every question or concern in this topic is adressed by gregdetre, but one thing i am still curious about (I hope i did not miss the answer in that case I am really sorry): Did this topic on TL and all the new user it generated made a noticable impact on the site? If so how much was it ? I know its not really "useful" information its more along the lines of "TL is awesome, right? RIGHT?" .
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 21 2011 02:10 GMT
#852
On November 21 2011 00:46 VForce wrote:
First of all I really like it that nearly every question or concern in this topic is adressed by gregdetre, but one thing i am still curious about (I hope i did not miss the answer in that case I am really sorry): Did this topic on TL and all the new user it generated made a noticable impact on the site? If so how much was it ? I know its not really "useful" information its more along the lines of "TL is awesome, right? RIGHT?" .


Ha! TL is definitely awesome. It's been a real pleasure talking to you guys.

In answer to your question, you have definitely made a noticeable impact. We've had a huge amount of really concentrated feedback, your ideas have prompted us to add a half-dozen new features, there are 10+ TL players in this month's top 100 learners, and you've got us really excited about improving our next batch of languages (including Korean, of course)!

Djin)ftw(
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Germany3357 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-21 10:50:30
November 21 2011 10:40 GMT
#853
There is so much potential in this site. I can already see memrise being used in schools. It is just so much more rewarding to learn a vocabulary. I mean, you take this boring thing that everyone has to do: understanding the meaning of unknown words and memorizing it. And you make a game out of it so it's not boring anymore. Ingenious.

Hopefully it will be possible sometime to be tested on pronunciation as well.

Anyway, is there a way to make a donation?
+ Show Spoiler +

"How is Memrise going to make money in the future?

Our investors often ask us the same question. We've no idea.

One possibility we’re considering is that Memrise users might upgrade to Memrise+ for a small fee -say, $5 a month. Memrise+ would be identical to the normal site, except that we'd like you more."


Why don't you offer it already? I'd be perfectly willing to pay 10€/month even it's not perfect yet, given the benefit the site provides me that's laughable. Coming to think of it, I wanted to donate something to wikipedia as well

€: coming to think of it, you can probably teach people a programming language that way too, lol! The user has 5 minutes to write a for loop, than the code is uploaded, compiled and tested and if the result is correct, BAM 500 points. god I love this site xD
"jk CLG best mindgames using the baron to counterthrow" - boesthius
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
November 21 2011 11:18 GMT
#854
Still loving it eventhough I haven't used it the last few days as much.. For me the most important thing that I miss is still the fact that if you type something wrong, you get to see what it should have been, but I miss something showing me what I actually typed. Just now I was certain I typed "Satakymennen" but it was wrong, it showed me "Satakymennen".. I must have made a typo of some sort, but I would really like to see what that was..
FireIceLight
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland6 Posts
November 21 2011 14:04 GMT
#855
Ty for the link, been trying the germany althought ive been very busy lately and havent had much time
TL-FireIceLight
luminous90
Profile Joined November 2010
14 Posts
November 22 2011 01:18 GMT
#856
Hey guys, I just got into this yesterday and its been awesome so far! The leaderboard has really motivated me to pile up the word count and I cant wait to see what kind of outcome this will have in a month or two months.

It would be great if this thread could become a "log" of how we are all progressing through our respective languages.

Also, all of you should contribute ways in which we can expand learning outside of the site such as:

1)Listening to french music. I just got spotify as well, and if you know who to look for you can certainly find some great music in your language!
2)Wikipedia. Most languages have a wikipedia in that language, and reading an article a day, as slowly as it takes, will add up just as quickly as learning these words from memrise!

On that note, id love for all of you guys to push yourselves on this site, whenever you have a free minute and youre not doing anything is a great chance to sneak in a test and refresh that brain!

TL-Stas
Chaoz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States507 Posts
November 22 2011 01:47 GMT
#857
This is nice. Hopefully they'll add an advanced option since I know the basics to the language I want to learn.
520
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2822 Posts
November 22 2011 19:51 GMT
#858
I added TL- to my handle. I'm 4th place!
Writer
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
November 24 2011 11:04 GMT
#859
Hey all,
I found this neat site and I wanted to share it with you all.. http://www.digitaldialects.com/
This site has spoken excersises for a lot of languages! I know some wordlists at memrise support audio, but it's only limited to a few languages. This site might help you with pronounciation of the languages that are currently still in development at memrise! Good luck!
NinjaPeppers
Profile Joined November 2011
Australia4 Posts
November 24 2011 11:13 GMT
#860
I couldn't find Korean in there... makes me sad.
Such is life, failure is unavoidable.
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3569
Soma 204
Rush 193
Mong 92
Killer 89
ToSsGirL 85
Shinee 0
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss271
byalli4
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King129
Other Games
summit1g7830
WinterStarcraft591
ceh9566
olofmeister519
Happy332
dupreeh234
Sick181
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2285
League of Legends
• Stunt448
Other Games
• Shiphtur631
Upcoming Events
OSC
15h 9m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 2h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.