• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:53
CEST 23:53
KST 06:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11532 users

TL Martial Artists - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
deathgod6
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States5064 Posts
April 05 2010 07:00 GMT
#81
I wish I had martial arts training, but all I have is cello.
4.0 GPA = A rank 5.0 GPA = Olympic --------- Bisu, Best, Fantasy. i ♥ oov. They can get in my BoxeR anyday.
SeeDLiNg
Profile Joined January 2010
United States690 Posts
April 05 2010 07:05 GMT
#82
On April 05 2010 16:00 deathgod6 wrote:
I wish I had martial arts training, but all I have is cello.

And I wish I could play a sweet instrument
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
April 05 2010 10:14 GMT
#83
On April 05 2010 16:05 SeeDLiNg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2010 16:00 deathgod6 wrote:
I wish I had martial arts training, but all I have is cello.

And I wish I could play a sweet instrument

so does he
Zavior
Profile Joined August 2009
Finland753 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-05 11:03:55
April 05 2010 11:03 GMT
#84
Judo for couple of years, recently picked up MMA & BJJ. Found both of those to be a lot more fun than judo. Rolling in BJJ is awesom-o.
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
April 05 2010 11:05 GMT
#85
i learned taekwondo and grew up with many many black belts.... although i stopped 1 belt before black ;l
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
CaptainPlatypus
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States852 Posts
April 05 2010 11:09 GMT
#86
I have four years of hapkido training and a black belt. Hapkido's an eclectic Korean martial art, with both "hard" and "soft" techniques, strikes and breaks and throws. What exactly you learn varies based on your studio and master, but where I trained, I learned some muay thai style eight-point boxing, some taekwondo style kicking, and a lot of jujutsu style breaks, throws, and weapons use (nunchaku are awesome).

I stopped training when I went to college, because commuting to both was too much, but I've been meaning to get my scrawny ass in shape and start training again once I have the money to spare. This time around I'm torn between going to a traditional jujustu or Northern wushu school and an ultra-modern krav maga school. I like krav maga more stylistically, but jujutsu and wushu more philosophically. My build is pretty well suited to either - or, really, anything I choose to learn that isn't Brazilian jiu-jitsu or competitive MMA (too tall for the former, not bulky enough for the latter; you need a lot more muscle mass to be effective when you're not allowed to use incapacitating force). Luckily, neither of those has any appeal to me.

For anyone considering martial arts training, I can absolutely recommend it - it's been hugely useful to me in a huge number of ways, from general fitness, strength and flexibility to self-confidence, awareness, and mental discipline. However, it is important to find a style and studio that fit your temperament and build. If you don't feel like during the research, a summary's below.

If you want something traditional and practical, you can't go wrong with wushu (traditional Chinese martial arts). If you're tall and skinny, you want a Northern style; if you're short and bulky, you want a Southern style. Jujutsu (traditional Japanese martial arts, not to be confused with Brazilian jiu-jutsu) is also extremely good, but tends to vary much more by dojo; some will teach nothing but unarmed combat, some will teach you everything from basic strikes up to guns and binding with ropes. The quality is generally incredible, but if you don't know what you're looking for it's easy to get stuck with something you aren't really suited to.

If you want something modern, no-nonsense and practical, krav maga has your name on it. It focuses nearly directly on one of the most important principles of combat, incapacitating your opponent before they can do harm. Everything else is suborned to that goal. Be warned, though, of the harshness that attitude can imply. If you pull punches, ever, krav maga is not for you.

If you do pull your punches and don't like the idea of learning something that could end up hurting someone, I suggest you take up aikido. Its focus is on resolving conflict while doing the least amount of total harm; unlike many other styles, it doesn't write off any damage your opponent takes as acceptable. An excellent style if you practice martial arts mainly for mental health and discipline.

