• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:57
CEST 10:57
KST 17:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6383 users

General Discussion - Page 33

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 176 Next
Please be advised:

We will be closing this General thread in 24 hours. It will remain searchable.

After that we will require new threads to discuss topics.

Questions should go in the stickied Q&A thread, screenshots and PotG will go in the PotG sticky, QQ/Rage/Complaints should go in the QQ/Rage thread. If you want to talk about maps or strategies open a new thread.

Any comments or concerns will be logged please forward them to ZeromuS. This new forum is still fluid so we will try this out. General TL rules will still apply to new threads.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
September 30 2015 22:24 GMT
#641
I hope we get beta before Blizzcon. It'll make me feel not terrible for not going to Blizzcon.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
September 30 2015 22:30 GMT
#642
Oh I actually think its a TLV style game. There are different roles, with different skills and strengths and there is an objective you go for. Thats TLV in a nutshell. Only new thing is that the enemies can be played by real people too.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
October 01 2015 05:49 GMT
#643
On October 01 2015 07:30 FeyFey wrote:
Oh I actually think its a TLV style game. There are different roles, with different skills and strengths and there is an objective you go for. Thats TLV in a nutshell. Only new thing is that the enemies can be played by real people too.

Uhhh. You can't possibly mean The lost Vikings, are you?
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
October 01 2015 07:35 GMT
#644
On September 29 2015 14:11 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2015 03:52 Reaps wrote:
I actually disagree with the whole demoman / soldier having highest skill cap, i just don't think that classes with projectile weapons can be harder to play than classes with hitscan weapons (scout). With projectile weapons there is always an element of luck involved, you need to predict which way your enemy is going to run / jump yes but if they do move the opposite direction you will miss, you simply cant land 100% of shots no matter how good your aim is unlike hitscan weapons. Also one of the reasons i sometimes disliked TF2 was the spam... random rockets, random pipe grenades, simply ruined the fun a lot of the time and slowed down the pace of the game.

That brings me to probably the only thing i am worried about in Overwatch, when i see classes like pharah who is obviously very much like the soldier, and able to spam rockets in random directions and create this "spam", imagine you're running along and out of a corner and a rocket hits you in the face and takes half /most of your hp, theres no "skill" to that, he simply got lucky and you got unlucky, it happens all the time and i just hope its not as bad in overwatch, i mean i understand that you kind of need classes like that to "please" everyone but i guess im just biased as i was a big RTCW:ET player.

Tldr: Less projectile weapons and more hitscan weapons please Overwatch.


You are misinformed. If you play enough quake you know "spamming" itself is a whole body of knowledge. In quake I think rockets aren't as strong though so it's more balanced out. Ammo is limited. Time is limited. If you spam an area you're not spamming another area. And if you miss you've just wasted a rocket (the rocket gun only comes with 10 rockets).

I admit I have never played TF2 and I could be wrong on certain things. In quake the opponent could be anywhere, and if you spam like an idiot you're wasting ammo, revealing your position, and you risk not being able to shoot if you need an important shot due to cooldown. When I play I need to keep track of my opponent's location. At the same time it's our job to dodge and avoid the spammed rockets/plasma gun

I do realise that there is also another difference in quake where everyone can use all the weapons.

Also, in quake, prediction shots are also used with non hitscan weapons.

They only appear random to the uninitiated. I play quake at a low level and I applaud and cheer when my brother hits me with a well timed and aimed prediction rocket. Of course I cheer like crazy too when I manage to predict his movements correctly. Spamming is also used to prevent or discourage a person from moving into an area, or at least to slow him down, while you go on doing something else.

Check this out this video commentary by the top quake pro. Everything I've mentioned will be apparent in this clip. Projectile shots increase the depth of the game by so much, at least for quake. They manage to land quite a number of prediction shots too because well they are great at reading each other.




IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".
karazax
Profile Joined May 2010
United States3737 Posts
October 08 2015 12:20 GMT
#645
Hands on Overwatch impressions from Prague
Dekker
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany169 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-08 12:41:08
October 08 2015 12:38 GMT
#646
On October 01 2015 16:35 papaz wrote:
IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".


The sad truth is that the skill based shooters are a dead franchise sadly... All the kids go for the newest installment of Duty Calls... um I mean Call of Duty... This also shows in viewer numbers for these kind of events, sadly. "Realistic" shooters is where it's at, at least at the moment..

Since there is no real demographic for these good old skill shooters at the moment, no publisher is even trying to get a decent one out. Or we get shitty games like the Quake 4 MP or Shootmania (which is imho the worst shooter I have ever seen...). Not even the last Unreal Tournament was any good...
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 08 2015 12:55 GMT
#647
We have reached the "back in my day" of video games and weirdly we are just like everyone else.

