• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:54
CEST 19:54
KST 02:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Biografia
Playlenda
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9974 users

Path of Exile - Page 1113

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1759 Next
Guild invites: Message any of EvoSenseOfPride, ScionViableORly, neophyteWham, TheTouchOfGOLD in game
OR
post your character name in the thread and ask for an invite
Private league ladder (finished): https://www.pathofexile.com/private-leagues/league/TeamLiquid and friends
clusen
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany8702 Posts
September 14 2016 08:30 GMT
#22241
On September 14 2016 16:30 HolydaKing wrote:
Yup, when you calculate gem dps you gotta look at the cast speed too. Ice Nova has 591.25 dps at lvl 20 and Vortex has 636.66 dps plus the DoT with smaller crit chance. I'll probably try Vortex at some point and see myself if it's noticeable.

You have to look at so much more. Vortex doesn't need faster casting or echo , the DoT is what deals most of your damage - the initial hit "just" procs EE and ignites(and the ignite damage also gets scaled by spell dmg modifier, so going low life is a HUGE boost).

Vortex is what Ice Nova should've been in the first place.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 09:21:58
September 14 2016 09:14 GMT
#22242
Eh, in your case it'd be more like Fire Nova. I don't doubt Vortex is much better DPS, but I'm not using Ice Nova for ST in the first place. I can also imagine Freezing Pulse is worse than Vortex for ST, but I'm enjoying my cold dmg. Freezing Pulse manages to Freeze most bosses I've faced until now for the most time, with not nearly perfect gear. Once that changes I might consider trying Pyre Vortex or something.

For now I'm more concerned about map clearing speed and fun, not yet about doing things like T15/T16 bosses for which Vortex is probably the best "cold" spell considering it's on of few skills that have been used to kill the Shaper.

edit: Also how would you use EE? Vortex with Pyre does fire dmg and the DoT stays cold dmg or what? That would mean the burn after the initial hit (which doesn't have to be a crit) would get reduced dmg too no?
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
September 14 2016 10:22 GMT
#22243
On September 14 2016 18:14 HolydaKing wrote:
Eh, in your case it'd be more like Fire Nova. I don't doubt Vortex is much better DPS, but I'm not using Ice Nova for ST in the first place. I can also imagine Freezing Pulse is worse than Vortex for ST, but I'm enjoying my cold dmg. Freezing Pulse manages to Freeze most bosses I've faced until now for the most time, with not nearly perfect gear. Once that changes I might consider trying Pyre Vortex or something.

For now I'm more concerned about map clearing speed and fun, not yet about doing things like T15/T16 bosses for which Vortex is probably the best "cold" spell considering it's on of few skills that have been used to kill the Shaper.

edit: Also how would you use EE? Vortex with Pyre does fire dmg and the DoT stays cold dmg or what? That would mean the burn after the initial hit (which doesn't have to be a crit) would get reduced dmg too no?

Yeah that's totally fine. I think the angle we're coming from is mostly to explain why Vortex is used and the recommendation to just keep one in reserve so you can play around with it later if you'd like to. That kind of option usually beats levelling another gem to vaal later unless you're 100% confident in what you're doing.

As for EE with Pyre, that's exactly how it works. There isn't really a way to convert any degen at all so those kinda builds use the EE for a 'free' -50% to cold res. If it crits the ignite would be fire damage too (since it's based off the initial hit which is now fire damage) but the cold DoT is what you're really worried about.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 11:12:54
September 14 2016 11:12 GMT
#22244
On September 14 2016 19:22 r.Evo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2016 18:14 HolydaKing wrote:
Eh, in your case it'd be more like Fire Nova. I don't doubt Vortex is much better DPS, but I'm not using Ice Nova for ST in the first place. I can also imagine Freezing Pulse is worse than Vortex for ST, but I'm enjoying my cold dmg. Freezing Pulse manages to Freeze most bosses I've faced until now for the most time, with not nearly perfect gear. Once that changes I might consider trying Pyre Vortex or something.

For now I'm more concerned about map clearing speed and fun, not yet about doing things like T15/T16 bosses for which Vortex is probably the best "cold" spell considering it's on of few skills that have been used to kill the Shaper.

edit: Also how would you use EE? Vortex with Pyre does fire dmg and the DoT stays cold dmg or what? That would mean the burn after the initial hit (which doesn't have to be a crit) would get reduced dmg too no?

Yeah that's totally fine. I think the angle we're coming from is mostly to explain why Vortex is used and the recommendation to just keep one in reserve so you can play around with it later if you'd like to. That kind of option usually beats levelling another gem to vaal later unless you're 100% confident in what you're doing.

As for EE with Pyre, that's exactly how it works. There isn't really a way to convert any degen at all so those kinda builds use the EE for a 'free' -50% to cold res. If it crits the ignite would be fire damage too (since it's based off the initial hit which is now fire damage) but the cold DoT is what you're really worried about.

