• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:45
CEST 04:45
KST 11:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8113 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 318

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 316 317 318 319 320 665 Next
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
February 27 2013 02:37 GMT
#6341
On February 27 2013 11:21 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



Well, "competitive at FNM" seems to vary from place to place, my shop, I expect serious decks from fairly serious players, for the most part.

What turn do you want to kill them? I assume early? Burning-Tree helps you flood the board, mostly, since it's basically just free if you use R/G to pay it. That, plus the Rubblebelts and Ghor-Clan strongly suggest you want to swing for lethal on T5 at the latest. In which case, you need to be reliably playing creatures T1-4.

Basically, go see all the advice people gave me on a similar deck over the weekend. Regardless of whether I was trying to mess with my Gruul deck at the time (although for some reason those cards ended up being easier to get than stuff for my Dimir deck...) it's still the stuff you'd want to look at.

If you're wanting to kill them with something big, you need ways to get there.

I'd also suggest looking at Ground Assault. It's basically amazing in a Gruul deck, assuming you have a sensible amount of mana.

Here's what I ended up with when I couldn't get Phantasms and Spirals in a timely manner, for Games Day. (Went 1-3, with a win in 2 of the matches I lost.)

+ Show Spoiler +
1 Slumbering Dragon
4 Experiment One
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Stromkirk Noble
2 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
2 Skarrg Guildmage
3 Ash Zealot
2 Flinthoof Boar
3 Pyreheart Wolf
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Rubblebelt Raiders
4 Rancor
2 Ground Assault
2 Searing Spear
1 Kessig Wolf Run
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Rootbound Crag
8 Forest
8 Mountain



Why ground assault doesn't that make the chances of me getting the creatures I need less?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 27 2013 02:42 GMT
#6342
On February 27 2013 11:37 Trotske wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 11:21 JingleHell wrote:
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



Well, "competitive at FNM" seems to vary from place to place, my shop, I expect serious decks from fairly serious players, for the most part.

What turn do you want to kill them? I assume early? Burning-Tree helps you flood the board, mostly, since it's basically just free if you use R/G to pay it. That, plus the Rubblebelts and Ghor-Clan strongly suggest you want to swing for lethal on T5 at the latest. In which case, you need to be reliably playing creatures T1-4.

Basically, go see all the advice people gave me on a similar deck over the weekend. Regardless of whether I was trying to mess with my Gruul deck at the time (although for some reason those cards ended up being easier to get than stuff for my Dimir deck...) it's still the stuff you'd want to look at.

If you're wanting to kill them with something big, you need ways to get there.

I'd also suggest looking at Ground Assault. It's basically amazing in a Gruul deck, assuming you have a sensible amount of mana.

Here's what I ended up with when I couldn't get Phantasms and Spirals in a timely manner, for Games Day. (Went 1-3, with a win in 2 of the matches I lost.)

+ Show Spoiler +
1 Slumbering Dragon
4 Experiment One
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Stromkirk Noble
2 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
2 Skarrg Guildmage
3 Ash Zealot
2 Flinthoof Boar
3 Pyreheart Wolf
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Rubblebelt Raiders
4 Rancor
2 Ground Assault
2 Searing Spear
1 Kessig Wolf Run
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Rootbound Crag
8 Forest
8 Mountain



Why ground assault doesn't that make the chances of me getting the creatures I need less?


Because, assuming you make your land drops, it's usually able to stay competitive for removal throughout the game, without straying out of your colors.

It's not amazing, but it's easy to get. Assemble the clans is mediocre anyways, since you need to have creatures out quickly, it's garbage at T2, better to just have a solid curve of creatures to drop, so it should be an easy replacement after a draft. (Just ask whoever drafts Gruul at a draft, if you don't, they'll probably have a couple.)

As for getting the creatures you need, the biggest thing in the way of that right now is the fact that you barely have 1 and 3 drops.

