• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:17
CEST 16:17
KST 23:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7398 users

Shogun: Total War 2 - Page 20

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 28 Next All
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
March 25 2011 20:18 GMT
#381
On March 26 2011 04:24 bosnak wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 26 2011 04:22 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 01:14 andrewlt wrote:
I've been having problems with formations. I form my entire army into a group and give them a formation. If I want them to move forward, I click something in front of me. However, if I don't click a spot that is right in front of the center of my army, the game makes my formation turn. Like if I click a forward spot a little bit right of center, the left side of my formation marches forward more than the right side.


these hotkeys will help you a lot:

' forward
/ backwards
L turn left
; turn right

just use them while a unit (or group of them) is selected

also, hold space bar down to highlight the location any unit will be after marching

Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 04:01 MrHoon wrote:
I'm a huge Mount and Blade/Civ fan, but I've never played Total War

Will this game suit my tastes? Can't dl demo or play games till tuesday so I can't really try it out ;-;


i've played both of those games and enjoyed them and love total war games (have played all of them since rome except napoleon)

I think anyone who calls them self a strategy gamer would enjoy this game, but in the end it comes down to personal taste
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +
+ Show Spoiler +



DO you know the first person command?


yes, delete button (del) will put you in first person for that unit

and "n" is kinda like a "zoom in" button for a screenshot of the battlefield
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
March 25 2011 20:21 GMT
#382
On March 26 2011 04:22 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 01:14 andrewlt wrote:
I've been having problems with formations. I form my entire army into a group and give them a formation. If I want them to move forward, I click something in front of me. However, if I don't click a spot that is right in front of the center of my army, the game makes my formation turn. Like if I click a forward spot a little bit right of center, the left side of my formation marches forward more than the right side.


these hotkeys will help you a lot:

' forward
/ backwards
L turn left
; turn right

just use them while a unit (or group of them) is selected

also, hold space bar down to highlight the location any unit will be after marching

Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 04:01 MrHoon wrote:
I'm a huge Mount and Blade/Civ fan, but I've never played Total War

Will this game suit my tastes? Can't dl demo or play games till tuesday so I can't really try it out ;-;


i've played both of those games and enjoyed them and love total war games (have played all of them since rome except napoleon)

I think anyone who calls them self a strategy gamer would enjoy this game, but in the end it comes down to personal taste



Oh, thanks. I'm actually using those buttons, just not the forward and backwards ones. Didn't think of it.

Something I found out early on is that in previous games, if you asked a group of units to move, they'll attempt to move while keeping in formation. If you asked a group in STW2 to move, they'll attempt to move in the formation they had when you initially grouped them.
Quesa
Profile Joined November 2010
United States304 Posts
March 25 2011 20:31 GMT
#383
On March 26 2011 01:14 andrewlt wrote:
I've been having problems with formations. I form my entire army into a group and give them a formation. If I want them to move forward, I click something in front of me. However, if I don't click a spot that is right in front of the center of my army, the game makes my formation turn. Like if I click a forward spot a little bit right of center, the left side of my formation marches forward more than the right side.


If you are moving ungrouped units, when you hold down right click on the left-most side of where you want your formation to move to and drag the mouse out to the right to set the number of rows and spacing.

When they're (all) grouped, doing that will not change the spacing or number of rows, dragging out to the right will simply alter where they are facing. They'll march in lockstep. If I'm controlling a large group of units I never click on an enemy unit, I set marching orders for past the unit, and then charge with individual units within the group when they're where I want them as the group formation keeps moving..
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Kanin
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
75 Posts
March 25 2011 20:37 GMT
#384
My mousewheel died a while ago and it put me off getting it. Can you play it without a mousewheel? From what I've seen there's lots of zooming in and out.
*squeak* ^-^
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 25 2011 20:38 GMT
#385
I have two daughters that I can't marry. I have unmarried generals but when I mark a daughter it says: "marriage requires an eligible daughter"

