• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:54
CEST 03:54
KST 10:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5559 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 319

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 317 318 319 320 321 665 Next
bobbob
Profile Joined December 2009
United States368 Posts
February 27 2013 09:29 GMT
#6361
For multiplayer EDH control, Wrexial works well against people running time warp effects or heavy spell decks. Mimeoplasm works as graveyard hate and a finisher. Thraximundar can keep the board moderately clean.

The key to multiplayer control is to just have tons of sweepers, card draw, and a few counterspells to keep people honest.
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
February 27 2013 10:03 GMT
#6362
On February 27 2013 15:23 MaestroSC wrote:
What do you think about oblivion ring, kinda the same thing as Pacifism, but more expensive... but it also doubles as an enchantment idk guess i need more playing with it to see how often i need more exile type cards


Oblivion Ring is pretty nice if it fits in your curve as control option, though if you never play it on anything else aside from creatures, you might consider just putting some Fiend Hunters in (though they die to removal easier they also give another body to drop your enchantments on). Detention Sphere is the big brother of O-Ring if you want to use something like them.

Anyways Invisible Stalker is probably one of the nastiest options for creature in a deck like yours, Lyev Skyknight or Skymark Roc are also options if you like fliers, though it's probably easier to just enchant other creatures with spectral flight.
DarthXX
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia998 Posts
February 27 2013 11:05 GMT
#6363
On February 27 2013 18:29 bobbob wrote:
For multiplayer EDH control, Wrexial works well against people running time warp effects or heavy spell decks. Mimeoplasm works as graveyard hate and a finisher. Thraximundar can keep the board moderately clean.

The key to multiplayer control is to just have tons of sweepers, card draw, and a few counterspells to keep people honest.

Pff attacking in EDH is overrated
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 13:51:29
February 27 2013 13:51 GMT
#6364
So here is my revised until I can get my hands on some rakdos and boars

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gruul-agro-27-02-13-1/

Thinking about taking out the zealots because I won't always have the two mountain maybe get another hell raiser goblin.

How do you guys feel about the guild gates? I mean they are nice because of flexibility but they slow down my curve by a turn right?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 27 2013 14:25 GMT
#6365
On February 27 2013 22:51 Trotske wrote:
So here is my revised until I can get my hands on some rakdos and boars

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gruul-agro-27-02-13-1/

Thinking about taking out the zealots because I won't always have the two mountain maybe get another hell raiser goblin.

How do you guys feel about the guild gates? I mean they are nice because of flexibility but they slow down my curve by a turn right?


Guild gates, I run a couple just in case, but yeah, I hate them compared to real fixing.

Uhm, yeah, Ash Zealots cost RR, but they're amazing when your mana heads that way. There's also other times they're good. Like, say, turn 5, when you're about to swing with that Rubblebelt, dropping an Ash Zealot to suddenly have another attacker.

You definitely shouldn't be trying to up to a full playset of them until you fix your T1 mana to be less green dependent. Right now it's impossible for you to play a creature on T1 and an Ash Zealot T2, but since you're only at 2 you can always hold them for later turns. That extra guy swinging in on T5 is worth another +1/+1 to your Rubblebelt, and should leave you with mana to Rancor one creature and bloodrush a Ghor-Clan onto another.

And that, if you've been chipping on early turns, is frequently going to be swinging for lethal.

Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
February 27 2013 14:38 GMT
#6366
Guildgates are something by necessity and not by choice. Rootbound Crags shouldn't be that expensive so you can probably pick up a set for cheap.
Get it by your hands...
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 14:49:06
February 27 2013 14:45 GMT
#6367
On February 27 2013 23:38 Judicator wrote:
Guildgates are something by necessity and not by choice. Rootbound Crags shouldn't be that expensive so you can probably pick up a set for cheap.


I have been looking for some but they are sold out a lot of places and am not sure about buying from Ebay. you know any good places to buy from that might have them?

If I buy a playset of the ones from old sets can I still play them in standard?

Also What do you guys think about getting rid of the guildmages? I'm thinking they might be a little slow.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 14:56:10
February 27 2013 14:50 GMT
#6368
On February 27 2013 23:45 Trotske wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 23:38 Judicator wrote:
Guildgates are something by necessity and not by choice. Rootbound Crags shouldn't be that expensive so you can probably pick up a set for cheap.


I have been looking for some but they are sold out a lot of places and am not sure about buying from Ebay. you know any good places to buy from that might have them?

If I buy a playset of the ones from old sets can I still play them in standard?


Yeah, a card that's been reprinted standard legal is standard legal. My Rancors are from all over the place.

Just check you aren't screwing yourself on pricing with an older one.

Oh, also something I should have mentioned: while I'm currently at 21 lands in my variant, I'm thinking about going to 23, just because right now mana screw is a possibility. Although I have won games on 2 mana. You'll just have to playtest your curve.