Also note, the Pyreheart wolves I'm running should actually be sideboarded, they're cute but not always needed.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
February 27 2013 02:42 GMT
#6343
I would drop the Signals for Gruul Charm, you have a lot of creatures so casting the Fault (can't block) side seems reasonable.

I would also cut the vipers for flinthoofs and the swines for 2 more Slaughterhorn, cut the Borb for sure for probably the third Flinthoof and something else for the 4th. Not sure how Ash Zealot has been for you but it seems underwhelming maybe for Lightning Maulers?
Get it by your hands...
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
February 27 2013 02:46 GMT
#6344
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



I think in general you should lower the curve, remove the Farseeks and Signal the Clans since they are too slow. Farseek isn't accelerating you into anything significant so it would be better to just play a threat.

I would probably add 4 Flinthoof Boar for sure, and maybe some combination of Rakdos Cacklers, Lightning Maulers, and Mogg Flunkies to lower the curve. I'd probably also play 4 Giant Growth but the Slaughterhorns seem okay. You're going to have some trouble since G/R doesn't have a lot of utility in the current format, so your plan should really just revolve around playing a bunch of cheap creatures and Rancoring them.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
February 27 2013 03:10 GMT
#6345
On February 27 2013 11:46 Cel.erity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



I think in general you should lower the curve, remove the Farseeks and Signal the Clans since they are too slow. Farseek isn't accelerating you into anything significant so it would be better to just play a threat.

I would probably add 4 Flinthoof Boar for sure, and maybe some combination of Rakdos Cacklers, Lightning Maulers, and Mogg Flunkies to lower the curve. I'd probably also play 4 Giant Growth but the Slaughterhorns seem okay. You're going to have some trouble since G/R doesn't have a lot of utility in the current format, so your plan should really just revolve around playing a bunch of cheap creatures and Rancoring them.



The thing about signal of the clans is it also allows me to get blood rush creatures for sure. It actually won me a match on game day.

If I remove far seeks would I put some more land in? I feel that they help me make sure I have a solid mana base. I guess I should get rid of my 8 drop then? I kinda have it in there encase the game goes long but I suppose I should just be trying to run them down.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 03:38:26
February 27 2013 03:31 GMT
#6346
On February 27 2013 12:10 Trotske wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 11:46 Cel.erity wrote:
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



I think in general you should lower the curve, remove the Farseeks and Signal the Clans since they are too slow. Farseek isn't accelerating you into anything significant so it would be better to just play a threat.

I would probably add 4 Flinthoof Boar for sure, and maybe some combination of Rakdos Cacklers, Lightning Maulers, and Mogg Flunkies to lower the curve. I'd probably also play 4 Giant Growth but the Slaughterhorns seem okay. You're going to have some trouble since G/R doesn't have a lot of utility in the current format, so your plan should really just revolve around playing a bunch of cheap creatures and Rancoring them.



The thing about signal of the clans is it also allows me to get blood rush creatures for sure. It actually won me a match on game day.

If I remove far seeks would I put some more land in? I feel that they help me make sure I have a solid mana base. I guess I should get rid of my 8 drop then? I kinda have it in there encase the game goes long but I suppose I should just be trying to run them down.


Your deck isn't built to win long games, so rather than trying to cover all of your bases, you should maximize the turns where your deck is at its peak like on turns 3 to 5.

Edit: Your top end tops out at 4 I think if you removed the Swines. So around like 23/24 lands? Not sure how consistently you want to hit 4 lands though.
Get it by your hands...
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 27 2013 03:53 GMT
#6347
On February 27 2013 12:10 Trotske wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 11:46 Cel.erity wrote:
On February 27 2013 11:06 Trotske wrote:
Here is my current deck
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/first-try-26-02-13-1/
Thinking about replacing Deadbridge Goliath with another slaughterhorn but really not sure. Also want more rubblebelt raiders.

Think I might need a response to flying.

