• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:37
CEST 13:37
KST 20:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8537 users

TL Martial Artists - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
VabuDeltaKaiser
Profile Joined April 2009
Germany1107 Posts
April 03 2010 02:05 GMT
#61
I had a dream as a child doing a martial art using the energy of your opponent, somehow i got introduced into aikido by my little sister, doing it for some years. good for balance, using your full weight as advantage, you learn how to fall (very important in everyday non boring life), also getting a basic idea of how to react and use the force someone throws at you fluently. sadly no punches or kicks.
then i stumbled into wt, wingtsun, and i would guess i found what i wanted long time ago, with aikido beeing a very good preparation. you simply train your muscles to react to a force thrown at you by themselves, you learn to watch what your body is doing while he attacks an opponent who decides with his actions how you beat him beeing formed by his energy. fun is an understatement.
my smiley drinks green tea. works. just, the commercial investments are lower.
bEsT[Alive]
Profile Joined July 2009
606 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-03 02:10:22
April 03 2010 02:07 GMT
#62
Hapkido all the way. I learn from a guy who taught Jackie Chan a ton when he was just getting started:

EagleHapkido.com

Watch some of the vids. =)
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun - Katharine Hepburn
Belgo
Profile Joined September 2009
United States721 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-03 02:09:31
April 03 2010 02:08 GMT
#63
On April 03 2010 11:05 VabuDeltaKaiser wrote:
I had a dream as a child doing a martial art using the energy of your opponent, somehow i got introduced into aikido by my little sister, doing it for some years. good for balance, using your full weight as advantage, you learn how to fall (very important in everyday non boring life), also getting a basic idea of how to react and use the force someone throws at you fluently. sadly no punches or kicks.
then i stumbled into wt, wingtsun, and i would guess i found what i wanted long time ago, with aikido beeing a very good preparation. you simply train your muscles to react to a force thrown at you by themselves, you learn to watch what your body is doing while he attacks an opponent who decides with his actions how you beat him beeing formed by his energy. fun is an understatement.




Looks up Xian Yi (which akido decended from) It is one of the three Chinese internal arts, along with the Tai Chi's and Bagua. Seems like what you are looking for
12 gateways being thrown down, which is standard transition after the two observatory opening
REDBLUEGREEN
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Germany1904 Posts
April 03 2010 02:22 GMT
#64
I'm practicing WingTsun, too. It's real fun but I am missing some physical aspects so I train at home with a sandbag and I randomly tell my gf to hit me in the stomach for 1 minute as hard as she can because if you get in a real fight all your mad techniques won't help you if you don't know how to take blows
I would like to pick up Kendo, a classmate used to practice it and he was just scary with a stick in his hand but I don't have the time/money to start with it atm
[NyC]HoBbes
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States803 Posts
April 03 2010 02:44 GMT
#65
I used to fence competitively, does that count?
Where'er you walk cool gales shall fan the glade
9diov
Profile Joined February 2009
Singapore14 Posts
April 03 2010 02:58 GMT
#66
Aikido for 3 years and just started Wingchun for a month. Great and fun so far.
SF-Fork
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Russian Federation1401 Posts
April 03 2010 03:09 GMT
#67
I got brown belts simultaniously in TKD and Judo when I was a kid, but after dropping out I forgot most of it and lost all my flexibility.
Later on when I was about 20 I've gotten interested in MMA through some friends, and I started training Muay Thai in a club + BJJ with a blue belt friend.

Nowadays I'm training almost everyday and I'm preparing myself for my first amateur Muay Thai fight.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 03 2010 13:26 GMT
#68
Did kickboxing for 2.5 years, which was the best thing sport wise I ever did. I didn't compete in fights but the fitness aspect was insanely good. If anybody cares the training was with Regina Halmich's coach. Saw her stopping by there 2 times as well.

Then I moved and the new city didn't offer anything close to the training I was used to :-( Haven't done anything for 2 years but just now tried some introductory muai thai on a trip and now I am determined to resume (kick)boxing once I am home again.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
ZERG_RUSSIAN
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
10417 Posts
April 04 2010 02:00 GMT
#69
1st degree TKD, been doing it since I was 10, so about 12 years now. Started training in Japan, got my black belt in Hawaii, competed in the mainland and branched out into MMA/Aikido/BJJ/Boxing/Muay Thai. Now I just base all of my fighting on what we call a "false crack" in Hawaii.

