• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:17
CEST 16:17
KST 23:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7396 users

Shogun: Total War 2 - Page 18

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 28 Next All
spicykorean
Profile Joined February 2011
United States7 Posts
March 23 2011 23:29 GMT
#341
On March 24 2011 08:10 mordk wrote:
I just got Shogun 2 but I can't get it to work. As soon as I fire it up, before the game even loads, I get a BSOD and my PC resets. I have a PC good enough to run the game. From what I've read up to now it's a hardware issue which some people have fixed by updating drivers. I've already updated video drivers and now I'm doing the same with sound drivers. Next step would be BIOS, however, that scares me like hell hahahah, I'm a real noob at this.

My MB is a MS-7255 P4M9002-L by MSI. How do I update the BIOS??


I actually saw posts with the opposite recommendation.
Esp. for video, some people have suggested downgrading the driver to an older version.
Of course this all depends on your system setup.
do or do not. there is no try.
stfn
Profile Joined December 2010
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-23 23:51:10
March 23 2011 23:49 GMT
#342
Another trick is to take advantage of the negotiations early on to maximize your later macro. I convinced a few factions to let me bang their daughter for a few hundred gold.

After that they were pretty susceptible to my charm at Very Friendly. So I opened my borders to them for 20 turns for a few more hundred on turn 1. Made about 1.5k off 3 factions and purchased all important upgrades. (Don't get roads early on because it allows enemy troops to march to your castle much faster.) About 20 turns later, they renew this contract for 3-4k.

Lots of haters hate and declare war, so just defend that shit by crushing their army. Make sure you exterminate the stragglers. After your province is clear from outside invaders, offer a peace treaty, trade agreement, and charge them.

Every new year I look for new princesses to bang. When my neighbors get conquered, I offer new contracts to allow military into my base for some cash money. $_$

This was done on Legendary.
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 23 2011 23:54 GMT
#343
Yeah this game sucks for sure, trying to do battles in real time now. Thing is my bowmen wont fucking work, half of them turn the wrong way mid battle and just stare into the horizon. The rest im lucky if I get one volley off before the whole enemy is at my archers. Must be the slowest reloaders ever, they fire once and it takes like 2-3 hours before they reload.

Also, you can not wait for the enemy to attack you? I positioned my archers in a great line formation to wait until the enemy attacked me. Thing is though the enemy never attacked, didnt move a fucking muscle, was on 3x and then the battle ended with timelimit with 0 casualties for neither side.
Graphics
stfn
Profile Joined December 2010
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 00:04:38
March 24 2011 00:02 GMT
#344
On March 24 2011 08:54 keit wrote:
Yeah this game sucks for sure, trying to do battles in real time now. Thing is my bowmen wont fucking work, half of them turn the wrong way mid battle and just stare into the horizon. The rest im lucky if I get one volley off before the whole enemy is at my archers. Must be the slowest reloaders ever, they fire once and it takes like 2-3 hours before they reload.

Also, you can not wait for the enemy to attack you? I positioned my archers in a great line formation to wait until the enemy attacked me. Thing is though the enemy never attacked, didnt move a fucking muscle, was on 3x and then the battle ended with timelimit with 0 casualties for neither side.


If you initiated combat, they would be defending. Archers reload pretty fast, you probably weren't in range. you can right click and drag to set up your archers in a suitable formation.

A common trick to engagement is baiting the enemy to charge into your archer/spearman line. Throw out some cannon fodder ashigaru out there and lure their troops in and pounce. Keep troops hidden in grass and have exposed archers and their general will charge. Catch their cavalry/general before they can retreat. If you position your units very favorably they will charge I notice. Also if the AI believes it has an overwhelming force, it will charge. so you can split up your main for with a few strike squads.
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 24 2011 00:05 GMT
#345
Lol I know how to setup formations, completed all battle tutorials without hassle.

