• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:48
CEST 19:48
KST 02:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6566 users

Soul Calibur V

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-01 11:44:42
October 20 2011 04:52 GMT
#1
*Although this is a StarCraft site, for this thread I hope we can all assume that "SC" stands for "Soul Calibur" lol*

After playing a bunch of SSF4 AE, MvC3 and a bunch of other fighters for a while, I wanted to try out a 3D fighter for a change. Although I've never been a big fan of the Soul Calibur series, I'm pretty damn hyped for this game. SC4 was considered to be the worst of the SC series but so far the SC community has been positive about the improvements made in the next game.

I'll keep a list of confirmed characters right here:
+ Show Spoiler [List of confirmed characters] +
New characters:
Patroklos
Pyrrha
Natsu
Z.W.E.I.
Viola*
Leixia
Ezio Auditore
Xiba
Alpha Patroklos
Phyrra Omega

Returning characters:
Siegfried
Mitsurugi
Ivy
Maxi
Hilde
Voldo
Astaroth
Tira
Raphael
Nightmare
Yoshimitsu
Cervantes
Aeon**
Algol
Edgemaster
Kilik (mimic character)
Elysium (technically Sophitia; also a mimic)
Dampierre (Pre-order bonus character)

*I'll list Viola as a new character until Namco confirms or denies speculations that she is Amy
**Technically he is Lizardman



Here are a couple HD quality videos of the build available for the last playable demo (back in September):






(The pauses in this game are due to a bug with the demo)


A recent "leaked" picture of the character select screen shows that Ezio Auditore da Firenze of the Assassin's Creed series, is in the game. In addition, you can see character portraits of Nightmare and who I assume to be Leixia and Raphael.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/17/rumor-assassins-creeds-ezio-coming-to-soulcalibur-5/


I'll leave here a link to 8wayrun, the biggest community site for Soul Calibur (aka, the TeamLiquid of Soul Calibur ):
http://8wayrun.com/

Jaxel of 8wayrun gives his impressions of the current build of the game. Pretty good read and hypes me up even more ^^
http://8wayrun.com/threads/jaxels-impressions-on-soulcalibur-v.8605/

Anyways, I'd like to see what the TL community has to say about the game

PS. Do you constantly get confused with the Terran unit when people use "SCV" as an acronym for Soul Calibur V or is it just me? XD


Soul Calibur V is officially released now (in the US)!! Happy gaming ^^

Edit: Release date is now set for January 31, 2012

Update: Soul Calibur 5 has been announced as one of the games to be featured in EVO 2012!!! GET HYPED!!
Node
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States2159 Posts
October 20 2011 05:10 GMT
#2
I've never been too much of a fighting game person, but I've always loved Soul Calibur 2 (gamecube version the best :D). I still play it on breaks with a bunch of other people at work, and it has yet to get old. I've never really played any of the other sequels, but I may have to pick this one up.
whole lies with a half smile
o3.power91
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Bahrain5288 Posts
October 20 2011 16:51 GMT
#3
http://gematsu.com/gallery/soulcalibur-v/october-20-2011/

Raphael, Nightmare, and Leixia confirmed with screenshots ^^
Also the 2D renders of the characters match their portraits in the leaked character select screen that showed Ezio. Just adds to the rumor's credibility
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
October 20 2011 17:04 GMT
#4
If Cervantes isn't in I wont buy it xD
Been loving the series since the start, though I say SC2 was best tbh. I loved it sooooooooooooo much, 3 and 4 just dosn't have the same flow
England will fight to the last American
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
October 20 2011 17:19 GMT
#5
Why was SC4 considered the worst? I didn't really like it because of the poor online experience (significant lag in a game that's all about low/mid/high/sidestep mixups) but I'm curious to know what the reason is for most people. Hopefully it goes beyond the Star Wars hate which I think everyone pretty much agrees was terrible.

I actually liked SC3 the best because I tested the game and therefore got a lot of time to practice it, having no real prior Soulcalibur experience. I also got really good at buffering Ivy's command throws and being super aggressive with Astaroth. I was pretty good with Xianghua too and had enough combos and reactions with Cassandra and Sophitia to hold my own.