Finally, if all you really care about is competition and impressing people, I suggest you find yourself an MMA trainer. You won't learn anything that you can use to reliably defend yourself, but you'll be great in a brawl and you might even do okay in a cage fight if you get yourself into the right shape.
Batibot
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines348 Posts
April 05 2010 11:41 GMT
#87
It's been a year and a half since I went to practice with a group that practices wrestling and grappling (bjj). Then, I went to study muay thai. Sadly, it's been on and off for me learning martial arts. Luckily, I was able to get back and preparing for a fight that I'm hoping to happen.
Jaedong has to be a Bonjwa. Tired of of rooting for July.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
April 05 2010 13:00 GMT
#88
On April 05 2010 20:09 CaptainPlatypus wrote:

If you want something traditional and practical, you can't go wrong with wushu (traditional Chinese martial arts). If you're tall and skinny, you want a Northern style; if you're short and bulky, you want a Southern style. Jujutsu (traditional Japanese martial arts, not to be confused with Brazilian jiu-jutsu) is also extremely good, but tends to vary much more by dojo; some will teach nothing but unarmed combat, some will teach you everything from basic strikes up to guns and binding with ropes. The quality is generally incredible, but if you don't know what you're looking for it's easy to get stuck with something you aren't really suited to.

What if you're short and skinny lol?
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
statix
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States1760 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-05 15:37:05
April 05 2010 15:36 GMT
#89
On April 03 2010 10:27 pokeyAA wrote:

I would be interested haha, dutch kickboxing is what you see a lot in K-1 correct? Lots of hand/kick combos. I'm a fan of K-1 Max.



Yeah. The main difference if I had to pick one between Dutch kickboxing and Muay Thai is the emphasis dutch kickboxing places on changing levels. By this I mean throwing combinations like 1 to the head, 2 to the body, 3 to the head, and a 10 to your opponents lead leg. I

t's not uncommon to see guys like Andy Souwer or Melvin Manhoef end every combination with a kick because even though you know its coming, its hard to defend it when your thinking about the punches he just threw at your head/body.

This is the numbering system we use and most kickboxing gyms use.

1=jab
2=right straight
3=left hook
4=right hook
5=left uppercut
6=right uppercut
7=left leg push kick
8=right leg push kick
9=left kick
10=right kick
SCC-Caliban
futility
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Japan134 Posts
April 05 2010 20:16 GMT
#90
On April 05 2010 19:14 sc4k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2010 16:05 SeeDLiNg wrote:
On April 05 2010 16:00 deathgod6 wrote:
I wish I had martial arts training, but all I have is cello.

And I wish I could play a sweet instrument

so does he


LOL

I just started taking Aikido a few weeks ago, hoping to start going a lot more often once my schedule dies down a bit.
Impervious
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada4222 Posts
April 05 2010 20:38 GMT
#91
Shodokan Akido for me. It has a pretty high emphasis on sparring.

I spent somewhere around 7 years in it, I should have a black belt, but an external complication preventing me from being graded for it, and forcing me to drop out. That was about 6 or 7 years ago now though.....

I placed well in several competitions when I was active, and was invited to participate in a tournament in India (I didn't go though). I also was part of a weapons-training class. Some really cool stuff.
~ \(ˌ)im-ˈpər-vē-əs\ : not capable of being damaged or harmed.
jindo29
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States29 Posts
April 06 2010 03:00 GMT
#92
Another Taekwondo black belt, got mine a couple years ago, but quit a couple months after that.
Exteray
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1094 Posts
April 06 2010 03:01 GMT
#93
Beginner in Wushu, a mostly performance based Martial Art.
pokeyAA
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States936 Posts
April 06 2010 03:07 GMT
#94
On April 06 2010 00:36 statix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2010 10:27 pokeyAA wrote:

I would be interested haha, dutch kickboxing is what you see a lot in K-1 correct? Lots of hand/kick combos. I'm a fan of K-1 Max.



