• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:52
CEST 22:52
KST 05:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8089 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 663

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 661 662 663 664 665 Next
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22627 Posts
November 25 2018 18:14 GMT
#13241
On November 26 2018 03:07 HiIamBrett wrote:
After my games yesterday I'm convinced the draw engine is trying to do something instead of being random. Four games in a row I used mulligan because of 2 land and had just 1 land in the next hand with a deck running 22 land. I don't know what the odds of that are but it seems that it should be nearly impossible.

I've played real mtg for about 16 years and have never had so many consistent issues.
You play more online games of magic then you do paper. Therefor you 'think' you perceive trends you don't see when playing paper.

There is a chance there is something wrong with Arena's draw engine but the more logical reason is that its all in your head.
Also chances can be low but when you consider the amount of games played every day online a tiny chance happens pretty regularly.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
HiIamBrett
Profile Joined August 2013
56 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-11-25 18:41:55
November 25 2018 18:34 GMT
#13242
You play more online games of magic then you do paper. Therefor you 'think' you perceive trends you don't see when playing paper.

There is a chance there is something wrong with Arena's draw engine but the more logical reason is that its all in your head.
Also chances can be low but when you consider the amount of games played every day online a tiny chance happens pretty regularly.


It might be confirmation bias. The game was just cruel yesterday to the point that it was breaking my spirit just trying to get a couple wins.

It's that it happened 4 in a row that bothers me. After that I decided to screenshot my next draws if I had 2 or less cards. Look at this masterpiece. I have just 1 dusk legion dreadnaught in the deck btw so the first/second hands are real winners.

https://imgur.com/a/Hlwoyfb

As a side note that deck has only 6 swamps in it lol.

acie
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States247 Posts
November 25 2018 20:59 GMT
#13243
dont think it's confirmation bias, a lot of people have noticed weird stuff
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
November 25 2018 21:14 GMT
#13244
Apparently on the forums they noticed it seemed to be working as intended, out of like 25k test games or something. but the amount of games ive either drawn all lands for 10 turns or drew nothing and had to discard is shocking. ive basically gave up on mulling at this point and just keep my starter hand
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
November 25 2018 22:46 GMT
#13245
Basically we're finding out how much people cheat in paper Magic.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Lexender
Profile Joined September 2013
Mexico2663 Posts
November 26 2018 00:39 GMT
#13246
On November 26 2018 07:46 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Basically we're finding out how much people cheat in paper Magic.


If anything this shows how bad the only really bad thing about the design of Magic is, the mana system will always be Magic biggest flaw and why other card games have moved away from it.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8708 Posts
November 26 2018 00:59 GMT
#13247
On November 26 2018 07:46 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Basically we're finding out how much people cheat in paper Magic.


I've said it before and I say it again: I have used Magic: Workstation extensively a few years back and my decks played the same on PC and IRL. I can't check the same decks in Arena obviously but mana-wise I use the same as in Workstation and Paper. Now in Arena it's very often I get mana screwed. The 10 land draws in a row happens "every other game" as in, when it happens I can still remember the last time it happened because it was just a few days ago. And everybody should know how unlikely that is statistically.
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
November 26 2018 06:48 GMT
#13248
I run 22 lands + 4 elf/4commune/4thunderherd and the amount of times i get none of them is pretty staggering, granted 1 is a 2cost mana search but come on man, 3 or 4 games tonight ive started with no lands and none of the above options, like what?
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
Merany
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France890 Posts
November 26 2018 12:05 GMT
#13249
On November 26 2018 09:39 Lexender wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 26 2018 07:46 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Basically we're finding out how much people cheat in paper Magic.


If anything this shows how bad the only really bad thing about the design of Magic is, the mana system will always be Magic biggest flaw and why other card games have moved away from it.


Funny thing is, before I started playing MTG: Arena, the mana system was for me a strong point of the game.

I mostly play paper Modern and my main deck is 4 colors for 18 lands (tempo delver if you're curious). To me, it adds a lot of depth because you have to be really careful and think hard whenever you fetch. Much more interesting than just seeing your Hearthstone crystal count increasing each turn.

Now, I have to admit that having to run 24 lands in standard and drawing 4 in a row is a lot less exciting...
incinerate_
Profile Joined October 2010
172 Posts
December 08 2018 09:55 GMT
#13250
You can get a couple of cards for free with the code GAMEAWARDS in MTG: Arena

For a list of cards see here www.destructoid.com

infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 08 2018 16:40 GMT
#13251
Yay, thanks for sharing

Just started playing and getting the starter decks. Already spent wildcards on a merfolk deck because I found in on the interwebz ;;
Official Entusman #21
HiIamBrett
Profile Joined August 2013
56 Posts
December 12 2018 02:12 GMT
#13252
Hilarious combo I just found messing around with Phylactery Lich because I was trying to make a mono black deck work with it.

Just latch it to a transmogrifying wand and you can spawn 3 free ox by targeting your indestructible lich. Was trying to find a good use for the wand think I finally have one.