Looking forward to Overwatch at lot Its been almost 10 years since TF2 and I could use another one of those with some new twists. I love the designs of the heroes.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
KillerSOS
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States4207 Posts
October 08 2015 13:05 GMT
#648
On October 08 2015 21:38 Dekker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2015 16:35 papaz wrote:
IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".


The sad truth is that the skill based shooters are a dead franchise sadly... All the kids go for the newest installment of Duty Calls... um I mean Call of Duty... This also shows in viewer numbers for these kind of events, sadly. "Realistic" shooters is where it's at, at least at the moment..

Since there is no real demographic for these good old skill shooters at the moment, no publisher is even trying to get a decent one out. Or we get shitty games like the Quake 4 MP or Shootmania (which is imho the worst shooter I have ever seen...). Not even the last Unreal Tournament was any good...


CS:GO has one of the highest viewerships of any game at the moment. Do you really not consider it a "skilled based shooter??"

I suppose it would be accurate to say that "arena based" shooters are at an all time low, but that's an incredibly small subset of the FPS genre.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
October 08 2015 13:27 GMT
#649
On October 01 2015 14:49 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2015 07:30 FeyFey wrote:
Oh I actually think its a TLV style game. There are different roles, with different skills and strengths and there is an objective you go for. Thats TLV in a nutshell. Only new thing is that the enemies can be played by real people too.

Uhhh. You can't possibly mean The lost Vikings, are you?


Of course I do. Just joining in on the silly discussion of which game was the first one of its kind. I mean if everyone states nonsense, might as well go a bit overboard.
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-10-08 13:47:46
October 08 2015 13:42 GMT
#650
On October 08 2015 22:05 KillerSOS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2015 21:38 Dekker wrote:
On October 01 2015 16:35 papaz wrote:
IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".


The sad truth is that the skill based shooters are a dead franchise sadly... All the kids go for the newest installment of Duty Calls... um I mean Call of Duty... This also shows in viewer numbers for these kind of events, sadly. "Realistic" shooters is where it's at, at least at the moment..

Since there is no real demographic for these good old skill shooters at the moment, no publisher is even trying to get a decent one out. Or we get shitty games like the Quake 4 MP or Shootmania (which is imho the worst shooter I have ever seen...). Not even the last Unreal Tournament was any good...


CS:GO has one of the highest viewerships of any game at the moment. Do you really not consider it a "skilled based shooter??"

I suppose it would be accurate to say that "arena based" shooters are at an all time low, but that's an incredibly small subset of the FPS genre.



CS did never really compare to Quake. The skillset used is WAY diffrent.

Just look at the moussettings a CS Player uses compared to a quake player. They require entirely diffrent skillsets, its like comparing Starcraft to Warcraft 3. There are a ton of similarities but they play not even remotely the same.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 08 2015 13:47 GMT
#651
On October 08 2015 22:42 Velr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2015 22:05 KillerSOS wrote:
On October 08 2015 21:38 Dekker wrote:
On October 01 2015 16:35 papaz wrote:
IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".


The sad truth is that the skill based shooters are a dead franchise sadly... All the kids go for the newest installment of Duty Calls... um I mean Call of Duty... This also shows in viewer numbers for these kind of events, sadly. "Realistic" shooters is where it's at, at least at the moment..

Since there is no real demographic for these good old skill shooters at the moment, no publisher is even trying to get a decent one out. Or we get shitty games like the Quake 4 MP or Shootmania (which is imho the worst shooter I have ever seen...). Not even the last Unreal Tournament was any good...


CS:GO has one of the highest viewerships of any game at the moment. Do you really not consider it a "skilled based shooter??"

I suppose it would be accurate to say that "arena based" shooters are at an all time low, but that's an incredibly small subset of the FPS genre.



CS did never really compare to Quake. The skillset used is WAY diffrent.

Just look at the moussettings a CS Player uses compared to a quake Player. They require entirely diffrent skillsets, its like comparing Starcraft to Warcraft 3. There are a ton of similarities but they play not even remotely the same.

Its mostly hyperbolic "there are no skill based shooters today," like the current games to not require skill or the players that are good at them don't need to practice. Total old man mode of "Games in my day required skill and we needed to clean our mouse balls between each match to keep our edge. Also walked up hill both way to get buy the game on floppy disks. "
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Dekker
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany169 Posts
October 08 2015 14:09 GMT
#652
I have a feeling a hit some cs players feelings and made them cry without even intending to do so... Yes, CS takes skill, I never denied that. And dont try to read it that way to get offended. CS still is part of the "Realistic" type of shooters. But I guess arena type shooters would have been the better word. Though I am not sure if the multiplayer of games like Quake 1 and 2, Half Life etc. can actually be described as such. But for further discussion they will.

I am not sure what bullshit plansix is trying to put together here actually... I never said I wont play Overwatch or that it wont be a great game... What I said is that the market for FPS games changed.