Yeah. The main difference if I had to pick one between Dutch kickboxing and Muay Thai is the emphasis dutch kickboxing places on changing levels. By this I mean throwing combinations like 1 to the head, 2 to the body, 3 to the head, and a 10 to your opponents lead leg. I

t's not uncommon to see guys like Andy Souwer or Melvin Manhoef end every combination with a kick because even though you know its coming, its hard to defend it when your thinking about the punches he just threw at your head/body.

This is the numbering system we use and most kickboxing gyms use.

1=jab
2=right straight
3=left hook
4=right hook
5=left uppercut
6=right uppercut
7=left leg push kick
8=right leg push kick
9=left kick
10=right kick


Haha I've been trying to practice Ernesto Hoost's 1,2,3, low right kick to make it fluid.
airborne_101
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Mexico71 Posts
April 06 2010 03:21 GMT
#95
I've been in Goju Ryu karate, some TKD ( not my style BTW), Muay Thai,Box, Submission Wrestling and, by now, BJJ.

BJJ it's my favourite style, it has a nice flow and you get lots of fun sparring
Tell me what do you think zombie kid: - I like turtles!
nicoaldo
Profile Joined March 2009
Argentina939 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-06 03:52:19
April 06 2010 03:51 GMT
#96
On April 03 2010 00:23 YouMake wrote:
My Name is Brendan Weafer. I actually run with my friend and business partner. A BJJ and Maui Thai Gym. I fight professional also

http://www.youtube.com/user/hvjj#p/u/9/-_Giod6Mp_c (im in camo shorts)



1:23 ahah sick KO
You were fkn crazy, was that an important win?

On April 05 2010 19:14 sc4k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2010 16:05 SeeDLiNg wrote:
On April 05 2010 16:00 deathgod6 wrote:
I wish I had martial arts training, but all I have is cello.

And I wish I could play a sweet instrument

so does he


haha
sc4k
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United Kingdom5454 Posts
April 06 2010 08:38 GMT
#97
Gota say that out of all the martial arts I've tried, I like boxing the best. Right now I'm doing random goes at boxing, muay thai, sub wrastling and bjj. Enjoy them all but boxing is the funnest for me.
nbMifu
Profile Joined January 2010
Brazil170 Posts
April 06 2010 17:12 GMT
#98
I did 3 years of Taishan Kung Fu back home in Brazil. Had to stop since I'm studying in Italy for now. It is a northern kung fu style, that focus a lot in kicks, and I really improved my flexibility while practicing. I am also interested in practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the future, if my job leave me some spare time. The most famous BJJ academies in Brazil are in Rio and in the South, but i think I can find a nice one in Sao Paulo, where I will live.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato
statix
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States1760 Posts
April 06 2010 19:15 GMT
#99
On April 07 2010 02:12 nbMifu wrote:
I did 3 years of Taishan Kung Fu back home in Brazil. Had to stop since I'm studying in Italy for now. It is a northern kung fu style, that focus a lot in kicks, and I really improved my flexibility while practicing. I am also interested in practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the future, if my job leave me some spare time. The most famous BJJ academies in Brazil are in Rio and in the South, but i think I can find a nice one in Sao Paulo, where I will live.

Dude go train with Fabio Gurgel in Sao Paulo. He's supposed to speak fluent english, he has crazy bjj skills, and he's the teacher of one of the best grapplers ever (Marcelo Garcia).
SCC-Caliban
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
April 06 2010 19:18 GMT
#100
im pretty good with a bow staff.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O138
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14300
Shuttle 375
White-Ra 222
ZZZero.O 138
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm90
League of Legends
Doublelift3809
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4878
Other Games
summit1g9300
FrodaN2332
Liquid`RaSZi2057
C9.Mang0299
crisheroes294
ToD277
Livibee185
Pyrionflax162
Mew2King48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 50
• musti20045 38
• Adnapsc2 28
• HeavenSC 12
• Sammyuel 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1502
• Shiphtur535
• WagamamaTV301
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 7m
Replay Cast
1h 7m
OSC
14h 7m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.