• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:55
CEST 18:55
KST 01:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9798 users

Shogun: Total War 2 - Page 21

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 28 Next All
Match
Profile Joined January 2011
215 Posts
March 27 2011 17:05 GMT
#401
The only problem I have with Shogun 2 is the AI cheating. It's really, really, really annoying.
GrackGyver
Profile Joined March 2011
61 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 17:18:09
March 27 2011 17:13 GMT
#402
I don't really understand the hype over this game. I've played a bunch of TW games and their quality seems to steadily DECLINE over time. Rome was pretty darn good and the last actually GOOD one I remember. This one though, it's supposed to be next gen graphics but it really doesn't look good. Jagged shit everywhere, super high contrast/reflections that make things look just BAD. Hell the campaign map looks bad even, with all settings maxed. Then as usual with CA it's buggy as hell, I spent quite a while in a siege last night just to have the game crash when I was about to win. It's just not impressive.

Edit: so I guess if you're happy with some traditional japanese music, some pretty underwhelming graphics and the obviously unfinished crash-prone game package, then this game is good. Personally I think I'll wait until it gets patched or modded quite a bit before I come back and spend some time on it.
Maggeus
Profile Joined April 2010
France277 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 17:30:40
March 27 2011 17:29 GMT
#403
Well, I played more than 20 hours, and I never crashed once, and I really think even in high details the game looks good. Not "OMG CRYSIS 2 AWESOME", but still good.
I'm not someone who looks at the graphics anyway, the design's more important in my eyes.

As many of you, my main problem is the AI cheating, but I'm sure, as with all others TW games, mods will come out. Also thanks to the hype for this game. :D

I kinda agree though that CA should really plan to change their policy of debugging the freakin game before it's out...
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
March 27 2011 17:37 GMT
#404
On March 28 2011 02:05 Match wrote:
The only problem I have with Shogun 2 is the AI cheating. It's really, really, really annoying.


Every AI cheats to a certain degree unless its something simple like chess.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
optical630
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom768 Posts
March 27 2011 18:11 GMT
#405
Rome is still superior imo ;/ sad but true, i really reccomend that game for someone new to the total war series

online play still popular too.
Tiegrr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States607 Posts
March 27 2011 18:55 GMT
#406
They need to remake Rome. Even just a graphics update would give me nerdgasms.
Zabimaru
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom132 Posts
March 27 2011 19:11 GMT
#407
Can't continue the campaign.... every time I end my turn the game crashes... Can't wait till they pacth it. >_<
To Death we shall all go.
Tiegrr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States607 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 20:31:39
March 27 2011 20:00 GMT
#408
On March 23 2011 09:34 curreh wrote:
Oh and tiegrr, do you have any tips for winning disadvantaged battles? I won one decently before, was 900 v 1300 and I got attacked in the field, so I put all my army on a hill, with my archers at the front to shoot as the enemy charged up, and had a samurai hidden in the trees that flanked and broke a unit very well, that turned out okay! I lost 300 and the enemy lost 1100 ^_^

Ahhh I forgot I posted here.

Total War puts a big emphasis on positioning. Try and take down engagements as quickly as possible, and with the right units (swords vs infantry, yari vs cavalry, archers shooting infantry, you don't have to worry about naginatas as they do the same thing vs cavalry and infantry).

If your archers get attacked, don't let them sit there and get destroyed. Reinforce them and move the archers back to allow them to do what they're supposed to: shoot arrows.

Flanks have a huge impact on enemy morale as well. If you've got a unit in front engaging the enemy and you suddenly come in from the back, they'll be taking twice the amount of damage (surface area ) and will rout very quickly.

Cavalry charges from the back are usually the best way to flank, but make sure you don't stay. Remember that your cavalry have a Charge Bonus, so double click in from the back, and get out once the charge finishes. Rinse and repeat.

If you're HEAVILY outnumbered, try not to get into a Convex. Concaves are always better, meaning you're doing most of the attacking. Your units being in a Convex means they'll die much quicker and you might be surrounded when part of your wall collapses from routing. Try not to engage in the open, as you'll lose ALOT less men if you're near mountains or in a forest. If you can ambush or put your troops up against a mountain, they'll have less time to react or get hits in.
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
March 27 2011 22:25 GMT
#409
On March 27 2011 07:24 killanator wrote:
Teamliquid.net is first place in clan competition! keep it up woot!



how i get into this?