SC4 changed the Ivy command throw inputs and I couldn't do them at all, and her gameplay along with X's and Cass's changed a lot so I had to stick with Astaroth and Sophitia who were almost the same.
Moderator
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
October 20 2011 17:28 GMT
#6
I think SC still suffers way too much from character imbalance. Some characters just plainly suck donkey (vader, anyone? sure he's prolly a joke hero though) while others are clearly superior (say The Sisters)

I loved Algol in SC4 though he was badass, plus he looked abit like Magnus from W40k!!
England will fight to the last American
Krowser
Profile Joined August 2007
Canada788 Posts
October 20 2011 17:36 GMT
#7
Voldo for the freaking WIN!

SC2 is the best. I barely tried the others however as I only have a PS2.
D3 and Pho, the way to go. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=340709
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
October 20 2011 17:42 GMT
#8
Oh I forgot about the other new characters: Hilde and Algol. I played Algol also and was pretty good with him, even taking out some local tournament players. I got tons of hatemail for using him as well, which was awesome. I quit shortly before discovering that Hilde was broken, as the one and only tournament I went to was won by a Hilde player (Cedric), who at the time was thought to be low-tier.
Moderator
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19257 Posts
October 20 2011 18:02 GMT
#9
Of course Talim and Yoshimitsu aren't confirmed, or even rumored. Just my luck.

Support the Talim for Top Tier movement!
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
spritzz
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada331 Posts
October 20 2011 18:08 GMT
#10
Aw no Cassie or Sophie? and I agree I liked SCII the best
zugzug
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
October 20 2011 18:10 GMT
#11
This game is pretty ^_^ . SC3 was my favorite so far although i felt Zazamel was OD as hell but fun to play as. Hopefully Raphael is in this one also. I've been playing him since SC2 and I even won a few local tournaments with him.
Twitter: @KingKosi
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
October 20 2011 18:14 GMT
#12
On October 21 2011 03:10 Kingkosi wrote:
This game is pretty ^_^ . SC3 was my favorite so far although i felt Zazamel was OD as hell but fun to play as. Hopefully Raphael is in this one also. I've been playing him since SC2 and I even won a few local tournaments with him.


I dunno what OD means, I'm guessing you mean OP? Zas was one of the weakest characters in SC3 though...
Moderator
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
October 20 2011 18:19 GMT
#13
Art direction turned to ass with SC4, that's why I personally hate it. Each character looks like a zombie raccoon.
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
October 20 2011 18:28 GMT
#14
On October 21 2011 02:19 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Why was SC4 considered the worst? I didn't really like it because of the poor online experience (significant lag in a game that's all about low/mid/high/sidestep mixups) but I'm curious to know what the reason is for most people. Hopefully it goes beyond the Star Wars hate which I think everyone pretty much agrees was terrible.

I actually liked SC3 the best because I tested the game and therefore got a lot of time to practice it, having no real prior Soulcalibur experience. I also got really good at buffering Ivy's command throws and being super aggressive with Astaroth. I was pretty good with Xianghua too and had enough combos and reactions with Cassandra and Sophitia to hold my own.

SC4 changed the Ivy command throw inputs and I couldn't do them at all, and her gameplay along with X's and Cass's changed a lot so I had to stick with Astaroth and Sophitia who were almost the same.

I think SC2 is the worst because it has auto-mine and MBS.

Just kidding.

Although really I think SC3 was considered the worst because 22G led to a lot of brokenness. You get frame advantage after you were GIed by someone because of 22G, lol.

SC4 started strong but Hilde became insanely broken. I stopped playing just because the local gathering moved from down the street to a city 30 miles away.

SC5 looks pretty good though. With a (former?) top US Tekken player on the play testing team, I have a lot of faith in it. However Namco netcode is terrible, so I dunno how it'll pan out.

I find that a lot of people who complain about balance with Soul Calibur are actually just random button mashers who suck at the game but for some reason they're really loud on the internet.
Kingkosi
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1215 Posts
October 20 2011 18:33 GMT
#15
On October 21 2011 03:14 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 03:10 Kingkosi wrote:
This game is pretty ^_^ . SC3 was my favorite so far although i felt Zazamel was OD as hell but fun to play as. Hopefully Raphael is in this one also. I've been playing him since SC2 and I even won a few local tournaments with him.


