• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:40
CEST 03:40
KST 10:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7322 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 38

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 73 Next
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 06:11 GMT
#741
On October 17 2015 14:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
on average how long do ranked games (I know there's probably not a clean average but like how many games can you get through in say 3-4 hours) take and does it vary that much depending on rank?


I'd say the average game takes about an hour. It doesn't vary much on the rank tbh
Mozdk
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark6989 Posts
October 17 2015 07:56 GMT
#742
On October 17 2015 14:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
on average how long do ranked games (I know there's probably not a clean average but like how many games can you get through in say 3-4 hours) take and does it vary that much depending on rank?


45 mins on avr is my best guess.

I've had games last 30 mins, and others around an hour. When you start, it says it can last up to 90 mins.
"It's really hard to Protoss" - White-Ra |||| "Apedts are dfucking amazing" - Lorning
Ktk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)753 Posts
October 17 2015 11:08 GMT
#743
I have an i7 990x and GTX 460, and I'm wondering about the minimum required graphics card for 300fps at 1080p assuming CPU isn't bottlenecking (... It's not... Right?)

- Preferrably high shadows? Or is that overhyped with regards to smoke effects?

I play on lowest everything @ 1080p and can't maintain 150fps lock currently - disappointing! Looking into smoke really kills my fps, to below 80. I think something might actually be wrong with my card, even. I know this generation of GPUs ran hot by wow, >95C if I don't fps_max, 85C if fps_max 150?

Would upgrading to the GTX970 bump me to 300 constant? Is that overkill?
Would a GTX960 or R9 270x suffice?
Nagisama
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada4481 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 11:44:55
October 17 2015 11:44 GMT
#744
Probably a 970 to be safe? Question might be better for Tech Support though. Might also depend on your budget. I'm running 4670k/280x, but I keep my fps capped at 200. (just tested and apparently it can go to 300 with slight dips). There's a CPU bottle neck in general, but I think your 990x clears any of that.
Calendar"Everyone who has accomplished more than you has no life; Everyone who has accomplished less than you is a noob." | Elem: "nagi is actually really smart"
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 12:01 GMT
#745
On October 17 2015 16:56 Mozdk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2015 14:51 Karis Vas Ryaar wrote:
on average how long do ranked games (I know there's probably not a clean average but like how many games can you get through in say 3-4 hours) take and does it vary that much depending on rank?


45 mins on avr is my best guess.

I've had games last 30 mins, and others around an hour. When you start, it says it can last up to 90 mins.


If you take into consideration the warmup, buy time, after end of round time and bomb planted exactly before the round time runs out, a match could theoretically last up to 100 minutes :p
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 12:07 GMT
#746
On October 17 2015 20:08 Ktk wrote:
I have an i7 990x and GTX 460, and I'm wondering about the minimum required graphics card for 300fps at 1080p assuming CPU isn't bottlenecking (... It's not... Right?)

- Preferrably high shadows? Or is that overhyped with regards to smoke effects?

I play on lowest everything @ 1080p and can't maintain 150fps lock currently - disappointing! Looking into smoke really kills my fps, to below 80. I think something might actually be wrong with my card, even. I know this generation of GPUs ran hot by wow, >95C if I don't fps_max, 85C if fps_max 150?

Would upgrading to the GTX970 bump me to 300 constant? Is that overkill?
Would a GTX960 or R9 270x suffice?


High shadows is the most important of the graphics settings, everything else can be set to low or to any preference.

Your graphics card is extremely outdated and is indeed what is holding you back, but you wont need a 500 dollar replacement for cs:go. A gtx 780 will be enough. Going for the 9-series isnt in itself stupid tho, as any fps gain is a bonus (I hear up to 200 is very noticeable, while doubling to 400 has nearly no effect), and you can use it for other games with higher requirements (like fallout 4 )
xxsaznpride
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States506 Posts
October 17 2015 12:12 GMT
#747
If the human eye can't see beyond ~80fps and pros only use 120hz/144hz monitors, what point is there in going up to 300fps?

