• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:15
CEST 21:15
KST 04:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7859 users

Soul Calibur V - Page 6

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-04 01:01:30
February 04 2012 00:58 GMT
#101
Im extremely skeptical about this game. You can only cry wolf for so long i mean... series have been going downhill and people seemed to be on hype high.

I gotta give credit to sc for getting me into fighting scene. But ive since moved on and im not even sure if i can rate sc1/sc2 that high other than nostalgia. Then again i may be overly criticizing games of today because its just not the same anymore. Sf4 and mvc3 also has issues as well imo.

Imma keep on eye on this one. Im not sold yet. It is nice to see lot of old and new players from other titles gather up in this game tho.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
February 04 2012 08:56 GMT
#102
Most of the complaint I've seen has been that they've removed some old fighting styles from the game
namely Zasalamel (friend of mine said it's like a horror story, where they killed off the black guy first! But he was suppose to be immortal and they still killed him off!!!)

That and a lack of story...
...seriously, complaining about story in a fighting game.
people need to learn that there are RPGs around.
moo...for DRG
Flicky
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
England2675 Posts
February 04 2012 14:43 GMT
#103
On February 04 2012 17:56 neoghaleon55 wrote:
Most of the complaint I've seen has been that they've removed some old fighting styles from the game
namely Zasalamel (friend of mine said it's like a horror story, where they killed off the black guy first! But he was suppose to be immortal and they still killed him off!!!)

That and a lack of story...
...seriously, complaining about story in a fighting game.
people need to learn that there are RPGs around.


Soul Calibur has always been very popular for the single player though. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first iteration where a decent percentage of people were really interested in it for competitive multiplayer. Before then you had multiple branching storylines for every character with intro videos and ending videos and now you got whatever that Patroklos mode is which, let's be honest, forcing you to play one character in a fighting game (an annoying prick at that) is really dumb. Compared to what you used to have with Weapon Master, Chronicle of Souls, Story Modes and so on, I can fully understand the complaints.

Either way, I'm fiddling about with Tira after not being any good at her in 3. If I can't figure her out I'll go to Aeon. I got Nightmare to fall back on though. He's a badass. I'd quite like to try Omega Pyrrha if I can stomach playing through the story mode.
Liquipedia"I was seriously looking for a black guy" - MrHoon
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
February 04 2012 16:41 GMT
#104
The thing is competitive scene was better the further you take the series back. Still there were even more casuals as well So you might be right after all.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
justalex
Profile Joined May 2010
United States122 Posts
February 05 2012 16:32 GMT
#105
So, this is coming from a complete scrub, but while I feel the single player is lacking (quick battle just doesn't hold a candle to the old Weapon Master stuff), SCV has the best damn online play of any fighter. Lagouts don't show up on your record positively or negatively, and lag hasn't been much of an issue in general for me. The player lobby system is amazing with the ability to chat and watch matches as they happen. It also doesn't feel like there a lot of fighters with very similar styles (Astaroth v Rock, Kilik v Seung Mina, Sophitia v Cassandra). It feels like this could create a decent competitive community which can make up for lack of single player options. My only worry is that they simplified some characters, but the addition of Edge meter may make up for that
Dizmaul
Profile Joined March 2010
United States831 Posts
February 05 2012 16:38 GMT
#106
On February 04 2012 23:43 Flicky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2012 17:56 neoghaleon55 wrote:
Most of the complaint I've seen has been that they've removed some old fighting styles from the game
namely Zasalamel (friend of mine said it's like a horror story, where they killed off the black guy first! But he was suppose to be immortal and they still killed him off!!!)

That and a lack of story...
...seriously, complaining about story in a fighting game.
people need to learn that there are RPGs around.


Soul Calibur has always been very popular for the single player though. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first iteration where a decent percentage of people were really interested in it for competitive multiplayer. Before then you had multiple branching storylines for every character with intro videos and ending videos and now you got whatever that Patroklos mode is which, let's be honest, forcing you to play one character in a fighting game (an annoying prick at that) is really dumb. Compared to what you used to have with Weapon Master, Chronicle of Souls, Story Modes and so on, I can fully understand the complaints.

Either way, I'm fiddling about with Tira after not being any good at her in 3. If I can't figure her out I'll go to Aeon. I got Nightmare to fall back on though. He's a badass. I'd quite like to try Omega Pyrrha if I can stomach playing through the story mode.


So you can avoid the stomach pain, you can unlock her just by raising your player level.
It is what it is
MilesTeg
Profile Joined September 2010
France1271 Posts
February 06 2012 04:15 GMT
#107
On February 05 2012 01:41 NIJ wrote:
The thing is competitive scene was better the further you take the series back.


