• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:26
CEST 23:26
KST 06:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8257 users

Dwarf Fortress - Addiction in ASCII - Page 71

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 69 70 71 72 73 75 Next
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
July 21 2014 19:55 GMT
#1401
Aw man! Well, that's an interesting bug.
TL+ Member
Pennyblue
Profile Joined June 2014
United Kingdom11 Posts
July 21 2014 23:56 GMT
#1402
Loving the 'Axedwarf stands up' picture haha. I always see loads of DF stuff online. Haven't made a proper effort to learn it before, planning to play a bunch when I reformat my laptop in the next couple of days. There's just too much humour to miss out on it
Professional Carebear. 'Life is just a combination of Magic and Pasta' - Federico Fellini
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
July 23 2014 02:39 GMT
#1403
Anybody else have the exploding fruit problem?

Apparently when fruit falls from a tall enough tree, it explodes when it hits the ground. It also apparently counts as a cave-in, because it can punch holes in the ground and can knock dwarves out. I just had a dwarf die from a bunker busting plum.
Who called in the fleet?
batsnacks
Profile Blog Joined April 2014
United States4466 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-23 04:21:27
July 23 2014 02:59 GMT
#1404
On July 23 2014 11:39 Millitron wrote:
Anybody else have the exploding fruit problem?

Apparently when fruit falls from a tall enough tree, it explodes when it hits the ground. It also apparently counts as a cave-in, because it can punch holes in the ground and can knock dwarves out. I just had a dwarf die from a bunker busting plum.


No but I am having a problem with dwarves climbing/falling asleep in trees. Actually it's not sleeping in trees that's the problem, it's waking up and forgetting they are in a tree, rushing out of said tree, falling and breaking their legs that is the problem.


Dear Urist McDrunkclimber,

Please stop drinking so much that you fall asleep in a tree. You have a bedroom, why are you sleeping in a tree? Next time I am leaving your legs broken, then you won't be able to climb at all.
Flameberger
Profile Joined March 2010
United States227 Posts
July 23 2014 03:30 GMT
#1405
I wouldn't classify exploding fruit or drunk dwarves falling out of trees to be problems. Sounds like a good day in Dwarf Fortress to me.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-28 15:08:58
July 28 2014 15:07 GMT
#1406
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Holy shit these patchnotes. I think the new version can be considered stable, sadly MW will take till around autumn to update. I think as soon as my current fort explodes I'll swap over myself though. <3

PS:
Stopped hyper-obese digesting dwarves from constantly recalculating insulation/mass data (ag)

...the mere fact that a bug like this can happen on accident makes me so damn happy that a dev like Toady exists. <333³
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
July 28 2014 15:22 GMT
#1407
There are some other good gems in there too:


Stopped ghosts from being able to realize dreams after they are dead
fixed problem with squid skin coloration
gave crabs, horseshoe crabs, oysters and mussels blue blood
fixed various broken eyelash color/descriptions
Logo
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-26 07:52:02
August 26 2014 07:49 GMT
#1408
0.40.10 is out, I updated the OP with links to 0.40 versions and utilities.

I'm also looking for screenshots to include in the OP, if you have some good one could you upload them to imgur and post links here? Glorious ASCII and Tilesets alike
Romanes eunt domus
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-26 09:10:20
August 26 2014 09:10 GMT
#1409
dwarves should no longer have a preference for eating the various fruit trees (the whole tree, not the fruit).

Now that's a DF bug
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
gTank
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria2668 Posts
August 26 2014 09:43 GMT
#1410
Is it time to start again? :O
What packs/mods would you suggest for beginners?
One crossed wire, one wayward pinch of potassium chlorate, one errant twitch...and kablooie!
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-26 11:54:36
August 26 2014 11:46 GMT
#1411
Get the starter pack linked in the OP, it includes everything you need to start and more

Its launcher allows you to easily install tilesets and lauch Dwarf Therapist plus options like sound and population cap.
There are also a lot more options/utilities that come with it but I wouldn't worry too much about them at first.

The Quickstart guide on the wiki (see OP again) is a good starting tutorial. It'll help you establish the vital functions of a fortress, and the rest of the wiki will help you with anything more advanced.

edit: while digging for screenshots, I found a pic of my last 0.34.11 fortress that I tried to build mostly on a single level (warning huge)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

It's not exacly the last iteration, I then diverted the river above, to action a pump stack to get magma up there, but I got bored from waiting the construction of the 60 or so pumps that I needed to complete it. plus fps death was starting to kick in
Romanes eunt domus
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
August 28 2014 17:17 GMT
#1412
On August 26 2014 18:43 gTank wrote:
Is it time to start again? :O
What packs/mods would you suggest for beginners?


40.10 is in pretty good shape. There's still a few bugs around things like dwarves being counted as enemies if they free caged prisoners, but otherwise it runs pretty well and saves are expected to be forward compatible at this point.
Logo
CoughingHydra
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
177 Posts
September 23 2014 13:58 GMT
#1413
I just found out about this game, watched a few youtube videos; the game seems awesome, the legends mode stories are cool, etc..

