• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:13
CEST 16:13
KST 23:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7688 users

General Discussion - Page 45

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 176 Next
Please be advised:

We will be closing this General thread in 24 hours. It will remain searchable.

After that we will require new threads to discuss topics.

Questions should go in the stickied Q&A thread, screenshots and PotG will go in the PotG sticky, QQ/Rage/Complaints should go in the QQ/Rage thread. If you want to talk about maps or strategies open a new thread.

Any comments or concerns will be logged please forward them to ZeromuS. This new forum is still fluid so we will try this out. General TL rules will still apply to new threads.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 28 2015 13:01 GMT
#881
Yeah Blizzard is so terrible by handing out keys to streamers just like every other company on the planet. At least its only one guy in the thread whining about it, expecting the beta selection process to be “fair” or some shit.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
October 28 2015 13:15 GMT
#882
On October 28 2015 21:15 Hider wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 21:04 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:39 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:12 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 19:59 Hider wrote:
And going back to Overrwatch, I think the developers have desgined the heroes in mind with it being important to switch during games.


Wait what? You can change your hero after the game has begun?


Yes. It kinda adds some type of classic RTS-element to it. It definitely makes the experience alot more dynamic as each hero have weakness's and strenghts.


Nothing wrong with it, I was just expecting a classic MOBA in FPS form. Game looks sick though. Thank god there are some good games coming this fall/winter so I won't have to sit and wait for a beta invite


A problem with the "RTS-system" in an RTS game (e.g. Starcraft) is that you need to make a ton decisions on top of all the mechanical requirements at once, which significantly raises the learning barrier. In fact, I think a MOBA P/B-system actually makes more sense in an RTS for a variety of reasons.

In some ways, the "which units should i get in an RTS?" can be compared to "which item should I buy in a MOBA?". But the difference between OW and a MOBA is that changing a hero is much more direct impactful than buying an item in LOL.

Often, the optimal item to get is more decided by math than an analysis of the strategic context. As a consequence, most ppl just buy the say items over and over because they don't really care about that aspect of League of Legends.

Hence, as a general design rule, you should only add an extra elemnt/complexity to the game if it creates impactful and engaging decisions for the player. And from what I gathered, OW does that extremely well. It seems to be a strategic aspect that's relevant for the casual player as well as the competitive player.

The more I look at this game the more impressed I am with the design, and I am normally not a guy that easily get overhyped. In fact, I am typically the guy trying to tell "fanboys" that their game won't be succesful for XYZ reasons (which they obviously don't like to hear), but in this case I am on the board. Overwatch has everything going for it to be succesful. The only noticeable thing that I can see hindering its growth rate somewhat is if its not F2P.


hopefully, Blizzard adds a P/B phase to the game during open beta

it'll open up different play styles & strategies

game looks polished

how much depth the game has after the shine wears away is the question and I can't imagine Blizzard not seriously considering implementing some kind of ranking system
E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
October 28 2015 13:20 GMT
#883
On October 28 2015 22:15 udgnim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 21:15 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 21:04 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:39 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:12 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 19:59 Hider wrote:
And going back to Overrwatch, I think the developers have desgined the heroes in mind with it being important to switch during games.


Wait what? You can change your hero after the game has begun?


Yes. It kinda adds some type of classic RTS-element to it. It definitely makes the experience alot more dynamic as each hero have weakness's and strenghts.


Nothing wrong with it, I was just expecting a classic MOBA in FPS form. Game looks sick though. Thank god there are some good games coming this fall/winter so I won't have to sit and wait for a beta invite


A problem with the "RTS-system" in an RTS game (e.g. Starcraft) is that you need to make a ton decisions on top of all the mechanical requirements at once, which significantly raises the learning barrier. In fact, I think a MOBA P/B-system actually makes more sense in an RTS for a variety of reasons.

In some ways, the "which units should i get in an RTS?" can be compared to "which item should I buy in a MOBA?". But the difference between OW and a MOBA is that changing a hero is much more direct impactful than buying an item in LOL.

Often, the optimal item to get is more decided by math than an analysis of the strategic context. As a consequence, most ppl just buy the say items over and over because they don't really care about that aspect of League of Legends.

Hence, as a general design rule, you should only add an extra elemnt/complexity to the game if it creates impactful and engaging decisions for the player. And from what I gathered, OW does that extremely well. It seems to be a strategic aspect that's relevant for the casual player as well as the competitive player.

