• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:24
CEST 19:24
KST 02:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8428 users

College Acceptance Thread '11 - Page 23

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 36 Next All
TheGreatWhiteHope_
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States335 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 23:58:03
March 27 2011 23:57 GMT
#441
GPA: 3.3
SAT: ~1560

Accepted to UC Davis on a full athletic scholarship.

na na na na na na
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
March 28 2011 00:07 GMT
#442
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.
powerade = dragoon blood
StarDrive
Profile Joined September 2010
90 Posts
March 28 2011 00:16 GMT
#443
I graduated from Stanford in 2009. I've been working in industry for the past 2 years and here are some of my observations.

1) School matters a lot less than you think. I don't see that much of a correlation between performance at work and the prestige of the university you went to.
2) Your life isn't set once you get into a top school. There's still fierce competition for good jobs/graduate schools. Similarly, you can do a lot even at a "not so good school". The individual matters far more than the school here.
3) The average student isn't very impressive even at a top school. You still have tons of people who cannot execute mechanical procedures to solve computational problems on math exams for example.
4) I think the only time people actually cared what school I went to or what my SAT scores were was during senior year of high school after admissions decisions came out.
DystopiaX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States16236 Posts
March 28 2011 00:17 GMT
#444
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.

Seriously. I dont get why people started putting gpa/achievements here, especially weighted since it works differently in different schools. I thought people were just goingto post where thy got accepted, etc. Bragging just makes people look dumb.
fams
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada731 Posts
March 28 2011 00:17 GMT
#445
On March 28 2011 08:45 USApwn wrote:
Better off going to a community college then xfering from there for a BA/BS degree.

Master degree is where the big money should be spent.

That's what I'm doing, College - BA - Masters (shooting for Yale or Schulich for business)
http://www.twitter.com/famsytron/
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
March 28 2011 00:24 GMT
#446
On March 28 2011 09:17 DystopiaX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.

Seriously. I dont get why people started putting gpa/achievements here, especially weighted since it works differently in different schools. I thought people were just goingto post where thy got accepted, etc. Bragging just makes people look dumb.


So people who are also applying know where they stand with their own marks and extracurriculars?
No one here is bragging as far as I can tell. Except maybe sevia.

It's as much an accepted thread as a waiting thread. There are tons of people waiting for their own acceptances, and it may give them some hope to see other people near their level getting into the same programs or universities. Few people have embellished their achievements.

If anything, I think you guys are just jealous that some people have gotten where they wanted, and that they have better marks than you...
There is no one like you in the universe.
VeNoM HaZ Skill
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1528 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-28 00:40:46
March 28 2011 00:35 GMT
#447
On March 28 2011 09:16 StarDrive wrote:
I graduated from Stanford in 2009. I've been working in industry for the past 2 years and here are some of my observations.

1) School matters a lot less than you think. I don't see that much of a correlation between performance at work and the prestige of the university you went to.
2) Your life isn't set once you get into a top school. There's still fierce competition for good jobs/graduate schools. Similarly, you can do a lot even at a "not so good school". The individual matters far more than the school here.
3) The average student isn't very impressive even at a top school. You still have tons of people who cannot execute mechanical procedures to solve computational problems on math exams for example.
4) I think the only time people actually cared what school I went to or what my SAT scores were was during senior year of high school after admissions decisions came out.


lol. damn straight. I got into Johns Hopkins for Pre-Med on a full sports scholarship for lacrosse. My foot surgery dropped me from the team, and I couldnt afford to keep going there. Transfered to UMD, and started med school. 3 years later I'm working in the same damn hospital as half the JHU grads, no one really cares.

TBH what college you go to doesn't matter, mostly every company you will go to has a set of criteria. Only if there's a tie with multiple candidates (almost never) is when where they got their education comes into play a little, and even then most of the consideration goes into personality: they could care less if you were a harvard grad if nobody your working with likes you. Companies are getting big into synergy, why? Because it is proven to increase work productivity, and that is the only thing they care about.

I'm not saying that it isn't awesome to get into your dream school, because it is. But unless your on a large-full scholarship, the massive amount of extra money isnt worth it. It will never pay itself off. (unless your a psychologist. one of the few jobs where you can shamelessly flaunt your degree to people that didn't go to college, to make them feel like your better than all the other psychologists.)

The basic point of this is: as the prestige of the college increases so does the cost. But the actual value of your education generally stays the same. Atleast thats how I see it.

Edit: As Chill will always tell you. Check the male:female ratio of a college before applying.
#1 MMA fan! I like you too Taeja. Still patiently waiting for the Crown Prince to become the King.
GhostKorean
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States2330 Posts
March 28 2011 00:39 GMT
#448
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.

