• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:52
CEST 09:52
KST 16:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9489 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 39

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 69 Next
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
November 12 2011 09:25 GMT
#761
On November 12 2011 18:18 ther wrote:
How many new words do you learn at a time? The system gives you seven, but you have the opportunity to learn another seven and so on...


It depends how much free time I have and the drive to keep up with it. I did 260 words this week and have invested about an hour a day. I plan to, on average, do an hour a day per week.

I keep planting new seeds until I get bored or feel like it's time to revise and just spend as much time as necessary to master at least 90% of the words I planted.
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
November 12 2011 22:37 GMT
#762
Question: I'm just noticing this as I'm branching out to find a new wordlist to learn and see that with wordlists that I haven't even touched have words in the green house already, but does the website remove words you've already seen from other wordlists so you only focus on learning new material and revising old material?
nebula.
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Sweden1431 Posts
November 12 2011 22:47 GMT
#763
i used this for a while and found it funny for a couple of days. however, they need to fix some kind of sound challenge on mandarin so there's not only pinyin/sign challenges. that would be gold.
I miss you July ~~~ I was in PonyTales #7 wooho!
iMYoonA
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia462 Posts
November 13 2011 00:48 GMT
#764
On November 12 2011 18:18 ther wrote:
How many new words do you learn at a time? The system gives you seven, but you have the opportunity to learn another seven and so on...


i try to learn 30-40 words a day, and harvest in the same day. 7 is too easy to remember.

as i haven't even learnt hangul properly, i havent really bothered with korean for a while, ive been doing lessons from talktomeinkorean first, then plan to use memrise for vocab later - i didnt realise it was this hard when you're an ABSOLUTE beginner lol

oh and i always try to make top 5 as well :D
*yoona | taeyeon | jiyeon | na eun | cho rong | IU | nana | suzy | yejin*
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
November 13 2011 16:24 GMT
#765
I've been learning words from SAT Essential here and there, around 190 so far. Feels nice to broaden my vocabulary.
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 13 2011 22:49 GMT
#766
On November 13 2011 07:37 Babyfactory wrote:
Question: I'm just noticing this as I'm branching out to find a new wordlist to learn and see that with wordlists that I haven't even touched have words in the green house already, but does the website remove words you've already seen from other wordlists so you only focus on learning new material and revising old material?


[Memrise co-founder here]

This is a great question. The short answer is that our spaced repetition algorithm operates happily across wordlists.

I haven't tried to explain it in writing before, so let me know if this makes sense to you.

We build a model of how well you know each word. A word can live in multiple wordlists. So if you've learned it in one wordlist, and then start learning another, then we know it's already been planted, or harvested, or is wilting. So when you start the new wordlist, we'll automatically intermingle new and old words, focusing on words you don't know so well. So we don't 'remove' the words you already know, but they will probably get tested less.

Phew. That was kind of a wordy explanation of a simple idea. Basically, you can learn multiple overlapping wordlists, and everything should just work!
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 13 2011 22:50 GMT
#767
On November 13 2011 07:47 tsilaicos wrote:
i used this for a while and found it funny for a couple of days. however, they need to fix some kind of sound challenge on mandarin so there's not only pinyin/sign challenges. that would be gold.


Hey there tsilaicos,

It's funny you should mention that. We're prototyping a new mini-game to help learn to distinguish Mandarin tones. Would you be interested in being one of our beta testers?
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 13 2011 22:53 GMT
#768
On November 12 2011 17:24 Babyfactory wrote:
I just finished the Beginning Spanish... time to attack the Intermediate Spanish and all the word lists pertaining to verbs.

It's unbelievably convenient to have a site with "premade" flash cards and tests.


[Memrise co-founder here]

Hey Babyfactory,

I'm learning Spanish too, and I was psyched to realize that someone added a load of intermediate words for reading Harry Potter in Spanish, which is something I've been trying to do. I've been really enjoying it, and adding mems as I go - maybe you'll get a kick out of it too.

http://www.memrise.com/set/10001999/harry-potter/

g
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 13 2011 23:24 GMT
#769
On November 12 2011 03:21 DarkSider wrote:
Another quick bug:


In the leaderboard if you're not listed in top 100 your rank is displayed as the amount of ppl in the leaderboard (4850) instead your real rank


[Memrise co-founder here]

Ack, good point. We'll try and fix that soon.

