• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:05
CEST 02:05
KST 09:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9131 users

Scmdraft 2 - 0.9.0 Preview

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-02 21:13:16
May 17 2017 00:09 GMT
#1
After having worked on improving the stability and features of scmdraft 2 for the last couple of months, I think it is a good time to get some feedback on the (minor) changes to the UI, and squish the remaining and any newly introduced bugs.

The current build (Latest: 2017.07.02) may be accessed here: www.stormcoast-fortress.net

Most of the work went into improving the internal code and structures, but there are some UI changes. This includes a new overlay panel on the left sidebar, a reworked doodad palette, and a new unit palette.

Let me know what you think and if it works.


Some of the new features:

Transparent creep:
[image loading]

Rotational Symmetry:
[image loading]

Unit range display
[image loading]


Pathfinding region preview
[image loading]
Mistakes
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1104 Posts
May 17 2017 00:13 GMT
#2
Ooh very interested. I spent many hours with the first one. :D
StarCraft | www.psistorm.com | www.twitter.com/MistakesSC | www.twitch.tv/MistakesSC | Seattle
heluq
Profile Joined October 2014
Spain119 Posts
May 17 2017 00:20 GMT
#3
good job!
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
May 17 2017 01:25 GMT
#4
Thanks Suicidal Insanity, the best editor out there just became better.
www.broodwarmaps.net
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
May 17 2017 03:45 GMT
#5
SI, if we want to post a bug, or even a suggestion, or anything like that, would you like it to be posted here on TL or on Staredit.net, or PM or email? I personally have a really hard time with SEN (doesn't even send me a verification email even after multiple tries).
www.broodwarmaps.net
FOXin
Profile Blog Joined May 2017
China15 Posts
May 17 2017 05:22 GMT
#6
unbelievable,this project is still alive。
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-17 08:28:55
May 17 2017 07:57 GMT
#7
On May 17 2017 12:45 JungleTerrain wrote:
SI, if we want to post a bug, or even a suggestion, or anything like that, would you like it to be posted here on TL or on Staredit.net, or PM or email? I personally have a really hard time with SEN (doesn't even send me a verification email even after multiple tries).


Here is fine. That's why I made the thread =) Once I'm fairly confident most of the remaining bugs have been found and fixed I'll continue posting it to more sites.

Note: I may be traveling the next few days and offline
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-17 18:44:30
May 17 2017 18:33 GMT
#8
On May 17 2017 16:57 S.I. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 17 2017 12:45 JungleTerrain wrote:
SI, if we want to post a bug, or even a suggestion, or anything like that, would you like it to be posted here on TL or on Staredit.net, or PM or email? I personally have a really hard time with SEN (doesn't even send me a verification email even after multiple tries).


Here is fine. That's why I made the thread =) Once I'm fairly confident most of the remaining bugs have been found and fixed I'll continue posting it to more sites.

Note: I may be traveling the next few days and offline



One small QoL suggestion I have:

-Switching from one map window to another one, preserving the brush that had been selected in that window before switching to another one (or at least having the option to preserve brush).
I tend to do a lot of copy/paste work in my melee maps, and I switch windows constantly. Having to go back and select the same brush I was using before can get quite annoying.
Example: Was on a space map, using Low Platform brush. Switched to other window to check something, go back to the original window, and Elevated Catwalk was selected instead of Low Platform brush.
Very small thing, if it's not too much trouble it would be great!

EDIT: After some thought, this might be better as an option more than a default setting.

Just checked but it also applies to the other layers (Unit, Doodad, Sprite, etc.). Maybe there could be an option like "Preserve Brush when Window Switching" or something of the sort [under Profile Settings maybe?]

I'm absolutely loving the Tile and Microtile overlays! Although I'm not too sure what some of them are, for example, what is the difference between "Height" and "High Ground"? (EDIT2: Just found out what Height does) And all the "Unknown" or "Deprecated" overlays? Maybe these questions are better answered on SEN, although I cannot even make an account there... Will you be filling these in with more proper names once they are figured out in an upcoming release?