The Guildmages aren't all that exciting, but they're a 2/2 for 2, R/G, so until you get something that is exciting to replace them, keep them for body count. Better to be swinging with a bland creature than curving awkwardly, in an aggro deck. Also, anyone know a support group for recent Drafting addicts?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
February 27 2013 15:36 GMT
#6369
On February 27 2013 23:45 Trotske wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 23:38 Judicator wrote:
Guildgates are something by necessity and not by choice. Rootbound Crags shouldn't be that expensive so you can probably pick up a set for cheap.


I have been looking for some but they are sold out a lot of places and am not sure about buying from Ebay. you know any good places to buy from that might have them?

If I buy a playset of the ones from old sets can I still play them in standard?

Also What do you guys think about getting rid of the guildmages? I'm thinking they might be a little slow.


Well if you are going to order stuff online, I would just wait till rotation. The M10 lands have been reprinted twice now and Wizards are on the record that they didn't even want to print them for M13 so the chances of them staying in standard after M14 are next to 0. It's not much to buy at 12 bucks a playset, but it will be pointless for standard after September.

In either case, to anyone starting off now, just pick up a playset or close to a playset of Ravanica lands for the next standard.
Get it by your hands...
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
February 27 2013 15:47 GMT
#6370
On February 28 2013 00:36 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 23:45 Trotske wrote:
On February 27 2013 23:38 Judicator wrote:
Guildgates are something by necessity and not by choice. Rootbound Crags shouldn't be that expensive so you can probably pick up a set for cheap.


I have been looking for some but they are sold out a lot of places and am not sure about buying from Ebay. you know any good places to buy from that might have them?

If I buy a playset of the ones from old sets can I still play them in standard?

Also What do you guys think about getting rid of the guildmages? I'm thinking they might be a little slow.


Well if you are going to order stuff online, I would just wait till rotation. The M10 lands have been reprinted twice now and Wizards are on the record that they didn't even want to print them for M13 so the chances of them staying in standard after M14 are next to 0. It's not much to buy at 12 bucks a playset, but it will be pointless for standard after September.

In either case, to anyone starting off now, just pick up a playset or close to a playset of Ravanica lands for the next standard.

which ones are the ravanica lands?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 16:15:21
February 27 2013 16:13 GMT
#6371
The shocklands, like Temple Garden, Stomping Grounds etc. You'll be using those lands for the next standard cycle which is the next 1.5 years I think. Innistrad lands rotate out the same time as the M13 lands. So if you do continue playing Magic after September of this year, you would ideally want to pick up the shocklands when DGM (the next set) comes out when they will probably be at their lowest value. Then your mana base will be set for whatever decks you will be playing for the next Standard cycle.

Land value typically spikes up at the start of new Standard rotations, so its good to plan ahead for lands for you to buy low and maybe trade/sell high. They are also pretty useful to have since they transcend a single format whether it be casual play like EDH/Commander or find their way into more eternal formats like Modern.

Edit:

I don't know about others, but I personally hate building/testing a deck, enjoy it, then have to build it in real life only to find that I missing like 80 dollars worth of cards in lands. Simply put, you can find alternatives (albeit sometimes worse) for other cards, you really can't do that for lands.
Get it by your hands...
Durp
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada3117 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 16:25:25
February 27 2013 16:22 GMT
#6372
On February 27 2013 18:29 bobbob wrote:
For multiplayer EDH control, Wrexial works well against people running time warp effects or heavy spell decks. Mimeoplasm works as graveyard hate and a finisher. Thraximundar can keep the board moderately clean.

The key to multiplayer control is to just have tons of sweepers, card draw, and a few counterspells to keep people honest.

Hmm, Wrexial has been tried by someone else in our casual ring, so I'm thinking I'll steer clear of that one.

Mishra is too jokes, but I don't want to get hated out of the circle.

Our current generals being used are:
Sliver Overlord - my current deck, hence why I need a new one haha, tooo much hate
Lorthos, The FRESHmaker - kind of a useless general tbh, but monoblue is fucked. Omniscience is a pretty good card in EDH
Karona, False God - there's a 5 colour angel deck already so not gonna use an angel for a gen
Sharuum the Hegemon - I really hate this card for some reason
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - This was my original EDH deck with Karrthus, but I stopped playing for a while so one of my friends stole all the cards, stole my foil Scion and made it his own EDH. Yawn.
Reaper King - This deck can get a little combo'y haha

This is our current choices of EDH decks, what do you think is a good option based on that?

edit; Thrax and Mime seem fun to me so far.
SOOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOoo Many BANELINGS!!
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 16:27:59
February 27 2013 16:26 GMT
#6373
Hey Judicator, how do you feel about your Esper matchup vs Jund pre and post board?

I just started running a Jund midrange/control list and it feels that I'm something like a 40/60% dog pre-board and that it's about 50-50 or even 55% for me post-board. Adding a couple of duress, a 3rd rakdos return, a 3rd Primal Hunter, 2 Staff of Nin, a Thundermaw and an Acidic Slime feels quite strong.

Just curious about your thoughts.

