• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:31
CEST 22:31
KST 05:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8663 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 25

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 69 Next
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
November 08 2011 14:49 GMT
#481
OMG someone made a Morse Code wordlist!

www.memrise.com/set/10003116/international-morse-code-consonance/

This program is the bomb. I absolutely want to get involved in generating content on there. How do we get access to a wordlist to start helping out with adding and updating entries? I'd really like to help get some of the nikyuu entries standardized (get rid of the hiragana right next to the kanji in some of the entries) and maybe start up a wordlist for grammatical constructs from the Dictionaries of Basic and Intermediate Japanese Grammar (the blue and yellow ones - I think from Kodansha? But if you study Japanese you probably know the ones I mean).
The frumious Bandersnatch
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
November 08 2011 14:49 GMT
#482
On November 08 2011 22:45 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 08 2011 22:13 gregdetre wrote:
>> I'm taking the N1 test next month, and I gotta say, you CANNOT rely on the definitions given for that word list. I was suspicious of 成果 as "accomplishment/achievement" -- which isn't wrong, but isn't quite right. However, when it said that ~系 means "system," I knew I had to stop before I got corrupted.

> Ive passed 1kyu and I find no more problem with these translations than I do with the ones that exist in most textbooks.

[Memrise co-founder here]

These are really good points. Language and translation is such a subtle and thorny business. When we first launched, we let pretty much anyone edit anything. That had a lot of good aspects, because it meant that you'd have been able to change that word.

However, it also meant that some of the content we'd worked with native speakers and professional translators to add was getting mangled.

Now, the permissions are much tighter, and we are building up a core set of carefully-moderated words and definitions that we trust, merging and modifying as we go. As you can imagine, this is slower, and hasn't reached Japanese yet. If you wanted to help, even in a small way, leave a comment in the 'discussion' tab for the word, e.g.

http://www.memrise.com/item/670747/system-lineage-group/

and one of the other Japanese volunteers will probably answer and make the change for you! I hope that addresses your concern a little.


Gregdetre seems to be a snob who feels smart doing these questions.

I don't really know what was he complaining about. No matter what method you use to learn, be it formal classes or self study methods, nobody will give the complete definition for each word. Just look at your own dictionary, for any simple word the explanation of it's meaning is a few lines long.

Imagine giving this to every English student :

Show nested quote +
car [kɑː]
n
1. (Engineering / Automotive Engineering)
a. Also called motorcar automobile a self-propelled road vehicle designed to carry passengers, esp one with four wheels that is powered by an internal-combustion engine
b. (as modifier) car coat
2. a conveyance for passengers, freight, etc., such as a cable car or the carrier of an airship or balloon
3. (Transport / Railways) Brit a railway vehicle for passengers only, such as a sleeping car or buffet car
4. (Transport / Railways) Chiefly US and Canadian a railway carriage or van
5. Chiefly US the enclosed platform of a lift
6. a poetic word for chariot
[from Anglo-French carre, ultimately related to Latin carra, carrum two-wheeled wagon, probably of Celtic origin; compare Old Irish carr]


As you can see giving the full definition of a word or memorising it in a game like this is completely stupid.

Eventually sentences can be provided and explanations of the usage and meaning of the word in different contexts to make it a more complete education but let's face it : It's free and we are all learning and befiniting from the gaming/competition element.


messed up the names i think... greg detre is the dude from the site he was responding to those complaints he just didn't quote them ^^
MilesTeg
Profile Joined September 2010
France1271 Posts
November 08 2011 14:57 GMT
#483
Love you TL <3

TL-MilesTeg
Trying to improve my rusty mandarin and learn korean.

Don't know which one will eventually take priority, as I live in Hong Kong and my girlfriend is korean. But I do plan to take it seriously.
Mathematics
Profile Joined June 2011
Belgium35 Posts
November 08 2011 15:03 GMT
#484
Great thing you've got here.. was searching for 'learning Korean' books here in belgium.. but it's hard to find..
I've signed up using TL-Orenji :-)
SomeONEx
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden641 Posts
November 08 2011 15:10 GMT
#485
I started playing, gonna improve my Chinese. TL-SomeONE
BW hwaiting!
pRo9aMeR
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
595 Posts
November 08 2011 15:42 GMT
#486
TL-pRo9aMeR English Korean Spanish Czech
In training...let's play, gg! d^..^b
Silv.user
Profile Joined November 2010
59 Posts
November 08 2011 15:43 GMT
#487
this was awesome
All girls are whores, only the smart ones takes paid.
Shuray
Profile Joined July 2008
Brazil642 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 16:25:18
November 08 2011 15:46 GMT
#488
Add me in: TL-Shuray

Learning French for now, I'll jump to korean afterwards
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
November 08 2011 15:55 GMT
#489
Wow, Korean was a lot harder than mandarin :O so many signs...
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Jesushooves
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 16:00:29
November 08 2011 15:56 GMT
#490
If we want memrise to grow, I imagine liking it on facebook helps too. ^^

