• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:36
CEST 13:36
KST 20:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8485 users

TL Martial Artists - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
April 02 2010 15:52 GMT
#21
agh im jealous >.<

I used to be a flexible little midget back when I was a kid, but i've lost all that

i've tried out some grappling (If judo counts lol). I've been interested in starting muay thai for a very long time and probably will, but I'm curious, how strongly would you recommend BJJ? It sounds pretty interesting, but all I have are leg and arm strength, and I think (unless my opponent is vastly weaker than me) it would be damn hard to get out of submissions etc because of my lack of flexibility.


Well, I am very new at BJJ, so I'm not exactly sure how great my recommendations will be =P

But there are a few huge things I have noticed that I like a lot more in BJJ than wrestling. First, strength does not nearly play as big a roll. My coach is a skinny, 130 pound grad student, and he can take on some of the biggest, strongest guys in our group. Second, I like the pace a lot more. Wrestling is much more frantic and aggressive (which is very noticible when I end up rolling with some of the wrestlers that attend), and BJJ is much slower, more methodical, and more strategic. This leads into my third point: You can breath in BJJ. When I was wrestling, I would be able to go for 6 - 10 minutes and be dead exhausted afterwards. When I'm grappling though, I can roll for a good 15 - 20 minutes straight, and be tired, but be ready to go a few minutes later. (Granted, I am much more conditioned now than I was a year ago.

But if the biggest thing you're worried about is being overpowered, then it's a pretty good day for you, haha. My best friend is a little lighter than me, but a great deal stronger than I am, and I am slightly better than him (in part because I have much longer limbs than he does). BJJ is all about reading your opponent and capitalizing on the way the body works. I love it, and I would highly recommend at least trying it.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
Kaboo
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden125 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-02 15:54:40
April 02 2010 15:52 GMT
#22
On April 03 2010 00:23 YouMake wrote:
My Name is Brendan Weafer. I actually run with my friend and business partner. A BJJ and Maui Thai Gym. I fight professional also

http://www.youtube.com/user/hvjj#p/u/9/-_Giod6Mp_c (im in camo shorts)


Not sure if I'm being trolled or not, but man that was a nice KO. You were ON him afterwards *clap*

Also, I'm not good or anything but I like kickboxing for the workout. No mumbo jumbo philosophy like in Kung Fu. Not saying thats bad, but it isnt for me. I do enough philosophy on my own.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication -Leonardo da Vinci
Trowabarton756
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States870 Posts
April 02 2010 15:54 GMT
#23
Ive always been interested in martial arts but never had a former teacher. I just read a lot of books on Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee and the philosophies behind it. That and I fought a lot in the school yard for experience haha.
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trowabarton756
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
April 02 2010 16:07 GMT
#24
What I did try:

At least 1 year +
- Tang Lang Quan
- Capoeira
- Judo

Less than a year
- Taekwondo

Now looking towards:
- Kyokushin Karate or Ju Jitsu (I'll probably pick up karate since it's closer to my home and I'm a lazy bastard)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
afg-warrior
Profile Joined June 2007
Afghanistan328 Posts
April 02 2010 16:17 GMT
#25
ive doing muay thai and boxing (not sure if it counts as a martial art) this past year. ive also been doing some rudementary bjj. but i prefer not to take the fight to ground. my grappling is oriented to taking the fight back up to my feet
"Yeah fuck multiplayer I'm only in this for the xel'naga" snowdrift86
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-02 16:30:40
April 02 2010 16:21 GMT
#26
Trained Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for two years. Our teacher didn't give a crap about the belt grades, so I don't know how far I got Really fun though, since you had to learn the mindset of "nothing is ever fair". If you know you're gettin in a fist fight, bring a knife. If you know you're gettin in a knife fight, bring a gun. If you know you're getting in a gun fight, kill them in their sleep the day before.

Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is the new name for Ninjutsu, in a way. The 80s weren't kind to ninjas, so I think the grandmaster changed the official name so it wouldn't be associated with the movie type ninjas. Basically, the combat system is more or less describable as classic Jiu Jitsu. The modern one is adapted for tournaments, competition and todays laws of self defense. The classic variant was to literally break legs, stab eyes and crush throats of the old Samurai warriors. For example, in modern Jiu Jitsu, you can grab your opponent and swipe his/her legs. That's changed from the "old" style, where you grabbed him/her and then broke the leg with a kick. Arguably more effective, but DEFINITELY not legal today

(EDIT: So, yeah. If you're training Bujinkan, you're doing it for fun. If you want to learn how to defend yourself, go for Jiu Jitsu or something else.)