Edit: Forgot to add 3 slaughter games to what I board in. You can see my board is almost totally dedicated to Esper lol
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 27 2013 17:00 GMT
#6374
On thoughts for Gruul, it's kinda difficult to say which I'd rather splash more, once I can get the mana. Black has so much beautiful removal, and some cute creatures, but White opens up some damned scary toys. Like, can you imagine dropping a Boros Charm on a Rubblebelt Raider?
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 17:25:34
February 27 2013 17:21 GMT
#6375
On February 28 2013 01:26 JT wrote:
Hey Judicator, how do you feel about your Esper matchup vs Jund pre and post board?

I just started running a Jund midrange/control list and it feels that I'm something like a 40/60% dog pre-board and that it's about 50-50 or even 55% for me post-board. Adding a couple of duress, a 3rd rakdos return, a 3rd Primal Hunter, 2 Staff of Nin, a Thundermaw and an Acidic Slime feels quite strong.

Just curious about your thoughts.

Edit: Forgot to add 3 slaughter games to what I board in. You can see my board is almost totally dedicated to Esper lol


It's more about who gets what. Like I can stop most Jund draws comfortably if I am aware of the cards. I think the match up is actually in your favor pre-board if you can play around spot removal and not give me free turns by dumping a turn into a Kessig. I think the match up is in your favor post-board since you bring in more cards I have to play around. Planar Cleansing is a card that you need to respect.

Basically, I have to respect your Rakdos's Return and you need to respect spot removal for Kessig. The biggest thing is that you want to play your Far Seek on 2 to make your Returns more threatening, you can't not leave me a card in hand since a Revelation is good enough to bring the game back to parity.

Slaughter Games I find to be meh, I don't actually need Revelation to win and I think laying an Olivia or Huntmaster will be more problematic for the Esper player since now they have to do something eventually and you can just sit back and wait for the action/tap. If given the choice, I would take SG on 4 than a creature. Again, Planar Cleansing is a card you have to respect if you decide to take this line.

Pretty sure this match up is in your favor overall, since you do have a pretty good chance to just win game 1 off of Kessig.

Edit:

Just to clarify, Planar Cleansing makes your Staff/PWs lines much less threatening and re-centers the game on Kessig + Creature. So if you do want to go in on PWs, make sure they are protected/resilient through redundancy.
Get it by your hands...
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
February 27 2013 17:28 GMT
#6376
Due to a 'Legal Dispute' Cockatrice is no longer available for use.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 27 2013 17:31 GMT
#6377
Interesting points, thanks. I get what you're saying about dumping into Kessig. I've found the most difficult decisions based on whether to pump a creature or plan another spell instead.

Planar Cleansing is definitely a very relevant card. Garruk is just so good in the MU.
Leonite7
Profile Joined July 2011
Ireland921 Posts
February 27 2013 17:41 GMT
#6378
So my LGS has recently been flooded with aggro decks and I am considering starting up a Naya Midrange deck but I dont have a lot of money to spend on it, are there any good cheap cards you guys recommend I should look out for to try and trade for? I know the mana base is expensive but I can probably buy most of the dual lands and trade for a few of the shocklands.
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 19:50:33
February 27 2013 19:26 GMT
#6379
On February 28 2013 02:41 Leonite7 wrote:
So my LGS has recently been flooded with aggro decks and I am considering starting up a Naya Midrange deck but I dont have a lot of money to spend on it, are there any good cheap cards you guys recommend I should look out for to try and trade for? I know the mana base is expensive but I can probably buy most of the dual lands and trade for a few of the shocklands.

Loxodon Smiter holds off infinity 2/2s and he's $3. Wolfir Silverheart is criminally underappreciated in midrange strategies and he's cheap as hell too.

I will say, there is no possible way to play midrange without Thragtusk, so keep in mind you'll need to spend at least $60 in trades for 4 copies.
Leonite7
Profile Joined July 2011
Ireland921 Posts
February 27 2013 19:59 GMT
#6380
On February 28 2013 04:26 deth2munkies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2013 02:41 Leonite7 wrote:
So my LGS has recently been flooded with aggro decks and I am considering starting up a Naya Midrange deck but I dont have a lot of money to spend on it, are there any good cheap cards you guys recommend I should look out for to try and trade for? I know the mana base is expensive but I can probably buy most of the dual lands and trade for a few of the shocklands.

Loxodon Smiter holds off infinity 2/2s and he's $3. Wolfir Silverheart is criminally underappreciated in midrange strategies and he's cheap as hell too.

I will say, there is no possible way to play midrange without Thragtusk, so keep in mind you'll need to spend at least $60 in trades for 4 copies.

I already have 1 Thragtusk and I don't know where you are buying your cards but I saw a playset of Thragtusks going for €32.75($43) without shipping.
Prev 1 317 318 319 320 321 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 175
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2558
Dota 2
monkeys_forever785
NeuroSwarm188
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe188
Other Games
summit1g7303
Day[9].tv728
Coldzera 620
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0342
PiGStarcraft176
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick855
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream339
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• davetesta21
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv728
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 6m
Afreeca Starleague
8h 6m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
22h 6m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.