Any suggestions would be great ! I'm trying to make a deck that could be competitive at Fnm.



I think in general you should lower the curve, remove the Farseeks and Signal the Clans since they are too slow. Farseek isn't accelerating you into anything significant so it would be better to just play a threat.

I would probably add 4 Flinthoof Boar for sure, and maybe some combination of Rakdos Cacklers, Lightning Maulers, and Mogg Flunkies to lower the curve. I'd probably also play 4 Giant Growth but the Slaughterhorns seem okay. You're going to have some trouble since G/R doesn't have a lot of utility in the current format, so your plan should really just revolve around playing a bunch of cheap creatures and Rancoring them.



The thing about signal of the clans is it also allows me to get blood rush creatures for sure. It actually won me a match on game day.

If I remove far seeks would I put some more land in? I feel that they help me make sure I have a solid mana base. I guess I should get rid of my 8 drop then? I kinda have it in there encase the game goes long but I suppose I should just be trying to run them down.


You want your enemy to really want every creature dead now. As I've been learning, just flooding the board with creatures isn't enough. Flood them with creatures that either hit the enemy now, scare the enemy into not tapping out their creatures, or otherwise let you control the pace.

Wasteland vipers are ok for that, in that nobody likes to attack into them, but when every other deck is built to be scarier than yours given time to develop the board, the last thing you want is to stall the enemy. That's their tactic. First Strike, Haste, 1/1 counters. Make their stall help you swing for lethal before they're ready to crush you.
DarthXX
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia998 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 05:25:56
February 27 2013 05:22 GMT
#6348
On February 27 2013 10:52 Durp wrote:
My friends and I have brought back EDH for some more casual playing, and I'm thinking I want to make some semblance of a control deck. I've always had this hard on for Toshiro Umezawa and being able to flashback all my kill spells, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to justify running any general other than Damia, Sage of Stone if I want to play some control.

Any thoughts for EDH help gents?

There are lots of generals suited to control, I just don't think its particularly fun in EDH but to each their own, A few controlly generals off the top of my head.

Dralnu. Don't let his drawback fool you, there are some spells that were never meant to be flashed back (flash backed?) especially in U/B

Azami is also a monster, and she will probably draw you more cards over the course of a game than Damia will.

Other options include Sharuum and Niv-Mizzet but these are more combo generals with control elements to them.

You can also make a really obnoxious stax deck using Mishra but I would not recommend it if you like either your friends or value your physical safety
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 05:46:52
February 27 2013 05:40 GMT
#6349
Looking for outside input and suggestions on my fun cheap deck that I have been playing with. Am not interested in any cards that wont allow me to play standard.

Basically my current deck is a blue white control/enchantment deck. I havent lost with it yet, despite not having some cards I want to eventually put in it.

I have enough control to basically control the board most of the game at least so far. And with enchantments, a 2-2 turns into a 18-18 pretty fast thanks to the way Ethereal armor works.

Basically its just super fast pressure, while i enchant my creatures up, and keep any of their big stuff off the board, or i Bait it and kill it with Downsize. While Stealer of Secrets lets me get a lot of fast extra cards for the most part.

+ Show Spoiler +
4 Ethereal armor
4 Pacifism
4 Divine Favor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Stealer of Secrets
4 downsize
4 Inaction Injunction
4 New Prahv Guildmage
4 Azorius Charm
4 Judge's Familiar


Basically I am looking to add 4 creatures, atm i run 4 Hussar Patrols, because they are blue white, and have high toughness, which can stall for a bit while i get enchantments on the board. I use Judges Familiar, because a fast flying

can generally keep me safe, and throw a tiny bit of free damage, can also use its ability as needed. Also with Downsize, and with some enchantments, these things can get pretty strong.

So I need advice on what I should trim/add. I like to run around 25 lands generally. And this deck is already at 40, before adding a last creature.

