• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:20
CEST 12:20
KST 19:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double0Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8956 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 441

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 439 440 441 442 443 665 Next
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
September 01 2013 17:52 GMT
#8801
Thoughtseize is going to destroy pricing of this new set.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
September 01 2013 18:12 GMT
#8802
Theros will be printed much more than Lorwyn was, after all RTR was the most printed set of all time, so the increase of supply will definitely bring down the price of thoughtseize. I estimate Thoughtseize will be sitting at around $25 around the time Theros goes out of print. After that, it'll slowly go up in price for the next few years.
good vibes only
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
September 01 2013 18:14 GMT
#8803
On September 02 2013 03:12 Meta wrote:
Theros will be printed much more than Lorwyn was, after all RTR was the most printed set of all time, so the increase of supply will definitely bring down the price of thoughtseize. I estimate Thoughtseize will be sitting at around $25 around the time Theros goes out of print. After that, it'll slowly go up in price for the next few years.

Pre-order on SCG is already $25 lol
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
September 01 2013 18:27 GMT
#8804
Oh wow, I looked it up on Gatherer. That's...phenomenal. :-o

Medomai, the Ageless is going to be a mythic, I know it. Extra turns just by hitting with a flyer? 3 toughness is right for that cost and benefit.

With the Devotion mechanic, will we see a major break from more varied decks and a boost in mono-colored ones? Mixing Theros and Ravnica's playstyles into singular decks will prove...interesting.
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 01 2013 19:30 GMT
#8805
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Narcind
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden2489 Posts
September 01 2013 20:21 GMT
#8806
On September 02 2013 04:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.


Liliana is already like the same price as bob though, but yeah it's only going to keep going up in price since it's the second best planeswalker ever printed, and I'd say the difference between second and third is MASSIVE, so yeah.
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 01 2013 22:10 GMT
#8807
On September 02 2013 03:27 cLAN.Anax wrote:
Oh wow, I looked it up on Gatherer. That's...phenomenal. :-o

Medomai, the Ageless is going to be a mythic, I know it. Extra turns just by hitting with a flyer? 3 toughness is right for that cost and benefit.

With the Devotion mechanic, will we see a major break from more varied decks and a boost in mono-colored ones? Mixing Theros and Ravnica's playstyles into singular decks will prove...interesting.


Not really, I think it will move to a Xy instead of an XY set-up. I mean some of these cards look so strong in double color decks. That 1 mana enchantment? I'm playing Rw in the next set splashing for that and Helix/Charm.

Also Lilly is $40-45, it'll hit probably $60 when modern season hits and everyone wants to play Jund.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 02 2013 03:44 GMT
#8808
On September 01 2013 18:57 Kinie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 01 2013 14:17 Judicator wrote:
Not a bad finisher, not sure how you are suppose to fit her in any deck though. This card feels like it should have been 5 cmc with less starting loyalty, maybe that was too good in the UW shell, play Jace, then this, and its like have with that. Meh.


Even if she was 5 cmc with those same abilites and 1 less loyalty, pretty sure you'd pay 5 mana to selectively wipe out the things that could kill Jace, or put up a gigantic wall of chump blockers so you could keep him around for longer with his +1.

I mean, she's a powerful Limited card, but I'm having trouble seeing her used outside of it. Like none of the current decks that use white would want her outside of the Elfball deck as a 1 or 2-of, to put a bajillion 1/1s on the field, so you can go Hoofing for a bajillion damage next turn. But Hoof rotates, along with most of the Elfball deck. Garruk's 6 cmc is justified because he "cheats" green fatties into play, and if you build your deck with his +1 in mind, you will generally go, "+1, draw 3 cards."


It just depends on the other competitive decks during the season. Can she be a (much worse) Grave Titan sort of turn 6 play? Or a Planeswalker that can crack some kind of UB control deck if you can slide her onto the board?

Personally, I think no. But who knows?
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-02 04:54:29
September 02 2013 04:41 GMT
#8809
I agree, from what we've seen I don't think elspeth is a standard constructed card. I think she has some good applications in modern where those tokens are going to do a lot more work with other human synergies and splashable ramp. It's the same reason why lingering souls was so great in old standard with lilly in the format. it fucks with her ability to board stall really hard- that's how I think of this, at worst it's a more or less 8mana worth of lingering souls with a 6 damage prevention on it over two turns. In modern it's unlikely they're going to be able to kill her the turn she comes down with hard removal or her being a 3-for-1. It's just the sort of curve capper a white weenie or boros deck wants.

And of course she's the classic 'tap six I win the game' card in limited...