The more I look at this game the more impressed I am with the design, and I am normally not a guy that easily get overhyped. In fact, I am typically the guy trying to tell "fanboys" that their game won't be succesful for XYZ reasons (which they obviously don't like to hear), but in this case I am on the board. Overwatch has everything going for it to be succesful. The only noticeable thing that I can see hindering its growth rate somewhat is if its not F2P.


hopefully, Blizzard adds a P/B phase to the game during open beta

it'll open up different play styles & strategies

game looks polished

how much depth the game has after the shine wears away is the question and I can't imagine Blizzard not seriously considering implementing some kind of ranking system

The TF model of switching characters during the game prohibits a pick phase. I dont expect a ban phase to happen because of the flexible nature of characters.

Would the game be better if characters were locked for a match and a p/b was added? I donno maybe. It would add more strategy I guess.
But in the current state of the game I dont see them ever adding a p/b
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 14:04:37
October 28 2015 13:23 GMT
#884
it'll open up different play styles & strategies


99% it won't happen, because it's a really bad solution for a couple of reasons:

1. Delays when the fun parts of the game starts. Most people don't care that much about P/B-phase. Take LOL as an example, everyone just wants to play theirr favourite champion and get into the action asap. When random strangers play, P/B is awfull from a strategic perspective.
2. It removes a ton of the strategic counteroptions during the game. And the elemnt of picking the right hero from the start is still there.
3. Makes the playing experience worse because you take an option away from people who would like to try different heroes during a game.- even if there is no strategic reason behind it.
4. If teams can bascially win in P/B-phase, the actual playing experience will be awfull during the game. It will also make it much less exciting for viewers. What will be more exciting is that a team that currently has a strategic disdavantage can change their strategy on the fly so they get an advantage.

The only disadvantage of not having P/B is that we may risk having some heroes dominate the a specific map if they are quite imbalanced. But with active balancing and well-throughout design - both in terms of heroes and maps - that issue won't be as significant.

The important thing is that Blizzard goes for quality over quantity when adding new heroes. Do not add heroes that heavily overlap with other units because that will make balancing much harder. Instead they should add heroes that can be used to counter other heoes so we get an infinitive stream of counteroptions.

Final thoughts

What Blizzard have done is to actually take the best parts of other games and mix them into Overwatch in a way that makes sense. I see a ton of other gamedevelopers mix in parts from sucesful games and fail in the proces.

For instance, in LOTV when David Kim thinks its a good idea to give all units unimpactful abilities that doesn't promote movement-based micro.
Or in Project Atlas (new RTS game underway) when the developers make it a game where you are very reliant on your teammates because most other succesful games are teambased. Instead the reason those games (Dota, LOL, CS:GO) are sucesful is because they are easier to learn than a game like Starcraft and have better interactions.

And then you look at Heroes of the Storm where the developers got convinced that the key to being super succesful was to reduce the learning barrier and the skillcap/outplay potential at the same time. Whereas having a proper skillcap is essential to keep players motivated to play the game.

Overwatch will most likely be the next big game because the developers seem to get everything right and mixed stuff together that makes sense. P/B would never make sense for this game!
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 28 2015 13:24 GMT
#885
On October 28 2015 22:20 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 22:15 udgnim wrote:
On October 28 2015 21:15 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 21:04 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:39 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:12 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 19:59 Hider wrote:
And going back to Overrwatch, I think the developers have desgined the heroes in mind with it being important to switch during games.


Wait what? You can change your hero after the game has begun?


Yes. It kinda adds some type of classic RTS-element to it. It definitely makes the experience alot more dynamic as each hero have weakness's and strenghts.


Nothing wrong with it, I was just expecting a classic MOBA in FPS form. Game looks sick though. Thank god there are some good games coming this fall/winter so I won't have to sit and wait for a beta invite


A problem with the "RTS-system" in an RTS game (e.g. Starcraft) is that you need to make a ton decisions on top of all the mechanical requirements at once, which significantly raises the learning barrier. In fact, I think a MOBA P/B-system actually makes more sense in an RTS for a variety of reasons.

In some ways, the "which units should i get in an RTS?" can be compared to "which item should I buy in a MOBA?". But the difference between OW and a MOBA is that changing a hero is much more direct impactful than buying an item in LOL.

