• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:40
CEST 15:40
KST 22:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9039 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 69

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 75 Next
Spykiller
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway87 Posts
June 28 2014 21:14 GMT
#1361
I just finished my first game, as I was invaded by 110 goblins and 10 trolls. And my lever didnt raise the drawbridge... well well the motto of the game is "loosing is fun" right?

So can anyone recomend a site for Dwarf Fortress stories?
Dont worry about what you miss, be happy for what you experience
xccam
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Great Britain1154 Posts
June 29 2014 11:31 GMT
#1362
I recommend Boatsmurdered if you haven't seen it.

STRIKE THE EARTH!
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
July 06 2014 15:10 GMT
#1363
On June 26 2014 23:27 ]343[ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 26 2014 00:14 r.Evo wrote:
On June 25 2014 23:30 BobMcJohnson wrote:
That's pretty cool wow :o
How does it fare performance wise? I suppose it has a non negligible fps cost :/

Pretty much zero impact since DF isn't multithreaded and DFHack/Stonesense run on their own threads. :o


on my slow-ass non-gaming laptop it brought fps down from 15 to like 10 :p


well, now I remember why it's running so slowly: 260 dwarves, 869 animals, and two water reactors
Writer
Isualin
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany1903 Posts
July 06 2014 15:40 GMT
#1364
The same plugin which enabled infinite tiles also has multi z level viewing support.
So we see this instead of this.
P.S:Images stolen from reddit.
| INnoVation | The literal god TY | ByuNjwa | LRSL when? |
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 07 2014 23:50 GMT
#1365
Dwarf Fortress is finally receiving its long-awaited update. DF2014 is coming out this week, barring any unforeseen Toady problems. There's a ton of new updates to both the game and the Starter Pack mods, from the stonesense overlay to multi z-level viewing to Dwarf Therapist optimization plans. I'll do a detailed write-up once stuff has been given a proper release. In the meantime, GET HYPE!
TL+ Member
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
July 08 2014 01:22 GMT
#1366
IT'S HAPPENING PEOPLE
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
ghost_403
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1825 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 03:00:31
July 08 2014 01:31 GMT
#1367
On June 29 2014 06:14 Spykiller wrote:
I just finished my first game, as I was invaded by 110 goblins and 10 trolls. And my lever didnt raise the drawbridge... well well the motto of the game is "loosing is fun" right?

So can anyone recomend a site for Dwarf Fortress stories?


I would highly recommend the saga of Roomcarnage. Zombie_Giant_Sponge has been telling this particularly riveting tale for the last few weeks, and it's been an amazing experience.

In one word: terrifying haunted volcano glacier

e: links help
They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Aperture, we do all our science from scratch, no hand holding. Step aside, REAL SCIENCE coming through.
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
July 08 2014 02:24 GMT
#1368
Is there anyone with a massive let's play of this? Best I've seen was Quill18 but he didn't last all that long. I'm looking for someone that basically "beats" the game as in does pretty much everything, has a huge empire, etc. Mostly because I'd like to see if it's possible or if the game always wins no matter what.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 08 2014 02:51 GMT
#1369
As with Sim City (and other Sim games), there's no victory condition in Dwarf Fortress, but if you define winning as staying alive and doing "everything" while maintaining a stable fort, then yes that's possible, and not actually that difficult if you use everything the game has to offer. Calm and serene surroundings, tons of minerals, river, volcano, temperate or higher region where you have plenty of water, lots of trees, and using all kinds of dwarf tricks (drawbridges, long-ass trapped single-tile entrance you can lock down, magma floodgates, etc. etc. etc.) will make your fortress practically impregnable.

I don't know if anyone has done a really good writeup of such a fortress. Most of the famous stories are stories of epic failures, or singular events like deadly sieges you barely survive, simply because they make for the best stories. In DF, losing is fun, and it's how you move on to the next site and the next game.
TL+ Member
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 02:53:33
July 08 2014 02:51 GMT
#1370
On July 08 2014 11:24 Kurr wrote:
Is there anyone with a massive let's play of this? Best I've seen was Quill18 but he didn't last all that long. I'm looking for someone that basically "beats" the game as in does pretty much everything, has a huge empire, etc. Mostly because I'd like to see if it's possible or if the game always wins no matter what.

Closest you can get to "beating" the game would to get the Monarch to join your mountain home, but there really is no... winning.

https://www.youtube.com/user/captnduck

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRk1mDDoAbXA0ysZ5Wz72Ig

Might be your best bets. SilverDragonLord has pretty strong Let's plays of Masterwork, captain duck does more tutorial-y things tho.

e: I knew I missed someone. This guy here also ends up dealing with more advanced/endgame stuff pretty regularly. No clue whether he did new stuff since this series here tho.

"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
July 08 2014 02:59 GMT
#1371
if you play lame like me it's pretty reasonable to have a basically invincible fort (at least in 34.11): i pull up the drawbridges every time an invasion comes (and put up literally hundreds of traps outside), and don't allow access from the caves/*FUN* down below into my fort.

after that it's all about maintaining happiness, which is pretty possible after you've learned all the myriad ways to get pissed off dwarves
Writer
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 08 2014 03:05 GMT
#1372
I guess I can mention that I'm doing a write-up of my current fortress in progress just for fun, but I have no idea how long it'll last. It's a scary location (terrifying/tower with added megabeasts, titans, and mature dragons), I'm avoiding doing almost all exploits, and it's NOT Masterwork so there's a number of things I can't do.

