• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:50
CEST 04:50
KST 11:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7772 users

Star Wars - The Old Republic - Page 8

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 248 Next
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-14 22:04:03
May 14 2011 21:59 GMT
#141
On May 15 2011 06:55 neohero9 wrote:
Fruscainte, is it safe to say that you're down on this game?

Because that's what your posts in this thread have said. All of them. You don't like this game.

Message received.


I'm sorry, I forgot this was the "Let's all suck SWTOR's cock" thread.

I'm making points of why I don't like the game. One of them is the massive financial investment of the game and the overhyping for a rather average game, which is only going to be bad for it.

It's not like I'm saying mindless shit about the game, I'm saying legitimate arguments against it. I'm not going to go into a fanboy argument, since I find that extremely immature as a proper rebuttal -- but how can I think any differently when I make a legitimate point and I'm approached with unnecessary hostility?

All I have posted in this thread, as I recall, was that there are romance story arcs + DA2 dialogue wheel, a 1:30:00 gameplay video of which I did not find up to my standards as this game was super hyped of "revolutionary" gameplay or whatever, how a good story can not support a game if the gameplay lacks, and then I made a point about how massively invested into the game this company is.

That said, I found this highly amusing: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-23-if-trailers-told-the-truth-article?page=2
neohero9
Profile Joined May 2010
United States595 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-14 22:27:51
May 14 2011 22:24 GMT
#142
It's not hostility, and I'm not sucking SWTOR's figurative pen15. I've been following the game for three years, and I've run the gamut from "super hyped this is gonna be fcking revolutionary" to "Okay, it's going to be similar in a lot of ways to what's out; but what else is it going to do? Oh right, it's BioWare. Still hyped."

You don't like the gameplay footage. Got it. Many of us do. Some, like me, really enjoy the way MMOs have been structured, and so the gameplay footage is actually encouraging to us. I like MMOs, and I like how they work nowadays. I don't like seeing the same old thing either, but if it's working, then I'm one of the legions willing to say "okay, same mechanics; how's the rest of the game work. The story, the immersiveness, the pve fight mechanics, the pvp."

You don't like how much BW is investing into it. I don't get it. It's not your money. They're a company, in a business. Their job is to invest into their product and try to get a return on it. If they don't recoup their investment, then they've failed.

And you're right, if they don't recoup they will have failed BIG, because (assuming your numbers are anywhere near accurate) their investment is considerable. More than considerable. Huge.

If the game fails, then BW is still BW and still has other IPs to work on. They're still owned by EA, so they have a medium-sized country's worth of money behind them. If the game fails, many a fanboy will be sad, and we'll have yet another box to add to the "crappy Star Wars games" pile. I own a copy of Rebel Assault 2, this pile cannot get much better.

There's a serious argument to be made about why they're investing so much. MMOs have about three seconds to be awesome or die a slow, lingering death. If an MMO is pushed out buggy, word gets around and it gets around FAST (didn't this happen to AoC or WAR?). Investing into the game (and, much to my chagrin, removing it from the 2011 release slate) will help avoid that by allowing better, longer QA. One can only hope that's what they're doing with the money. Who knows, maybe the Doctors are spending it on mountains of coke.

The romance story arcs and dialog wheel are trademarks of BioWare. They're going to use them in every single game they pump out, because it's interesting and powerful to them. It's like saying "Halo: Reach only let you carry two weapons. Do something new, Bungie."

Refer to my earlier post about the claims about SWTOR being "revolutionary". BW never claimed it would be, they actually claimed the opposite. It's going to be like current successful MMOs (so yes, like WoW), with BioWare elements added in. Namely story and full VO. Yes, they've been championing this line since the beginning, and yes I'm sick of hearing it, too. But them's the facts.

Can a game still be made to be slick, using similar concepts and adding something defining to it? You tell me: you started the Brink thread. I haven't picked that one up because of too many conflicting reports about the gameplay, tho your thread got me kind of excited. But many people, when they see Brink footage, react the same way you did to SWTOR's: "Yeah. Revolutionary. Right. Still a shooter, but with a gimmick. Not impressed."
I cannot stand ignorance or dismissiveness. I edit every post I make-- I've edited this sig three times in an hour.
Trantice
Profile Joined December 2010
United States16 Posts
May 15 2011 04:38 GMT
#143
On May 14 2011 23:49 Fruscainte wrote:
RECENT LEAKED GAMEPLAY

http://www.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649

My god it looks like shit. It literally looks like WoW with a Star Wars skin.