Often, the optimal item to get is more decided by math than an analysis of the strategic context. As a consequence, most ppl just buy the say items over and over because they don't really care about that aspect of League of Legends.

Hence, as a general design rule, you should only add an extra elemnt/complexity to the game if it creates impactful and engaging decisions for the player. And from what I gathered, OW does that extremely well. It seems to be a strategic aspect that's relevant for the casual player as well as the competitive player.

The more I look at this game the more impressed I am with the design, and I am normally not a guy that easily get overhyped. In fact, I am typically the guy trying to tell "fanboys" that their game won't be succesful for XYZ reasons (which they obviously don't like to hear), but in this case I am on the board. Overwatch has everything going for it to be succesful. The only noticeable thing that I can see hindering its growth rate somewhat is if its not F2P.


hopefully, Blizzard adds a P/B phase to the game during open beta

it'll open up different play styles & strategies

game looks polished

how much depth the game has after the shine wears away is the question and I can't imagine Blizzard not seriously considering implementing some kind of ranking system

The TF model of switching characters during the game prohibits a pick phase. I dont expect a ban phase to happen because of the flexible nature of characters.

Would the game be better if characters were locked for a match and a p/b was added? I donno maybe. It would add more strategy I guess.
But in the current state of the game I dont see them ever adding a p/b

A cool down between switch characters seems like the solution. Or added time on the respawn timer.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ragz_gt
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
9172 Posts
October 28 2015 13:25 GMT
#886
On October 28 2015 21:12 sacrilegious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 21:00 Gorsameth wrote:
It is a beta test that is not open to all. It is not just streamers but also random people. Yes it is a closed beta test and is also being used to generate hype.

Yes you are being a salty bitch for not getting an invite. Go cry somewhere else.
.

Cool, I knew I could count on you being one of those people coming to Blizzard's defense, because they're Blizzard

Please also read my OP again, I never asked, begged, or requested my account be flagged for this game. I'm purely stating facts on the way these processes have been handled based on Hearthstone and HotS... period. But hey if you want to name call to make you feel better, congrats. I'm going to go cry in the corner now like you told me.

Whether you are right or wrong about your first statement, is not the point of what I was getting to, but please call me more names


Or you can look around and realize 0 person besides you gives a fuck. What a doofus.
I'm not an otaku, I'm a specialist.
TheTenthDoc
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States9561 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 13:36:54
October 28 2015 13:36 GMT
#887
The other advantage to pick/ban is that when characters are (inevitably) monetized, switching characters mid-game offers a considerable advantage to individuals who have bought more characters. I don't think even the people that somehow believes having more characters in MOBA isn't an advantage would disagree with that.

I doubt Blizzard will change anything, though, because people will accept this advantage as something they just have to put up with.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 13:43:58
October 28 2015 13:43 GMT
#888
On October 28 2015 22:24 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 22:20 Gorsameth wrote:
On October 28 2015 22:15 udgnim wrote:
On October 28 2015 21:15 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 21:04 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:39 Hider wrote:
On October 28 2015 20:12 kuresuti wrote:
On October 28 2015 19:59 Hider wrote:
And going back to Overrwatch, I think the developers have desgined the heroes in mind with it being important to switch during games.


Wait what? You can change your hero after the game has begun?


Yes. It kinda adds some type of classic RTS-element to it. It definitely makes the experience alot more dynamic as each hero have weakness's and strenghts.


Nothing wrong with it, I was just expecting a classic MOBA in FPS form. Game looks sick though. Thank god there are some good games coming this fall/winter so I won't have to sit and wait for a beta invite


A problem with the "RTS-system" in an RTS game (e.g. Starcraft) is that you need to make a ton decisions on top of all the mechanical requirements at once, which significantly raises the learning barrier. In fact, I think a MOBA P/B-system actually makes more sense in an RTS for a variety of reasons.

In some ways, the "which units should i get in an RTS?" can be compared to "which item should I buy in a MOBA?". But the difference between OW and a MOBA is that changing a hero is much more direct impactful than buying an item in LOL.

Often, the optimal item to get is more decided by math than an analysis of the strategic context. As a consequence, most ppl just buy the say items over and over because they don't really care about that aspect of League of Legends.

Hence, as a general design rule, you should only add an extra elemnt/complexity to the game if it creates impactful and engaging decisions for the player. And from what I gathered, OW does that extremely well. It seems to be a strategic aspect that's relevant for the casual player as well as the competitive player.