I mean, I've seen a lot of them (pros) on Twitch swear by 300fps, but I don't get it.
“Life is too short to embrace a woman I don’t love. I also think a woman’s life is too short to be embraced by a man she doesn’t love.” | CSGO: Cure Moonlight
b3nd3r
Profile Joined February 2015
Germany158 Posts
October 17 2015 12:43 GMT
#748
On October 17 2015 21:12 xxsaznpride wrote:
If the human eye can't see beyond ~80fps and pros only use 120hz/144hz monitors, what point is there in going up to 300fps?

I mean, I've seen a lot of them (pros) on Twitch swear by 300fps, but I don't get it.


As far as I know it refers to the update rate you are getting (from the server). So if you compare 80 to 300 fps you have a slightly higher update rate at 300 fps (particularly at 128 tick) which can give you a small advantage to players with lower fps.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Sweet photons. I don't know if you're waves or particles, but you go down smooth.
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 15:05:27
October 17 2015 14:59 GMT
#749
I'll explain it as best I can:

Your game and screen both has seperate refresh rates, that are not in sync with each other. So your screen, 60 times a second, will grab the latest frame your computer has updated. If the time between your last frame is long, it won't feel as smooth as if it's short. The best case scenario is to have your graphics card update a frame and immediately send it to your screen, but since you can't do this (not yet anyways), the best way is to brute force as many frames as you can between your screen's, so the time difference is as short as possible. Better refresh rate on your screen will also help this.

This video explains it much better than I ever can. It does have some minor mistakes in it, but the general idea is correct.

corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
October 17 2015 15:02 GMT
#750
Getting to level 3 is so long how does the weekly bonus work ?
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 15:12 GMT
#751
On October 18 2015 00:02 corumjhaelen wrote:
Getting to level 3 is so long how does the weekly bonus work ?


Unknown actually, but it seems to give you a certain set of extra xp a week, so it doesn't matter if you get it through one mode or another, as you'll just be using it up quicker.

If you play enough, there's also a minus modifier..which we also doesn't know exactly how it works. But basically you're stuck at a maximum xp every week, and a certain part of it can be gained quicker.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 15:40:42
October 17 2015 15:32 GMT
#752
Ok thanks giod it's here because with 70 points per ten minutes would take ages... Edit : about 25h actually...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Yrr
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany805 Posts
October 17 2015 15:45 GMT
#753
I had a bug in the game just now where I wasnt able to hear anyones voice chat.
Yesterday everything was fine and I didnt change any settings.
MMR decay is bad, m'kay? | Personal Hero: TerranHwaiting
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 15:55:57
October 17 2015 15:55 GMT
#754
On October 18 2015 00:45 Yrr wrote:
I had a bug in the game just now where I wasnt able to hear anyones voice chat.
Yesterday everything was fine and I didnt change any settings.


Just a quick check: If you mute yourself in game (accidentally or otherwise), you wont be able to hear your teammates either. So first off go check that you're on "push to talk" in your settings. If that's on, then it's indeed a bug and a simple restart should work. There's a lot of bugs in this game
Yrr
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany805 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-17 15:58:13
October 17 2015 15:56 GMT
#755
On October 18 2015 00:55 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2015 00:45 Yrr wrote:
I had a bug in the game just now where I wasnt able to hear anyones voice chat.
Yesterday everything was fine and I didnt change any settings.


Just a quick check: If you mute yourself in game (accidentally or otherwise), you wont be able to hear your teammates either. So first off go check that you're on "push to talk" in your settings. If that's on, then it's indeed a bug and a simple restart should work. There's a lot of bugs in this game

I checked that 10times during that game
I didnt think of a restart though. Might do that if it happens again.
MMR decay is bad, m'kay? | Personal Hero: TerranHwaiting
Nagisama
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada4481 Posts
October 17 2015 17:05 GMT
#756
On October 18 2015 00:02 corumjhaelen wrote:
Getting to level 3 is so long how does the weekly bonus work ?

You're given a set amount of bonus xp per week.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=24756121
Calendar"Everyone who has accomplished more than you has no life; Everyone who has accomplished less than you is a noob." | Elem: "nagi is actually really smart"
Ktk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)753 Posts
October 17 2015 20:57 GMT
#757
On October 17 2015 21:07 Excludos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2015 20:08 Ktk wrote:
I have an i7 990x and GTX 460, and I'm wondering about the minimum required graphics card for 300fps at 1080p assuming CPU isn't bottlenecking (... It's not... Right?)