I know that Orzhova is kinda strange, for blue/white but its another enchantment, gives me flying and lifelink. When you have a creature hitting for 18 with lifelink, it is silly. And i havent had any real issues getting it onto the board, since i generally run more whites than blues because my blue cards only ever need 1 blue mana.

Anyways, suggestions from a veteran?

(i know this isnt the greatest deck or anything, but its super cheap, and i have pissed off a couple people hardcore with my baiting and killing with downsize, and also using all of my disables, like Pacifism (which is also an enchantment- gives etheral armor a boost), Inaction injunction, Detain from New Prahv Guildmage.

Not sure i like the azorius charm in this deck, but the choices generally mean ill have at least one good option for it.

thanks ahead of time =)

(dont be too harsh im new and fragile lolol)

one enchantment i have in there currently is Way of the Thief. and i have 2 of these and 2 orzhova's. And the "cant be blocked" is nice, but not sure if so much so that its worth trading out a possible lifelink and flying. idk the +2+2 is pretty good tho.

another Card i like is Arctic Aven its a 3-2 flying, and has ability of 1 white that gives lifelink, but i only have one of this card = why its not in my deck.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
February 27 2013 05:50 GMT
#6350
How is your deck beating Terminus and Supreme Verdict?
Get it by your hands...
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 06:03:05
February 27 2013 05:55 GMT
#6351
I havent been hit by that card yet. Idk I generally dont like to have more than 3 creatures on the board with this deck, because by then I am constantly using my mana for enchantments and spells, and abilities. So if it happens, I generally have 1-2 creature cards in my hand just chilling by the end of the game, and currently I run 4 Hussar Patrols, so if I am ahead i will keep them in my hand for Supreme verdict I mean

and i have never seen a Terminus in play yet. idk how i would beat that.


one card Im debating throwing in for more control.. and to make my opponent even more mad is Oblivion Ring. Basically the same as pacifism. Nulls one of their creatures, also counts as an enchantment making ethereal armor stronger.

even then tho ill have 8 cards to lock down permanently, as well as 4 inaction injunction which can each stall for a turn?

idk how id beat that
guess I need to add some non-creature shuffle enabling cards lol
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
February 27 2013 06:05 GMT
#6352
I mean even if you have 2 creatures out, that's 2 plus the enchantments, so its still like a 2+ for 1 wrath (board wipe for creatures) effect. Just wondering how they haven't run you out of cards.
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 06:09:46
February 27 2013 06:06 GMT
#6353
On February 27 2013 14:40 MaestroSC wrote:
Looking for outside input and suggestions on my fun cheap deck that I have been playing with. Am not interested in any cards that wont allow me to play standard.

Basically my current deck is a blue white control/enchantment deck. I havent lost with it yet, despite not having some cards I want to eventually put in it.

I have enough control to basically control the board most of the game at least so far. And with enchantments, a 2-2 turns into a 18-18 pretty fast thanks to the way Ethereal armor works.

Basically its just super fast pressure, while i enchant my creatures up, and keep any of their big stuff off the board, or i Bait it and kill it with Downsize. While Stealer of Secrets lets me get a lot of fast extra cards for the most part.

+ Show Spoiler +
4 Ethereal armor
4 Pacifism
4 Divine Favor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Stealer of Secrets
4 downsize
4 Inaction Injunction
4 New Prahv Guildmage
4 Azorius Charm
4 Judge's Familiar


Basically I am looking to add 4 creatures, atm i run 4 Hussar Patrols, because they are blue white, and have high toughness, which can stall for a bit while i get enchantments on the board. I use Judges Familiar, because a fast flying

can generally keep me safe, and throw a tiny bit of free damage, can also use its ability as needed. Also with Downsize, and with some enchantments, these things can get pretty strong.

So I need advice on what I should trim/add. I like to run around 25 lands generally. And this deck is already at 40, before adding a last creature.