The more I look at this game the more impressed I am with the design, and I am normally not a guy that easily get overhyped. In fact, I am typically the guy trying to tell "fanboys" that their game won't be succesful for XYZ reasons (which they obviously don't like to hear), but in this case I am on the board. Overwatch has everything going for it to be succesful. The only noticeable thing that I can see hindering its growth rate somewhat is if its not F2P.


hopefully, Blizzard adds a P/B phase to the game during open beta

it'll open up different play styles & strategies

game looks polished

how much depth the game has after the shine wears away is the question and I can't imagine Blizzard not seriously considering implementing some kind of ranking system

The TF model of switching characters during the game prohibits a pick phase. I dont expect a ban phase to happen because of the flexible nature of characters.

Would the game be better if characters were locked for a match and a p/b was added? I donno maybe. It would add more strategy I guess.
But in the current state of the game I dont see them ever adding a p/b

A cool down between switch characters seems like the solution. Or added time on the respawn timer.


I don't think that's neccasary because instant switch makes it easier for a team to make a comeback. And I think a back-and-fourth close game is generally much more exciting than a game that's onesided.

As long as there still is a significant reward for outplaying the opponent (which definitely seems to be the case), a comeback mechanic almost always makes the overall experience better.
iXphobos
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany1465 Posts
October 28 2015 13:46 GMT
#889
On October 28 2015 22:36 TheTenthDoc wrote:
The other advantage to pick/ban is that when characters are (inevitably) monetized, switching characters mid-game offers a considerable advantage to individuals who have bought more characters. I don't think even the people that somehow believes having more characters in MOBA isn't an advantage would disagree with that.

I doubt Blizzard will change anything, though, because people will accept this advantage as something they just have to put up with.

Blizz said on the last beta streamer event that whatever the payment model will be, all heroes will be available for free for all players from the start.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 13:51:14
October 28 2015 13:46 GMT
#890
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12175 Posts
October 28 2015 13:54 GMT
#891
On October 28 2015 22:46 iXphobos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 22:36 TheTenthDoc wrote:
The other advantage to pick/ban is that when characters are (inevitably) monetized, switching characters mid-game offers a considerable advantage to individuals who have bought more characters. I don't think even the people that somehow believes having more characters in MOBA isn't an advantage would disagree with that.

I doubt Blizzard will change anything, though, because people will accept this advantage as something they just have to put up with.

Blizz said on the last beta streamer event that whatever the payment model will be, all heroes will be available for free for all players from the start.


Oh then it might be interesting. Stopped with LoL and smite due to the unlock systems and stuck to DotA instead. Unlocks and similar things that cause an uneven play-field are the bane of any multi player game. In single player you don't really notice it unless they shove it in your face, you just have more challenge.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 28 2015 13:55 GMT
#892
On October 28 2015 22:46 iXphobos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 22:36 TheTenthDoc wrote:
The other advantage to pick/ban is that when characters are (inevitably) monetized, switching characters mid-game offers a considerable advantage to individuals who have bought more characters. I don't think even the people that somehow believes having more characters in MOBA isn't an advantage would disagree with that.

I doubt Blizzard will change anything, though, because people will accept this advantage as something they just have to put up with.

Blizz said on the last beta streamer event that whatever the payment model will be, all heroes will be available for free for all players from the start.

Interesting. Maybe they will add more later on, but a robust core of heroes for everyone sounds pretty great.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 14:15:56
October 28 2015 14:04 GMT
#893
I think the game needs some more game modes more urgently than more heroes.
On the topic of pick/ban: they should have some competitive mode with pick/ban, or maybe they could think about limiting the in game subs per team to a certain amount (say three or so), which would allow on the fly adjustments similar to football subs or so. Of course also only for competitive, I doubt that this could work with a random pick up group.

On October 28 2015 22:23 Hider wrote:
And then you look at Heroes of the Storm where the developers got convinced that the key to being super succesful was to reduce the learning barrier and the skillcap/outplay potential at the same time. Whereas having a proper skillcap is essential to keep players motivated to play the game.

Yeah, they reduced the entry barrier, true, but you are very wrong on the skillcap/outplay potential, just so you know. If you don't believe me, I'd suggest watching the Blizzcon tourney starting tonight, and watch Team Dk, the Korean qualificant, stomp their opposition. There is huuuuuge space to improve for even the top teams.