Thing is tho I got like a 8 stack archer and 2 ashigaru army. shouldnt my fucking archers mow down every unit before they even get to battle? No, they just fucking get run over like bitches.
Graphics
stfn
Profile Joined December 2010
United States53 Posts
March 24 2011 00:22 GMT
#346
They aren't marines. They're more like thors and Ashigaru Spearmen are like zerglings.
Macabre
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1262 Posts
March 24 2011 00:36 GMT
#347
On March 24 2011 09:05 keit wrote:
Lol I know how to setup formations, completed all battle tutorials without hassle.

Thing is tho I got like a 8 stack archer and 2 ashigaru army. shouldnt my fucking archers mow down every unit before they even get to battle? No, they just fucking get run over like bitches.


You clearly just don't enjoy the game. Eight groups of archers may mow down certain unit groups, but not heavily armored troops. Why not go for a more balanced army?
Those who know how to think need no teachers. Tasteless - I think I'll take my shirt off and let my muscles do the casting
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 24 2011 00:47 GMT
#348
On March 24 2011 09:36 Macabre wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:05 keit wrote:
Lol I know how to setup formations, completed all battle tutorials without hassle.

Thing is tho I got like a 8 stack archer and 2 ashigaru army. shouldnt my fucking archers mow down every unit before they even get to battle? No, they just fucking get run over like bitches.


You clearly just don't enjoy the game. Eight groups of archers may mow down certain unit groups, but not heavily armored troops. Why not go for a more balanced army?


Cause it was my 2nd turn in my newly started campaign lol.

My point was just that I heard from several sources that archers were so OP that every battle was autowin if you massed them.
Graphics
curreh
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia265 Posts
March 24 2011 00:49 GMT
#349
On March 24 2011 08:49 stfn wrote:
Another trick is to take advantage of the negotiations early on to maximize your later macro. I convinced a few factions to let me bang their daughter for a few hundred gold.

After that they were pretty susceptible to my charm at Very Friendly. So I opened my borders to them for 20 turns for a few more hundred on turn 1. Made about 1.5k off 3 factions and purchased all important upgrades. (Don't get roads early on because it allows enemy troops to march to your castle much faster.) About 20 turns later, they renew this contract for 3-4k.

Lots of haters hate and declare war, so just defend that shit by crushing their army. Make sure you exterminate the stragglers. After your province is clear from outside invaders, offer a peace treaty, trade agreement, and charge them.

Every new year I look for new princesses to bang. When my neighbors get conquered, I offer new contracts to allow military into my base for some cash money. $_$

This was done on Legendary.


ahaha nicely put, banging other faction's daughters for gold : P
I think I need to pay more attention to the diplomacy, atm all I'm trying to do is get people to trade with me, and nobody will T_T they're all indifferent to me and for some reason will not trade, and I'm holding one of the naval trade routes as well, any idea what it could be?

I got the hattori to trade with me and we had an alliance but they just betrayed me -.- They're the strongest clan in my game atm with like 11 provinces against my 6 so I'm in trouble now ahaha

Is your daimyo meant to stay at your capital and work on the family? lol because I'm getting no children as I'm using him as my main general
SlayerS Hwaiting! : )
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 24 2011 00:51 GMT
#350
Its pretty funny though to nearly wipe out clans until they demand a peace treaty. Since when they offer it they are so desparate they will offer you all their gold if you demand it. So simply demand their whole treasury and then declare war on them and slaughter them. Ezpz money and one less clan to deal with.
Graphics
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 01:04:50
March 24 2011 00:57 GMT
#351
On March 24 2011 08:54 keit wrote:
Yeah this game sucks for sure, trying to do battles in real time now. Thing is my bowmen wont fucking work, half of them turn the wrong way mid battle and just stare into the horizon. The rest im lucky if I get one volley off before the whole enemy is at my archers. Must be the slowest reloaders ever, they fire once and it takes like 2-3 hours before they reload.