I havent touched the multiplayer yet, still enjoying the campaigns. I am on my 4th..(?) one. I like to restart and try diff approaches/strategies to each campaign. N2m the one time where i accidentally got too powerful as the chosokabe be4 i was ready and had a group of 3 max armies (3 of my enemies allied up incl the shogunate) that took out my 3 individual max armies that i was using to conquer the map..and then my 5 vassals all turned against me and then 2 max armies landed on my island and killed my daimyo who was only bein defended by 4 groups of archers.


Or when i was chosokabe and lost 3 max armies in ships ... cause i was landing them all in diff provinces... all my generals gone and i was like "eff this i quit" and started over lol


BTW how do any of you get the blackship? The only time I killed it it was with 2 of my allies and all of our fleets grouped in 1 spot...and then my allie got control of it and used it to kill my fleet in the future -_-. I attacked it solo with 7-8 bow and 2-3 medium bunes and got roflstomped
unsmart
Profile Joined April 2009
United States322 Posts
March 27 2011 22:47 GMT
#410
On March 28 2011 07:25 mnofstl007 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 07:24 killanator wrote:
Teamliquid.net is first place in clan competition! keep it up woot!



how i get into this?


Join the Steam group, it's public so anyone can join. Then go to the clan page in game and join. I'm currently doing my best to bring us down, cause you know, I suck.

I love the Avatar battles so far. You get a bit of the Warhammer paint jobs, some RPG leveling up with your avatar and vet groups, and I'm still at the point where I can unlock more units. So it feels like I'm actually doing something in each battle. Though they really need to get rid of the siege units, they have no place and only invite camping :/


In my Oda campaign I made the mistake of taking Kyoto because I could. I didn't know everyone would turn against me and my vassals. And so I wasn't prepared for a three front war. I love Oda though, cheap and better peasant units are so awesome. You never have to stop warring to build up infrastructure, because your units are so cheap. And your cheap units can do well enough against samurai.
Butcherski
Profile Joined April 2010
Poland446 Posts
March 27 2011 23:31 GMT
#411
Why cant i get into the total war series ?? I've tried playing almost all of them and supposedly some of them were great games but its just seem kinda ... meh ?

I got the the advanced battle tutorial and it just seems so slow ... the units move soooo slowly and then minute i speed up the battle my general was dead when some enemies were hidden in the little village. All the units look and move the same with the distinction of one little icon on their banners and when i finally got into the battle it seemed so bleh ... whats the appeal here ? that my archers take 20 min to kill on regiment of melee units ? I know that the turn based portion of the game is good but whats the point in playing this without real time battles ? I can boot up Civ4 wich is infinitely better in that regard.

Can someone explain this game to me ?
"Well Tasteless, i once met a three-toed sloth with good marauder control " - Artosis
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
March 27 2011 23:47 GMT
#412
On March 26 2011 05:38 Patriot.dlk wrote:
I have two daughters that I can't marry. I have unmarried generals but when I mark a daughter it says: "marriage requires an eligible daughter"

I don't understand why? They are getting to 30+ in age


No incest...? See if they're the same family. If you've adopted your generals, they're considered your sons. My 17 year old daiymo adopted a 35 year old general as his son.
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
Inkcrow
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom215 Posts
March 27 2011 23:47 GMT
#413
Trying to do my part for team liquid but after i fight one battle it takes me literally hours to get a second battle unless i restart my computer, does anyone have a fix for this or is it just Creative Essembly's fault ?
We’re definitely going to hell,But we’ll have all the best... stories to tell
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
March 27 2011 23:49 GMT
#414
On March 28 2011 08:31 Butcherski wrote:
Why cant i get into the total war series ?? I've tried playing almost all of them and supposedly some of them were great games but its just seem kinda ... meh ?

I got the the advanced battle tutorial and it just seems so slow ... the units move soooo slowly and then minute i speed up the battle my general was dead when some enemies were hidden in the little village. All the units look and move the same with the distinction of one little icon on their banners and when i finally got into the battle it seemed so bleh ... whats the appeal here ? that my archers take 20 min to kill on regiment of melee units ? I know that the turn based portion of the game is good but whats the point in playing this without real time battles ? I can boot up Civ4 wich is infinitely better in that regard.