Also, anyone find a german language pack that has shorter words? Trying to write out the clearance sale - or der Räumungsverkauf - is really hard for someone completely new to the language (aka TL-jesushooves)
Lose its good, after will be win.
GTo7_Panda
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany68 Posts
November 08 2011 16:09 GMT
#491
@ Gred Detre: One more suggestion (has been mentioned already I think):

It would be awesome If I could choose one demand, which are the next words I will get as seeds. My current situation: I am living in Italy, coming from Germany, and there are many new worlds surrounding my. I could use a wordbook to learn them, but memrise is awesome. But right now I have to wait to get the words I desire randomly - which will take some time, considering Italian intermediate has 2700+ words. Also I don´t want to make a new wordlist, since I don´t like to get the words double later when using two wordlists and also the words are already there.

So, in short: A feature to search the words in the wordlist and being able to choose some as next seeds.

Thanks for answering again!

Also one question: Does moving while learning really help? Have been told so;)
Aristodemus
Profile Joined January 2011
England2014 Posts
November 08 2011 16:12 GMT
#492
Great site to learn quickly from, TL-Aristodemus
once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more
pestilenz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Denmark379 Posts
November 08 2011 16:29 GMT
#493
I would like to thank you very much for this post!

I have not been able to find a suitable way for me to practice my vocabulary properly in Korean (I study Korean at Copenhagen university), hence the enormous excitement from here!
You can attack with this?!
Godstorm
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Romania845 Posts
November 08 2011 16:32 GMT
#494
TL-Godstorm.
This is really fun! I'm currently doing english (imtermediate to advanced) to brush up my vocab, and some basic german since mine is really really bad . Great site!
"It's not that he's dumb, he's just neural parasited by a retarded infestor"-Day 9
Quochobao
Profile Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
November 08 2011 16:37 GMT
#495
On November 08 2011 15:55 Kinetik_Inferno wrote:
TL-Kinetik_Inferno learning french.

I do have one question though, I just finished the french demo and want to progress more through the language. I'm a complete beginner to french, but under "French" there's no wordlist that screams, "Just finished the demo? this one's next!"

so, is there one I'm simply not seeing or is there one obscured under a discrete name?


Hey, Check out the le Petit Prince list. You can study the vocab there (upper-introductory level) and read the book for context. It's a French classic too!
Best or nothing.
bward84
Profile Joined November 2011
United States3 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 16:38:25
November 08 2011 16:38 GMT
#496
Tl-Truth....learning French.

edit...slowly lol
EtohEtoh
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada669 Posts
November 08 2011 16:54 GMT
#497
how far will this actually get you?
i just did a bit of the german, maybe some more later, but it doesn't seem to me like becoming a dictionary of a certain language will ever be useful if you don't know how to actually speak the language
DibujEx
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Chile130 Posts
November 08 2011 16:58 GMT
#498
I know this may sound stupid, but just now I remembered that I dont speak english,, so if I want to, for example I want to learn new english words... I can't, because I speak spanish, so it will be a lot more difficult for me ):!, right?
;D!
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
November 08 2011 16:58 GMT
#499
On November 09 2011 00:55 Arnstein wrote:
Wow, Korean was a lot harder than mandarin :O so many signs...


Wait what?

Chinese has thousands more times signs as Korean . . . unless Memrise mandarin only uses romanization, which is a pretty bad approach to learning the language.
powerade = dragoon blood
Tomcattomato
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands95 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-08 17:06:13
November 08 2011 17:01 GMT
#500
On November 09 2011 01:54 EtohEtoh wrote:
how far will this actually get you?
i just did a bit of the german, maybe some more later, but it doesn't seem to me like becoming a dictionary of a certain language will ever be useful if you don't know how to actually speak the language


Vocabulary is the foundation of any language. When you first start learning a language the "real" way, you are given a list of words to Memrise; actually learning the nuances (grammar) and flow of the language is supposed to come after (or during) the process of learning vocabulary.

Basically vocabulary are the minerals, and grammar is the gas. But you can still build some units with just the minerals.


DibujEx
I know this may sound stupid, but just now I remembered that I dont speak english,, so if I want to, for example I want to learn new english words... I can't, because I speak spanish, so it will be a lot more difficult for me ):!, right?


You can choose to "learn" spanish instead. You'll get the english words and the spanish words, instead of english-english.
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O142
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason417
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 608
ZZZero.O 142
Zeus 65
soO 55
Hyun 44
Dota 2
qojqva2212
canceldota40
League of Legends
Doublelift1077
Counter-Strike
fl0m5712
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4115
Liquid`Hasu656
Other Games
summit1g5030
FrodaN1249
KnowMe336
ToD251
Pyrionflax212
420jenkins193
Livibee175
QueenE104
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick777
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 105
• Hupsaiya 49
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 33
• FirePhoenix4
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1834
Other Games
• imaqtpie863
• Shiphtur711
• Scarra1
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 29m
Patches Events
18h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 29m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 29m
OSC
1d 2h
OSC
1d 15h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.