I don't understand why? They are getting to 30+ in age
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
March 25 2011 20:58 GMT
#386
I think you can only marry your generals and children to people outside of your own clan through the diplomacy screen
krazymunky
Profile Joined June 2008
United States727 Posts
March 25 2011 21:02 GMT
#387
On March 26 2011 05:58 floor exercise wrote:
I think you can only marry your generals and children to people outside of your own clan through the diplomacy screen


no you can have marriages between your generals and daughters. i think theres a certain age that once passed daughters cannot be married
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 25 2011 21:11 GMT
#388
On March 26 2011 06:02 krazymunky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 05:58 floor exercise wrote:
I think you can only marry your generals and children to people outside of your own clan through the diplomacy screen


no you can have marriages between your generals and daughters. i think theres a certain age that once passed daughters cannot be married


This would be weird since I've been trying to marry them since they were age <20 (this is when I discovered that I had clan management to think about)

Oh well could be worse
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
March 25 2011 21:16 GMT
#389
On March 26 2011 06:02 krazymunky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 05:58 floor exercise wrote:
I think you can only marry your generals and children to people outside of your own clan through the diplomacy screen


no you can have marriages between your generals and daughters. i think theres a certain age that once passed daughters cannot be married

I guess it adds to their loyalty or something? I wish I had more kids to whore out

Some things just seem buggy. On my Uesugi campaign I have a 20 year old Daiymo with a 39 year old son. I didn't adopt him, he has been my son since the very beginning of the game. I only noticed like 30 turns in because he got pissed when I made my real son my heir.
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9593 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-26 09:46:56
March 26 2011 09:45 GMT
#390
K, my thoughts about S2TW so far:
The good:
  • Archers are useful for once. Probably the first time I carry more than 2 units of them when I'm not playing a faction that focuses on them or gets bonuses for them. They might be even slightly overpowered.
  • Castle sieges are a lot more fun than they were in the previous games.
  • The game plays very dynamically. Each new campaign, I see different power houses.
  • I personally like how every playable faction starts with 1/2 provinces only. Personal preference of small empires for me.


The bad:
  • I feel like the tech tree is very limited. You basically have to go the Chi route just to get improved farms so your empire won't riot when it's over 10 provinces. But then you need army tech for decent units to fight...
  • Income is very small. Taxes are hard to manage. The population seems very unflexible about them and riots quickly if you put them on high taxes.
  • In the previous games lower taxes = faster city growth. What do lower taxes give you now, since upgrading castles and unit producing structures takes tech not population?
  • Trade seems to be overpowered. Incidentally computer trade-blocks-alliances are fucking uncrushable.
  • Once I played Shimazu I controlled the western isle + Chosokabe isles, and Date/Takeda/Triforce guys had the other half between them. They attacked the trade-alliance guys and got fucking crushed by the trade-alliance block, which I find is retarded. The major clans should have a bit bigger advantage over the lesser clans.
  • Trade/Sea control is pivotal for domination. A bit sad.
  • The computer loves his ashigaru. Even when samurai are available for recruitment.
  • The comp cheats like hell. Gets free units out of sight, and can over the course of 1 turn a 0 exp army into a full 3-4 ranked army which is retarded beyond everything I've seen.


The ugly:
  • The campaign map is cramped like hell. All the terrain and mountains make you take the same routes every time. The AI only seems smarter, but thats only because it has to defend 1 path.
  • Almost no differences between clans, aside from banners and colors.
  • No units diversity. Everyone uses the same units.
  • I would like a bigger unit roster, but I guess it's fine.


Overall, it's good. Aside from the income issues and trade-block-alliances of doom, the game seems fine.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
randombum
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2378 Posts
March 26 2011 10:06 GMT
#391
Won my first campaign as the chokugasas? The one's with archer bonus's today. I had 4 armies out and about conquering the mainland mainly pushing my way into kyoto. Finally conquer it (holy crap that stack is strong) and realize I have to hold it for four turns to win.

O well, shouldn't be a big deal since my armies should be capable of taking anything they throw at me unless... they land a full stack of units on my unprotected starting island. For some odd reason the AI doesn't decide to take the closest province but marches straight for my capital. I have time to build a samurai archer and a regular archer while trying to ship over one of my own stacks. When the attack comes I had 2 yuri ashi, the 2 bow ashi a bow samurai and the retainers total.