Ok, that is cool but my Ice Nova Witch does not need to get close and does just cold damage and freezes everyone. I can easily maneuver around the battlefield due to noticeable bigger AoE. Vortex with fire damage and smaller AoE will leave you vulnerable all the time.
These are not BV or SRS builds where you run around while those spells kill stuff. You need to stop and spam and live through that.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 11:20:30
September 14 2016 11:18 GMT
#22245
I think the point is that Vortex when geared and skilled right will one shot most stuff so it kinda doesn't need as much defense. The dmg on some videos I've seen looks pretty ridiculous at least. But yeah for now I like my Ice Nova one shotting the screen in T10 maps. But it obviously doesn't really cut it for bosses, unlike Vortex.
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
September 14 2016 11:33 GMT
#22246
Anyone know how precinct boss works? Sometimes there's 1 rogue exile, sometimes 4. I'm not even sure if monster dmg buffs them(it shouldn't but what about boss damage?

I'm also very disappointed that burning ground is still not working and should be rolled over.
[image loading]
as useful as teasalt
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 11:38:10
September 14 2016 11:36 GMT
#22247
Idk, I had some FPS issues earlier with burning ground, restarted the game and it was fine... there are some FPS issues since the last mini patch (see Reddit) for many people.

Oh and afaik Monster damage buffs every monster on the map including exiles. Boss damage obviously buffs them too since they are bosses in this case (they also drop maps unlike normal exiles).
Solmyr
Profile Joined April 2008
Poland261 Posts
September 14 2016 11:46 GMT
#22248
Once I got 5 exiles in Precint. Pack size might add them or it is just random.
Cheps
Profile Joined August 2010
United Arab Emirates197 Posts
September 14 2016 11:51 GMT
#22249
Looking for an invite to the guild. IGN = ChepsOriginalBowRanger

Haven't played in a while so looking forward to trying out the new subclasses and stuff. Thanks!
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
September 14 2016 11:58 GMT
#22250
On September 14 2016 20:51 Cheps wrote:
Looking for an invite to the guild. IGN = ChepsOriginalBowRanger

Haven't played in a while so looking forward to trying out the new subclasses and stuff. Thanks!

That name, bah. I doubt you are original unless you are also using Elemental Hit like me

I checked PoE class forums before starting my character, there was nobody in the last 1 year with a Elemental Hit build :D
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
September 14 2016 12:07 GMT
#22251
I remember times when that gem was super sought after and drop only. RIP ele hit. =(
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 12:08:13
September 14 2016 12:08 GMT
#22252
On September 14 2016 20:58 -Archangel- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2016 20:51 Cheps wrote:
Looking for an invite to the guild. IGN = ChepsOriginalBowRanger

Haven't played in a while so looking forward to trying out the new subclasses and stuff. Thanks!

That name, bah. I doubt you are original unless you are also using Elemental Hit like me

I checked PoE class forums before starting my character, there was nobody in the last 1 year with a Elemental Hit build :D

Not quite true. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1596343 for example. See

http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list

No one has a build guide for 2.4 though.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
September 14 2016 12:18 GMT
#22253
To be fair that first one was pretty much carried by this:
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
clusen
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany8702 Posts
September 14 2016 12:51 GMT
#22254
On September 14 2016 20:12 -Archangel- wrote:
These are not BV or SRS builds where you run around while those spells kill stuff. You need to stop and spam and live through that.

Vortex is exactly that, you cast it usually once and then move on the next pack, the DoT will kill the pack for you.
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 13:05:09
September 14 2016 12:55 GMT
#22255
On September 14 2016 21:08 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2016 20:58 -Archangel- wrote:
On September 14 2016 20:51 Cheps wrote:
Looking for an invite to the guild. IGN = ChepsOriginalBowRanger

Haven't played in a while so looking forward to trying out the new subclasses and stuff. Thanks!

That name, bah. I doubt you are original unless you are also using Elemental Hit like me

I checked PoE class forums before starting my character, there was nobody in the last 1 year with a Elemental Hit build :D

Not quite true. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1596343 for example. See

http://www.timtips.com/buildbrowser/#/list

No one has a build guide for 2.4 though.

Ok, but we are talking about a bow build here
I didn't check Witch class forum as I assumed nobody there would be making a Bow build.
EDIT: Also that is not a real build, just a theorycraft.

Btw the Ele Hit tooltip says I got 10k DPS when all my 5 PC are up. That tooltip does not count Ele hit elemental base damage. Can I assume that is good damage?
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
September 14 2016 13:08 GMT
#22256
On September 14 2016 21:51 clusen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2016 20:12 -Archangel- wrote:
These are not BV or SRS builds where you run around while those spells kill stuff. You need to stop and spam and live through that.

Vortex is exactly that, you cast it usually once and then move on the next pack, the DoT will kill the pack for you.