The story is still very much in progress, and I go back and edit things periodically as well as tweak the template. It's still early in the game so it won't be of much interest yet, but if it turns out that I get some good stories to tell from its rise and fall, I intend to post it. I want to finish this fortress (and the write-up) before moving on to DF2014.
TL+ Member
Nocticate
Profile Joined May 2013
Vatican City State2902 Posts
July 08 2014 03:18 GMT
#1373
On July 08 2014 11:51 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 08 2014 11:24 Kurr wrote:
Is there anyone with a massive let's play of this? Best I've seen was Quill18 but he didn't last all that long. I'm looking for someone that basically "beats" the game as in does pretty much everything, has a huge empire, etc. Mostly because I'd like to see if it's possible or if the game always wins no matter what.

Closest you can get to "beating" the game would to get the Monarch to join your mountain home, but there really is no... winning.

https://www.youtube.com/user/captnduck

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRk1mDDoAbXA0ysZ5Wz72Ig

Might be your best bets. SilverDragonLord has pretty strong Let's plays of Masterwork, captain duck does more tutorial-y things tho.

e: I knew I missed someone. This guy here also ends up dealing with more advanced/endgame stuff pretty regularly. No clue whether he did new stuff since this series here tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdvSwm7aFM

Someone also successfully colonized
+ Show Spoiler +
Hell

which is probably as close as you get in my book.
Chairman Mao tells us imperialist Dota is a paper tiger
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
July 08 2014 06:40 GMT
#1374
I think i'll wait for at least one patch before even bothering... with all the new features i can't imagine this will be playable.
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 08 2014 08:11 GMT
#1375
Probably a good call, nttea. At the very least I'm going to wait until the tools I use have updated. No way am I playing this without Dwarf Therapist.
TL+ Member
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-08 13:15:01
July 08 2014 13:14 GMT
#1376
Pretty excited for this update. Here's a random Adventure playthrough someone else detailed:


>adventure mode
>shatter both legs jumping from a tree and trying to grab another tree
>can only crawl around
>drag myself into some building
>flop down some stairs
>maceman standing by a column
>shout a greeting in his direction
>tell him about the child I killed in the last village
>grab his foot, drag him to the ground and bite his throat repeatedly
>gouge out his eyes with my thumbs
>bite his throat some more until he dies
>roll around in his blood
>realize I’ve been crying
>try to drink tears to quench thirst, it doesn’t work
>crawl into other room
>pikeman standing by a wall
>shout a greeting at him
>tell him about the guy I just killed
>he spits at me and starts crying
>keep telling him I killed the guy
>he keeps spitting and repeating “It was inevitable” as though trying to console himself
>tell him I’m the lord of this settlement now
>says he doesn’t care
>crawl over to him and grab his nose
>he stabs me in the chest through his tears, mortal wound
>crawl around vomiting and shouting at him while he cries
>I’m crying too
>eventually grab his foot and take him down and bite his throat out
>crawl around and vomit some more
>retire as lord of blood and vomit
Logo
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 14 2014 14:03 GMT
#1377
I was going to finish this fortress before moving on to DF 2014, but I have reached a state of stability and safety. While there's a ton more to do and accomplish, I don't really want to spend weeks on it now that the latest version of the game is playable. Thus, I've decided to simply archive it and leave it alone.

Here's the fortress as of two days ago (click for way bigger version):

[image loading]
TL+ Member
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-14 14:09:25
July 14 2014 14:09 GMT
#1378
Aylear that's amazing, i've never managed to get anything even close to that beautiful. My fortress always ends up being a cramped mess haphazardly expanded in random directions.
edit: not to mention the scenery
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
July 14 2014 18:03 GMT
#1379
On July 14 2014 23:09 nttea wrote:
Aylear that's amazing, i've never managed to get anything even close to that beautiful. My fortress always ends up being a cramped mess haphazardly expanded in random directions.
edit: not to mention the scenery


+1 to this! It seems like the only way this is possible is to plan for it very early on, and at that stage I just dig randomly lol

Aylear, did you upload your fort to http://mkv25.net/dfma/?
Writer
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 14 2014 18:20 GMT
#1380
Thanks a lot, lads! Yes, it was definitely planned right from the start, with running alterations happening as I dig out select areas and decide on new needs or desires. Here's the first blueprint of the same level as in the image above. A number of things were changed before I started digging, but it shows the kind of planning and care that went into this project.

No, I haven't uploaded it. I didn't even remember that this site exists. My fortress is on an old version now anyway, so it's unlikely that anyone will care. I'll just leave it in picture form for the time being. =)
TL+ Member
Prev 1 67 68 69 70 71 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 248
MaxPax 149
Rex 92
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 66520
Calm 3681
Shuttle 3037
Bisu 2044
FanTaSy 1568
EffOrt 447
Soma 333
Stork 318
Mini 309
Hyuk 270
[ Show more ]
firebathero 259
Rush 238
Light 236
ZerO 166
Snow 143
Last 139
Soulkey 137
Zeus 103
actioN 103
Barracks 102
Killer 74
hero 70
Dewaltoss 61
Sea.KH 59
Mong 54
Pusan 46
Hyun 44
sorry 43
Shinee 42
ToSsGirL 37
Bale 33
NotJumperer 32
Free 30
Shine 27
Yoon 26
PianO 22
Aegong 20
Sharp 19
yabsab 18
zelot 14
HiyA 12
Sacsri 10
Noble 6
Icarus 5
Dota 2
Gorgc6676
Dendi814
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1367
kRYSTAL_138
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko440
Other Games
gofns40394
singsing2135
B2W.Neo671
hiko384
crisheroes288
DeMusliM226
Livibee196
byalli195
Hui .157
Liquid`VortiX94
Mew2King88
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 35m
Replay Cast
9h 20m
OSC
1d 9h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 20h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.