• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:42
CEST 22:42
KST 05:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6210 users

Scmdraft 2 - 0.9.0 Preview - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
June 27 2017 15:38 GMT
#41
Brood War is literally just a pile of bugs stacked together that somehow ended up as the best game.
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
June 27 2017 17:16 GMT
#42
On June 28 2017 00:38 neobowman wrote:
Brood War is literally just a pile of bugs stacked together that somehow ended up as the best game.

Don't forget the quick + dirty hacks like worker stacking.
RedW4rr10r
Profile Joined January 2010
Switzerland749 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-28 23:01:40
June 28 2017 22:35 GMT
#43
I've got a question and i hope this belongs to here.

Does anybody know what exactly those AI scritps do (examples):

Brood Wars Protoss 2 - Town D
Brood Wars Terran 4 - Town A
Brood Wars Zerg 1 - Town E


Other strange ones are:

Protoss 10 - Mini-Ttowns
Protoss 3 - Air Zerg Town
Terran 2 - Electornic Distribution
Zerg 9 - Right Orange Protoss


Edit: I've just opened BW campaign Zerg 3 where you have to gather 10k minerals and you only have Terran opponents. All Terran AIs use scripts like "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town D" (applies for orange who never attacks you - and has a firebat constantly jumping into a bunker and leaving it again). However, brown uses the script "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town E" who attacks you every now and then. So those script stand for the respective missions in both StarCraft and Brood War and they seem to be hard coded.
Rip & Tear until it is done!
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
June 28 2017 23:11 GMT
#44
Yea I think they are what you discovered here, just general AI's made for specific purposes (the campaign missions) and assigned arbitrary names. However we don't really know exactly what they do and you would have to open the script somehow to change it.

I'm guessing that the script is as you said, hard coded into the game and the script merely "calls" on it.
www.broodwarmaps.net
RedW4rr10r
Profile Joined January 2010
Switzerland749 Posts
June 28 2017 23:19 GMT
#45
I've always wondered how you can create a nuke silo with a nuke in it, I just didn't get it to work. But Brood War Terran 5a proves that it can be done. And on top of that the nuke silo's lights flash only for a few seconds when it's building a nuke. I never understood.
But now when opening BW Terra 5a, player 1 (the nuking terran) uses the script "Brood Wars Terran 2 - Town A". At first I was confused but I remembered that in BW Terran 2 you have four nukes in the later stages (the mission where you have to steal those battle cruisers). And there was the same thing with the nukes...

Ok, at least I know now for sure that I didn't have a chance to do this myself xD Well, I did manage to make the AI build a nuke but in order to make that happen, it needs to start harvesting and shortly after, it builds the nuke. However, the building time is the standard one, but those campaign scenarios use a "chrono boost" or whatever :D
Rip & Tear until it is done!
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
June 29 2017 03:14 GMT
#46
On June 29 2017 08:19 RedW4rr10r wrote:
I've always wondered how you can create a nuke silo with a nuke in it, I just didn't get it to work. But Brood War Terran 5a proves that it can be done. And on top of that the nuke silo's lights flash only for a few seconds when it's building a nuke. I never understood.
But now when opening BW Terra 5a, player 1 (the nuking terran) uses the script "Brood Wars Terran 2 - Town A". At first I was confused but I remembered that in BW Terran 2 you have four nukes in the later stages (the mission where you have to steal those battle cruisers). And there was the same thing with the nukes...

Ok, at least I know now for sure that I didn't have a chance to do this myself xD Well, I did manage to make the AI build a nuke but in order to make that happen, it needs to start harvesting and shortly after, it builds the nuke. However, the building time is the standard one, but those campaign scenarios use a "chrono boost" or whatever :D


Yeah, for the most part we are very limited as mapmakers in what we can make an AI do in the game. But I think it would also get very complicated quickly if you have so many options to make a computer player do stuff. It would be very complex I think. I wonder if the SSCAIT people use scripts, I haven't looked into it.
www.broodwarmaps.net
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-29 04:32:14
June 29 2017 04:31 GMT
#47
S.I. is it possible to have an editable Recent Maps list under the Files menu?

Nothing too crazy, but for example at least being able to delete some of the entries.
www.broodwarmaps.net
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-29 08:43:16
June 29 2017 08:17 GMT
#48
On June 29 2017 07:35 RedW4rr10r wrote:
I've got a question and i hope this belongs to here.