I know that Orzhova is kinda strange, for blue/white but its another enchantment, gives me flying and lifelink. When you have a creature hitting for 18 with lifelink, it is silly. And i havent had any real issues getting it onto the board, since i generally run more whites than blues because my blue cards only ever need 1 blue mana.

Anyways, suggestions from a veteran?

(i know this isnt the greatest deck or anything, but its super cheap, and i have pissed off a couple people hardcore with my baiting and killing with downsize, and also using all of my disables, like Pacifism (which is also an enchantment- gives etheral armor a boost), Inaction injunction, Detain from New Prahv Guildmage.

Not sure i like the azorius charm in this deck, but the choices generally mean ill have at least one good option for it.

thanks ahead of time =)

(dont be too harsh im new and fragile lolol)

one enchantment i have in there currently is Way of the Thief. and i have 2 of these and 2 orzhova's. And the "cant be blocked" is nice, but not sure if so much so that its worth trading out a possible lifelink and flying. idk the +2+2 is pretty good tho.

another Card i like is Arctic Aven its a 3-2 flying, and has ability of 1 white that gives lifelink, but i only have one of this card = why its not in my deck.


Yeah, for a budget that's pretty cool. Maybe Lyev Skyknight is an option - he can detain permanents, though I don't know if that's super relevant, but maybe you'll hit a Liliana or something. It's only an Uncommon so you can probably pick them up for the change in your ashtray. I'm also thinking that Judge's Familiar might be swapped out for Doomed Traveler or something a bit more effective.

Divine Favor is really weak. Maybe Bonds of Faith or Spectral Flight instead? Both those enchantments have much more Oomph for the same mana. If you can get your hands on some cheaper rares, you might want to look for Riders of Gavony or Cyclonic Rift? Something like that.

I don't think anything is really going to save you from a board sweep if you're committed to a budget enchantment beat down deck.

EDIT: OH SHIT just imagine this magnificent fucker with some magnificent blue wings: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 06:22:10
February 27 2013 06:12 GMT
#6354
On February 27 2013 15:06 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 14:40 MaestroSC wrote:
Looking for outside input and suggestions on my fun cheap deck that I have been playing with. Am not interested in any cards that wont allow me to play standard.

Basically my current deck is a blue white control/enchantment deck. I havent lost with it yet, despite not having some cards I want to eventually put in it.

I have enough control to basically control the board most of the game at least so far. And with enchantments, a 2-2 turns into a 18-18 pretty fast thanks to the way Ethereal armor works.

Basically its just super fast pressure, while i enchant my creatures up, and keep any of their big stuff off the board, or i Bait it and kill it with Downsize. While Stealer of Secrets lets me get a lot of fast extra cards for the most part.

+ Show Spoiler +
4 Ethereal armor
4 Pacifism
4 Divine Favor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Stealer of Secrets
4 downsize
4 Inaction Injunction
4 New Prahv Guildmage
4 Azorius Charm
4 Judge's Familiar



Basically I am looking to add 4 creatures, atm i run 4 Hussar Patrols, because they are blue white, and have high toughness, which can stall for a bit while i get enchantments on the board. I use Judges Familiar, because a fast flying

can generally keep me safe, and throw a tiny bit of free damage, can also use its ability as needed. Also with Downsize, and with some enchantments, these things can get pretty strong.

So I need advice on what I should trim/add. I like to run around 25 lands generally. And this deck is already at 40, before adding a last creature.

I know that Orzhova is kinda strange, for blue/white but its another enchantment, gives me flying and lifelink. When you have a creature hitting for 18 with lifelink, it is silly. And i havent had any real issues getting it onto the board, since i generally run more whites than blues because my blue cards only ever need 1 blue mana.

Anyways, suggestions from a veteran?

(i know this isnt the greatest deck or anything, but its super cheap, and i have pissed off a couple people hardcore with my baiting and killing with downsize, and also using all of my disables, like Pacifism (which is also an enchantment- gives etheral armor a boost), Inaction injunction, Detain from New Prahv Guildmage.