Was it? I had the impression that SC4 was the best in that regard. It's the first I played seriously though so I'mm not sure.
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
February 06 2012 09:05 GMT
#108
On February 06 2012 13:15 MilesTeg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 05 2012 01:41 NIJ wrote:
The thing is competitive scene was better the further you take the series back.


Was it? I had the impression that SC4 was the best in that regard. It's the first I played seriously though so I'mm not sure.

There was a very solid competitive scene built around Soul Calibur 2, I think it was pretty downhill from there.

This used to be an incredible series
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
February 06 2012 21:02 GMT
#109
On February 06 2012 18:05 Brett wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2012 13:15 MilesTeg wrote:
On February 05 2012 01:41 NIJ wrote:
The thing is competitive scene was better the further you take the series back.


Was it? I had the impression that SC4 was the best in that regard. It's the first I played seriously though so I'mm not sure.

There was a very solid competitive scene built around Soul Calibur 2, I think it was pretty downhill from there.

This used to be an incredible series


What a terrible post. No evidence to back up the slightest of what you're saying.

What makes you think it isn't still an incredible series.
Lately there has been a huge boom of players in anticipation of SCV
With it's arrival, we've gained a monumental number of newblood and returning fans at 8wayrun.com
SCV is also announced as a featured game at EVO 2012.
Things are looking up if anything.

moo...for DRG
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
February 07 2012 05:37 GMT
#110
How is any of that any indicator that things are looking up. New game in the series having a boom in the beginning is totally not out of the norm and if it didn't happen it would indicate just how bad that game is for it to fail right from the beginning. You can release a garbage sequel and there's still SOME hype initially regardless of quality. Evo featuring is obvious when they just want to follow on the hype. It still remains to be seen if this game will stick around for the long haul.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
February 07 2012 17:07 GMT
#111
On February 07 2012 14:37 NIJ wrote:
How is any of that any indicator that things are looking up. New game in the series having a boom in the beginning is totally not out of the norm and if it didn't happen it would indicate just how bad that game is for it to fail right from the beginning. You can release a garbage sequel and there's still SOME hype initially regardless of quality. Evo featuring is obvious when they just want to follow on the hype. It still remains to be seen if this game will stick around for the long haul.


Then what is your indicator for things looking up?
The game's just released, I am just going from that data that is available.
That is better than just blankly say that the series is dead or downhill without presenting any scrap of data.
moo...for DRG
NIJ
Profile Joined March 2010
1012 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-07 21:27:11
February 07 2012 21:26 GMT
#112
What 'data'. There is no data. That's my point. your statement is just as 'blank' as his is.

stop drinking the kool aid.
Act of thinking logically cannot possibly be natural to the human mind. If it were, then mathematics would be everybody's easiest course at school and our species would not have taken several millennia to figure out the scientific method -NDT
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 01:06:02
February 08 2012 01:02 GMT
#113
The data is the increased number of players available at 8wayrun.com
many of which are non-3D players, who came from SRK.
moo...for DRG
Flamingo777
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1190 Posts
February 08 2012 03:14 GMT
#114
On October 21 2011 02:19 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Why was SC4 considered the worst? I didn't really like it because of the poor online experience (significant lag in a game that's all about low/mid/high/sidestep mixups) but I'm curious to know what the reason is for most people. Hopefully it goes beyond the Star Wars hate which I think everyone pretty much agrees was terrible.


I was ranked like 40th or higher at SC4 online in "Special Mode" at one point, and maintained top100 for a long time. The game was very playable online, and I actually didn't mind the mechanics change all that much. Although I must concede that SC2 for the Gamecube was my favorite Soul Calibur game by far!
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
February 08 2012 18:31 GMT
#115
I expected a lot more praise and attention for this game on TL. I picked it up and I think it's great. The edge meter really brings a lot to the game, and the netcode has exceeded all expectations. Managed to grind out all the titles in Quick Battle and unlocked all the weapons and armor for Creation mode.

I'm a little disappointed that there were so many carryover creation items from SC4, many of which are niche items which disallow some of the more clever customization, but some of the other additions like stickers and accessory placement are absolutely excellent. I wish there were more generic hairstyles in the game, as it's currently too easy to take a quick glance at a created character's hair and say "that's Ivy hair, that's Hilde hair, that's Tira hair."

I think I'll make a stronger effort to play online in this game since as I mentioned before, SC4's netcode was relatively bad even at 5 bars, but I even played a 1-2 bar game with someone in Brazil in SC5 and I could still react to most attacks.

If anyone is looking to play online, feel free to add me on XBL. Gamertag is SummonSuffering.
Moderator
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
February 08 2012 19:02 GMT
#116
On February 06 2012 18:05 Brett wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2012 13:15 MilesTeg wrote:
On February 05 2012 01:41 NIJ wrote:
The thing is competitive scene was better the further you take the series back.


Was it? I had the impression that SC4 was the best in that regard. It's the first I played seriously though so I'mm not sure.