Not saying Heroes is successful thus far - it is not, and that has a lot to do with the Moba market being saturated by two big games already. Also, the Heroes alpha was accessible early on, which lead to a lot of people getting stuck with preconceived notions in their head about the game, which either got changed since the last time they tried or watched the game, or they just got into a match in scrub league, didn't understand what was going on, and blamed it on the game for not allowing their perceived leet skillz ("youtube personality xyz has said hots is easy, hurrdurrr, so I must rock at it. shit I got killed, game suxxorz, hots has no skill cap, lol") to carry them to victory. /rant
Get off my lawn, young punks
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 28 2015 14:07 GMT
#894
What they removed was individual outplay potential in Heroes. There's almost nothing you can do in certain 1v1 matchups, and team support is absolutely essential. Whereas yesterday in LoL I saw a fed Riven flash stun and combo 4 people to death before they could do anything, then complete the Pentakill.

Overwatch looks like there's a LOT more individual outplay potential. Everyone can kill everyone else in the right circumstance and with the right skill.
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
October 28 2015 14:21 GMT
#895
On October 28 2015 23:07 deth2munkies wrote:
What they removed was individual outplay potential in Heroes. There's almost nothing you can do in certain 1v1 matchups, and team support is absolutely essential. Whereas yesterday in LoL I saw a fed Riven flash stun and combo 4 people to death before they could do anything, then complete the Pentakill.

Overwatch looks like there's a LOT more individual outplay potential. Everyone can kill everyone else in the right circumstance and with the right skill.

Isn't that pretty much standard in FPS games anyway? One good person can outplay multiple people in most shooters just through movement and better skill.
It's your boy Guzma!
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 15:12:26
October 28 2015 14:21 GMT
#896
Yeah, they reduced the entry barrier, true, but you are very wrong on the skillcap/outplay potential, just so you know. If you don't believe me,


They reduced the skillcap for individuals. There is only skillcap in terms of teamcoordination, which is not relevant for most people.

The ability to be an individual and outplay your opponent is extremely important in any game regardless of genre. If you almost always traded 1 to 1 in a FPS it would also be pretty boring for players as there would be little motivation to further improve your skillset.

Not saying Heroes is successful thus far - it is not, and that has a lot to do with the Moba market being saturated by two big games already.


Well, the game actually does a lot of things well, which has led to a reasonable/acceptable playerbase. But from my experience, alot of people look at it in a "yeh that's a pretty fun game, but I rather play this game with my friends on teamspeek. For soloq I play CS:GO or LOL".

I think Overwatch is a game that will satisfy a ton of different segments. It's easy to learn. It has strategy. It has execution. It has action and it seems to have comeback-potential as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if the MOBA-genre in the west declines significantly over the coming years - partly as a consequence of Overwatch. CS:GO has enough motivation and is a different enough experience from OW that it will continue to do well though.

or they just got into a match in scrub league, didn't understand what was going on, and blamed it on the game for not allowing their perceived leet skill


Well, ask yourself why this doesn't happen for OW (?). Everyone who have tried the game have spoke well about it.

My answer: Because the skillcap is immediately obvious and not just reliant on teamcoordination.

I think your judgement of Heroes of the Storm is actually a bit off. From my experience, most people who have briefly tried or watched a few clips have been like "meh..:" why do I care about lower learning barrier; I can continue playing DOTA/LOL." That really hasn't changed from alpha to release.

That theory is supported by Google Trends data, which shows a huge increase in interest around release date, and then it declined to the level before the game was released. That's indignitive of a lot of players having giving it a shot, and then stopped caring about it briefly after. On the other hand, DOTA and LOL search activity have continued to increase/stabilize over the last couple of years.

In order to get players excited about the game, the big outplay potential needs to be there. When people watch Overwatch clips and streams, they start imagining all of the cool stuff you cand do if you are skilled enough. That's what motivates players, and the aspect simply lacks in HOTS.
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 15:16:58
October 28 2015 15:13 GMT
#897
Look, I don't have the duty to defend Heroes or change the public's misconceptions about it (for example, I'd call your claim that "They reduced the skillcap for individuals" a preconceived notion). So w/e, I'll go on my merry way of having a blast playing Heroes, outplaying my opponents individually in solo q and enjoying watching it, so call me biased all you want

From my experience, most people who have briefly tried or watched a few clips have been like "meh..:" why do I care about lower learning barrier; I can continue playing DOTA/LOL." That really hasn't changed from alpha to release.