I'm down to under a hundred men all willing to fight to the death when I manage to get the last unit scaling my innermost walls to retreat to regroup. For some reason once repelled the AI never attacks again even though he has over 10x my units. So I sat for 45minutes while time whittled away and manage to abuse an AI for a win. Time to try another faction and not abuse AI to win (although I probably could've won anyways)
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 26 2011 22:18 GMT
#392
I found it pretty easy to become rich after getting a few provinces but it took some time and I had to sit on a big food surplus + low tax to get good growth. Agents are very good and in my next play through I will not use any points towards army until I have maxed out my agents, farms and many other of the chi.

My biggest concern besides all the bugs was that on hard in the co-op if played with mass agent style and very conservative play it was to easy. Once I advanced with my armies most provinces had no military presence and I had to few epic battles imo.

Going to play with Oda on hard in single player next hoping for more epicness. My strategy will be to play a very economic game with low tax, low tech and big food surplus using agents and get big with peasant armies


killanator
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States549 Posts
March 26 2011 22:24 GMT
#393
Teamliquid.net is first place in clan competition! keep it up woot!
DJ, put it back on!
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
March 26 2011 22:44 GMT
#394
On March 26 2011 18:45 Latham wrote:
The bad:
  • I feel like the tech tree is very limited. You basically have to go the Chi route just to get improved farms so your empire won't riot when it's over 10 provinces. But then you need army tech for decent units to fight...
  • Income is very small. Taxes are hard to manage. The population seems very unflexible about them and riots quickly if you put them on high taxes.

Those are actually good points because you really have to choose - army or tech and you also need to balance your army (don't just create elite stacks).

My biggest issue: BUGS, especially the end turn bug in mp campaigns. Ruined already 2 mp campaigns where we were close to winnig it (Oda+Takeda / Shimazu+Chosokabe). This really sucks and you can't do anything bout it -_-
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 27 2011 10:15 GMT
#395
On March 27 2011 07:44 dezi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 18:45 Latham wrote:
The bad:
  • I feel like the tech tree is very limited. You basically have to go the Chi route just to get improved farms so your empire won't riot when it's over 10 provinces. But then you need army tech for decent units to fight...
  • Income is very small. Taxes are hard to manage. The population seems very unflexible about them and riots quickly if you put them on high taxes.

Those are actually good points because you really have to choose - army or tech and you also need to balance your army (don't just create elite stacks).

My biggest issue: BUGS, especially the end turn bug in mp campaigns. Ruined already 2 mp campaigns where we were close to winnig it (Oda+Takeda / Shimazu+Chosokabe). This really sucks and you can't do anything bout it -_-


We had all kinds of bugs. Gotta have many saves and you got to exchange saves from host to the other person.

I also disagree with the tech tree being limited in a bad way. To me chi is kinda op so it's limited in that way maybe
Nazarid
Profile Joined February 2010
United States445 Posts
March 27 2011 10:36 GMT
#396
On March 26 2011 06:02 krazymunky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 26 2011 05:58 floor exercise wrote:
I think you can only marry your generals and children to people outside of your own clan through the diplomacy screen


no you can have marriages between your generals and daughters. i think theres a certain age that once passed daughters cannot be married


i dont know if there is a max age, but i married a 43 yr old daughter(no previous marriage) to my 15 yr old general. i know baller right/.
Randomize the world, and Life shall be given.
Fishball
Profile Joined December 2005
Canada4788 Posts
March 27 2011 11:29 GMT
#397
I haven't played a Total War game prior to Shogun 2.
I just beat the game on easy last night, which was challenging enough for a first timer. Playing on normal this time and things are a lot smoother.
However, I'm realizing that I always get rolf-stomped if I rolf-stomped everyone too quickly. What I mean by that is if I just mass up a few armies, and takeover everything as quickly as possible up till realm divide, then everyone just declares war on me and I'm done for, as my legion of Ashigarus won't be able to hold off the endless waves of assaults.
靈魂交響曲
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
March 27 2011 14:29 GMT
#398
Which parts of the chi tree is op and how do you guys level up your agents?
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 27 2011 16:57 GMT
#399
On March 27 2011 23:29 Advocado wrote:
Which parts of the chi tree is op and how do you guys level up your agents?