Thanks SI! It's looking great so far. I quickly looked through most of the options and features, haven't found anything odd.

www.broodwarmaps.net
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
May 17 2017 18:57 GMT
#9
Not sure if this is intended, but resizing the terrain, unit and doodad windows by dragging the corner/border causes it to move as it is being dragged by the cursor. Looks kinda buggy as it does this, as well.
www.broodwarmaps.net
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-17 19:41:01
May 17 2017 18:58 GMT
#10
Switching between maps should restore the previous layer + brush settings. Same when switching back and forth between layers. I change a lot of the implementation of how the exact brush contents are stored (I now have a nice "StarcraftBrush" class instead of a bunch of settings), so it looks like that isn't working perfectly. I'll get that fixed soon.

I'm fairly sure the game doesn't even load most of the 'deprecated' flags, those are just listed for people who are interested in viewing the info stored in the tileset. The game regenerates a few pathfinding and fog of war related ones on data load, and overwrites em. If anyone knows what the unknown flags are for I'll add proper names.

For the palettes: What OS are you using? I haven't seen that happen on either of my PCs. (Maybe we should take the troubleshooting to PMs)
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-20 13:55:02
May 17 2017 20:06 GMT
#11
On May 18 2017 03:33 JungleTerrain wrote:I'm absolutely loving the Tile and Microtile overlays! Although I'm not too sure what some of them are, for example, what is the difference between "Height" and "High Ground"? (EDIT2: Just found out what Height does) And all the "Unknown" or "Deprecated" overlays? Maybe these questions are better answered on SEN, although I cannot even make an account there... Will you be filling these in with more proper names once they are figured out in an upcoming release?


Since I spend a lot of time helping figuring these out: Here's a complete list of currently available tile flag overlays:
Minitile level overlays:
Impassable: exactly what it says on the tin (aka unwalkable)
Medium Ground: ewisott
High Ground: ewisott
Obscuring: vision obstructing doodads. These are only used to initialize tilewise vision calculations. If at least one minitile of a tile has a set flag, that tile acts as a vision blocking tile (blocks line of sight for all ground units on any terrain level)
Unknown(ramp?): ewisott (only ever set on ramp tiles). Which function this has in the game, if any, is not known.
Others(0xFFE0): Unused flags. Have no function and are never set. Just ignore these
Height: Combination of Medium Ground, High Ground and Obscuring flags (see above), so you can see all terrain levels in one overlay (better combination and customization options may be implemented later).

Tile level overlays:
Building placability (sic!): read: buildability... For Installation this currently seems to only show settings of flag 0x8000 instead, which allows for the placement of Beacons and Starting Locations, but not actual buildings.
Creep: Creep tiles (currently marks both creep tiles from the palette and tiles dynamically covered with creep from a source unit)
LOS obscuring: Marks vision blocking tiles. Not an actual tile flag but a value the engine generates at gamestart from the associated subtile flags (see above)
Height: Also not an actual flag but an elevation value the game engine calculates at game start to determine terrain level for vision calculations. Vision blocking tiles are also included in this overlay, so you could more accurately dub it the vision overlay. The minitile threshold is off by 1 for medium ground in this version, but S.I. will fix that today.
Provides Cover: Tiles that grands units on them a ~50% chance to be missed by ranged attacks
Mostly walkable/Not mostly walkable: One being just the inversion of the other; I can't be sure, but I think this is actually not a pre-set flag but information calculated at game-start for pathfinding. Less than 4 unwalkable subtiles is the threshold.
Partially walkable: Similar to the above, but assigned to all tiles which are neither fully walkable nor fully unwalkable.
Deprecated(0x0001): Seems to have denoted something similar to unbuildability at some point. As the deprecated already suggests, you can safely forget about this one.
Deprecated(0x0004): Denotes normal unwalkable terrain types, i.e. cliffs and water-like terrain. Probably no in-game function.
Deprecated(0x0100): Indicates doodads with sprites. Used to initialize sprite flags. Does not really yield any useful information.
Deprecated(0x0200): Seems to have indicated medium ground at some point, except for Badlands and Ash World terrains.
Deprecated(0x0400): Seems to have indicated high ground at some point, except for Badlands and Ash World terrains where it is linked to medium ground instead.
Unknown(0x0002), (0x0008), (0x0020), Deprecated(0x0800): These are unused (never set), just ignore them.
Pure/Unit/Flipped Sprite (doodad): Used to initialize doodad sprite flags. Pretty much ewisott.
Bolshevik-
Profile Joined November 2015
39 Posts
May 17 2017 23:29 GMT
#12
The new SC doesn't allow for some colors like black and blueish grey (they appear as some random color like teal or green in game instead of the black assigned). If possible a fix would be much appreciated.
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-17 23:44:34
May 17 2017 23:44 GMT
#13
Black never was an official color, it just worked to due a buffer overflow in the player color lookup, and always has been patch dependent. StarCraft (since broodwar and up to 1.16) only has 16 colors defined "officially". I never tested if 1.18 still has all 16 - but they still are in the data files for the 8bit graphics.
Bolshevik-
Profile Joined November 2015
39 Posts
May 18 2017 02:03 GMT
#14
On May 18 2017 08:44 S.I. wrote:
Black never was an official color, it just worked to due a buffer overflow in the player color lookup, and always has been patch dependent. StarCraft (since broodwar and up to 1.16) only has 16 colors defined "officially". I never tested if 1.18 still has all 16 - but they still are in the data files for the 8bit graphics.