Not sure i like the azorius charm in this deck, but the choices generally mean ill have at least one good option for it.

thanks ahead of time =)

(dont be too harsh im new and fragile lolol)

one enchantment i have in there currently is Way of the Thief. and i have 2 of these and 2 orzhova's. And the "cant be blocked" is nice, but not sure if so much so that its worth trading out a possible lifelink and flying. idk the +2+2 is pretty good tho.

another Card i like is Arctic Aven its a 3-2 flying, and has ability of 1 white that gives lifelink, but i only have one of this card = why its not in my deck.


Yeah, for a budget that's pretty cool. Maybe Lyev Skyknight is an option - he can detain permanents, though I don't know if that's super relevant, but maybe you'll hit a Liliana or something. It's only an Uncommon so you can probably pick them up for the change in your ashtray. I'm also thinking that Judge's Familiar might be swapped out for Doomed Traveler or something a bit more effective.

Divine Favor is really weak. Maybe Bonds of Faith or Spectral Flight instead? Both those enchantments have much more Oomph for the same mana. If you can get your hands on some cheaper rares, you might want to look for Riders of Gavony or Cyclonic Rift? Something like that.

I don't think anything is really going to save you from a board sweep if you're committed to a budget enchantment beat down deck.

EDIT: OH SHIT: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Thanks for the input. Ya i am not a huge fan of divine favor either, its def on the priority list of enchants to drop. I just didnt know of most cards as I have only been playing for almost 2 weeks now. Also Doomed Traveler actually sounds nice, even if i just suicide him for the flying ghost lol. (i always feel bad for this card... but we all know why he is Doomed i suppose)

ya idk how id survive a board reset but idk how often other people see these full reset cards... is it very often?

haha I like it... i just read the bottom part and was like "aahhh" lol. maybe ill toss 2 of those in?

also detaining is a decent part of my strategy so ill look into it.

i really have just fallen in love with the ethereal armor card, so this deck is my "ethereal armor is awsome!" deck lol. the way they stack with eachother is just... godly.

also i kinda want to throw in 4 rancors and splash a TINY bit of green for it, i just dont have any of the card atm

i also really like the 2 enchants u suggested, the first one gives both defensive and offensive options *(if im reading it correctly) and the 2nd one is just a good card... flying and +2+2 for 2 mana. sounds good imo
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
February 27 2013 06:18 GMT
#6355
No no, I was being sort of kidding around. You'll rarely meet the condition of indestructability and the card is very weak otherwise.

You'll see sweepers when you play against "controlling" decks. Neither card is particularly pricey, so even if you're just playing a few games for fun, you should be prepared to see them often enough. You can't always trump a sweep but you should play with the knowledge that such a card exists and what you can do to not lose right away to one.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
February 27 2013 06:23 GMT
#6356
What do you think about oblivion ring, kinda the same thing as Pacifism, but more expensive... but it also doubles as an enchantment idk guess i need more playing with it to see how often i need more exile type cards
Louuster
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada2869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 06:37:20
February 27 2013 06:33 GMT
#6357
On February 27 2013 14:22 DarthXX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 10:52 Durp wrote:
My friends and I have brought back EDH for some more casual playing, and I'm thinking I want to make some semblance of a control deck. I've always had this hard on for Toshiro Umezawa and being able to flashback all my kill spells, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to justify running any general other than Damia, Sage of Stone if I want to play some control.

Any thoughts for EDH help gents?

There are lots of generals suited to control, I just don't think its particularly fun in EDH but to each their own, A few controlly generals off the top of my head.

Dralnu. Don't let his drawback fool you, there are some spells that were never meant to be flashed back (flash backed?) especially in U/B

Azami is also a monster, and she will probably draw you more cards over the course of a game than Damia will.

Other options include Sharuum and Niv-Mizzet but these are more combo generals with control elements to them.