Can someone explain this game to me ?


The general isn't a fighting unit (for the most part). the appeal is the immerse campaign and how what you do early game affects you late game. Diplomacy, alliances, backstabs. All fun stuff
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
TimWeer
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands65 Posts
March 27 2011 23:49 GMT
#415
On March 28 2011 07:25 mnofstl007 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 07:24 killanator wrote:
Teamliquid.net is first place in clan competition! keep it up woot!



BTW how do any of you get the blackship? The only time I killed it it was with 2 of my allies and all of our fleets grouped in 1 spot...and then my allie got control of it and used it to kill my fleet in the future -_-. I attacked it solo with 7-8 bow and 2-3 medium bunes and got roflstomped



Try to engage when it almost leaves the map. Most of the time it's severly damaged from other attacks. I got it this way with a single medium bune and a single trade ship... it only had 1 cannon remaining. But now repaired it can take on an entire fleet and just roflstomps 1 ship per salvo :D
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
March 27 2011 23:49 GMT
#416
On March 28 2011 02:03 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 20:29 Fishball wrote:
I haven't played a Total War game prior to Shogun 2.
I just beat the game on easy last night, which was challenging enough for a first timer. Playing on normal this time and things are a lot smoother.
However, I'm realizing that I always get rolf-stomped if I rolf-stomped everyone too quickly. What I mean by that is if I just mass up a few armies, and takeover everything as quickly as possible up till realm divide, then everyone just declares war on me and I'm done for, as my legion of Ashigarus won't be able to hold off the endless waves of assaults.


Make sure to get as many generals as possible, having armies with no general fight and win can lead the possibility to promote a general.

Make sure to have only one general in each army, even if that general walks right next to another force. This way they all level up. It's crucial to get fast moment speed so you are flexible.

I have the same experience with everyone attacking me so I tried getting kyoto fast and that helped out. Everyone declared war on me but at least I had the + things from being shogun to help me out



Ah, I do have generals though.
To be more specific, I had 4 armies marching around, and my generals were all 4-6 stars. I was playing Date, short campaign on normal. Besides Kyoto and Miyagi, I held every province that I needed to win, and it was only 1663. The only reason I didn't take Miyagi yet, was because it belonged to be my one and only ally, and I was being nice... I guess I could have taken Kyoto if I focus all of my armies on it, but the main issue is just that my Ashigaru armies die quicker than I can replenish them when everyone starts to attack me, as my main training hubs are usually quite some distant away due to my extremely fast expansion. Basically the other clans would start invading me from multiple locations and I just cant really stop them due to the issues mentioned above.
I guess the only way to do it is just to take Miyagi early, then hold just enough before realm divide, macro out some more and take Kyoto in a flash. Should still be able to do it before 1570 I think.
靈魂交響曲
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
March 28 2011 00:00 GMT
#417
On March 28 2011 08:49 Fishball wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 02:03 Patriot.dlk wrote:
On March 27 2011 20:29 Fishball wrote:
I haven't played a Total War game prior to Shogun 2.
I just beat the game on easy last night, which was challenging enough for a first timer. Playing on normal this time and things are a lot smoother.
However, I'm realizing that I always get rolf-stomped if I rolf-stomped everyone too quickly. What I mean by that is if I just mass up a few armies, and takeover everything as quickly as possible up till realm divide, then everyone just declares war on me and I'm done for, as my legion of Ashigarus won't be able to hold off the endless waves of assaults.


Make sure to get as many generals as possible, having armies with no general fight and win can lead the possibility to promote a general.

Make sure to have only one general in each army, even if that general walks right next to another force. This way they all level up. It's crucial to get fast moment speed so you are flexible.

I have the same experience with everyone attacking me so I tried getting kyoto fast and that helped out. Everyone declared war on me but at least I had the + things from being shogun to help me out



Ah, I do have generals though.
To be more specific, I had 4 armies marching around, and my generals were all 4-6 stars. I was playing Date, short campaign on normal. Besides Kyoto and Miyagi, I held every province that I needed to win, and it was only 1663. The only reason I didn't take Miyagi yet, was because it belonged to be my one and only ally, and I was being nice... I guess I could have taken Kyoto if I focus all of my armies on it, but the main issue is just that my Ashigaru armies die quicker than I can replenish them when everyone starts to attack me, as my main training hubs are usually quite some distant away due to my extremely fast expansion. Basically the other clans would start invading me from multiple locations and I just cant really stop them due to the issues mentioned above.
I guess the only way to do it is just to take Miyagi early, then hold just enough before realm divide, macro out some more and take Kyoto in a flash. Should still be able to do it before 1570 I think.