I dunno what OD means, I'm guessing you mean OP? Zas was one of the weakest characters in SC3 though...

Over dose.. sorry my room mate is from New York and I've picked up some of his lingo. I thought we was godlike but don't take my word for it, I never really followed tiers or anything in this game unlike street fighter.
Twitter: @KingKosi
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
October 20 2011 18:35 GMT
#16
Who's the top US Tekken player you're talking about? Do you mean Ricky? Because he's on mobile QA now, not console QA anymore. In fact he's on my team for Ace Combat mobile right now.

Also I inadvertently put G22 in SC3 after I wrote up a suggestion for them to take out stepguard. They took it out, much to everyone's surprise, but the aftereffect was G22 which nobody discovered until after release =[ Also in SC3 I abused G22 like crazy after it was found... don't break my Sophitia B throw or eat 40% damage :V
Moderator
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-20 18:58:27
October 20 2011 18:56 GMT
#17
The original Dreamcast SC was just GODLY. I still play it from time to time.

I think some of the main factors why people consider the Soul series to have deteriorated are the story (increasingly dumb over time) and the fanservice. A little service is great, but it got too ridiculous. And too many characters, a number of which really weren't necessary. Even though you'd think it wouldn't matter at all for a fighting game, people like to bond to their characters.

EDIT: PS -- in desperate need of a Sophitia fix. Gimme gimme gimme. Please don't tell me she's gone!
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 20 2011 19:00 GMT
#18
Maxi is by far my favorite character, so glad there was a video of him :D
Write your own song!
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
October 20 2011 19:13 GMT
#19
On October 21 2011 03:35 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Who's the top US Tekken player you're talking about? Do you mean Ricky? Because he's on mobile QA now, not console QA anymore. In fact he's on my team for Ace Combat mobile right now.

Also I inadvertently put G22 in SC3 after I wrote up a suggestion for them to take out stepguard. They took it out, much to everyone's surprise, but the aftereffect was G22 which nobody discovered until after release =[ Also in SC3 I abused G22 like crazy after it was found... don't break my Sophitia B throw or eat 40% damage :V

oh, i meant filthierich, your community manager.
although i'm not sure to what extent he's doing any testing. maybe balance changes? i don't know.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
October 20 2011 19:33 GMT
#20
On October 21 2011 04:13 kainzero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 03:35 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Who's the top US Tekken player you're talking about? Do you mean Ricky? Because he's on mobile QA now, not console QA anymore. In fact he's on my team for Ace Combat mobile right now.

Also I inadvertently put G22 in SC3 after I wrote up a suggestion for them to take out stepguard. They took it out, much to everyone's surprise, but the aftereffect was G22 which nobody discovered until after release =[ Also in SC3 I abused G22 like crazy after it was found... don't break my Sophitia B throw or eat 40% damage :V

oh, i meant filthierich, your community manager.
although i'm not sure to what extent he's doing any testing. maybe balance changes? i don't know.


I dunno how much Rich is doing with this game beyond just showing it to press and community... Actually Project Soul is pretty outgoing this time around as you see from presenting it to Kayane and her friends, so I think a lot of the balance changes are probably going to come from their input.
Moderator
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM753
TKL 322
TaKeTV 255
IndyStarCraft 190
BRAT_OK 110
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 753
TKL 322
IndyStarCraft 190
MaxPax 162
ProTech138
BRAT_OK 110
UpATreeSC 86
MindelVK 19
EmSc Tv 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 909
EffOrt 561
Mini 529
ggaemo 177
firebathero 150
White-Ra 69
Barracks 57
910 50
Hyun 50
Shinee 45
[ Show more ]
Shine 35
Bale 26
Killer 25
Trap 22
ToSsGirL 18
soO 15
yabsab 12
Dota 2
qojqva4036
Counter-Strike
Fnx 746
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4734
crisheroes1339
Liquid`Hasu1144
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2558
singsing1670
B2W.Neo840
ceh9656
Beastyqt598
ArmadaUGS141
C9.Mang0116
Dewaltoss46
Trikslyr44
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream470
Other Games
BasetradeTV171
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 19
EmSc2Tv 19
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2447
• TFBlade824
Other Games
• Shiphtur266
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.