• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:51
CEST 23:51
KST 06:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War335.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7946 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 26

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 69 Next
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 17:09:48
November 08 2011 17:08 GMT
#501
On November 09 2011 02:01 Tomcattomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2011 01:54 EtohEtoh wrote:
how far will this actually get you?
i just did a bit of the german, maybe some more later, but it doesn't seem to me like becoming a dictionary of a certain language will ever be useful if you don't know how to actually speak the language


Vocabulary is the foundation of any language. When you first start learning a language the "real" way, you are given a list of words to Memrise; actually learning the nuances (grammar) and flow of the language is supposed to come after (or during) the process of learning vocabulary.

Basically vocabulary are the minerals, and grammar is the gas. But you can still build some units with just the minerals.


Nice allogery!:D

I would add that you need very much muscle memory to be actually fluent in a language - so, like everytime - Practise practise practise;)
fofa2000
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada548 Posts
November 08 2011 17:08 GMT
#502
A good complement with Livemocha :D.
-smells likes tasty soup, what's the menu?-fresh jaedong style marine stew served with a glass of dragoon slush!-The food's any good?Quite unusual names, never heard-all my food's good, the kitchen's this way-btw whatu terarn doing alone in a zerg colony?
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 08 2011 17:11 GMT
#503
On November 09 2011 01:09 GTo7_Panda wrote:
@ Gred Detre: One more suggestion (has been mentioned already I think):

It would be awesome If I could choose one demand, which are the next words I will get as seeds. My current situation: I am living in Italy, coming from Germany, and there are many new worlds surrounding my. I could use a wordbook to learn them, but memrise is awesome. But right now I have to wait to get the words I desire randomly - which will take some time, considering Italian intermediate has 2700+ words. Also I don´t want to make a new wordlist, since I don´t like to get the words double later when using two wordlists and also the words are already there.

So, in short: A feature to search the words in the wordlist and being able to choose some as next seeds.

Thanks for answering again!

Also one question: Does moving while learning really help? Have been told so;)


Re choosing which words come up next: that is a great suggestion, and it's been on our roadmap for a while. I can't promise it'll happen soon, but your vote has definitely bumped it up the list.

In the meantime, here's what I'd say - create a new wordlist. It's really easy to do, and the system is smart about realizing that you already know the same word across multiple lists, so you won't end up learning each word twice.

Re moving while learning: hah! I don't know if I've heard that. I can imagine it would get the blood flowing, which is always good. Perhaps more importantly, there is lots of of evidence that learning in different contexts (e.g. different places, different times) helps differentiate memories, so that they're more distinct and less confusable. That is why we try and set things up so that you learn little and often, rather than in one big burst.

It's really great to hear that you're getting stuck into the Italian!
gregdetre
Profile Joined November 2011
44 Posts
November 08 2011 17:12 GMT
#504
On November 08 2011 23:49 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
OMG someone made a Morse Code wordlist!

www.memrise.com/set/10003116/international-morse-code-consonance/

This program is the bomb. I absolutely want to get involved in generating content on there. How do we get access to a wordlist to start helping out with adding and updating entries? I'd really like to help get some of the nikyuu entries standardized (get rid of the hiragana right next to the kanji in some of the entries) and maybe start up a wordlist for grammatical constructs from the Dictionaries of Basic and Intermediate Japanese Grammar (the blue and yellow ones - I think from Kodansha? But if you study Japanese you probably know the ones I mean).


Email ben@memrise.com. He'll be delighted to talk to you about involving you with the Japanese volunteer team!
EtohEtoh
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada669 Posts
November 08 2011 17:17 GMT
#505
On November 09 2011 02:01 Tomcattomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2011 01:54 EtohEtoh wrote:
how far will this actually get you?
i just did a bit of the german, maybe some more later, but it doesn't seem to me like becoming a dictionary of a certain language will ever be useful if you don't know how to actually speak the language


Vocabulary is the foundation of any language. When you first start learning a language the "real" way, you are given a list of words to Memrise; actually learning the nuances (grammar) and flow of the language is supposed to come after (or during) the process of learning vocabulary.

Basically vocabulary are the minerals, and grammar is the gas. But you can still build some units with just the minerals.


Show nested quote +
DibujEx
I know this may sound stupid, but just now I remembered that I dont speak english,, so if I want to, for example I want to learn new english words... I can't, because I speak spanish, so it will be a lot more difficult for me ):!, right?


You can choose to "learn" spanish instead. You'll get the english words and the spanish words, instead of english-english.


lol i guess that makes sense, but in the end you'll have to pay up in order to actually learn a language

I wonder if they could do one for musical notes, it's only 12 "words", it would be a more suitable application, since there is no grammar at all.
DibujEx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Chile130 Posts
November 08 2011 17:20 GMT
#506
On November 09 2011 02:01 Tomcattomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
DibujEx
I know this may sound stupid, but just now I remembered that I dont speak english,, so if I want to, for example I want to learn new english words... I can't, because I speak spanish, so it will be a lot more difficult for me ):!, right?


You can choose to "learn" spanish instead. You'll get the english words and the spanish words, instead of english-english.


