• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:55
CEST 21:55
KST 04:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8793 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 40

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 69 Next
phyren
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1067 Posts
November 14 2011 18:23 GMT
#781
Something fun that could be added would be a way to compare between others learning your same language. Perhaps not a full leaderboard for each language, but maybe just a way of highlighting the ranks of others with overlapping word lists or languages. This could encourage new players to bring in friends with an interest in the same language and compete with people they know in real life. It would also encourage people to try to learn a "different" language. By this I mean, it seems as though many people learn a few core groups of languages. Almost everyone I've seen has some sort of english vocabulary list. Offering players a way to feel they are the top of a group would have the side effect of encouraging them to join groups that are currently small and thus possible to dominate. This would also help to get people voluntarily testing any new lists or languages.
VForce
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany90 Posts
November 14 2011 20:03 GMT
#782
On November 15 2011 03:23 phyren wrote:
Something fun that could be added would be a way to compare between others learning your same language. Perhaps not a full leaderboard for each language, but maybe just a way of highlighting the ranks of others with overlapping word lists or languages. This could encourage new players to bring in friends with an interest in the same language and compete with people they know in real life. It would also encourage people to try to learn a "different" language. By this I mean, it seems as though many people learn a few core groups of languages. Almost everyone I've seen has some sort of english vocabulary list. Offering players a way to feel they are the top of a group would have the side effect of encouraging them to join groups that are currently small and thus possible to dominate. This would also help to get people voluntarily testing any new lists or languages.


That is a really good idea in my opinion. So far there is little content for portugues, which is what I am learning at the moment. Seeing people who are learning from the same lists would probably encourage me to create some word lists as I could see how many people would theoretically be interested in them.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post is, that I really enjoy that there is the possibility to just use 1-4 on your keyboard to select the multiple choice answers. That was not possible with the learning software I used a couple of years ago and really helps to get into a "flow". Or you could just say hotkeys > mouse
drwiggles
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada19 Posts
November 14 2011 20:13 GMT
#783
I love this thing. I'm learning to speak cantonese so I've been creating my own word lists and playing this game to help me mesmerize how to say them. Super fun and great interface.
HerroPreaseTN
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Norway71 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 12:08:53
November 15 2011 09:53 GMT
#784
Thank you so much for posting this here! Now I can finally start learning languages I've wanted to know for a while now. Luckily I still have my German Grammar books from High School (at which time I didn't pay attention). This thread and that site has improved my life! =D

EDIT: And I'm signed up as TL-ABetterDay
Doctorasul
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Romania1145 Posts
November 15 2011 10:34 GMT
#785
I've started learning mandarin, ignoring pronounciation so far. I'm signed up as TL-Doctorasul.

The site seems to be down for me today. Is anyone else getting this?
"I believe in Spinoza's god who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 15 2011 13:46 GMT
#786
On November 15 2011 19:34 Doctorasul wrote:
I've started learning mandarin, ignoring pronounciation so far. I'm signed up as TL-Doctorasul.

The site seems to be down for me today. Is anyone else getting this?


Ack, sorry about that - I pushed a slightly broken build. Should have been fixed a few minutes afterwards. We have a pretty comprehensive test suite, but you know what they say... 'as soon as you make something foolproof, someone comes along and invents a better fool'. That would be me.
-swordguy
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States560 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 17:31:12
November 15 2011 17:25 GMT
#787
Has anyone else been experiencing some delays in between words and also after completing a session? Normally there is a slight but understandable delay but now it will sometimes get up to 10 seconds and the screen after a session will be white and I will have to keep reloading the page.
Edit: Of course as I post that the site speeds up.
I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country - Nathan Hale Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once - William Shakespeare, ‘’Julius Caesar’’
Tanner
Profile Joined October 2010
United States38 Posts
November 15 2011 18:12 GMT
#788
Great game! Now I don't have to use flash card anymore!

TL-Tanner (Korean)
Doctorasul
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Romania1145 Posts
November 15 2011 18:45 GMT
#789
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!
"I believe in Spinoza's god who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein
ShesSoHeavy
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada15 Posts
November 15 2011 18:56 GMT
#790
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Show nested quote +
Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy
ShesSoHeavy
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada15 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 19:25:11
November 15 2011 19:18 GMT
#791
On November 16 2011 03:56 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy


I just checked, and I seem to be able to navigate the site fine (albeit a bit slowly) until I try to log in. Once I log in, I always get that Oops error. So it seems like my account is broken somehow. Greg, I hope you can fix this before my memories shrivel and my precious time and effort goes to waste!

Edit: whoops double post...
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 19:36:46
November 15 2011 19:36 GMT
#792
Hey guys, what has been changed? I am suddenly in the top 50. I am shocked.
-swordguy
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States560 Posts
November 15 2011 19:41 GMT
#793
On November 16 2011 04:36 Hemula wrote:
Hey guys, what has been changed? I am suddenly in the top 50. I am shocked.

You can compare your results to everyone or to people who signed up the same time as you.
I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country - Nathan Hale Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once - William Shakespeare, ‘’Julius Caesar’’
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
November 15 2011 19:46 GMT
#794
On November 16 2011 04:41 -swordguy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 04:36 Hemula wrote:
Hey guys, what has been changed? I am suddenly in the top 50. I am shocked.

You can compare your results to everyone or to people who signed up the same time as you.

Haha ok. I am still 4200+~ , LOL.