Would love to try out Capoeira too, or Wushu. There are truly few martial arts that make you look hella cool while beating the crap out of someone. I'm probably not flexible enough for either though :/
Other than that, I actually want to try out regular boxing. Or bareknuckle boxing, unless that's illegal or something, which it probably is. Would be pretty cool though.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Zoltan
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States656 Posts
April 02 2010 16:34 GMT
#27
On April 03 2010 00:10 jcarlsoniv wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On April 03 2010 00:07 Navi wrote:
Taekwondo, because the only thing noteworthy about me in terms of martial arts is my fast kick speed; it makes for really fun sparring lol.

started when I was a kid as well, took a huge break and got my black belt... the reason why I took it up was because the two strongest people in a fight I knew were both black belts, and tho i'm physically "stronger" than one of them now, he would still hand my ass to me in a fight cause of his knowledge lol

But having continued gymnastics, you'll be at a huge advantage; other than the "fit" - ness that comes with constant exercise, you'll be awesomely flexible... I used to be able to kick above my head (albeit a bit slowly) but if I try it now, it is difficult (because of the size of certain muscles and my lack of flexibility). This means your effective reach is kickass (although I don't know if it is of extreme importance in BJJ)



Oh, I have absolutely noticed an advantage from gymnastics. I'm not very strong at all, I just don't have the right body type to have huge strength. However, I am a lanky-ass mofo (5'11", 6'4 1/2" wing span) and that reach has helped me quite a bit. My flexibility has been very useful especially in BJJ because it's all about submissions and a lot of it is using legs. Long legs + flexibility + good body sense = awesome.


LOL did you post for me?! Im also 5-11 with a 74 inch reach. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo- (got when i was 9), Swtiched to BJJ and MMA at 14 and have been training on and off for the last 10 years. Got my first amateur kickboxing win in Novemeber. If anyone in New Jersey/NY area is lookin for a sparring partner- PM me! =)
'HOW LONG HAVE THOSE REAPERS BEEN KILLING MY PROBES?!?!
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 02 2010 16:40 GMT
#28
i got to blue belt in kung fu, black belt in taekwondo
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
April 02 2010 16:53 GMT
#29
Wrestled for a year and took judo for a semester and got my blue belt. Judo was a lot of fun, love all the throws and then ground work is super fun too.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
April 02 2010 17:03 GMT
#30
LOL did you post for me?! Im also 5-11 with a 74 inch reach. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo- (got when i was 9), Swtiched to BJJ and MMA at 14 and have been training on and off for the last 10 years. Got my first amateur kickboxing win in Novemeber. If anyone in New Jersey/NY area is lookin for a sparring partner- PM me! =)


Haha, that's hilarious! I'm not sure how much you weigh, but I fluctuate from 145 to 150.

I've never been one for the striking arts. Although my reach would help, I feel like I would get caught off guard way too often and get destroyed. I like keeping my opponent close and wrap around him rather than trying to hit him from afar.

I would love to learn some Ninjitsu, I think that stuff looks so cool.
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
Wr3k
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2533 Posts
April 02 2010 17:05 GMT
#31
I did Hap Ki Do for 10 years, but ended up quitting before getting my black belt due to not having enough time for my competitive skiing. I've been considering going back, I could use the fitness
Zoltan
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States656 Posts
April 02 2010 17:21 GMT
#32
On April 03 2010 02:03 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Show nested quote +
LOL did you post for me?! Im also 5-11 with a 74 inch reach. I have a black belt in TaeKwonDo- (got when i was 9), Swtiched to BJJ and MMA at 14 and have been training on and off for the last 10 years. Got my first amateur kickboxing win in Novemeber. If anyone in New Jersey/NY area is lookin for a sparring partner- PM me! =)


Haha, that's hilarious! I'm not sure how much you weigh, but I fluctuate from 145 to 150.

I've never been one for the striking arts. Although my reach would help, I feel like I would get caught off guard way too often and get destroyed. I like keeping my opponent close and wrap around him rather than trying to hit him from afar.