There was a very solid competitive scene built around Soul Calibur 2, I think it was pretty downhill from there.

This used to be an incredible series

it was probably because SC2 used to be an arcade game.

now that SF4 and MvC3 showed that you can build competitive scenes without centralizing at arcades, i'm sure SC will catch up too.

(SC3 had a lot of unfortunate glitches that were discussed very early in this thread. SC4 had Hilde.)
Al Bundy
Profile Joined April 2010
7257 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 19:21:06
February 08 2012 19:20 GMT
#117
I'm going to get this game on PS3 next week ! Can't wait WOOHOO !! I've always been a fan of the soulcalibur franchise, back when the first one was released on dreamcast, we used to organize KoTH matches during lunch break, man that was electrifying. I want this franchise to make it big on the competitive scene.

About the "lack of story" argument which was mentionned a few posts ealier, here's my opinion: this is a bit disappointing. What about the "Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords eternally retold" ?
o choro é livre
Avean
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Norway449 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 19:25:50
February 08 2012 19:24 GMT
#118
Honestly there isnt a competetive scene in fighting games and never have been outside of Asia. There are so many fighting games spread on two different consoles. For any esports game to succeed there needs to be a common platform and focus for years like Starcraft, Starcraft 2 and Counter-Strike.

If i should focus on fighting games right now and win alot of money ? What would i do ? Buy Soul Calibur IV ? What about Mortal Kombat 9 ? Or Tekken 6 ? Or wait... Tekken 6 is going to be replaced by Tekken Tag 2 or what about Street Fighter IV ? No its going to be replaced by Street Fighter x Tekken. Did i mention Tekken x Street Fighter is coming also ? Confused yet ? haha

There is a tournament going to happen in Oslo, Norway soon. In Soul Calibur IV, but only PS3 so they are forgetting a whole another scene of gamers on Xbox360. I really cant take esports on console seriously cause of this.
Koenig99
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada904 Posts
February 08 2012 20:29 GMT
#119
On February 09 2012 04:24 Avean wrote:
Honestly there isnt a competetive scene in fighting games and never have been outside of Asia. There are so many fighting games spread on two different consoles. For any esports game to succeed there needs to be a common platform and focus for years like Starcraft, Starcraft 2 and Counter-Strike.

If i should focus on fighting games right now and win alot of money ? What would i do ? Buy Soul Calibur IV ? What about Mortal Kombat 9 ? Or Tekken 6 ? Or wait... Tekken 6 is going to be replaced by Tekken Tag 2 or what about Street Fighter IV ? No its going to be replaced by Street Fighter x Tekken. Did i mention Tekken x Street Fighter is coming also ? Confused yet ? haha

There is a tournament going to happen in Oslo, Norway soon. In Soul Calibur IV, but only PS3 so they are forgetting a whole another scene of gamers on Xbox360. I really cant take esports on console seriously cause of this.


Wut. Those are two completely different games.

The fighting game scene has also been around longer than (arguably) any other scene. While they were fragmented for a long time (2000-2009) the release of SF4 unified the community into what it is now. SF4 revitalized the fighting game scene and gave developers an incentive to start making new games. That's why within the span of 3 years we saw HD Remix, MvC2 re-released, 2 updates for SF4, MvC3/UMvC3, new Tekken games, a new Soul Calibur, SFxT, TxSF, even Skull Girls.
To an outsider, this may seem like the fighting game community has no focus, but top level fighting game pros can play multiple games at the highest level. You just don’t see this in other communities; so while the games may be different (and numerous), the players are the same for the most part.
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
February 08 2012 21:03 GMT
#120
Feel free to add me, as well if you play on the 360
GT: neoghaleon
make sure you mention you're from teamliquid.
moo...for DRG
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM916
TKL 326
TaKeTV 309
IndyStarCraft 211
BRAT_OK 99
ZombieGrub47
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 916
TKL 326
IndyStarCraft 211
MaxPax 165
BRAT_OK 99
UpATreeSC 94
JuggernautJason48
ZombieGrub47
Nathanias 34
EmSc Tv 20
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 697
ggaemo 160
White-Ra 146
firebathero 92
Barracks 64
910 51
Killer 27
Bale 25
Trap 24
Shine 21
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 15
yabsab 8
Dota 2
qojqva5457
Counter-Strike
Fnx 762
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8416
crisheroes1752
Liquid`Hasu1612
Trikslyr62
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4047
summit1g2405
singsing1382
Beastyqt800
ceh9605
shahzam439
B2W.Neo366
C9.Mang0148
ArmadaUGS145
KnowMe124
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream419
Other Games
BasetradeTV211
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 20
EmSc2Tv 20
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 172
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 23
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• FirePhoenix14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2132
• TFBlade989
Other Games
• Shiphtur316
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 45m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.