Yeah well I know the blueish gray and a couple numbers that I'v tried including "19" and "20" (diff shades of black) don't work. Hardly a big deal just makes me sad because black was really cool in this one UMS map that I liked to play.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10870 Posts
May 18 2017 04:47 GMT
#15
Amazing work, glad SCMDraft is still going, the functionality in this thing is unbelievable...I've tinkered with it a few times myself. =P
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-18 09:04:04
May 18 2017 09:03 GMT
#16
On May 18 2017 08:44 S.I. wrote:
Black never was an official color, it just worked to due a buffer overflow in the player color lookup, and always has been patch dependent. StarCraft (since broodwar and up to 1.16) only has 16 colors defined "officially". I never tested if 1.18 still has all 16 - but they still are in the data files for the 8bit graphics.

Only colours 1..12 (red, blue, teal, purple, orange, brown, white, yellow, green, tan [aka. peach], pale yellow, dark aqua [neutral player colour]) are properly defined, all others are buffer overflows which appear differently, dependent on the tileset and game version.
It might be possible to find a black colour under 1.18 (or some other one that looks cool) by just testing the complete byte range.
Glioburd
Profile Joined April 2008
France1911 Posts
May 18 2017 09:38 GMT
#17
Cool initiative, thanks, I will try to play with it like the good old times :p
"You should hate loosing, but you should never fear defeat." NaDa.
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-19 12:11:37
May 19 2017 08:19 GMT
#18
Image 1
[image loading]
Image 2
[image loading]
Image 3
[image loading]

So I wanted to point out what seems to be a UI inconsistency.

Image 1 shows that I have the minerals selected, and at the bottom it says "7 units selected." This is correct.

Image 2 shows what happens after you place a unit and then try to select any other units. Here I have placed a few marines for Player 1, and then I selected them. As you can see, the UI at the bottom does not update and still displays "Placing: Terran Marine." SCMDraft 2.0 Beta 0.8.0 in this case would display "# units selected" here.

Image 3 shows what happens after you clear the selection. At the bottom, the big arrow is pointing to the fact that it still says "Placing: Terran Marine" even though this is not the case. In 0.8.0 this would just say "No selection."

Also, I don't know how big of a deal this is, but the three smaller arrows are pointing to the graphical residue left by the HP bars of the units leftover after clearing the selection. Once you move the camera to another part of the map, these clear. Might not be able to see it on here... I might have to put a zoomed in picture.

Not sure if you were aware of these already, but there ya go!

www.broodwarmaps.net
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
May 19 2017 17:49 GMT
#19
Didn't know about the status bar issue, good catch. I knew about the health bar remnants (The good news is: the healthbars now have the correct offset !), but I'm sure there are other graphical glitches I don't know about, since I changed quite a bit of the GFX code.
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 10:35:50
May 21 2017 10:31 GMT
#20
I decided to do something fun last night.... transparent creep: [image loading]
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 126
Nina 83
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1346
GuemChi 998
Artosis 621
910 35
MaD[AoV]20
Bale 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever45
League of Legends
JimRising 705
Counter-Strike
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox620
Other Games
summit1g8460
Day[9].tv606
shahzam491
C9.Mang0333
Trikslyr42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick601
BasetradeTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie886
• Shiphtur679
• Day9tv606
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
15h 55m
The PondCast
1d 9h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.