Also, you can not wait for the enemy to attack you? I positioned my archers in a great line formation to wait until the enemy attacked me. Thing is though the enemy never attacked, didnt move a fucking muscle, was on 3x and then the battle ended with timelimit with 0 casualties for neither side.


just because you don't know how to control your units doesn't mean the game sucks

the UI is fairly simple and easy to learn and you can easy make them turn any direction with the press of a button so when your archers are facing the wrong way, that isn't them not working it's you not positioning them correctly. you can always right-click drag any unit (or group of units) to create their formation or use some of these hotkeys

' forward
/ backwards
; turn right
l turn left

also, it's normal to only get about 2 volleys off if an infantry charges straight at your line. once you get them off, retreat your archers behind your infantry (common tactic) so they can continue to be of use rather than have them sit in melee and get charged by infantry (or cavalry) and routed

and if you choose to start a battle on the campaign map, the enemy won't charge you unless they have the advantage. if you happened to start a battle, you have the burden of being on the offense.

if they started a battle, they will 99.99% of the time be the ones to attack (also, you should set battle time limit to 20 minutes rather than one hour, you'll almost never need more than 20 minutes in a 1v1)

one thing you can do even if you do go on the offense though (if you have ranged superiority) is advance your entire army within archer range and just pelt on them, they'll eventually launch a full charge even if you were the one to initiate the battle on the campaign map (which makes sense, who wants to just sit there and get pounded by hundreds of arrows?)
DarkwindHK
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Hong Kong343 Posts
March 24 2011 05:52 GMT
#352
On March 24 2011 08:10 mordk wrote:
I just got Shogun 2 but I can't get it to work. As soon as I fire it up, before the game even loads, I get a BSOD and my PC resets. I have a PC good enough to run the game. From what I've read up to now it's a hardware issue which some people have fixed by updating drivers. I've already updated video drivers and now I'm doing the same with sound drivers. Next step would be BIOS, however, that scares me like hell hahahah, I'm a real noob at this.

My MB is a MS-7255 P4M9002-L by MSI. How do I update the BIOS??


I have the same problem.... the only "method" I use is to do it 10 times... once in a while I can get into the game without the auto reboot.

I guess we have to reinstall window if we really want to solve this.
Dont be too humble, you are not that great.
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
March 24 2011 06:16 GMT
#353
On March 24 2011 09:51 keit wrote:
Its pretty funny though to nearly wipe out clans until they demand a peace treaty. Since when they offer it they are so desparate they will offer you all their gold if you demand it. So simply demand their whole treasury and then declare war on them and slaughter them. Ezpz money and one less clan to deal with.


Nice, I'm going to do this.

I bought Shogun 2 yesterday and I am very, very happy with the purchase.
KTY
nitdkim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1264 Posts
March 24 2011 06:34 GMT
#354
On March 24 2011 15:16 Xxio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 09:51 keit wrote:
Its pretty funny though to nearly wipe out clans until they demand a peace treaty. Since when they offer it they are so desparate they will offer you all their gold if you demand it. So simply demand their whole treasury and then declare war on them and slaughter them. Ezpz money and one less clan to deal with.


Nice, I'm going to do this.

I bought Shogun 2 yesterday and I am very, very happy with the purchase.


don't do it... you get really bad rep and nobody will ally you or trade with you. You will need to keep vassals in later stages of the game to trade with them and having a daimyo with great honor helps in preventing them from revolting.
PM me if you want random korean images translated.
meiyo
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway81 Posts
March 24 2011 06:42 GMT
#355
Been playing some of the multiplayer co-op campaign with a friend of mine.
All i can say is that CA have done a great job with this mode, it is like playing the singleplayer campaign but 10x better
Randomtivity
Profile Joined February 2011
2 Posts
March 24 2011 07:01 GMT
#356
On March 24 2011 08:49 stfn wrote:
Another trick is to take advantage of the negotiations early on to maximize your later macro. I convinced a few factions to let me bang their daughter for a few hundred gold.

After that they were pretty susceptible to my charm at Very Friendly. So I opened my borders to them for 20 turns for a few more hundred on turn 1. Made about 1.5k off 3 factions and purchased all important upgrades. (Don't get roads early on because it allows enemy troops to march to your castle much faster.) About 20 turns later, they renew this contract for 3-4k.

Lots of haters hate and declare war, so just defend that shit by crushing their army. Make sure you exterminate the stragglers. After your province is clear from outside invaders, offer a peace treaty, trade agreement, and charge them.