I level them up by never having them idle, always with an army or a settlement. Then you try to find armies / characters you have a good chance against and you try some stuff.

my favorite agent is the monk because the best chi masteries to get first is zen and down the zen roads for my style at least.

This opens up for monks, getting monks means you have temples and those give + % to how fast you learn chi. So whenever you got the money for upgrading all your temples to the next level you want the the required chi art to be just finished imo.

Tea cermony is really good because it helps you set up trade etc. Scholarship helps out a lot as well when you have a few monks on the field and using them is even free.

Then basically every Bushido or Chi art is good, it's just a good idea to go down paths that gives speed to the upgrade of future arts. Starting out getting bushido is not very good imo. I like to have like 5+ generals giving max +% to bushido before.

Btw I just finished a single player campaign with Oda on hard and I didnt upgrade any forts, only recruited ashigaru, took Kyoto very early and used that for my almost all recruits to get extra XP.

Sumo Tournament, being shogun and monks enabled me to never stay behind in a captured settlement I could just explode in all directions and monks are helful for this as well because they can give + % to campaign movement speed. I waited a long time to put skills on my generals towards faster bushido to favor some + to my armies instead. When my generals started to get a few starts I eventually got the poet skill so I could get defence, attack, way of spear, way of bow pretty fast making my ashigaru armies that much better
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
March 27 2011 17:03 GMT
#400
On March 27 2011 20:29 Fishball wrote:
I haven't played a Total War game prior to Shogun 2.
I just beat the game on easy last night, which was challenging enough for a first timer. Playing on normal this time and things are a lot smoother.
However, I'm realizing that I always get rolf-stomped if I rolf-stomped everyone too quickly. What I mean by that is if I just mass up a few armies, and takeover everything as quickly as possible up till realm divide, then everyone just declares war on me and I'm done for, as my legion of Ashigarus won't be able to hold off the endless waves of assaults.


Make sure to get as many generals as possible, having armies with no general fight and win can lead the possibility to promote a general.

Make sure to have only one general in each army, even if that general walks right next to another force. This way they all level up. It's crucial to get fast moment speed so you are flexible.

I have the same experience with everyone attacking me so I tried getting kyoto fast and that helped out. Everyone declared war on me but at least I had the + things from being shogun to help me out

Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1123
RotterdaM632
SteadfastSC296
TKL 229
Rex134
CosmosSc2 39
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 632
SteadfastSC 296
TKL 229
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 39
ProTech33
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42141
Calm 2957
Shuttle 2458
Jaedong 1621
Horang2 817
actioN 572
Soma 508
Mini 449
Soulkey 444
Rush 391
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 347
Stork 345
ZerO 262
BeSt 244
Larva 230
Snow 187
Mong 131
firebathero 124
hero 115
Zeus 96
Mind 84
910 71
Free 64
Hyun 47
Yoon 44
sorry 43
Shine 42
Sharp 42
Shinee 36
PianO 33
Pusan 32
JYJ 30
ToSsGirL 29
Aegong 25
Sexy 25
Bale 23
HiyA 22
Terrorterran 20
Hm[arnc] 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Rock 12
Killer 12
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
Gorgc5476
Dendi1284
Counter-Strike
fl0m2242
Fnx 589
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King169
ChuDatz18
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko371
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko702
crisheroes508
B2W.Neo306
DeMusliM188
Khaldor188
Livibee183
Pyrionflax174
Liquid`VortiX147
Liquid`RaSZi111
dupreeh72
Trikslyr69
QueenE59
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1400
Other Games
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH231
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2112
• Jankos1586
• TFBlade593
• Noizen108
Other Games
• Shiphtur694
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 43m
The PondCast
19h 43m
INu's Battles
20h 43m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.