I'm curious though, does anyone know whether the whole world updates at every frame locally (i.e. there exists precise local coordinates for every object/creature, etc.) or there's just some kind of global heuristic model, and also is it the same with world generation. I presume yes, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere explicitly.
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-23 14:41:44
September 23 2014 14:39 GMT
#1414
If I remember correctly it's something like

In fortress mode, your embark zone (or at least the explored part of it) updates every tick.
For the rest of the world, since 0.40, the whole world updates while you play but not every tick (a bigger interval - month? season?).

In versions preceding 0.40, the world would update in-between games (when you lose/abandon a fortress).

Adventure mode, no clue.



edit; 40.13 is out btw. things are getting pretty stable now
Romanes eunt domus
Millitron
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2611 Posts
September 23 2014 15:21 GMT
#1415
On September 23 2014 22:58 CoughingHydra wrote:
I just found out about this game, watched a few youtube videos; the game seems awesome, the legends mode stories are cool, etc..

I'm curious though, does anyone know whether the whole world updates at every frame locally (i.e. there exists precise local coordinates for every object/creature, etc.) or there's just some kind of global heuristic model, and also is it the same with world generation. I presume yes, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere explicitly.

The whole world is never simulated as precisely as any local area (fort or adventurer). Not in world generation or mid-game.

Whatever abstractions happen work pretty well though. I've seen people have previously-retired adventurers show up to their fort as an immigrant. I've seen dwarves from previous forts move in. That's actually got a minor problem with it. Dwarves from previous forts remember their mood. So if you lost a fort to a tantrum spiral and some of the survivors show up as immigrants to your next fort, they'll still be pissed off.
Who called in the fleet?
CoughingHydra
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
177 Posts
September 23 2014 16:38 GMT
#1416
On September 24 2014 00:21 Millitron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2014 22:58 CoughingHydra wrote:
I just found out about this game, watched a few youtube videos; the game seems awesome, the legends mode stories are cool, etc..

I'm curious though, does anyone know whether the whole world updates at every frame locally (i.e. there exists precise local coordinates for every object/creature, etc.) or there's just some kind of global heuristic model, and also is it the same with world generation. I presume yes, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere explicitly.

The whole world is never simulated as precisely as any local area (fort or adventurer). Not in world generation or mid-game.

Whatever abstractions happen work pretty well though. I've seen people have previously-retired adventurers show up to their fort as an immigrant. I've seen dwarves from previous forts move in. That's actually got a minor problem with it. Dwarves from previous forts remember their mood. So if you lost a fort to a tantrum spiral and some of the survivors show up as immigrants to your next fort, they'll still be pissed off.

Ah, ok, thanks, that makes more sense.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
September 24 2014 20:38 GMT
#1417
On September 24 2014 00:21 Millitron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2014 22:58 CoughingHydra wrote:
I just found out about this game, watched a few youtube videos; the game seems awesome, the legends mode stories are cool, etc..

I'm curious though, does anyone know whether the whole world updates at every frame locally (i.e. there exists precise local coordinates for every object/creature, etc.) or there's just some kind of global heuristic model, and also is it the same with world generation. I presume yes, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere explicitly.

The whole world is never simulated as precisely as any local area (fort or adventurer). Not in world generation or mid-game.

Whatever abstractions happen work pretty well though. I've seen people have previously-retired adventurers show up to their fort as an immigrant. I've seen dwarves from previous forts move in. That's actually got a minor problem with it. Dwarves from previous forts remember their mood. So if you lost a fort to a tantrum spiral and some of the survivors show up as immigrants to your next fort, they'll still be pissed off.


Also during fortress play (and perhaps adventure mode?) all invasions are successful which sort of leads to goblins spreading like wildfire and/or possibly killing off your civilization.
Logo
D2HLC
Profile Joined February 2011
Cook Islands22 Posts
October 16 2014 15:48 GMT
#1418
Thinking of starting this game, looks like its worth playing for a long duration.

I was wondering whats the best way to play? multiplayer or single?
BobMcJohnson
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
France2916 Posts
October 16 2014 15:57 GMT
#1419
There's no multiplayer mode
Romanes eunt domus
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
October 16 2014 18:45 GMT
#1420
there's fortress mode and adventure mode, though
Writer
Prev 1 69 70 71 72 73 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ZombieGrub272
Nina 161
NeuroSwarm 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14586
scan(afreeca) 24
Bale 14
NaDa 11
Dota 2
febbydoto18
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King51
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4107
Liquid`Hasu679
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1998
summit1g1759
shahzam595
WinterStarcraft370
ToD291
C9.Mang0288
JuggernautJason36
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1009
Other Games
• imaqtpie1043
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
12h 34m
INu's Battles
13h 34m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
15h 34m
OSC
1d
Replay Cast
1d 1h
OSC
2 days
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.