This was hacked off my private stream btw. I'm really sad to see this leaked out, but of course it's all over the net now. I suppose it was inevitable. I wanted to share the game with a few people in a private, controlled setting, but of course shit happens.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. I can't stream it anymore, thanks to some people who ruined it.
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
May 15 2011 04:47 GMT
#144
Hopefully BioWare doesn't come down too hard on ya.
So wait? I'm bad? =(
Trantice
Profile Joined December 2010
United States16 Posts
May 15 2011 05:04 GMT
#145
I was actually streaming with other beta members. Somehow it got out of control, even though it was password protected. I was told I could do it with beta approved participants, but that didn't go over well, since somehow the video is still listed in justin.tv's archives.

I wonder if there is someone out there that just randomly puts in the URL for videos using the "achive_popout?id=" and then adding numbers, until he find something interesting.
Poyo
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada790 Posts
May 15 2011 05:19 GMT
#146
Hmm the graphics are quite outdated it seems, and the character physics/movement looks bad. Although i'm certain it'll have a great story and it should be quite fun.
Poyo! poyo! poyo! poyo! poyo!
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
May 15 2011 05:52 GMT
#147
I for one can't wait. I love story driven RPGs and am the type to sit through every line of voice acting to immerse myself in the world. It looks like TOR will bring many, many hours of that!
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
May 15 2011 05:56 GMT
#148
On May 15 2011 14:19 Poyo wrote:
Hmm the graphics are quite outdated it seems, and the character physics/movement looks bad. Although i'm certain it'll have a great story and it should be quite fun.


Apparently bioware only likes making Mass Effect look pretty and have good animation. Their other games not so much...
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
May 15 2011 06:02 GMT
#149
On May 15 2011 14:52 snotboogie wrote:
I for one can't wait. I love story driven RPGs and am the type to sit through every line of voice acting to immerse myself in the world. It looks like TOR will bring many, many hours of that!


yup i'm in the same boat. I'm soo excited for this! Can't wait ^_^
When I think of something else, something will go here
zidaneshead
Profile Joined November 2010
245 Posts
May 15 2011 12:43 GMT
#150
On May 15 2011 13:38 Trantice wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 14 2011 23:49 Fruscainte wrote:
RECENT LEAKED GAMEPLAY

http://www.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649

My god it looks like shit. It literally looks like WoW with a Star Wars skin.


This was hacked off my private stream btw. I'm really sad to see this leaked out, but of course it's all over the net now. I suppose it was inevitable. I wanted to share the game with a few people in a private, controlled setting, but of course shit happens.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. I can't stream it anymore, thanks to some people who ruined it.


Well now that it's out there, any more videos we can watch?
Trantice
Profile Joined December 2010
United States16 Posts
May 16 2011 17:34 GMT
#151
No more videos to watch, sorry. I am actually amazed at how out of control the whole thing got. It's been completely viral.

I've actually been talking to the dev guys like I said, and it's an interesting thing. It's created quite a lot of publicity, and a lot of feedback on the game itself.

On a personal note, it'll be awhile before I stream my SC2 laddering, or my WoW raids.
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
May 16 2011 17:50 GMT
#152
Wasn't this game cancelled? Is it going to be an MMO or single player?
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
May 16 2011 18:21 GMT
#153
Too much like WoW for my tastes. I'm looking for something new in an MMO not a refinement of what's already been done to death. Better story, dialogue and cutscenes are nice, but that's not what kept me playing WoW for years.
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
May 16 2011 18:37 GMT
#154
On May 17 2011 02:50 Xeris wrote:
Wasn't this game cancelled? Is it going to be an MMO or single player?


MMO. It's supposed to come out 2011/2012.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
May 16 2011 19:18 GMT
#155
On May 17 2011 02:34 Trantice wrote:
No more videos to watch, sorry. I am actually amazed at how out of control the whole thing got. It's been completely viral.

I've actually been talking to the dev guys like I said, and it's an interesting thing. It's created quite a lot of publicity, and a lot of feedback on the game itself.

On a personal note, it'll be awhile before I stream my SC2 laddering, or my WoW raids.


So the dev's know you did this, know it got leaked i imagine, are you in trouble at all? are the devs pist or what? Sucks you can't stream it no more
When I think of something else, something will go here
Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
May 16 2011 19:22 GMT
#156
I think it looks a lot like WoW except it doesn't have the universe to back it up like warcraft did. Personally I find the star wars universe to be super boring, it can't decide if it wants to be realistic like star trek or fantasy driven with jedi/visions. Couple that with a lack of strong lead characters, and I think it makes for a boring RPG (KOTOR, I'm looking at you.. The whole reason I played you was to get a light saber..)
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
Eishi_Ki
Profile Joined April 2009
Korea (South)1667 Posts
May 16 2011 20:02 GMT
#157
On May 17 2011 04:22 Endymion wrote:
I think it looks a lot like WoW except it doesn't have the universe to back it up like warcraft did. Personally I find the star wars universe to be super boring, it can't decide if it wants to be realistic like star trek or fantasy driven with jedi/visions. Couple that with a lack of strong lead characters, and I think it makes for a boring RPG (KOTOR, I'm looking at you.. The whole reason I played you was to get a light saber..)