I would love to learn some Ninjitsu, I think that stuff looks so cool.


Mine fluctuates 138-145. I fight at 140.
'HOW LONG HAVE THOSE REAPERS BEEN KILLING MY PROBES?!?!
pokeyAA
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States936 Posts
April 02 2010 17:36 GMT
#33
Muay Thai for like a year and a half
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
April 02 2010 17:41 GMT
#34
I did TaeKwonDo for 12 years. During my early-mid teens I was pretty good - placed in the state tournament every year and would win a match or two in the junior olympics and then later the US open. Then work and college got in the way >.<
Moderator
Omnius
Profile Joined March 2010
United States27 Posts
April 02 2010 17:48 GMT
#35
Before I got into StarCraft I did TaeKwonDo for a few years until I got my black belt. Interestingly enough, my uniform says "Pro Gosu" on the front. Apparently I a gosu in TKD. I just need to make that gosu in SC and I will transform into a Korean.
iPF[Div]
Profile Joined February 2008
Spain572 Posts
April 02 2010 17:59 GMT
#36
I was raised in tae kwon do, we moved frequently when I was a child though so it made it very difficult to advance. Even though I've only a 1st degree in freestyle tae kwon do and another in olympic, I've been training since I was five. Had won back to back state championships in arizona in forms and sparring when I was 14 & 15 (04 & 05) and started competing in NASKA training for the us open and olympics, but the knees gave out in 06, and I was unable to continue. Attempting to make a comeback I started training again a year or so a go, and I won the TASK circuit championship just a few months ago, but the competition wasn't nearly as tough as in arizona or colorado, so it's whatever. I've given up tae kwon do for the most part, tried switching to mma, and I loved it, but my legs refuse to cooperate. Any who, I'm an architecture student now, and I have to say that its the scholarly equivalent to martial arts, so I'm happy.
Since ma jae yoon and jin young soo stabbed me in the fucking back, i've got no one to rep here.
LuMiX
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
China5758 Posts
April 02 2010 18:08 GMT
#37
TKD, got 2nd dan blackbelt. I stopped 10 years ago though... xD
DoubleAce
Profile Joined June 2009
United States108 Posts
April 02 2010 18:09 GMT
#38
I've done PakHokPai Kung Fu for 7 years and have a deep understanding in other chinese kung fu. I post some videos on youtube of other styles on youtube too..
www.youtube.com/airforceonex
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
April 02 2010 18:11 GMT
#39
i got brown belt and left TWD. says a lot about my mentality at the time (11)
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
statix
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States1760 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-02 18:51:24
April 02 2010 18:48 GMT
#40
I'm a blue belt in BJJ and have been training muay thai/dutch style kickboxing for about two years now. Trained in Kali/JKD for about 6 months prior to all of the above though.


edit: i was actually thinking about posting instructionals in the blog section demonstrating a little dutch style kickboxing technique. I wasn't sure how many people would actually be interested though.
SCC-Caliban
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs ShamelessLIVE!
herO vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings167
SHIN 77
CranKy Ducklings SOOP47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 299
ByuN 274
OGKoka 270
SHIN 75
MindelVK 24
Railgan 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68144
Calm 10591
Rain 2658
soO 981
Bisu 927
FanTaSy 878
Stork 406
Soulkey 396
Rush 290
Soma 211
[ Show more ]
firebathero 197
Shuttle 167
Last 148
Snow 133
Mind 109
Light 107
ToSsGirL 74
Pusan 72
hero 43
Shinee 42
Bale 37
Trap 37
Killer 36
Sea.KH 36
Free 32
Hm[arnc] 29
Mong 26
Sharp 26
Sexy 24
zelot 20
yabsab 18
sorry 17
Shine 16
HiyA 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 11
IntoTheRainbow 10
Noble 10
Aegong 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7611
Dendi0
League of Legends
Reynor89
Counter-Strike
x6flipin316
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King72
Other Games
gofns32998
singsing2259
byalli613
Pyrionflax242
B2W.Neo226
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 102
• Gemini_19 9
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV550
League of Legends
• Jankos3251
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 24m
OSC
11h 24m
Replay Cast
11h 24m
OSC
1d
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.