So far the Thassa's Emissary looks to be one of the most promising cards in the set, 4 mana for a 3/3 blue is really solid, and with the draw a card and bestow capabilities I feel it's a shoe-in for control decks looking to have something to push card advantage. Super strong in limited too...

Curse of the Swine looks nice for constructed, definitely a heavy punish card for control decks going up against creature or manland strategies. Doesn't take the beating pressure off you, but turning all those boros activations into pigs or what have you seems solid. At worst, it's a solid 3 mana removal spell with a minor drawback.

Nykthos seems interesting, certainly makes going heavily into a major colour with a gold-splash strong. I forsee some powerful decks using that guy.

Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 02 2013 04:49 GMT
#8810
On September 02 2013 13:41 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
I agree, from what we've seen I don't think elspeth is a standard constructed card. I think she has some good applications in modern where those tokens are going to do a lot more work with other human synergies and splashable ramp. It's the same reason why lingering souls was so great in old standard with lilly in the format. it fucks with her ability to board stall really hard- that's how I think of this, at worst it's a more or less 8mana worth of lingering souls with a 6 damage prevention on it over two turns. In modern it's unlikely they're going to be able to kill her the turn she comes down with hard removal or her being a 3-for-1. It's just the sort of curve capper a white weenie or boros deck wants.


if she isn't playable in Standard why would you even think she's playable in modern where you consistently lose turn 3-5?

If anything she's the finisher of a midrange or control deck. I think She's better than her earlier rendition by a large margin. She boardwipes midrange threats that the big decks couldn't deal with efficiently(Blood Baron anyone?), stalls the game super hard and gives you a way to finish with those stallers. In post rotation standard I will go out on a limb and call her the best or second best planeswalker.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Thereisnosaurus
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1822 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-02 05:12:06
September 02 2013 04:59 GMT
#8811
if she isn't playable in Standard why would you even think she's playable in modern where you consistently lose turn 3-5?


Because modern has a lot wider range of synergies and tactics available. I don't think she's a maindeck card but I can definitely see her as a sideboard against creature heavy matchups.

There's also subtle things like the fact that modern decks rely a lot more on powerful spot removal like path to exile, liliana of the viel or abrupt decay rather than wraths or boardwipers. Anything which generates lots of tokens can really fuck with that (which is why lingering souls is such a strong card in modern), particularly with liliana and other sacrifice type removal traditionally strong in the format. In those matchups, games aren't going to be over by turns 3-5 because you'll both have spent those turns trading out your cards and one or other of you will probably be one creature in the lead and ready to lock down the board. I don't see many cards stronger than this at either cementing that advantage or flipping it back in white.

In post rotation standard I will go out on a limb and call her the best or second best planeswalker.

That may just be true, of course, there aren't exactly that many stellar planeswalkers in the format now. Chandra and garruk are competitive, from what I'm seeing of the blue-red cards floating around ral might make a more frequent appearance and domri has always been situationally very strong.

I just think that with the white tokens/humans theme rotating out with innistrad/m13, she isn't really doing what white wants to be doing at this point in standard, outside of UW control, and aetherling kind of has the finisher wrapped up for that archetype. She might be a good alternative in certain matchups tho.
Poisonous Sheep counter Hydras
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 02 2013 05:05 GMT
#8812
5 drop elspeth make 3 1/1 tokens as well and doesnt even see play(sometimes as a 1 of in BW tokens) BW tokens is really the only viable deck but 4 drop elspeth and Sorin both seem much better.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
September 02 2013 05:33 GMT
#8813
On September 02 2013 13:41 Thereisnosaurus wrote:
I agree, from what we've seen I don't think elspeth is a standard constructed card. I think she has some good applications in modern where those tokens are going to do a lot more work with other human synergies and splashable ramp. It's the same reason why lingering souls was so great in old standard with lilly in the format. it fucks with her ability to board stall really hard- that's how I think of this, at worst it's a more or less 8mana worth of lingering souls with a 6 damage prevention on it over two turns. In modern it's unlikely they're going to be able to kill her the turn she comes down with hard removal or her being a 3-for-1. It's just the sort of curve capper a white weenie or boros deck wants.


I'm all for keeping an open mind, but I don't think she's even close to good enough for Modern! Standard is much more of a possibility. Consider which Planeswalkers are even played in the format? Liliana of the Veil is basically ubiquitous and Karn is useful in Modern Tron but besides that?