But I like the idea. Makes me feel better. :3
I think I will keep the *cohort* option on.
Jayjay54
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2296 Posts
November 15 2011 19:55 GMT
#795
On November 16 2011 04:18 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 03:56 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy


I just checked, and I seem to be able to navigate the site fine (albeit a bit slowly) until I try to log in. Once I log in, I always get that Oops error. So it seems like my account is broken somehow. Greg, I hope you can fix this before my memories shrivel and my precious time and effort goes to waste!

Edit: whoops double post...


so there's actually guys who can log in right now? thought this was a global thing. my account is broken too then. TL-Jayjay
Things are laid back in Unidenland. And may the road ahead be lid with dreams and tomorrows. Which are lid with dreams. Also.
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
November 15 2011 20:03 GMT
#796
On November 16 2011 04:55 Jayjay54 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 04:18 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:56 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy


I just checked, and I seem to be able to navigate the site fine (albeit a bit slowly) until I try to log in. Once I log in, I always get that Oops error. So it seems like my account is broken somehow. Greg, I hope you can fix this before my memories shrivel and my precious time and effort goes to waste!

Edit: whoops double post...


so there's actually guys who can log in right now? thought this was a global thing. my account is broken too then. TL-Jayjay

Works fine for me.

+ Show Spoiler +
Guess who taken the first place?

10 words learned
6,641 correct tests
166,058 points.

WTF.

So. Does farming actually works?
Like watering the plants you already know?
Jayjay54
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2296 Posts
November 15 2011 20:52 GMT
#797
deleted cookies, logged in again, works like a charm.
Things are laid back in Unidenland. And may the road ahead be lid with dreams and tomorrows. Which are lid with dreams. Also.
driftme
Profile Joined June 2010
United States360 Posts
November 15 2011 21:08 GMT
#798
TL-driftme

just started
Jayjay54
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2296 Posts
November 15 2011 21:12 GMT
#799
On November 16 2011 05:03 Hemula wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 04:55 Jayjay54 wrote:
On November 16 2011 04:18 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:56 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy


I just checked, and I seem to be able to navigate the site fine (albeit a bit slowly) until I try to log in. Once I log in, I always get that Oops error. So it seems like my account is broken somehow. Greg, I hope you can fix this before my memories shrivel and my precious time and effort goes to waste!

Edit: whoops double post...


so there's actually guys who can log in right now? thought this was a global thing. my account is broken too then. TL-Jayjay

Works fine for me.

+ Show Spoiler +
Guess who taken the first place?

10 words learned
6,641 correct tests
166,058 points.

WTF.

So. Does farming actually works?
Like watering the plants you already know?


if you farm in a language learning game, you may need to revaluate your life. it's like the teacher said, you learn for life and not for school
Things are laid back in Unidenland. And may the road ahead be lid with dreams and tomorrows. Which are lid with dreams. Also.
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
November 15 2011 21:43 GMT
#800
On November 16 2011 06:12 Jayjay54 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:03 Hemula wrote:
On November 16 2011 04:55 Jayjay54 wrote:
On November 16 2011 04:18 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:56 ShesSoHeavy wrote:
On November 16 2011 03:45 Doctorasul wrote:
Thanks for the reply gregdetre and thank you for an awesome tool!
This is the message I'm getting on the dashboard and community pages:

Oops
Something has gone wrong. We're busily sacrificing an engineer to fix things as quickly as we can.

Sorry about this.

Don't hesitate to get in touch (info@memrise.com) if we can help.

Would be great if it'd be up and running again soon. Could it be an IP issue? The error only seems to be happenning to some of us. I get the same message on Chrome and IE, using different computers.

Thanks again!


I'm getting the same thing - user name is TL-ShesSoHeavy


I just checked, and I seem to be able to navigate the site fine (albeit a bit slowly) until I try to log in. Once I log in, I always get that Oops error. So it seems like my account is broken somehow. Greg, I hope you can fix this before my memories shrivel and my precious time and effort goes to waste!

Edit: whoops double post...


so there's actually guys who can log in right now? thought this was a global thing. my account is broken too then. TL-Jayjay

Works fine for me.

+ Show Spoiler +
Guess who taken the first place?

10 words learned
6,641 correct tests
166,058 points.

WTF.

So. Does farming actually works?
Like watering the plants you already know?


if you farm in a language learning game, you may need to revaluate your life. it's like the teacher said, you learn for life and not for school


So Lame... that's why you should do a words learned monthly/ daily/ etc leader board as well as the points leader board imo. The #1 guy right now, Dee1989, is 342 all time versus my 1240ish all time with a hundred or more words less learned. So, I think words learned leader board would be more of an achievement board. Also, I think it would be neat to have a friends list, so if your friends aren't in the top 100, you can still keep up on them pretty easily, see what word lists they are using, etc.
Prev 1 38 39 40 41 42 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 624
ProTech133
UpATreeSC 126
Nina 76
JuggernautJason51
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28860
Calm 2611
Mini 160
firebathero 117
Dewaltoss 101
soO 58
NaDa 29
HiyA 26
Bale 25
PianO 16
[ Show more ]
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6820
XaKoH 384
monkeys_forever77
canceldota28
League of Legends
Doublelift1657
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1554
fl0m1434
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu730
Other Games
FrodaN2057
Beastyqt605
B2W.Neo418
mouzStarbuck365
Livibee188
ToD157
C9.Mang0150
KnowMe142
Trikslyr123
RotterdaM108
Mew2King49
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki37
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1053
• Shiphtur739
• WagamamaTV245
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 21m
Replay Cast
3h 6m
OSC
1d 3h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 14h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.