- Preferrably high shadows? Or is that overhyped with regards to smoke effects?

I play on lowest everything @ 1080p and can't maintain 150fps lock currently - disappointing! Looking into smoke really kills my fps, to below 80. I think something might actually be wrong with my card, even. I know this generation of GPUs ran hot by wow, >95C if I don't fps_max, 85C if fps_max 150?

Would upgrading to the GTX970 bump me to 300 constant? Is that overkill?
Would a GTX960 or R9 270x suffice?


High shadows is the most important of the graphics settings, everything else can be set to low or to any preference.

Your graphics card is extremely outdated and is indeed what is holding you back, but you wont need a 500 dollar replacement for cs:go. A gtx 780 will be enough. Going for the 9-series isnt in itself stupid tho, as any fps gain is a bonus (I hear up to 200 is very noticeable, while doubling to 400 has nearly no effect), and you can use it for other games with higher requirements (like fallout 4 )


Thanks, actually just watched a 3kiks video on how it effects Molotovs too, lol (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5-aqgwBhM4)

Speaking of bugs...
Frustratingly, I've been getting frustrating graphics bugs in de_cache. I can't look behind T-spawn or towards behind quad at A without my monitor literally going black for a few seconds. I've just unchecked it for now.

I also can't play the game on multiplayer servers without changing my graphics settings (e.g. from fullscreen to windowed, then going back). If I don't do this, the game boots me in loading. :< So yeah, lots of bugs in csgo. Didn't have them when I started playing either!
Mozdk
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark6989 Posts
October 17 2015 23:28 GMT
#758
What is the command that enables me to fly around, so I can check where my smokes go?
"It's really hard to Protoss" - White-Ra |||| "Apedts are dfucking amazing" - Lorning
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 23:55 GMT
#759
On October 18 2015 08:28 Mozdk wrote:
What is the command that enables me to fly around, so I can check where my smokes go?


sv_cheats 1 (to turn on cheats)
noclip (to toggle fly mode)
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
October 17 2015 23:57 GMT
#760
On October 18 2015 05:57 Ktk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2015 21:07 Excludos wrote:
On October 17 2015 20:08 Ktk wrote:
I have an i7 990x and GTX 460, and I'm wondering about the minimum required graphics card for 300fps at 1080p assuming CPU isn't bottlenecking (... It's not... Right?)

- Preferrably high shadows? Or is that overhyped with regards to smoke effects?

I play on lowest everything @ 1080p and can't maintain 150fps lock currently - disappointing! Looking into smoke really kills my fps, to below 80. I think something might actually be wrong with my card, even. I know this generation of GPUs ran hot by wow, >95C if I don't fps_max, 85C if fps_max 150?

Would upgrading to the GTX970 bump me to 300 constant? Is that overkill?
Would a GTX960 or R9 270x suffice?


High shadows is the most important of the graphics settings, everything else can be set to low or to any preference.

Your graphics card is extremely outdated and is indeed what is holding you back, but you wont need a 500 dollar replacement for cs:go. A gtx 780 will be enough. Going for the 9-series isnt in itself stupid tho, as any fps gain is a bonus (I hear up to 200 is very noticeable, while doubling to 400 has nearly no effect), and you can use it for other games with higher requirements (like fallout 4 )


Thanks, actually just watched a 3kiks video on how it effects Molotovs too, lol (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5-aqgwBhM4)

Speaking of bugs...
Frustratingly, I've been getting frustrating graphics bugs in de_cache. I can't look behind T-spawn or towards behind quad at A without my monitor literally going black for a few seconds. I've just unchecked it for now.

I also can't play the game on multiplayer servers without changing my graphics settings (e.g. from fullscreen to windowed, then going back). If I don't do this, the game boots me in loading. :< So yeah, lots of bugs in csgo. Didn't have them when I started playing either!


I suggest a complete reinstall at that point. I've had the "screen turns to black" on certain custom maps due to bad texturing/modeling of the map, but never on an official one.
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 73 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 160
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2568
Dota 2
monkeys_forever678
NeuroSwarm202
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe182
Other Games
summit1g8117
Day[9].tv669
JimRising 569
C9.Mang0286
PiGStarcraft118
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick848
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream312
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• davetesta16
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv669
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
8h 20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
22h 20m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.