I figure you guys know more about game design than pretty much anyone else, so can I throw a general question out to the floor.

Our leaderboards are getting pretty intimidating - I have a hard time getting in the top 50, even on the daily list. Do you have any ideas for how we could restructure or scope them to be friendlier to new users?
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-13 23:51:46
November 13 2011 23:49 GMT
#770
On November 14 2011 08:24 gregdetre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2011 03:21 DarkSider wrote:
Another quick bug:


In the leaderboard if you're not listed in top 100 your rank is displayed as the amount of ppl in the leaderboard (4850) instead your real rank


[Memrise co-founder here]

Ack, good point. We'll try and fix that soon.

I figure you guys know more about game design than pretty much anyone else, so can I throw a general question out to the floor.

Our leaderboards are getting pretty intimidating - I have a hard time getting in the top 50, even on the daily list. Do you have any ideas for how we could restructure or scope them to be friendlier to new users?


Firstly, don't change the global leaderboard - I only started a few days ago and it was really satisfying to see my rank shoot up 1000s every day, and if the leaderboards are "scoped", it takes away some of its legitimacy, therefore removing some of the drive to compete. It's still perfectly possible to reach the daily leaderboard, even with only 30 minutes of practice.

However, it is possible to get points waaaaay too quickly simply by watering healthy plants that you already know off by heart. It might be possible to balance the points system so that players are encouraged to at least take on a few new words every day. One way of doing this is to give huge bonuses when a user performs a successful harvest on the first X words of the day, and by drastically reducing the points given for words that have been successfully recognised over Y times. That way, those who get into the leaderboard would be those who are learning the most words with the greatest accuracy.

For game design that appeals to anyone, you'll want to introduce non-competitive gameplay elements, as competitive play can be intimidating to certain types of people. For instance, an RPG experience might be a good bet, where "grinding" gives psychologically satisfying rewards. Obviously memrise already has this to a degree, as it used this idea of "harvesting plants" and preventing them from "wilting". If you've never played World of Warcraft (or farmville, which memrise seems to imitate to an extent) you'd be amazed at what tedium players will willingly put up with for hours on end, just to reach the next level or get a new piece of kit.

Google "behavioural game design". There are articles that discuss all the possible player motivations, and it might contain some ideas.
Sayn
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden3 Posts
November 14 2011 00:43 GMT
#771
Well, this seems interesting. Perfect timing for me, too, since I'm learning mandarin in school. Shall try this out as practice.
AndersR.
Profile Joined June 2011
Denmark16 Posts
November 14 2011 01:55 GMT
#772
this is like really cool and actually pretty damned addictive
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
November 14 2011 03:22 GMT
#773
Thanks, this has been pretty awesome so far!
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
November 14 2011 09:04 GMT
#774
I agree with TheUltimate on the leaderboard issue.
If I would really want to shoot up the leaderboard, I could just keep watering my 80 harvested spanish plants and I would be on top in no time. TheUltimate proposes a bonus for harvesting the first X plants each day and diminish point income from plants that don't need water at all. I fully support this, as it would 'fix' the leaderboard a lot more, and would really encourage those competetive memriseplayers (lol) to learn new words

A fair leaderboard can't really be easy to get on top to for newcomers, they simply know too little (or in terms of most games - they have too little skill, and need to train on that).

My experience is though, that with limited amount of time, I still see myself rise in rank really quickly, without too much effort (only did 180 words this week). I think achievements (and titles?) are a great way to get newcomers to motivate newcomers.
Gamerah
Profile Joined May 2010
United States85 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-14 09:43:51
November 14 2011 09:29 GMT
#775
TL_Gamerah ,sounds like a pretty cool way to study for my chinese class as well. i'll give it a shot

Edit: Okay i can definitely see why this would be addictive.
Follow in the footsteps of others, until you are good enough to make footsteps of your own.
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
November 14 2011 16:09 GMT
#776
Another idea for Leaderboard: Make also a "How many leards learnt" and "Correct testresults (%) of new words". So there´s the main Leaderboard for the grinders () and the other both leaderboards reward learning expecially good or much.
Imagine how hard you would try to remember if you want to be on the TOP 100 Correct testresults on newly learnd word