You hardly see any of Jace Beleren; Gideon Jura; Garruk, Primal Hunter; Garruk Relentless; Sorin, Lord of Innistrad; Ajani Vengent. Even Elspeth, Knight Errant see only some play in Modern. And most of those guys were impact players in their Standard environments.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 02 2013 05:39 GMT
#8814
On September 02 2013 04:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.

when is modern season?
BlueBird.
Profile Joined August 2008
United States3890 Posts
September 02 2013 05:46 GMT
#8815
On September 02 2013 14:05 Shotcoder wrote:
5 drop elspeth make 3 1/1 tokens as well and doesnt even see play(sometimes as a 1 of in BW tokens) BW tokens is really the only viable deck but 4 drop elspeth and Sorin both seem much better.


that was a -2 ability, this is a +1 ability, I feel like this is worth 1 mana.

4 drop elspeth is basically one of the best planeswalker cards
Currently Playing: Android Netrunner, Gwent, Gloomhaven, Board Games
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 02 2013 06:18 GMT
#8816
On September 02 2013 14:39 caelym wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2013 04:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.

when is modern season?


Modern PTQ season...I have no idea since I don't play modern.

On September 02 2013 14:46 BlueBird. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2013 14:05 Shotcoder wrote:
5 drop elspeth make 3 1/1 tokens as well and doesnt even see play(sometimes as a 1 of in BW tokens) BW tokens is really the only viable deck but 4 drop elspeth and Sorin both seem much better.


that was a -2 ability, this is a +1 ability, I feel like this is worth 1 mana.

4 drop elspeth is basically one of the best planeswalker cards


That's not the point. The point is that she is a one of at best for 1 less mana that has the same effect. She wont see play if it's 1 more mana. Especially since the deck doesnt even touch 6 mana cost cards as it is.

Both Knight Errant and Sorin have a bigger impact for the deck even thought they cost less. +2/+2 and flying or +1/0 on for is much more relevant than trying to make 1/1's to stall at 6.

Off-topic: I honestly think unbanning Jace would be ok in modern. It sorted itself out in legacy and I think it could in modern as well.
Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
September 02 2013 07:02 GMT
#8817
This card makes me smile.

[image loading]
ModeratorGodfather
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
September 02 2013 07:15 GMT
#8818
On September 02 2013 15:18 Shotcoder wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2013 14:39 caelym wrote:
On September 02 2013 04:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.

when is modern season?


Modern PTQ season...I have no idea since I don't play modern.

if you don't know, why do you talk about it? anyway it's next summer http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=528021
cLAN.Anax
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States2847 Posts
September 02 2013 07:26 GMT
#8819
On September 02 2013 16:02 Manifesto7 wrote:
This card makes me smile.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


The answer to Storm Herd. :-> ...For a turn. X-D
┬─┬___(ツ)_/¯ 彡┻━┻ I am the 4%. "I cant believe i saw ANAL backwards before i saw the word LAN." - Capped
Shotcoder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2316 Posts
September 02 2013 07:44 GMT
#8820
On September 02 2013 16:15 caelym wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2013 15:18 Shotcoder wrote:
On September 02 2013 14:39 caelym wrote:
On September 02 2013 04:30 Shotcoder wrote:
Pick up your Liliana of the Veils while you can boys. When modern season hit that shit will go the way of Bob.

I'm glad Thoughtseize is going down in price. Hopefully they can do this overtime with more cards and make modern less like legacy in pricing respects.

when is modern season?


Modern PTQ season...I have no idea since I don't play modern.

if you don't know, why do you talk about it? anyway it's next summer http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=528021


Why? because that's when modern card will go up in price do to demand. Why even ask such a dumb question? I own lilianas of course I'm going to be interested when they're price is going to almost double.

Shotcoder - C+ BW Terran, Gold LoL(ADC Main)
Prev 1 439 440 441 442 443 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 10086
StarCastTV_EN201
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 291
Lowko198
ProTech88
Rex 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 6969
EffOrt 2936
BeSt 1096
Larva 1050
Horang2 693
Hyuk 633
ZerO 535
Zeus 209
Hyun 162
soO 133
[ Show more ]
Stork 127
Light 126
Killer 126
Barracks 105
Rush 63
Shinee 47
ToSsGirL 29
Terrorterran 28
Bale 27
Mong 25
PianO 19
Sacsri 15
HiyA 12
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
sorry 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 618
XcaliburYe339
League of Legends
KnowMe36
Counter-Strike
byalli751
Other Games
singsing1707
olofmeister1486
crisheroes234
Livibee185
Sick130
ArmadaUGS58
Mew2King56
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 129
lovetv 10
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH313
• StrangeGG 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1979
• Stunt364
Other Games
• WagamamaTV156
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
40m
Rex0
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 40m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 40m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 40m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.