Does anybody know what exactly those AI scritps do (examples):

Brood Wars Protoss 2 - Town D
Brood Wars Terran 4 - Town A
Brood Wars Zerg 1 - Town E


Other strange ones are:

Protoss 10 - Mini-Ttowns
Protoss 3 - Air Zerg Town
Terran 2 - Electornic Distribution
Zerg 9 - Right Orange Protoss


Edit: I've just opened BW campaign Zerg 3 where you have to gather 10k minerals and you only have Terran opponents. All Terran AIs use scripts like "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town D" (applies for orange who never attacks you - and has a firebat constantly jumping into a bunker and leaving it again). However, brown uses the script "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town E" who attacks you every now and then. So those script stand for the respective missions in both StarCraft and Brood War and they seem to be hard coded.

Yes, those are Campaign scripts. All they usually do is give a list of buildings to build, some instructions what units to defend with (against ground to ground attacks build the following units and use them for defense etc...) and hard-coded attacks (build such and such units and send them attacking).
Protoss 10 - Mini-Ttowns is a satellite base script (analogous to the "Campaign area town" scripts). All it does is make the AI build a Hatch (if there isn't one already) and some workers and use them to mine at those locations.

Terran 2 - Electronic Distribution is a script for the Shareware campaign. Some of them are actually dublicates, as there are also "Shareware" scripts around (but the actual Shareware release leaves out some of the missions).

There is actually an AI script editor for BroodWar you can read the scripts with and see what exactly they do. Just search the web for it.

EDIT: Use this as a starting point.
RedW4rr10r
Profile Joined January 2010
Switzerland749 Posts
June 29 2017 09:38 GMT
#49
On June 29 2017 17:17 Freakling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2017 07:35 RedW4rr10r wrote:
I've got a question and i hope this belongs to here.

Does anybody know what exactly those AI scritps do (examples):

Brood Wars Protoss 2 - Town D
Brood Wars Terran 4 - Town A
Brood Wars Zerg 1 - Town E


Other strange ones are:

Protoss 10 - Mini-Ttowns
Protoss 3 - Air Zerg Town
Terran 2 - Electornic Distribution
Zerg 9 - Right Orange Protoss


Edit: I've just opened BW campaign Zerg 3 where you have to gather 10k minerals and you only have Terran opponents. All Terran AIs use scripts like "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town D" (applies for orange who never attacks you - and has a firebat constantly jumping into a bunker and leaving it again). However, brown uses the script "Brood Wars Zerg 3 - Town E" who attacks you every now and then. So those script stand for the respective missions in both StarCraft and Brood War and they seem to be hard coded.

Yes, those are Campaign scripts. All they usually do is give a list of buildings to build, some instructions what units to defend with (against ground to ground attacks build the following units and use them for defense etc...) and hard-coded attacks (build such and such units and send them attacking).
Protoss 10 - Mini-Ttowns is a satellite base script (analogous to the "Campaign area town" scripts). All it does is make the AI build a Hatch (if there isn't one already) and some workers and use them to mine at those locations.

Terran 2 - Electronic Distribution is a script for the Shareware campaign. Some of them are actually dublicates, as there are also "Shareware" scripts around (but the actual Shareware release leaves out some of the missions).

There is actually an AI script editor for BroodWar you can read the scripts with and see what exactly they do. Just search the web for it.

EDIT: Use this as a starting point.

Wow cool, thanks for your help!
Rip & Tear until it is done!
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
June 29 2017 18:34 GMT
#50
On June 29 2017 13:31 JungleTerrain wrote:
S.I. is it possible to have an editable Recent Maps list under the Files menu?

Nothing too crazy, but for example at least being able to delete some of the entries.


I could add a clear button to nuke em all, but too niche to do much more with. For now you can just clear em by removing the entries in the registry.
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-01 02:18:11
July 01 2017 02:17 GMT
#51
.... still very much a work in progress.... and I'm very grateful to tscmoo for letting me reimplement his reimplementation and answering questions.

[image loading]
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
July 01 2017 02:28 GMT
#52
On July 01 2017 11:17 S.I. wrote:
.... still very much a work in progress.... and I'm very grateful to tscmoo for letting me reimplement his reimplementation and answering questions.