Also another thing about gamedesign and visual design: People love to see their progress and be able to show this. They are proud and want to enlarge whatever they have.
So, it´s a garden, which is a good idea. But at the moment I am more happy about the amount of words I learnt than about my garden (I am pretty happy actually even with this, but there is potential).
My dream would be: You can "visit" your own and other´s garden, and what you see is the following:
Every language has it´s own visual "theme", and the more words are learnt, the more flowers are there. Whole image, whole garden full with flowers = 100% of available words (not wordlists - should work with your algorithm). China would have many nice traditional wooden houses as decoration for example. The ability to put notes or awards in the picture (This is the place where I got TOP 100 / With this word I finished my first 2000 words) would also be nice, especially for visitors.
It has not to be much work: Maybe 1 generall picture per language and 3-4 different sets for the progress (0%-25%-...) and the plants are not all plants that were learned, but for example 1 plant = 20 plants learnt from 10.october - 12 october. And you can watch every word when you klick the plant.

Erm... Maybe I got lost in the details a little bit. But I hope that the generall idea still remains^^
3 Ladderboards and more visuall feedback together with more ability to show off
VForce
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany90 Posts
November 14 2011 16:56 GMT
#777
Using memrise now for about a week to learn portugues (brazilian), and so far it has been really fun. Thank you for recommending it here. As a german nativ speaker it can sometimes be a bit tough to lern a new language "in english" but I understand that there is no real way around it at the moment.
I noticed a lot of TL people in the leaderboards and was wondering if the topic on this site made a significant impact on the user numbers.
As for gamedesign ideas: I think achievments are a good idea (although I dont care about them as much). I noticed something like "15 in a row correct" during one session but I dont think it is displayed later on somewhere in my profile (at least not that I have noticed). The idea to "farm" point through watering never occured to me I am an "honest" planter and harvester but from other peoples post it seems like it is a "viable strategy" (lol) so a more refined point system could make things more balanced :D .

SwEEt[TearS]
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1575 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-14 17:05:23
November 14 2011 17:05 GMT
#778
TL-Sweettears, started yesterday taking up german/italian/mandarin. I've dabbled with all of them a bit previously (especially german since I went to Germany twice, but I long forgot half of what I learned on my own) so I'm doing pretty good. Italian's pretty easy for me since I'm from a French background so a lot of the words look/sound the same.

hardest part for me is remembering the pinyin for mandarin, ffs. there's not much emphasis on what tone you use other than the "word#" next to the translation so it's hard to remember if you're not paying attention.
#1 arb fan -- Raelcun is Nuclear backwards. Rekrul is Lurker backwards. Grobyc is Cyborg backwards. Eniram is Marine backwards.
-Otter
Profile Joined August 2011
6 Posts
November 14 2011 17:54 GMT
#779
Site's been slow to respond lately. Just now it seemed to freeze after I submitted an answer and wouldn't come back even after several minutes, so I had to close the tab.

It's worth mentioning that inconveniences and delays like this break gamers right out of the habit you're trying to get them into. The first time I get annoyed by this sort of lag, I'm just done with that session, and it'll be longer before I come back to start a new one.

The first night I tried it, it was fast and I couldn't stop marathonning word sets. Now it's slow and it feels like work.
TheAngryZergling
Profile Joined January 2011
United States387 Posts
November 14 2011 18:07 GMT
#780
On November 14 2011 07:50 gregdetre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 13 2011 07:47 tsilaicos wrote:
i used this for a while and found it funny for a couple of days. however, they need to fix some kind of sound challenge on mandarin so there's not only pinyin/sign challenges. that would be gold.


Hey there tsilaicos,

It's funny you should mention that. We're prototyping a new mini-game to help learn to distinguish Mandarin tones. Would you be interested in being one of our beta testers?


I too was wishing for such a feature. I'd be willing to help assuming its not overly time intensive.
Everything in life is most clearly explained through a Starcraft analogy.
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3569
Soma 204
Rush 193
Mong 92
Killer 89
ToSsGirL 85
Shinee 0
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss271
byalli4
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King129
Other Games
summit1g7830
WinterStarcraft591
ceh9566
olofmeister519
Happy332
dupreeh234
Sick181
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2285
League of Legends
• Stunt448
Other Games
• Shiphtur631
Upcoming Events
OSC
15h 9m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 2h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.