I very much agree with that. People do not invest any time in it and go with the majority opinion that was formed back in early tech alpha. They do not feel the urge to bother with the game, because there are already popular options.

I wish Overwatch that it will not suffer the same fate as Heroes, and everything indicates that the conditions are better: there is no popular TF-like shooter at the moment (in fact, there is only one successful FPS at all right now), and initial reviews are good. They are releasing beta only after it was already in a healthy state, it seems. We'll see how it fares once more people get their hands on it and how the competitive format will develop. I for sure will give it a fair shot and will see if I find it to be a good game, personally.
Get off my lawn, young punks
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22646 Posts
October 28 2015 15:47 GMT
#898
Watching Sacriel play Tracer, man between the dashes and the rewind the potential to outplay is so big.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 15:50:59
October 28 2015 15:47 GMT
#899
On October 29 2015 00:13 ACrow wrote:
I wish Overwatch that it will not suffer the same fate as Heroes

I haven't followed Heroes, has the "fate" of the game already been determined or is that just you? What do you mean?

Nonetheless I watched like 30 minutes of if and I think it looks interesting. I watched Summit play the Reaper and I'm pretty sure I'll fucking hate the game because of that type of bullshit though. Will have to see. It looks like a game with immense potential but I imagine it'll be frustrating as hell. I'm probably too old for things that are different, I'm probably stuck playing Counter Strike forever.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-28 16:14:25
October 28 2015 16:13 GMT
#900
On October 28 2015 22:54 Yurie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2015 22:46 iXphobos wrote:
On October 28 2015 22:36 TheTenthDoc wrote:
The other advantage to pick/ban is that when characters are (inevitably) monetized, switching characters mid-game offers a considerable advantage to individuals who have bought more characters. I don't think even the people that somehow believes having more characters in MOBA isn't an advantage would disagree with that.

I doubt Blizzard will change anything, though, because people will accept this advantage as something they just have to put up with.

Blizz said on the last beta streamer event that whatever the payment model will be, all heroes will be available for free for all players from the start.


Oh then it might be interesting. Stopped with LoL and smite due to the unlock systems and stuck to DotA instead. Unlocks and similar things that cause an uneven play-field are the bane of any multi player game. In single player you don't really notice it unless they shove it in your face, you just have more challenge.


I've noticed that Blizzard games tend to use different business models, they really use every opportunity to experiment (for a while it was WoW - subscription, D3 - RMAH / microtransactions, SC2 - eSports, HoTS - unlocks/dlc)

Currently D3 seems to have reverted to traditional, selling game copies outside Asia, so now we have Overwatch looking to try how cosmetic microtransactions solely work out (WoW does have cosmetics too). Seems Blizzard really wants to nail down a microtransaction model (remember how SC2 was going to monetize the arcade?)

Also, received a Blizzard email! It's for Blizzcon =(. Then again best to check the launcher, I recall playing Heroes for like a week before I got the email invite.
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 176 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1105
RotterdaM623
SteadfastSC290
TKL 223
Rex134
CosmosSc2 37
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 623
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 223
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 37
Codebar 33
ProTech25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42686
Calm 2840
Shuttle 2376
Jaedong 1594
Horang2 932
actioN 641
Mini 586
Soma 512
EffOrt 446
Soulkey 442
[ Show more ]
Stork 331
Rush 304
Larva 243
ZerO 223
BeSt 223
Snow 188
Mong 138
firebathero 132
Zeus 94
Mind 82
hero 70
910 69
Free 62
sorry 59
Hyun 47
Sharp 45
Shine 37
Shinee 36
PianO 35
Pusan 31
JYJ 29
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 19
HiyA 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Killer 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5115
Dendi1248
Counter-Strike
fl0m2161
Fnx 596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King175
ChuDatz4
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes621
Lowko366
Other Games
singsing2199
hiko678
B2W.Neo352
DeMusliM227
Livibee182
Pyrionflax178
Khaldor155
Liquid`VortiX137
Trikslyr67
QueenE64
dupreeh43
ZerO(Twitch)14
Liquid`RaSZi8
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1403
Other Games
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH215
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2160
• Jankos1715
• TFBlade650
• Noizen101
Other Games
• Shiphtur598
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 47m
The PondCast
19h 47m
INu's Battles
20h 47m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.