You have to hold kyoto for 1 year to be claimed the New Shogun. So you'll have to do it before 1569 or something.
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
March 28 2011 01:21 GMT
#418
On March 28 2011 09:00 nitdkim wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2011 08:49 Fishball wrote:
On March 28 2011 02:03 Patriot.dlk wrote:
On March 27 2011 20:29 Fishball wrote:
I haven't played a Total War game prior to Shogun 2.
I just beat the game on easy last night, which was challenging enough for a first timer. Playing on normal this time and things are a lot smoother.
However, I'm realizing that I always get rolf-stomped if I rolf-stomped everyone too quickly. What I mean by that is if I just mass up a few armies, and takeover everything as quickly as possible up till realm divide, then everyone just declares war on me and I'm done for, as my legion of Ashigarus won't be able to hold off the endless waves of assaults.


Make sure to get as many generals as possible, having armies with no general fight and win can lead the possibility to promote a general.

Make sure to have only one general in each army, even if that general walks right next to another force. This way they all level up. It's crucial to get fast moment speed so you are flexible.

I have the same experience with everyone attacking me so I tried getting kyoto fast and that helped out. Everyone declared war on me but at least I had the + things from being shogun to help me out



Ah, I do have generals though.
To be more specific, I had 4 armies marching around, and my generals were all 4-6 stars. I was playing Date, short campaign on normal. Besides Kyoto and Miyagi, I held every province that I needed to win, and it was only 1663. The only reason I didn't take Miyagi yet, was because it belonged to be my one and only ally, and I was being nice... I guess I could have taken Kyoto if I focus all of my armies on it, but the main issue is just that my Ashigaru armies die quicker than I can replenish them when everyone starts to attack me, as my main training hubs are usually quite some distant away due to my extremely fast expansion. Basically the other clans would start invading me from multiple locations and I just cant really stop them due to the issues mentioned above.
I guess the only way to do it is just to take Miyagi early, then hold just enough before realm divide, macro out some more and take Kyoto in a flash. Should still be able to do it before 1570 I think.


You have to hold kyoto for 1 year to be claimed the New Shogun. So you'll have to do it before 1569 or something.


Yeah I know. Short campaign is before 1580, long is 1600. I was just listing the year as an indicator to how fast I'm rushing with those Ashigarus.
靈魂交響曲
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
March 28 2011 01:22 GMT
#419
SHAMEFUL DISPLAY MY LORD!
DarkwindHK
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong343 Posts
March 30 2011 08:45 GMT
#420
the cannons in this game show me what is the real IMBA. SC2 is so balanced compare with that.
Dont be too humble, you are not that great.
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 187
ProTech153
UpATreeSC 121
BRAT_OK 53
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3737
Bisu 1757
Soulkey 1287
EffOrt 773
Mini 557
Larva 347
Horang2 272
ZerO 262
actioN 174
ggaemo 163
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 132
Mind 82
hero 69
Sharp 63
Shinee 60
Sea.KH 59
sorry 54
Snow 49
Hyun 41
Barracks 38
Bale 31
Trap 29
Terrorterran 19
ToSsGirL 18
NaDa 16
Rock 15
scan(afreeca) 14
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5741
Dendi1279
XaKoH 434
420jenkins342
League of Legends
Reynor62
Counter-Strike
fl0m3477
x6flipin1710
pashabiceps740
Fnx 679
edward31
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes389
Liquid`Hasu102
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1474
hiko864
FrodaN657
XBOCT241
Livibee187
TKL 105
QueenE95
C9.Mang082
Mew2King40
Grubby39
ZerO(Twitch)24
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 58
• Reevou 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 42
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV699
League of Legends
• Nemesis3920
• TFBlade699
Other Games
• Shiphtur489
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 5m
Patches Events
23h 5m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.