[image loading]


What is that exactly?
www.broodwarmaps.net
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-01 12:19:26
July 01 2017 09:04 GMT
#53
That is a preview for what the pathfinding region preview will look like!
Yes, it is really happening! : Soon we are going to have access to pathfinding directly via the editor! I guess there is a lot of figuring out how to best interpret the raw data left to do, but things like balancing resources and wiping out stuck 'n stacked bugs will become a whole lot easier and less time consuming!
I need to go buy more exclamation marks!
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-02 18:32:01
July 02 2017 02:49 GMT
#54
Its a display of the regions used by starcraft for the high level portion of the pathfinding algorithm. I believe starcraft first determines a path from start point to end point as a list of regions, and dynamically calculates the actual path by looking ahead a few regions at a time from the current unit position.

Here is the same thing for the (6)Acropolis map, except now it also displays the tiles which are part of two regions correctly and the links between regions:

[image loading]


E: And Circuit Breaker, pathfinding + terrain height overlays: Click for full sized.
[image loading]

JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-03 05:33:46
July 03 2017 05:30 GMT
#55
How did I not see these posts?

Dude that is crazy! SCMDraft has just ascended into God-level editing powers. Thanks SI (and whoever helped you if anyone) for these new features.

I really want to learn in-depth about these pathfinding regions... looks really interesting. I don't currently see (from that overlay) how it will help with resource debugging (I need an explanation). Or maybe as you said we just need to interpret the raw data and see what it's telling us?

Edit: lol and of course Circuit Breakers has elevation bugs in its ramps...
www.broodwarmaps.net
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
July 03 2017 06:35 GMT
#56
Lots of credit belongs to tscmoo, he let me look at his reverse engineered code to implement this and generated a dump of a map or two to track down two or three bugs.



Guess why I choose that map as the example
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
July 03 2017 08:24 GMT
#57
Can any one link some game VODs where the ramp vortex happened (on FS or other maps)?
JungleTerrain
Profile Joined January 2012
Chile799 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-03 15:58:44
July 03 2017 15:57 GMT
#58
[image loading]

So in this image, it shows that individual tiles in different elevation relative to its surroundings actually has its own pathfinding region assigned to it, and you can see lines coming from them and going to the region in which they are inside of. It's like mini-regions inside a bigger region.

So this means that elevation bugs in ramps actually affects pathing?

And how are these regions created? The game looks for tiles with similar properties and clumps them together?
www.broodwarmaps.net
S.I.
Profile Joined April 2017
58 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-03 18:36:10
July 03 2017 18:35 GMT
#59
I'm not sure whether that significantly changes pathing in this example. For long distances the game creates a list of regions the unit has to go through, but the exact path the unit follows is calculated for the next few regions in advance, so its fairly likely the pathfinding will switch to the short range algorithm before that matters. I'm not very familiar with how the game does that yet so I can't give a definitive answer.

Region creation real fast:
- Mark the map tiles by elevation + passible
- find large rects of the same height from top left to bottom right.
- expand found rects to include tiles between rects
- merge small regions into neighbors if possible.


The region display is updated in realtime as you edit the terrain so you can see how your changes affect it.
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-07-07 16:40:39
July 06 2017 23:05 GMT
#60
Wow, this is huge:

Any one who is following map threads on BWMN will probably bot be surprised, as this was to be expected from my working out the ramp vortex bug (and thus more generally any kind of stuck stack bug).

So I did the obvious thing:
I opened up an unprotected version of the old (Wiki)(3)Demon& and marked all region nodes with a cursor sprite. Then I stacked a ton of burrowed units around the Forest area and unburrowed them all at once. Guess which are the exact locations where they get stacked and stuck?:
+ Show Spoiler [Guess before looking!] +
[image loading]


I guess we are going to see some new map with a Forest in the near future. Just don't put trees on the wrong spots!

EDIT: As a little bonus: Here is a version of Fighting Spirit plus a pinch of magic minus ramp vortex. Hooray!

EDIT2: Put another two minutes of editing into FS. I also fixed most of the blind spots on the reverse ramps now. I only left the ones on the edge tile untouched for now, as those cannot be fixed without also screwing up pathfinding all over the map.

I am also working on a bugfixed version of CB, but that's obviously "a bit" more work...
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 481
ProTech146
Railgan 73
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1465
Dewaltoss 142
Trap 28
Bale 16
Dota 2
420jenkins521
Counter-Strike
fl0m4299
Fnx 619
minikerr3
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4578
Liquid`Hasu606
Other Games
summit1g4920
Liquid`RaSZi1812
FrodaN804
B2W.Neo559
XaKoH 251
ToD215
RotterdaM95
QueenE70
JuggernautJason47
PPMD26
Mew2King25
C9.Mang00
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream15
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21126
Other Games
• Shiphtur1026
• imaqtpie802
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 18m
Patches Events
19h 18m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.