Wait what? One moment you say it doesn't have a universe, then the next you say the universe is boring...

Also I'm not sure you're aware but the Star Wars extended universe it absolutely MASSIVE, the potential for the story telling is virtually limitless.

How are you sure there are no strong lead characters? Have you personally played through the story? What can you tell me about it?

In honesty, your opinion is yours and I have no right to say against it, but I would at the very least expect you to educate that opinion to make it even remotely valuable. /endrant
Mattes
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany1116 Posts
May 16 2011 20:08 GMT
#158
Even though its unfortunate for you, Trantice, nevertheless, thanks for the footage.

Suppose your still under NDA, but now that the cat is out of the bag (and we're under us here on TL P ). first impressions? How does it feel overall?
"Eyo lesson' here, Bey. You're comin' at the king, you best not miss."
Battleaxe
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States843 Posts
May 16 2011 20:19 GMT
#159
Personally, I'm looking forward to the game, but the longer I wait the more disheartened I've become. After attempting to switch over from WoW to numerous other MMO's on their launch (AoC, WAR, Aion to name a few), I always found myself going back to WoW due to some major unpolished feature. In the case of Age of Conan, (which was probably the game I switched to with the most excitement for) there was a host of problems, but what ultimately caused me and many of the people who were in my guild to quit was the lack of end game content.

In this respect, I'm hopeful that BioWare is doing their part to make sure the game is as polished as possible, because I think that's the only way the game will succeed. It has plenty of story to back it up, tons of content that can be added, so the only thing I can see holding the game back is initial execution. This article I think does a really good job in explaining what Bioware is looking to do with the game, as well as why there are a lot of concerns about how the game will end up.

Something else that wasn't mentioned was some recent figures that have popped up, (perhaps in speculation, although many outlets seem to be deeming the figures credible) that the game will only need 500k subscribers in order to turn a profit. This article goes into detail on this a bit more for those who are interested in that as well.

I think more interesting then the game itself is the discussion of whether this game will follow the traditional western market of charging per month (presumably $15), or go with that of the more recent eastern developers by using micro transactions. I would be shocked to see EA attempt to use micro transactions, as that generally means some sort of gameplay restriction.

EA seems to have finally slotted an official release for sometime this year, whether that happens is yet to be seen. I know I'm going to be anxiously chomping at the bit waiting to play this, and hopefully it'll keep me entertained and interested in playing for a couple years.

Tons of people are saying this game will fail miserably, but I can't figure out if they are true mmo enthusiasts, star wars haters, wow fanboys, or a myriad of other possibilities. For those who aren't interested in dealing with an MMO during its release, I encourage you to wait on the reviews and make sure the game is for you. For those of you who plan on playing on release, please don't sit back and wait on buying the game, you'll only be harming the chances for the game to succeed. And really, if the game sucks, and you don't think it's worth renewing after your free month, then it'll be like every other major MMO released in the past 5 or so years, so what else is new?
Without a community, we're all just a bunch of geeks.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
May 16 2011 20:24 GMT
#160
On May 17 2011 05:02 Eishi_Ki wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2011 04:22 Endymion wrote:
I think it looks a lot like WoW except it doesn't have the universe to back it up like warcraft did. Personally I find the star wars universe to be super boring, it can't decide if it wants to be realistic like star trek or fantasy driven with jedi/visions. Couple that with a lack of strong lead characters, and I think it makes for a boring RPG (KOTOR, I'm looking at you.. The whole reason I played you was to get a light saber..)


Wait what? One moment you say it doesn't have a universe, then the next you say the universe is boring...

Also I'm not sure you're aware but the Star Wars extended universe it absolutely MASSIVE, the potential for the story telling is virtually limitless.

How are you sure there are no strong lead characters? Have you personally played through the story? What can you tell me about it?

In honesty, your opinion is yours and I have no right to say against it, but I would at the very least expect you to educate that opinion to make it even remotely valuable. /endrant


Yeah I have to agree with you. How you can say the star wars has no universe (lol) and boring is just what... Having read the expanded universe, its absolutely amazing and that is why I am so excited for this game. Being able to go around the galaxy, visiting other planets is awesome. Way better then being stuck on one planet the entire game .

Sounds like star wars is just something endy doesn't understand or just blind hatred towards it either way sucks you don't enjoy star wars endy but the reasons you dislike it (lack of universe and boring) are just well kind of weird ^^
When I think of something else, something will go here
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 248 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 245
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 192
Terrorterran 20
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm211
League of Legends
Doublelift5964
JimRising 779
Counter-Strike
taco 293
minikerr44
Other Games
summit1g12169
C9.Mang0392
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1219
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP173
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo161
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 11m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 11m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 11m
Replay Cast
20h 11m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.