Every new year I look for new princesses to bang. When my neighbors get conquered, I offer new contracts to allow military into my base for some cash money. $_$

This was done on Legendary.



The military access AI is the most exploitable part of the game, feels like cheating. The AI values military access into your lands so obscenely high that you can get anything you want out of them, making it trivial to exploit it for huge amounts of money in the early game.

Or, shatter any alliances at the start by having the AI team up on each other while you sweep up. No cost to yourself other than not being able to turn your starting province into BGH through the mass selling of military access. Hopefully they patch it to be less ludicrously desirable to the AI, turns diplomacy/economy into a joke.
Lucumo
Profile Joined January 2010
6850 Posts
March 24 2011 09:22 GMT
#357
Just saw the ninja failure videos of Shogun 2 and god, they suck. Why would they screw them up this much despite them being one of the best parts of the original Shogun
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 24 2011 13:43 GMT
#358
On March 24 2011 18:22 Lucumo wrote:
Just saw the ninja failure videos of Shogun 2 and god, they suck. Why would they screw them up this much despite them being one of the best parts of the original Shogun


Well they could've hired a decent CGI team for one, not something that looks like what a college student can do in his spare time lol.
Graphics
Lucumo
Profile Joined January 2010
6850 Posts
March 24 2011 23:40 GMT
#359
On March 24 2011 22:43 keit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 18:22 Lucumo wrote:
Just saw the ninja failure videos of Shogun 2 and god, they suck. Why would they screw them up this much despite them being one of the best parts of the original Shogun


Well they could've hired a decent CGI team for one, not something that looks like what a college student can do in his spare time lol.

No, I don't mean that. I'm talking about the style. Why did they make the ninja seem like a complete retard when he fails? Honestly -.- And also, where is the blood?
keit
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
1584 Posts
March 25 2011 00:19 GMT
#360
On March 25 2011 08:40 Lucumo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 22:43 keit wrote:
On March 24 2011 18:22 Lucumo wrote:
Just saw the ninja failure videos of Shogun 2 and god, they suck. Why would they screw them up this much despite them being one of the best parts of the original Shogun


Well they could've hired a decent CGI team for one, not something that looks like what a college student can do in his spare time lol.

No, I don't mean that. I'm talking about the style. Why did they make the ninja seem like a complete retard when he fails? Honestly -.- And also, where is the blood?


Your nostalgia goggles are foggy.

The old assassination videos are just as cheesy.

The CGI however, is mentioned in reviews as being extremely terrible so if you don't notice it you can't have kept up on the progress in the recent years, so maybe you'll need to get back under your bridge.
Graphics
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1123
RotterdaM632
SteadfastSC296
TKL 229
Rex134
CosmosSc2 39
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 632
SteadfastSC 296
TKL 229
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 39
ProTech33
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42141
Calm 2957
Shuttle 2458
Jaedong 1621
Horang2 817
actioN 572
Soma 508
Mini 449
Soulkey 444
Rush 391
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 347
Stork 345
ZerO 262
BeSt 244
Larva 230
Snow 187
Mong 131
firebathero 124
hero 115
Zeus 96
Mind 84
910 71
Free 64
Hyun 47
Yoon 44
sorry 43
Shine 42
Sharp 42
Shinee 36
PianO 33
Pusan 32
JYJ 30
ToSsGirL 29
Aegong 25
Sexy 25
Bale 23
HiyA 22
Terrorterran 20
Hm[arnc] 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Rock 12
Killer 12
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
Gorgc5476
Dendi1284
Counter-Strike
fl0m2242
Fnx 589
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King169
ChuDatz18
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko371
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko702
crisheroes508
B2W.Neo306
DeMusliM188
Khaldor188
Livibee183
Pyrionflax174
Liquid`VortiX147
Liquid`RaSZi111
dupreeh72
Trikslyr69
QueenE59
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1400
Other Games
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH231
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2112
• Jankos1586
• TFBlade593
• Noizen108
Other Games
• Shiphtur694
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 43m
The PondCast
19h 43m
INu's Battles
20h 43m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.