They have the right to brag ~_~ getting into colleges is tough.
JitnikoVi
Profile Joined May 2010
Russian Federation396 Posts
March 28 2011 00:48 GMT
#449
On March 28 2011 02:31 Impervious wrote:
I know that there should be roughly 10 times as many people applying to US schools as Canadian schools. And that the chances of someone applying to Ottawa are fairly low compared to some other schools. And that not everyone would be accepted. And that few of those who accepted would actually choose to come here.

But I've read through this entire thread, and haven't seen a single person apply to uOttawa.



It's depressing.



i applied to carlton... i mean thats IN ottawa
In theory yes, but theoretically, no.
TheGreatWhiteHope_
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States335 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-28 00:53:35
March 28 2011 00:53 GMT
#450
As a few of the posters above me have said, it's more about YOU than your college. Are you an introvert who studies his/her ass off-ends college with a 4.0 but isn't able to interact socially in a work environment? At the end of the day, it's going to come down to a couple things: who you know, whether or not you interviewed well, and if you can do what your job requires of you(intellectually/socially).

It's very sad that this is an after thought for many: did you have fun in college?
jadedpi3
Profile Joined March 2011
United States22 Posts
March 28 2011 00:58 GMT
#451
Holy Christ this thread takes me back to high school haha
It feels like a lot of TL people are from the west coast (tons of UC applications), Asian, and into some sort of engineering field such as EE, CS, both, MatSci, etc. etc. INTERESTING KEKEKEKE

Personally I'm an Asian EECS major at Berkeley myself.
The_LiNk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada863 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-28 01:00:42
March 28 2011 00:59 GMT
#452
On March 28 2011 09:17 fams wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 08:45 USApwn wrote:
Better off going to a community college then xfering from there for a BA/BS degree.

Master degree is where the big money should be spent.

That's what I'm doing, College - BA - Masters (shooting for Yale or Schulich for business)


How about fast tech BBA/BCOM -> MBA.

Cuts 2 years from the College to Bachelor and then cuts another year or 2 when you go from Bachelor to Masters.

I don't see how this College->Bachelor->Masters is superior in anyway except spending more money.
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
March 28 2011 01:01 GMT
#453
On March 28 2011 09:58 jadedpi3 wrote:
Holy Christ this thread takes me back to high school haha
It feels like a lot of TL people are from the west coast (tons of UC applications), Asian, and into some sort of engineering field such as EE, CS, both, MatSci, etc. etc. INTERESTING KEKEKEKE

Personally I'm an Asian EECS major at Berkeley myself.


It's true that there's a huge difference between EE and CS...right? The former is hardware and the latter is software, so even though the departments are usually the same, the two fields are still very different from each other...right? Which are you?
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
b3h47pte
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States1317 Posts
March 28 2011 01:10 GMT
#454
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.


Although it might not matter to you...some people who are still in high school might want to see what other people have done and to judge their chances of getting into college. It you don't like it then why even read through the thread =\

If you go through the 2010 thread it's been like that too.

On a more related note...I think CMU is getting to me by tomorrow...they still use mail =\
Loser777
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
1931 Posts
March 28 2011 01:28 GMT
#455
On March 28 2011 10:10 b3h47pte wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.


Although it might not matter to you...some people who are still in high school might want to see what other people have done and to judge their chances of getting into college. It you don't like it then why even read through the thread =\

If you go through the 2010 thread it's been like that too.

On a more related note...I think CMU is getting to me by tomorrow...they still use mail =\

I know that feel bro... according to CC CMU is going out Monday 12:01 EDT (online), so that means 21:00 today PDT for us people in the west.
6581
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
March 28 2011 01:33 GMT
#456
On March 28 2011 10:01 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 09:58 jadedpi3 wrote:
Holy Christ this thread takes me back to high school haha
It feels like a lot of TL people are from the west coast (tons of UC applications), Asian, and into some sort of engineering field such as EE, CS, both, MatSci, etc. etc. INTERESTING KEKEKEKE

Personally I'm an Asian EECS major at Berkeley myself.


It's true that there's a huge difference between EE and CS...right? The former is hardware and the latter is software, so even though the departments are usually the same, the two fields are still very different from each other...right? Which are you?

Admissions are generally grouped though.
Pawsom
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States928 Posts
March 28 2011 01:35 GMT
#457
On March 28 2011 10:01 Z3kk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 09:58 jadedpi3 wrote:
Holy Christ this thread takes me back to high school haha
It feels like a lot of TL people are from the west coast (tons of UC applications), Asian, and into some sort of engineering field such as EE, CS, both, MatSci, etc. etc. INTERESTING KEKEKEKE

Personally I'm an Asian EECS major at Berkeley myself.


It's true that there's a huge difference between EE and CS...right? The former is hardware and the latter is software, so even though the departments are usually the same, the two fields are still very different from each other...right? Which are you?