Anyway, back to topic on overwatch...
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 08 2015 14:18 GMT
#653
On October 08 2015 23:09 Dekker wrote:
I have a feeling a hit some cs players feelings and made them cry without even intending to do so... Yes, CS takes skill, I never denied that. And dont try to read it that way to get offended. CS still is part of the "Realistic" type of shooters. But I guess arena type shooters would have been the better word. Though I am not sure if the multiplayer of games like Quake 1 and 2, Half Life etc. can actually be described as such. But for further discussion they will.

I am not sure what bullshit plansix is trying to put together here actually... I never said I wont play Overwatch or that it wont be a great game... What I said is that the market for FPS games changed.

Anyway, back to topic on overwatch...

On October 08 2015 21:38 Dekker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2015 16:35 papaz wrote:
IMBA commentating!!!

I can't believe Quake isn't a top e-sport anymore. Damn that game takes so much skill on the highest level. Pure joy watching and listening to the pros.The depth to a game where you have a couple of weapons, some armor and hp is mind boggling. Listening to the commentating was just "wtf that depth of knowledge".


The sad truth is that the skill based shooters are a dead franchise sadly... All the kids go for the newest installment of Duty Calls... um I mean Call of Duty... This also shows in viewer numbers for these kind of events, sadly. "Realistic" shooters is where it's at, at least at the moment..

Since there is no real demographic for these good old skill shooters at the moment, no publisher is even trying to get a decent one out. Or we get shitty games like the Quake 4 MP or Shootmania (which is imho the worst shooter I have ever seen...). Not even the last Unreal Tournament was any good...

The language you used sucked. Saying skill based shooters are dead denotes that all the remaining shoots being developed are "not skill based shooters". Yes, Arena shooter would be better, since it doesn't make it sound like all of the currently popular shooters are "made for babies".
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
RagequitBM
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada2270 Posts
October 08 2015 14:31 GMT
#654
On October 08 2015 23:09 Dekker wrote:
I have a feeling a hit some cs players feelings and made them cry without even intending to do so... Yes, CS takes skill, I never denied that. And dont try to read it that way to get offended. CS still is part of the "Realistic" type of shooters. But I guess arena type shooters would have been the better word. Though I am not sure if the multiplayer of games like Quake 1 and 2, Half Life etc. can actually be described as such. But for further discussion they will.

I am not sure what bullshit plansix is trying to put together here actually... I never said I wont play Overwatch or that it wont be a great game... What I said is that the market for FPS games changed.

Anyway, back to topic on overwatch...

You actually did deny that CS takes skill. Though I guess it was unintentional and just a poor choice of words
Twitch.tv/Ragequitbm for all the fans
karazax
Profile Joined May 2010
United States3737 Posts
October 13 2015 11:58 GMT
#655
The first Overwatch twitch stream will happen this Thursday at 10 AM PT which will give us the first extended, unedited look at live game play.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
October 13 2015 12:15 GMT
#656
cool thanks for sharing.
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
October 13 2015 12:44 GMT
#657
wow announcing a game and still not out after one year?! not even beta.

Is this a new way of announcements in gaming industry?
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
Scorch
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Austria3371 Posts
October 13 2015 12:52 GMT
#658
On October 13 2015 21:44 Dingodile wrote:
wow announcing a game and still not out after one year?! not even beta.

Is this a new way of announcements in gaming industry?

That's neither uncommon nor bad. Be glad they're giving the game the development time it needs instead of releasing an unfinished product.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
October 13 2015 13:10 GMT
#659
On October 13 2015 21:44 Dingodile wrote:
wow announcing a game and still not out after one year?! not even beta.

Is this a new way of announcements in gaming industry?

Its Blizzard. They announced work on WC3 in 1999 and it was released in 2003. Its how they roll.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
October 13 2015 16:21 GMT
#660
On October 13 2015 22:10 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 13 2015 21:44 Dingodile wrote:
wow announcing a game and still not out after one year?! not even beta.

Is this a new way of announcements in gaming industry?

Its Blizzard. They announced work on WC3 in 1999 and it was released in 2003. Its how they roll.


Starcraft was advertised on the back of the WC2 manual (1995) but didn't come out until 1999.

They like to give us the long view of things.
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 176 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 783
actioN 681
BeSt 289
Killer 195
Mong 162
Dewaltoss 118
sorry 59
sSak 41
ZergMaN 36
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Bale 29
NotJumperer 24
yabsab 14
Noble 10
Counter-Strike
byalli680
Other Games
summit1g9749
olofmeister984
Happy284
crisheroes190
Sick169
KnowMe100
Pyrionflax83
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick753
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos916
• Stunt453
Other Games
• WagamamaTV108
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 3m
Replay Cast
14h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.