Well, yes, thank you, but if I want to learn any other language there is no option right?
;D!
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
November 08 2011 17:21 GMT
#507
On November 08 2011 11:37 astroorion wrote:
This is a very nice site, but I can't find a way to learn the layout of the keyboard so I'm having trouble learning Korean. Can anyone give me some tips or something that worked for them?


Write the 'letters' on pieces of marking tape and put them on your keys. Beats hunting the letter down from the map (although the korean layout is a lot more sensibly laid out than qwerty is). If you are willing to go through the extra trouble, clear tape and pieces of paper works better.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
November 08 2011 17:23 GMT
#508
only issue is the typing in portion does not intelligently take in many answers

difference between "person who does" and "person that does" is nearly

"cooked rice" vs "rice (cooked or boiled)" is an incorrect answer
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Kralle333
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark301 Posts
November 08 2011 17:29 GMT
#509
thanks for all the high fives :D

TL-unknown
TL-lightterran
TL-wollhandkrabbe
Nukanite - www.last.fm/user/Kraller
bAdDefiler
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway5 Posts
November 08 2011 18:45 GMT
#510
TL-Defiler (mandarin)
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
November 08 2011 18:51 GMT
#511
TL-Orange (mandarin)
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
November 08 2011 19:30 GMT
#512
Hmm.. should misspelling words in English be counted as wrong...?

E.g. I wrote cocoon as coccoon on the quiz and it was counted as "nearly" but still the wrong answer.
Tomcattomato
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands95 Posts
November 08 2011 19:38 GMT
#513
On November 09 2011 04:30 teamsolid wrote:
Hmm.. should misspelling words in English be counted as wrong...?

E.g. I wrote cocoon as coccoon on the quiz and it was counted as "nearly" but still the wrong answer.


Well it is wrong isn't it, it just recognised you knew the word you were supposed to type and awarded you some points for that.
13b
Profile Joined November 2011
1 Post
November 08 2011 19:43 GMT
#514
TL-13b (mandarin)
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 08 2011 20:00 GMT
#515
On November 09 2011 01:54 EtohEtoh wrote:
how far will this actually get you?
i just did a bit of the german, maybe some more later, but it doesn't seem to me like becoming a dictionary of a certain language will ever be useful if you don't know how to actually speak the language

No, a program like this will never get you speaking a language. You need to take a course or spend some time with textbooks on your own learning the grammatical rules of the language so that you know how to use the words you learn. But you also need to know lots of words, and a program like this is a good tool for working through that part of the language learning process.
The frumious Bandersnatch
InDaHouse
Profile Joined May 2008
Sweden956 Posts
November 08 2011 20:01 GMT
#516
Man when I am going to harvest my fucking memory is fooling me, I forget everything. Getting really mad and addicted.
Stork protoss legend
-swordguy
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States560 Posts
November 08 2011 20:06 GMT
#517
Is anyone else having a problem with words "wilting" but even after you do the watering thing the word still says wilting?
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country - Nathan Hale Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once - William Shakespeare, ‘’Julius Caesar’’
teamsolid
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada3668 Posts
November 08 2011 20:12 GMT
#518
On November 09 2011 04:38 Tomcattomato wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2011 04:30 teamsolid wrote:
Hmm.. should misspelling words in English be counted as wrong...?

E.g. I wrote cocoon as coccoon on the quiz and it was counted as "nearly" but still the wrong answer.


Well it is wrong isn't it, it just recognised you knew the word you were supposed to type and awarded you some points for that.

Yea but I'm not trying to learn English here... and it's not the wrong word, it's just (slightly) incorrectly spelt.
Sanctimonius
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom861 Posts
November 08 2011 20:16 GMT
#519
On November 09 2011 05:06 -swordguy wrote:
Is anyone else having a problem with words "wilting" but even after you do the watering thing the word still says wilting?
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Yeah this has happened to me a few times. Sometimes it recognises you've watered them a few minutes later. Guess that's why this is a beta in some respects.
You live the life you choose.
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
November 08 2011 21:16 GMT
#520
On November 09 2011 05:01 InDaHouse wrote:
Man when I am going to harvest my fucking memory is fooling me, I forget everything. Getting really mad and addicted.

Me too. I'm guessing I got greedy and loaded up on almost twenty seeds, and now some of them have just slipped my memory.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
NeuroSwarm 139
Nina 103
ViBE51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13861
910 70
NaDa 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever299
canceldota113
League of Legends
Doublelift2764
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4607
Other Games
summit1g3891
fl0m1136
FrodaN954
olofmeister802
C9.Mang0327
Liquid`Hasu321
Livibee198
ToD185
UpATreeSC63
PPMD21
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 22
[ Show 23 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 80
• musti20045 31
• poizon28 26
• Adnapsc2 10
• RyuSc2 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 49
• FirePhoenix7
• Michael_bg 5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21606
• WagamamaTV547
League of Legends
• Scarra818
Other Games
• imaqtpie1026
• Shiphtur489
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 9m
Big Brain Bouts
12h 9m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
19h 9m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
21h 9m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 12h
Patches Events
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.