You can also make a really obnoxious stax deck using Mishra but I would not recommend it if you like either your friends or value your physical safety


Either Im not seeing something really obvious, or Mishra doesnt do anything as a general except suffle your deck a lot lol?

Kim Taek Yong fighting~
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 06:37:35
February 27 2013 06:36 GMT
#6358
Which is really good in EDH. You have cards that can abuse move cards from hand to top of library (usually for some amount of cards off the top) then shuffle them away. Think Brainstorm interactions in Legacy.

Like you can setup some cheap synergies or go big through combo.
Get it by your hands...
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
February 27 2013 06:39 GMT
#6359
On February 27 2013 15:12 MaestroSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 15:06 slyboogie wrote:
On February 27 2013 14:40 MaestroSC wrote:
Looking for outside input and suggestions on my fun cheap deck that I have been playing with. Am not interested in any cards that wont allow me to play standard.

Basically my current deck is a blue white control/enchantment deck. I havent lost with it yet, despite not having some cards I want to eventually put in it.

I have enough control to basically control the board most of the game at least so far. And with enchantments, a 2-2 turns into a 18-18 pretty fast thanks to the way Ethereal armor works.

Basically its just super fast pressure, while i enchant my creatures up, and keep any of their big stuff off the board, or i Bait it and kill it with Downsize. While Stealer of Secrets lets me get a lot of fast extra cards for the most part.

+ Show Spoiler +
4 Ethereal armor
4 Pacifism
4 Divine Favor
4 Gift of Orzhova
4 Stealer of Secrets
4 downsize
4 Inaction Injunction
4 New Prahv Guildmage
4 Azorius Charm
4 Judge's Familiar



Basically I am looking to add 4 creatures, atm i run 4 Hussar Patrols, because they are blue white, and have high toughness, which can stall for a bit while i get enchantments on the board. I use Judges Familiar, because a fast flying

can generally keep me safe, and throw a tiny bit of free damage, can also use its ability as needed. Also with Downsize, and with some enchantments, these things can get pretty strong.

So I need advice on what I should trim/add. I like to run around 25 lands generally. And this deck is already at 40, before adding a last creature.

I know that Orzhova is kinda strange, for blue/white but its another enchantment, gives me flying and lifelink. When you have a creature hitting for 18 with lifelink, it is silly. And i havent had any real issues getting it onto the board, since i generally run more whites than blues because my blue cards only ever need 1 blue mana.

Anyways, suggestions from a veteran?

(i know this isnt the greatest deck or anything, but its super cheap, and i have pissed off a couple people hardcore with my baiting and killing with downsize, and also using all of my disables, like Pacifism (which is also an enchantment- gives etheral armor a boost), Inaction injunction, Detain from New Prahv Guildmage.

Not sure i like the azorius charm in this deck, but the choices generally mean ill have at least one good option for it.

thanks ahead of time =)

(dont be too harsh im new and fragile lolol)

one enchantment i have in there currently is Way of the Thief. and i have 2 of these and 2 orzhova's. And the "cant be blocked" is nice, but not sure if so much so that its worth trading out a possible lifelink and flying. idk the +2+2 is pretty good tho.

another Card i like is Arctic Aven its a 3-2 flying, and has ability of 1 white that gives lifelink, but i only have one of this card = why its not in my deck.


Yeah, for a budget that's pretty cool. Maybe Lyev Skyknight is an option - he can detain permanents, though I don't know if that's super relevant, but maybe you'll hit a Liliana or something. It's only an Uncommon so you can probably pick them up for the change in your ashtray. I'm also thinking that Judge's Familiar might be swapped out for Doomed Traveler or something a bit more effective.

Divine Favor is really weak. Maybe Bonds of Faith or Spectral Flight instead? Both those enchantments have much more Oomph for the same mana. If you can get your hands on some cheaper rares, you might want to look for Riders of Gavony or Cyclonic Rift? Something like that.