[image loading]

https://imgur.com/a/rb2jhW0

Obviously weak to bounce/exile but still fun.



infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 16 2018 21:55 GMT
#13253
This game is so tilting sometimes. How do I go 9 turns without getting my 3rd land? :/
Official Entusman #21
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22627 Posts
December 16 2018 22:03 GMT
#13254
part of learning to play magic is learning to accept that variance happens and that you lose a number of games to not drawing X, even when statistically you should have drawn X by now.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
HiIamBrett
Profile Joined August 2013
56 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-12-17 00:35:09
December 17 2018 00:16 GMT
#13255
This game is so tilting sometimes. How do I go 9 turns without getting my 3rd land? :/


I've been taking a lot of screenshots to help me better track stuff like this for about 3 days. I've had 2 like that the last 2 days.

https://imgur.com/a/asltyzc

What bothers me far more is that in 3 days I've had exactly 21 single land draws in decks that never run less than 20 land. Odds of that happening are less than 10%. I guarantee I haven't played over 200 games :-/.

At least when you don't draw land your opponent can see that and know what's happening. When they see you double mulligan two 1 land draws they probably just think you're greedy/bad.

It's always fun when the complete opposite happens.

[image loading]
HiIamBrett
Profile Joined August 2013
56 Posts
December 17 2018 20:44 GMT
#13256
MTG arena is officially out to get me today. My first 3 games had 2 that should almost never happen.

Game 1:
Draw + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Mulligan + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Second Mulligan + Show Spoiler +
https://i.imgur.com/oXz6F6W.jpg


Game 2 was normal.

Game 3
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading] The graveyard is 2 tormenting voices Used 1 to discard the other for double draw. Bad idea in hind sight since I drew 2 land :-/


Deck I was using.
[image loading]
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 21 2018 21:10 GMT
#13257
Been playing this game for a few weeks now. I moved from a Merfolk deck which I found was pretty good until you run into decks running board wipes and heavy removal (which is decently common on MTG:A). Since mono red aggro was stomping me, I figured it's good and made that deck. I don't know if I just had a bad run of games but I found it to be very inconsistent. If I hit the right cards, it's unstoppable. But a lot of times I would be like < 3 life short of lethal before running out of steam. I was most likely not making the best plays but I didn't find the deck fun. The only advantage of mono red was that the games were short so I could give up early.

Switched to a mono blue tempo deck and I've been enjoying it a lot. Despite only running 19 lands, it's much more consistent even if I don't draw a Curious Obsession. I also enjoy countering everything the opponent does It's a good learning experience trying to think of what my opponent could play and trying to play around that. Just won a game where I was on the draw and mulliganed down to 5. Had just the right counters and kept a Siren Stormtamer with Curious Obsession on the board long enough to make up the card disadvantage.

I'm also pretty close to a Izzet Drakes deck so will probably spend wild cards on that if I get bored of mono blue. I have 3 copies of Niv-Mizzet so was running a (very suboptimal) Izzet burn deck for kicks. Feels good to get Niv-Mizzet on the board and just start casting spells one after another.

For those of you playing on MTG:A, which decks do you find fun to play?
Official Entusman #21
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-12-21 22:41:17
December 21 2018 22:39 GMT
#13258
Good choice, izzet drakes is a relatively cheap deck to build, aside from the rare duo lands. I would run some maximize velocities in there, as drakes coming out of nowhere with haste is pretty kickass, and I don't see that many people doing it.

My first deck was an izzet wizards aggro with adeliz, which is very cheap and my go-to for aggro. It's not that reliable, but when it goes off you can get some hilarious turn 4 wins with adeliz pumping your whole board with cheap spells.

After I had all rare izzet lands I made an Izzet control deck using red burn spells and blue counters for control, a few Sarkhans and treasure maps to ramp Niv mizzet into play and opts/radical ideas to use with Niv. Sadly that wasn't the cheapest deck to build because not only did I build 4 Sarkhans and 2 Rals but also 4 rekindling phoenixes, which are pretty critical against golgari (chupacabra, eldest reborn and the occasional plaguecrafter). Overall that's a lot of mythic wildcards.

Recently I turned the same deck into a grixis control by adding a couple of Bolasses and switching red burn for black removal. It functions almost exactly the same but is more fun with being able to flip Bolas every few games.
Bora Pain minha porra!
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
December 22 2018 00:09 GMT
#13259
I'm so sick of drakes.
I mainly play mono u and merfolk, but I prefer draft to constructed.
I could theoretically build every standard deck out there right now but I'd rather just hoard my wildcards for the next set or something.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
December 22 2018 00:12 GMT
#13260
I also play mainly Izzet, since it has a lot of breadth. With a relatively small card pool you can play very aggressive izzet drakes with maximize velocity, and a playset of Warlord's Fury and Crash Throughs, or play Izzet control with 4x Niv Mizzets, and anything in between. I also built Izzet self-mill with Drowned Secrets, phoenix, creeping chill, but it isn't too good, though it's really funny when it works.
Prev 1 661 662 663 664 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
SteadfastSC520
EnkiAlexander 84
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 520
ZombieGrub137
JuggernautJason84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21390
Soulkey 271
White-Ra 194
Mini 165
Trap 28
ToSsGirL 23
Shine 14
League of Legends
Doublelift2483
Counter-Strike
fl0m1206
shoxiejesuss528
C9.Mang0145
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3722
Khaldor2160
Liquid`Hasu1582
Trikslyr40
Other Games
summit1g2834
ArmadaUGS2446
B2W.Neo471
shahzam454
Pyrionflax186
Mew2King57
Railgan22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 54
• Azhi_Dahaki32
• HerbMon 3
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV410
League of Legends
• TFBlade912
• Noizen117
Other Games
• Scarra1200
• imaqtpie891
• Shiphtur290
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 8m
OSC
16h 8m
Stellar Fest
16h 8m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.