It's basically a sucker punch.
I'm on GOLD CHAIN
JaimeR
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
148 Posts
April 04 2010 03:48 GMT
#70
Did Karate for about seven years, looking back I wish I had done say gymnastics or ballet instead for the hot chicks. Seriously, I could never do BJJ - too much man on man love for my tastes.
pokeyAA
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States936 Posts
April 04 2010 04:12 GMT
#71
unless you luck out and get a cute girl to 'roll' with you
Genjimaru
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada515 Posts
April 04 2010 04:25 GMT
#72
When I was younger I was in Karate for about 2 years. At the time I found it kinda boring. I was easily the biggest in the class and that was probably why. I was around 12 at the time. Not really sure as to what style of karate. I took a couple Shotokan karate classes, but my friend grew bored and I had no way of really getting back there on my own. Took a few Muay Thai classes at the place I originally learned karate as a kid, but it's pretty damn expensive so I was only able to go for a trial period.
Freyr
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States500 Posts
April 04 2010 04:30 GMT
#73
On April 04 2010 12:48 Jaime Raine wrote:
Did Karate for about seven years, looking back I wish I had done say gymnastics or ballet instead for the hot chicks. Seriously, I could never do BJJ - too much man on man love for my tastes.


Your idea of love seems unusual.
StayPhrosty
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada406 Posts
April 05 2010 05:25 GMT
#74
I've been practising hard-style karate for about 9 years now, and I've got to say, It's a blast. I'm a jr black belt (I turn 18 this September), and I've made the podium in several local tournaments. The dojo I practise at is fairly informal, with less focus on traditional Katas and more on sparring, grappling, weapons fighting, and kick-boxing. It's not a huge place but the senseis are awesome (one made gold at an international martial arts competition last year), and I can't wait to get a few more styles under my belt (no pun intended).
To be is to do-Socrates To do is to be-Sartre Do Be Do Be Do-Sinatra
SeeDLiNg
Profile Joined January 2010
United States690 Posts
April 05 2010 05:41 GMT
#75
BJJ and a little boxing



2-2 in MMA atm

Cody Garvey
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
April 05 2010 05:43 GMT
#76
I know Kung Fu, better watch what you say tough guys.

+ Show Spoiler +
He lives down my street, I'll go get him if you piss me off.
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-05 05:47:34
April 05 2010 05:44 GMT
#77
On April 05 2010 14:41 SeeDLiNg wrote:
BJJ and a little boxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_acLRn9r2rM&feature=player_embedded

2-2 in MMA atm

Cody Garvey


Nice, but I'm yellow belt in UFC so I could take you easy. My signature move is the kimura.

Crosstrain Strikeforce too. After 15 seconds in my guard you'd be tapping faster than a morse code operator trying to tell a train the bridge is out.
SeeDLiNg
Profile Joined January 2010
United States690 Posts
April 05 2010 05:55 GMT
#78

After 15 seconds in my guard you'd be tapping faster than a morse code operator trying to tell a train the bridge is out.


hahahaha :D
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
April 05 2010 06:40 GMT
#79
i did taekwondo for 7ish years, was about to test for my 3rd degree black belt but i had to quit since i was too busy with school stuff during senior year of high school.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Zorkit
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada66 Posts
April 05 2010 06:47 GMT
#80
karate for six years ^^
been to the canadian nationals three times now, won gold twice =D
Hopefully I can get my blackbelt soon...
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs ShamelessLIVE!
herO vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings167
SHIN 77
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 317
ByuN 279
OGKoka 270
SHIN 77
MindelVK 24
Railgan 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 69554
Calm 10495
Rain 2645
FanTaSy 1006
Bisu 966
soO 880
Soulkey 508
Stork 394
Shuttle 293
Rush 277
[ Show more ]
Soma 218
firebathero 204
Last 153
Light 147
Snow 142
Mind 89
Pusan 74
ToSsGirL 60
Shinee 44
Bale 37
Killer 32
Trap 31
Hm[arnc] 27
hero 26
Mong 26
Sharp 23
Sexy 21
Free 20
zelot 19
yabsab 17
Shine 16
HiyA 14
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 12
sorry 12
Aegong 10
IntoTheRainbow 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7611
Dendi1
League of Legends
Reynor89
Counter-Strike
x6flipin334
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King97
Other Games
gofns33988
singsing2198
byalli620
B2W.Neo296
Pyrionflax259
Chillindude9
ToD2
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV203
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 102
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV550
League of Legends
• Jankos3251
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 24m
OSC
11h 24m
Replay Cast
11h 24m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.