I don't think anything is really going to save you from a board sweep if you're committed to a budget enchantment beat down deck.

EDIT: OH SHIT: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



Thanks for the input. Ya i am not a huge fan of divine favor either, its def on the priority list of enchants to drop. I just didnt know of most cards as I have only been playing for almost 2 weeks now. Also Doomed Traveler actually sounds nice, even if i just suicide him for the flying ghost lol. (i always feel bad for this card... but we all know why he is Doomed i suppose)

ya idk how id survive a board reset but idk how often other people see these full reset cards... is it very often?

haha I like it... i just read the bottom part and was like "aahhh" lol. maybe ill toss 2 of those in?

also detaining is a decent part of my strategy so ill look into it.

i really have just fallen in love with the ethereal armor card, so this deck is my "ethereal armor is awsome!" deck lol. the way they stack with eachother is just... godly.

also i kinda want to throw in 4 rancors and splash a TINY bit of green for it, i just dont have any of the card atm

i also really like the 2 enchants u suggested, the first one gives both defensive and offensive options *(if im reading it correctly) and the 2nd one is just a good card... flying and +2+2 for 2 mana. sounds good imo


I would probably throw in a couple of Holy Mantles at the top of the curve. Also I think you should focus on making the creatures you're enchanting harder to kill, so maybe like 4 Invisible Stalker 2 Dispel to help with that.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
DarthXX
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia998 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-27 08:53:33
February 27 2013 08:51 GMT
#6360
On February 27 2013 15:33 Louuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2013 14:22 DarthXX wrote:
On February 27 2013 10:52 Durp wrote:
My friends and I have brought back EDH for some more casual playing, and I'm thinking I want to make some semblance of a control deck. I've always had this hard on for Toshiro Umezawa and being able to flashback all my kill spells, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to justify running any general other than Damia, Sage of Stone if I want to play some control.

Any thoughts for EDH help gents?

There are lots of generals suited to control, I just don't think its particularly fun in EDH but to each their own, A few controlly generals off the top of my head.

Dralnu. Don't let his drawback fool you, there are some spells that were never meant to be flashed back (flash backed?) especially in U/B

Azami is also a monster, and she will probably draw you more cards over the course of a game than Damia will.

Other options include Sharuum and Niv-Mizzet but these are more combo generals with control elements to them.

You can also make a really obnoxious stax deck using Mishra but I would not recommend it if you like either your friends or value your physical safety


Either Im not seeing something really obvious, or Mishra doesnt do anything as a general except suffle your deck a lot lol?



He does 2 things, first he lets you shuffle your deck which can be very useful.

More importantly however due to the way his ability is worded it checks for cards of the same name. The relevant clause is that it checks the graveyard. You run him with Nether Void and Blood Funnel. What happens is you cast a spell, do not pay the additional cost on either of those two cards, it gets countered and goes to the graveyard. Mishra's ability then resolves letting you put a card with the same as the one you cast from either your hand, library or gy onto the battlefield. Obviously you choose the one which just went to the gy. From there you are able to play spells a whole 5 mana cheaper than other players and they're almost uncounterable. There are several ways to build around these effects, the most popular one I've seen is storm with a bunch of cheap artifacts and card draw or locking down the board with lots of cheap permanents and slowly strangling the board down with a Smokestack or something
Prev 1 316 317 318 319 320 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft423
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft423
RuFF_SC2 133
Nina 84
-ZergGirl 70
CosmosSc2 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2346
Bale 12
yabsab 9
Terrorterran 4
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto12
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1175
taco 366
minikerr21
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox630
Other Games
summit1g8258
JimRising 732
Day[9].tv494
C9.Mang0411
WinterStarcraft197
ViBE169
Maynarde138
Sick136
Livibee134
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1052
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream157
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 16
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv494
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 15m
Stellar Fest
10h 15m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.