I tried it, it has too low AoE. Maybe it somehow works better with Convert to Fire build. My Ice Nova Witch followed a build of a guy that claimed he clears maps super fast up to T10 (he never got a T11 map to drop for him). Also it is super cheap as it only needs one unique weapon that cost me 1 Alchemy :D

Build takes as many increased AoE as you can find and also has you use a Increased AoE support. I just swapped Ice Nova Gem for a quality Vortex gem and I killed shit slower as I could not reach all the groups I could reach before.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
September 14 2016 14:20 GMT
#22257
I'm playing around with Kitava's Thirst and it's really fun. My Ice Nova costs just over 100 mana and I'm currently using Frost Bomb, Frostbolt, Vortex and Freezing Pulse in Kitava's. It's probably not much if any better than before but it allows me to use Ice Nova against bosses fairly well, which is nice. Also don't need to cast Frost Bomb anymore which I often forgot and given I use Vaal Lightning Trap it's one action less to worry about.
-Archangel-
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia7457 Posts
September 14 2016 14:30 GMT
#22258
I need some more advice now.
This is how my passive tree looks at the moment: + Show Spoiler +
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAOWBbUF-Q-rEYEUdRXwFr8ZiiPTI_YkiyT9JpUqOCpbMHwyCTWSOdQ7KDxLQzZHBkkPSshNkk3jTipRR1LsVEdVS1b6WBdaUluvXkVfsGBDYeJirGNDY6dsRmyMbj1uqm8nb55v8nBScmx3B3fXefZ7bnvDfyuDCYTFhweHE4nTjDaNfY2_kvOXBpchmmqbXZu1nKSdqqCfoj6mV6a-qJqrurTFtfK7476AwUnBfMLswzrEosjcykrUI9ct2GDYvdvn3UbnVPKX8uH66_4K_h3-j_66_94=


My current setup is:
6S5L: Ele hit+Fas Att+Wea Ele Dmg+ PCoC + LMP and 1S Arctic Armor
5L: Blink Arrow+Faster Att+Ice Golem+Blind+Improved Minion Life
4L: HoI+HoT+Cast Curse on Hit+Poacher's Mark
4L: Cast on Damage Taken+Ice Wall+Increased Duration+Vaal Grace (Vaal spells don't work with CoDT so I just benefit from Increased Duration here)
4S2L: Spell Totem+Elemental Weakness and I keep a Improved Critical Damage gem here to level it up. One slot unused (well technically 2 since I can keep gems for level up in secondary weapons slot)

#1
I don't really know what I should put here. I was thinking about using my 5L for my HoI+HoT+Cast Curse on Hit+Innervate+some Curse to possible get some Onslaught from killing packs which might not work as HoI and HoT don't get to kill much atm :D (HoT is more useful at applying CCoH with its lightning over time effect).

#2
Also I was thinking about switching Poacher's Mark for Assassin Mark, then using Blood Rage and switch Power Charge from Crit to Improved Critical Damage.

I also use Victario's Acuity that gives me 10% chance per kill to generate FC or PC. It is not reliable enough on its own but helps with whatever other setup I got.

Suggestions welcome about both things.
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
September 14 2016 14:50 GMT
#22259
On September 14 2016 23:20 HolydaKing wrote:
I'm playing around with Kitava's Thirst and it's really fun. My Ice Nova costs just over 100 mana and I'm currently using Frost Bomb, Frostbolt, Vortex and Freezing Pulse in Kitava's. It's probably not much if any better than before but it allows me to use Ice Nova against bosses fairly well, which is nice. Also don't need to cast Frost Bomb anymore which I often forgot and given I use Vaal Lightning Trap it's one action less to worry about.


How does that interact with the BM gem?

There was a quad curse BV build that used it, seemed cool.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-14 14:55:13
September 14 2016 14:51 GMT
#22260
Using PCoC but not Increased Critical Strike Chance looks like a bad idea. So do #2 but depending on the crit chance either dmg or crit chance gem, the later is extremely strong nowadays imo.

You can also get power charges with CWDT + PCoC + Blade Vortex (+Crit Chance) fairly well once you are close to enemies, but you likely rarely are so it's probably no big help.

edit: I'm not using Blood Magic gem. Afaik GGG also said that doesn't work.
Prev 1 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1759 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 579
UpATreeSC 120
ProTech82
JuggernautJason33
MindelVK 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33054
Calm 3433
Shuttle 1115
actioN 223
firebathero 173
Dewaltoss 107
Hyuk 107
Barracks 106
Liquid`Ret 71
Hyun 31
[ Show more ]
Free 25
Bale 24
HiyA 24
Aegong 21
NaDa 21
soO 19
PianO 17
Shine 14
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8753
Dendi1164
XaKoH 387
Fuzer 107
League of Legends
KnowMe82
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1296
fl0m1163
x6flipin448
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu34
Other Games
singsing2034
FrodaN1464
Beastyqt709
ceh9417
B2W.Neo400
mouzStarbuck310
byalli194
Livibee187
C9.Mang0163
RotterdaM110
Trikslyr73
Mew2King57
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 60
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV422
Other Games
• Shiphtur847
• imaqtpie621
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 22m
Replay Cast
5h 7m
OSC
1d 5h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 16h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 23h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.