No. Systems software ( e.g. cars, microwaves, cellphone, defibrillator) is generally designed for specific hardware, and the interaction between hardware and software guys is crucial.
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
March 28 2011 01:45 GMT
#458
Good luck young ones. To keep your spirits up if you have a bad start, here's my own experience.

I'm done my 6th year of university (cut a little early unfortunately) and going back to finish my bachelor in biochemistry in Moncton in september... I haven't applied yet but it's not a strict university on applications and it's not a program with limited spots. Needed a break after the disaster that was this year but I'm going to get things in order in April (well, I took care of every thing not school related at least).

Going to end up taking me 7 years to have a 4 year bachelor T_T... wasted 3 years in university of Montreal in pharmacy. Sucks, but I'm pretty eager to get back to research.

With my masters after that it's going to be close to 10 years total. I am one of those eternal students apparently. No plans on a PhD at the moment but maybe once I get there.

Well, I don't mind living the (very) poor life as there's really nothing I want beyond a job I enjoy and I like learning so it's not all bad. Sucks to waste 3 years but it was an experience nonetheless and now I know what I really want to do.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-28 01:51:49
March 28 2011 01:51 GMT
#459
On March 28 2011 10:35 Pawsom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 10:01 Z3kk wrote:
On March 28 2011 09:58 jadedpi3 wrote:
Holy Christ this thread takes me back to high school haha
It feels like a lot of TL people are from the west coast (tons of UC applications), Asian, and into some sort of engineering field such as EE, CS, both, MatSci, etc. etc. INTERESTING KEKEKEKE

Personally I'm an Asian EECS major at Berkeley myself.


It's true that there's a huge difference between EE and CS...right? The former is hardware and the latter is software, so even though the departments are usually the same, the two fields are still very different from each other...right? Which are you?


No. Systems software ( e.g. cars, microwaves, cellphone, defibrillator) is generally designed for specific hardware, and the interaction between hardware and software guys is crucial.


Hm, so how much does each field carry over into the other? Are the electrical engineers supposed to understand programming languages, and the software engineers supposed to understand circuitry, etc.? I know very, very little (i.e. only the most basic rudiments) right now, but I would like to enter EECS in the future, and thus am very interested in knowing.
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
sevia
Profile Joined May 2010
United States954 Posts
March 28 2011 01:52 GMT
#460
On March 28 2011 09:24 Blisse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 09:17 DystopiaX wrote:
On March 28 2011 09:07 chenchen wrote:
Yeah, I actually wasn't expecting this much douchebagery in a college acceptance thread.

To all you overachievers, stop bragging, it makes you look insecure and immature.

To all you underachievers, stupidity and laziness are not virtues, they do not get you far in life.

Seriously. I dont get why people started putting gpa/achievements here, especially weighted since it works differently in different schools. I thought people were just goingto post where thy got accepted, etc. Bragging just makes people look dumb.


So people who are also applying know where they stand with their own marks and extracurriculars?
No one here is bragging as far as I can tell. Except maybe sevia.

It's as much an accepted thread as a waiting thread. There are tons of people waiting for their own acceptances, and it may give them some hope to see other people near their level getting into the same programs or universities. Few people have embellished their achievements.

If anything, I think you guys are just jealous that some people have gotten where they wanted, and that they have better marks than you...


I was worried the post would come off like that. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

What I meant it to mean is that even if you haven't done a whole lot in high school (even next to nothing) you've still got a chance at acceptance. I was initially really worried that I would be rejected, I already had several other schools as back-up plans because I was almost sure that a good uni wouldn't someone like me. Plenty of kids in this thread are probably thinking the same thing, so I'm just saying, those fears are probably unfounded.

People who have great GPAs / community service / extracurriculars should be commended and deserve a good school. But to those who aren't sure where they stand, have some confidence and you might just get lucky.
최지성 Bomber || 김동환 viOLet || 고병재 GuMiho
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem438
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 438
IndyStarCraft 226
Railgan 84
BRAT_OK 56
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 19837
BeSt 432
Soma 193
Dewaltoss 124
Mind 120
hero 74
Zeus 48
Hyun 46
Killer 38
Sea.KH 31
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 25
NaDa 19
Rock 18
PianO 16
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5042
qojqva3113
Dendi1381
420jenkins446
Counter-Strike
fl0m4369
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4213
Khaldor1304
Liquid`Hasu1027
MindelVK13
Other Games
FrodaN2490
B2W.Neo751
byalli467
ArmadaUGS197
Hui .157
KnowMe149
QueenE87
Mew2King53
CosmosSc2 26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 28
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4071
League of Legends
• Nemesis2743
Other Games
• Shiphtur289
• imaqtpie242
• WagamamaTV228
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 36m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 36m
Replay Cast
5h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 36m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
17h 36m
Monday Night Weeklies
22h 36m
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 17h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.